Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C1 Sounds. Thinking out loud

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
ForeignKid
driver

Post by ForeignKid »

I think - and im sure most of c1 lovers will agree, that C1 (C2 also) sounds kinda suck..

Giving the fact that the developers have put a lot of work into physics and game looks, the sounds, dear sirs, are awful.. they are a bit lame(unnatural) and very disturbing(squeaky)..

First time i played C1, the sounds werent setup.. and i didnt even notice.. for 3 years(i thought it doesnt have any).. but when I noticed the sndsetup.exe file i was like "wow! carma has sounds".. and there was the great disappointment..

I recently played Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, which reminded me of C1.. and i immagined C1 with NFS HP2010 sounds.. ah if only..

anywho - i see people try to make clones.. and i think it would be a good idea for them to change the sounds..
Ride the bike now!..
..the funk soul brother!!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Well with the copyright thing i guess those sounds can't be used. But if it can i don't think we should change that..as the clones should feel like the Carma we know.
ForeignKid
driver

Post by ForeignKid »

yes.. but then I dont see the point in making a clone, if it is an exact copy of the original.. why dont play the original... +- addons..

dont get me wrong.. I am an "original" junkie miself.. but if the original has its downsides that can be changed, why not change that?

for example I love what nile did in his clone with the Hawk model - he just made a mesh fin blade, rather than a texture.. and it looks way better..

what I dont like about altering - is crappy cars, that i see allaround..
btw - i didn't see cool fan made cars(whell there are few exceptions.. like 0.1% of all), but the original ones rule!
Ride the bike now!..
..the funk soul brother!!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

So you're not liking my last few C1 cars? Ok, great start :P LOL

Anyway isn't a clone an exact copy anyway? :) Altering the blade to have a chunkier 3d model isn't really an alternate thing like changing all sounds though. Besides, i don't have a trouble with them.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

3D blades?! You're clearly mad. We will not be able to accomplish this feat until at least mid-1999!

Here is an artist's rendering of what scientists believe may be possible by the time we hit December 2004: (assuming the newly discovered "Y2K bug" does not disrupt progress indefinitely...although it almost certainly will)
[nmg]https://crud.cwaboard.co.uk/misc/hawk.jpg[/nmg]

What's stopping you with the sounds? they're just standard wav files in the data\sound folder... have at 'em.

The only sound in C1 I've ever found the least bit annoying was the police siren...I've replaced nearly everything in C2 with equally silly stuff, but that was the only C1 sound I saw fit to replace.

Check who’s online