Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Deathproof

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
JohnStercus
mechanic

Deathproof

Post by JohnStercus »

Just an update, guys, I have actually taken it upon myself to make Slayer's '74 Nova "Deathproof."

To begin, I downloaded Car Ed and managed to remove the hood scoop, fill the hole it occuppied and smooth it out.

Easy, peasy.

See, ma, no hood scoop.

Still up on the list:

1. Retexturing the whole car in black

2. Retexturing the hood in black and adding the skull and cross-bones

3. Removing the rear and passenger seats from the interior, maybe adding the rollcage and the passanger stool.

4. Retexturing the Driver's Face to Kurt Russel's.

5. Changing the License Plates to match the movie plates.

6. Slightly tweaking the physics to make the car more sturdy and collision resistant.

I may also:

1. Put Pam's corpse in the passenger stool, with head leaning on the dash. :rockon:

2. Add the Woody Woodpecker Hood Ornament. (It's probably both outside of my "talents" and too high poly to put in the game, maybe a simplified version)

It should be done sometime next week if I avoid laziness.

If anyone would like to help make this a reality, I'd really appreciate a retexturing of the current face to Kurt Russel's.

I'll keep everyone posted.

"I’d guesstimate it’s a sex thing; it's the only way I can figure it. High velocity impact... Twisted metal... Busted glass... Four souls taken at exactly the same time... Probably the only way that diabolical degenerate can shoot his goo."
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Deathproof

Post by coffeycup »

heh cool. Attached is Kurt
TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

I enjoyed that movie even more the 2nd time when I noticed the red car was a Civic.
JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

Fuck yea, thanks, Coffey. It looks great.
"I’d guesstimate it’s a sex thing; it's the only way I can figure it. High velocity impact... Twisted metal... Busted glass... Four souls taken at exactly the same time... Probably the only way that diabolical degenerate can shoot his goo."
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

Am I the only one here who thought that movie could have been just as interesting edited down to about 30 minutes?

I mean seriously,

3 minutes in the bar, the destruction of a perfectly good nova, the little hospital scene then cut to the 3 girls in the white hoopty and that car chase/bash sequence. fin

and really that sequence took too long. the chick had a gun in her purse the whole time? throw your purse to the chic in the back seat, have her dig out the gun, then next time the jackass pulls alongside, perforate him.

I want an hour and a half of my life back please [/rant]

but the nova was freakin sweet. looking forward to the model.
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

eh, you should've put spoiler alert in yer title
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Yeah too much spoilers here, cause i just had to search and find out what car it is (that red car) :tongue:
TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

I thought that the red car was some 80s Mustang or something?

Ye sick bastard.

Nary there been a Mustang with wheels that close to it's rear. And certainly not with such anus-like wheels.

JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

Don't forget to ask permission to Slayer

Already sent him an email asking for persmission last night. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Econobrick, if you could ask for me, that'd be pretty cool.

*spoilers*

Hairba11, I dunno man, I really liked the second half of the movie. When that New Zealand chick was strapped to the hood and Stuntman Mike was trying to ram them off the road... That was real suspenseful.

Plus, there's a reason cops don't really try to shoot out the tires of another car in chase. They're both going 100 miles per hour and with that revolver they would have only had 6 chances to either hit him or his car in such a way that would have ended the chase. Most definitely could be done, but you can't expect people to always be able to do the right thing at the right moment in a stressful situation.

*end spoliers*

In short, I didn't think it stretches the imagination too far at all and I liked the movie as a whole.
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

Sorry for the spoilers. didn't realize everyone oohing the car was working from previews.

I still think the hottie of the movie was the redhead, and they never mind, more spoilers I guess.

I think it would have been better with some gratuitous nudity, but that is my take on most films.
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

Ok, I'm having some problems with my CarEd.

I cannot compile the model in CarEd. I get no popup error message, but nothing actually happens and the dos prompt reads:

CarEd tutorial here and the packed CarEd manual does not help.

JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

Shit, I meant export .ASC not compile. :crazy:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

why do you want to export .ASC?

I don't know if that feature actually works in CarEd

It looks like the compile worked from the log.

Right before the exception it says "Done in 5478 ms"
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Export to ASC should work as that's the way (the easy way as C2Scientist describes it in his tut) you save a bbox and get it to PT2.
JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

Well, I worked out the problems I was having and I have a beta/WIP release for you guys.

Enjoy. It should have no compatibility issues with Slayer's stock Nova.

I still have to tweak the physics some more and the license plates still have to be retextured, but so far it works and is in the game.

So far, the car has been hardened and it's max speed and acceleration increased. But, I don't have the brakes set up real proper. Does anyone know the proper settings to make a car do perfect 180* E-brake turns?

Download

Also, there's a problem, a bug with the hood. When damaged it floats far above or below the vehicle until it is repaired, right in mid-air. Anyone know how to fix this?

Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Hmm, if you're going to bother making it a separate car from the '74, couldn't you have at least tried to make the front look like a 68-72 Nova? I bet it could be done fairly well by just moving some existing vertices on the front. Just sayin'...
JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

The 70 and The 74 are practically the same model.

'70:

'74:

Also, I had to make it a separate car, as the '74 mesh itself had to be modified to make this.
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

Yeah, but the earlier car has a more "pointy" front and just looks meaner. And the federally mandated 5 MPH bumper just looks horrible.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

And also, where's the thing on the hood? :grin:

I would like to see the nose more pointy to, i mean to be more exact like the one in the movie..
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Practically yes, other than the front, which is the whole reason why I brought it up. :P

Trivia! My Dad actually had a red '74 Nova years ago...which is why my brother made that model in the first place. :B

The very same reason also applies to:

-'67 Olds Cutlass

-'66 Lincoln Continental

..Fact!?
JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

Erm, guys, did you notice, I said WIP and beta? (Hope I don't sound too defensive :crazy:)

There's still plenty more I'm planning to do with this thing... I'm definitely going to add a roll cage, mod the interior, change the interior cam up a bit, and I'll try my best to make the hood ornament. This release is just something for you all to screw around with in the mean time.

Since there's such a call for it, I'll see what I can do about making the front a bit more aggressive (?) looking to better match the '70 Nova. I probably won't change the bumper.

Thanks for the feedback, fellas. Don't hold back on anything else you have to say.

Econobrick, can/did you ask Slayer for permission for me? I still haven't got a reply from him on my email.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Looks good to me!

I think the front grille can be fixed through textures mostly, the way it wraps around the outer "points". I haven't looked at the model in CarEd, but you'd probably have to edit the texture used for the front quarter panel too, where the last 2 or 3 inches of the grille wrap around onto it.

I haven't seen the movie (I added it to my netFlix queque), is the car blue or black?

Oh, for the hood ornament, you know how trees are done in C2, with 2 intersecting planes?

Why not do the Woody ornament the same way?
JohnStercus
mechanic

Post by JohnStercus »

The car is flat/matte black, it only looks slightly bluish in the first photo because of night and the lighting.

Take a look at the lower photo and you'll see that it's black.

I think intersecting planes would look kinda shitty. It's okay for shrubbery, but for an ornament? I'll probably make a very simple solid version and complete the effect with textures.

Two bits on the sides of grill are a fairly simple business to add. I just modify the quarter panel. Then maybe stretch out some of the vertices on the sides and bam, perfect.

I also agree with you guys, that the middle of the front tapers to an aggressive looking point on it. As someone mentioned, this is also a simple strething fix.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

Am keeping my eye on this thread, so I'll update the zip accordly :rockon:

Check who’s online