Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Shipper me lippers!

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Bill
hit n run

Shipper me lippers!

Post by Bill »

I was wondering if anyone knew a good car shipping company. My pa and I have found a few but they mostly range about $399-$599 to get a non-running Citroen 2CV from Cape Girardeau MO to O' Fallon MO. I find the rates kind of stupid since I got my Honda Z600 from CO for $600 as the shiiping price back in 2005, is the increase because of gas or just the companies being dumb? By the way the 2CV weighs around 1200 pounds I beleive.
Speed can come in a little packages too!
Alan
Honkey

Re: Shipper me lippers!

Post by Alan »

Why not just rent a truck and trailer and get it that way? I've done this a few times, hell it's not like it's on the other side of the country!
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

I don't think it's a matter weight, but rather a matter of space. I would agree with Alan though. Go to U-Haul and rent a truck with a tow dolly to get it home. That would probably cost less than $600.
Bill
hit n run

Post by Bill »

Exspress auto just gave my pa and I a quote of $795. I think my dad and I are going to try that U-Haul thing if we can rent a regular pick-up truck, they want us to use that small moving truck even though we're not putting anything in the back part. If I end up with the 2CV I'll post pictures. I swear the darn thing was looking at me when I was in front of it "her maybe?" while visiting the owners place, does it "she?" like me or something? :confused:
Deathrow
aka kyle_tdr

Post by Deathrow »

I knew the US post system had gone to hell on shipping orders to the UK a while ago, but i didnt realise they were butchering their own people aswell.

Bill, 2CV, why?! Do you have a death wish or somthing? Especially if your in the states and surrounding by those huge trucks all the time, they might not see you in a little CV and drive over it and never be the wiser :wink:.

Good luck getting your car dude.
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

Actually, shipping autos is a tricky business. they have to worry, for one about the gas, handleing, insurance on it.. from what I remember about getting quotes, they wanted about 800 or so to ship a car from anywhere to just about anywhere, unless you are talking from like wyoming to florida, then it shot up to about 1200. california to florida would be more like 1600. So the prices are up there, but you also have to consider what they are gonna have to do to get your car there.

I agree though.... just get a buddy with a truck and rent a dolly... LOL To heck with renting a truck at uhaul... or better yet... goto hertz or nations rent and rent a truck.
Bill
hit n run

Post by Bill »

To Deathrow: Yea, I know its not safe but if ya saw my Honda you'd probably think it was more dangerous. You've added a 3rd reason to my list why I don't want a Subaru 360. I know 2Cv's have alot of room because my Dad sat in back and I sat up front and it was just fine. If anyone wants to know I'll give you my reasons for getting a 2CV:

1.They look really cool.

2.3 bolts\nuts to take off for a whole front fender.

3.It gets 50 MPG which is less than my Honda but I get more room in it.

4.I can make the headlights rotate up and down.

5.They've been my dream car for a long time.

6.This paticular one I might get made me think it was starring at me, I've been around an 80's 2CV, my Honda, and numorous VW Beetles and never got that feeling.

7.It's by all means a weird car by US standards and maybe Europes, and I know some people say I'm unique and stuff but I think I'm just weird in a good way like a 2CV.
Alan
Honkey

Post by Alan »

6.This paticular one I might get made me think it was starring at me, I've been around an 80's 2CV, my Honda, and numorous VW Beetles and never got that feeling.

That's a criteria for buying a car? You felt it was staring at you?! Also the fact that 3 bolts hold on a fender!? How often do you plan on removing the fenders that this is a main selling point? It also gets about 50mpg because it has tiny engine which isnt even really suited for highway travel. Good luck getting it though, but if you can't fix your own cars, as I seem to recall from another post you'll have a hell of a time with a 2CV or any old car for that matter, just get a nice new car, maybe it'll stare at you too.. :wink:
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Post by autopilot »

No No No to what alan says! Get the oddly shaped francais tin can thingy, ain't nothing wrong with being aberrant! Why be a douche like everyone else?!

Alan
Honkey

Post by Alan »

Did I say NOT to get it? No! Aberrant? Every car I've driven fits that description! And who's a douche??
Bill
hit n run

Post by Bill »

To Alan: Removing the fenders allows for easier access to the motor aswell as removing the hood and from what the owner says she could go 60 all day so technicly I could go on the highway if I had to. The only thing it needs to my knowledge is the seats need some movement thing fixed and the original owner thinks he burned a valve, I know he's going to give us alot of free extra parts like the sunroof top, an extra hood, and some literature books. I met him probably a year ago on a yahoo 2CV group and talked to him about selling it and out of the blue a few weeks ago I got an e-mail from him about it stating he has to sell it because he needs some money.

To autopilot: Didn't you make an NSU TT, some Volvos, aswell as some Renaults? I like the detail you put in them, nice job. And what do you mean like the other "douche"? Theres really nobody around in the states let alone MO that know what a 2CV is, which the only bad part about that at all is that they always assume its a bug despite it looking more dated and being FF rather than RR. And if you think I hate the US in reality I actually kind of like the US now and the only real complaint is some things George W. Bush has done, but hey theres probably some Americans who agree, right?
Bill
hit n run

Arrr! Raise the anchor matey!

Post by Bill »

I know I'm double posting but I'm doing this because my above post is already long, we tried U-Haul and they gave us a price higher than their quote so right now my fathers looking at some rental trucks, hopefully we'll set out tommorrow (Sunday), wish me luck and don't forget the 15th's my birthday. :grin:
Bill
hit n run

Re: Arrr! Raise the anchor matey!

Post by Bill »

Okay, sorry for triple posting but my edit time on the last post expired and right now its Sunday, the person who has the car is getting the money in the mail and he got a little frustraited because we were going to use U-Haul but their price was higher than the quote (They did it again) and my dad knows a guy at his work that could do it but my father dosen't want to have him bring it here because you're not supposed to have your own employees do that kind of stuff (Either his work really does suck or my dads a softee). Right now I'm waiting for my father to find a place to take my permit test but apparently when he's on the computer he forgets about my permit but remembers crap like a Corvair van. My fathers getting frustrated over this whole shipping thing which always means he'll start saying crap like "Next time I buy a car it'll be within 30 miles of here) which would slim my options from being lucky to find anything to nothing as there is rarely any good cars for sale within 30 miles. Can anyone here help with a permit? I'm almost freaking 16 and haven't driven anything since probably 4 years ago when I drove a stupid go-kart. :mad:
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

A learner's permit in the USA is way easy. It's just common sense questions. Just read the driver's handbook once through and you should be good. You just need to know the shape and colors of the signs, what the signs mean, some rules of the road, and basic knowledge stuff. Not too hard.
Alan
Honkey

Post by Alan »

Yeah it's the road test that gets ya! I hit a curb and a telephone pole before I passed mine! It also didnt help judge distance when I learned on a Vw Bug and took the test in an 84 Buick LeSabre 4 door!.. that was fun... :beer:
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

ROTFL! My sister's learning to drive now and my dad's teaching her in his Focus. When she goes back to school to take driver's ed, she'll have to deal with the driver's ed car: a 1993 Crown Victoria!
Bill
hit n run

(Insert pirate themed talk here)

Post by Bill »

Well, on my birthday (the 15th of this month) I'll probably go to take the test. Right now I just got back after delivering the 2CV to my house through U-Haul and this time they didn't screw up.

Check who’s online