Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Is anyone else frustrated by the lack of updates?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
coffeycup
Genesis

Is anyone else frustrated by the lack of updates?

Post by coffeycup »

(Yes, this has been discussed over at Carma.com forums already, but I've stopped posting over there as I just end up getting pissed over the mentality displayed there sometimes.) :wink:

I know the devs are busy coding and all, but other than the news about the mobile and GOG releases of the old games, we haven't really heard much about the NEW game lately.

I understand that showing WIP is a double-edged sword, people see early screens and jump on them and rip them apart like they're a finished product.

But even a text-only update teasers wouldn't be a bad thing. Ya know? We're in the 4th quarter of 2012, you'd think there'd be a little more communication.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Re: Is anyone else frustrated by the lack of updates?

Post by Mastro 666 »

Yeah, I feel the same about the lack of updates. Can't wait for some info on the New Sumo map. :tongue:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I only occasionally visit the carma.com forums for the same reasons, JC.

As excited as I am for C:R, I'm a little disappointed that it seems to just be a remake of the original Carmageddon with nothing really all that new added. I would have liked for Stainless to make a direct sequel to C2, perhaps set straight after Max escaped from the Silo Area, ah well at least we're actually getting another Carmageddon!

As for the lack of updates, I do completely agree on that, as soon as the Kickstarter ended and the celebrations died down it seems like things are progressing rather slowly.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, I'm hoping there are new levels too.

One more thing that is probably just sour grapes on my part, but I'm not sure why a bunch of us old-timers signed a non-disclosure agreement. We don't know any more than your average Joe off the streets. Was it just to get free publicity via our various websites? meh.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

One more thing that is probably just sour grapes on my part, but I'm not sure why a bunch of us old-timers signed a non-disclosure agreement.
To not spoil the beans before any official announcement of course...

It is quite silent around reincarnation isn't it?

The video we got in the beginning was great, it showed potential and obviously what still needed to be done, but like you said about screenshots, it might have recoiled somewhat because of all the negative comments that it caused.

I would care for some information about the general game aspects, you know. How is the physics engine improved, what are it's features etc... but that's just the tech side of me I guess... Seeing actual content is usually a no no for me, as it kind of spoils a bit of the fun you have when running the game for the first time.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

coffeycup wrote:Yeah, I'm hoping there are new levels too.

One more thing that is probably just sour grapes on my part, but I'm not sure why a bunch of us old-timers signed a non-disclosure agreement. We don't know any more than your average Joe off the streets. Was it just to get free publicity via our various websites? meh.
I'm still hoping for the NDA guys to get at least some form of prototype/alpha build to fuck about in but it seems unlikely.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Razor wrote:I'm still hoping for the NDA guys to get at least some form of prototype/alpha build to fuck about in but it seems unlikely.
That's what I was hoping too, but alas I think you're right. It'll probably be kept internal. :ssad:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well personaly I'm pretty sure we'll get some candy later, but we must wait for them to work much further first. C:R isn't their only game in dev, and other little related projects like the Mobile port still takes time etc. :/
On the other hand, maybe we aren't doing much to keep in touch with the devs? Maybe we could simply keep on contacting nobby by email etc.?
Also few of us are still active on the carma.com forum for example, I understand it to be tiring though :spissd:

As for C:R I still think they'll add new environments and opponents.
Or else it would just be stupid remake.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

Really hard to keep alive the thread i create (in a lot of website) when they launch their kickstarter campaign ...
frustrating
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Post by Teutonicus »

(Dark_Pontifex): I´m also getting bored checking out carmageddon.com. seems like the whole excitement is going down. i also think the industrial-injury-reborn updates are just not enough. I support the idea that the Community VIP Members should drop nobby a message - just to have a statement or so
Fireman
motorised death

Post by Fireman »

It seems to only be getting worse in lack of updates, I'm usually rather patient when it comes to updates (heck, Project Zomboid has done half a year without an update) but they always make me worry

Hopefully we'll get some screens with the multiplayer update.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well the update about Fox and Hounds multi was encouraging. But some vid or screens would be nice too.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I was a little disappointed by the lack of images/video.
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

images or it didnt happen!! :twisted:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I'm not frustrated at all to be honest.
The less they show and the longer they take to finish the game, the better it is for me.

Something I'd like however is the team working on the title to be presented correctly.

On another note, I'm really wondering about their position in regard to the real community (read: us) and our activity. They needed our help to start the forum and get things going and probably to offer support for the mods etc. I think we did properly on that point with most of us posting our releases there even though gaining few attention in comparison to the amount of users there. But we never get any feedback from Stainless. At all.

This really got me wondering when the GOG C1 was released. Stainless offered NO support at all for it. Even though I guess it was something to be taken care of by GOG, in this eyes of people this is a Stainless product and thus most of noobs came asking for support on the carma.com forums (IMO people on the GOG forums seem more used to tweak the GOG releases a bit further to get what they want). It is because I helped GOG with the release that I posted 300+ posts to help newbies on the official forum. A handful of other members helped as well but not in a systematic way like me. Stainless never posted a single message to help with us nor a single thanks to us for the support we gave...

Sorry for the poor quality of my english, in a hurry.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Tosh,

I really have to applaud your patience and effort helping all those people getting C1 & C2 running. I have neither the patience nor the technical knowledge. I get my setup working and then I try not to mess with it (though I will try that ENB mod).

I too was hoping for a little more communication from Stainless even if it was just posting a short message in the forums.

For a while I was not posting at all on the Carma.com forums except occasionally to the Mods section, which is sort of a black hole over there.

Recently I have really made an effort to be on my best behaviour and start posting in the main discussion area. Tried to create a few new topics that weren't just another 'hErEs mY aWeSum iDeArs' thread.

Most of the dumb shit I make, I make for myself. I post them to share, do not expect many downloads. But I do do stuff specifically for the community like the Name Generatuur. Looks like a lot of people are actually clicking that topic. I know this is purely an ego thing, but I was kinda hoping to see a comment from anyone on the Stainless team.

Oh well.

p.s. Tosh your English is better than most people's.. on either side of the Atlantic. :sbsmile:
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

Agree with both of you on this

I thought Stainless would get us more involved as a community especially seeing as we all have contributed in some way over the last 15 years! keeping the carmageddon scene going.

What other game can come back after so many years and have a community with a wealth of knowledge and to be so helpful to the new peeps within the community without even saying 'thank you'

Bah, I'll stick with Rockstar they know how to keep and look after their fans!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

I'm not really that frustrated either. More eager to see something, but it doesn't bother me that they show us little of the new game. I wouldn't want the first tryout to be spoiled actually.

I too think it's too bad they don't interact with the community more. Just an occasional comment on topics that are actually worth while commenting wouldn't be that hard would it? Perhaps they are having the same problem as I am. The whole carmageddon.com board just goes by me. I wouldn't know where to start reading or commenting to be honest. But then there is still CWA. I wonder if they ever give this board a second look...

And tosh, I second Coffey's opinion about your patience and devotion to the carmageddon community. At some point I tried to be just as helpful, but it just take so much time and patience to come up with helpful and relevant replies. I just can't seem to bother much, specially if people don't take proper time to do a little research or plain thinking... I often catch myself thinking: if you can't figure out how to do the basic stuff as setting up the game and getting the tools running, then you will probably be a small contribution to the community and not worth my efforts... is that bad? Anyway, I think you are doing a great job and I really appreciate it! And you should get more credit for that from stainless dammit! :wink:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Harmalarm wrote:The whole carmageddon.com board just goes by me. I wouldn't know where to start reading or commenting to be honest. ...
Yeah, I just ran into that problem. I searched for other related topics, didn't really find what I was looking for so ended up randomly picking one of the many 'post your ideas here' threads. Where it will most likely never be read.
Harmalarm wrote:...I often catch myself thinking: if you can't figure out how to do the basic stuff as setting up the game and getting the tools running, then you will probably be a small contribution to the community and not worth my efforts... is that bad?
if it's bad, then I think the same thing. If they can't even unzip a file and read the README.TXT then getting pulled into their problem is just a time suck and an exercise in frustration.

All too often I'd end up in a fight without intending to because they'd take my smarmy comment too seriously..even when I'd put a damn winky or smiley.

Here's my last rant then I'm off my soapbox I swear there's pigeon mentality over there. Everyone flocks to the latest post, says the same thing over and over ad nauseum pecking it to death. Then just hang around until someone drops another breadcrumb. Then off they go with the 500 word manifesto mind dumps...and I do mean dump. :poo:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I think you all pretty much covered how I feel about the carmageddon.com forums.
This place is far more civilised.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hey R,

Yeah, I think that it's simply that we converse. (I'm probably repeating myself now) - too many threads are just like this line of people waiting to get up on stage, say their piece then let the guy behind say whatever's bugging him.
It's like some demented town hall meeting with everyone trying to get their word in, yelling over each other. :argue:
This place here is sort of more like a pub. Where the real business is done. :scool:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

coffeycup wrote:This place here is sort of more like a pub.
We used to throw chairs all over the place too! :grin:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Toshiba-3 wrote:
coffeycup wrote:We used to throw chairs all over the place too! :grin:
That's what gives it its charm.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

coffeycup wrote:
Toshiba-3 wrote:
coffeycup wrote:We used to throw chairs all over the place too! :grin:
That's what gives it its charm.
Heh. Yeah, but we always did everything in our power to avoid breaking the big mirror behind the bar.

I seem to remember that being a beaucoup no-no.

:grin:
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

I'm not frustrated to be honest, the longer they spend on the game, the better.
And I think for most of us here, we're just glad to see a brand spanking new Carmageddon!
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Great, now we have people who apparently have only played TDR giving suggestions on how to make C:R better. Lord save us. :techsupport:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

coffeycup wrote:Great, now we have people who apparently have only played TDR giving suggestions on how to make C:R better. Lord save us. :techsupport:
As long as Stainless don't listen to anybody on the forum then we should be safe.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ya know, Stainless made C1 and C2 without out any outside input, and those turned out just fine, IMO. I'm happy to let Nobby, Batwick, Sim and the rest of the crew use their judgement on what to include.

From my experience in the corporate world, trying to work a million suggestions into a product doesn't always produce the best experience. Just sayin'.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Just for shits and giggles I PM'd Sim and sent her the link to the Carma Name Generator.

She replied and said it was cool, but it's also clear she hadn't seen it before. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the Stainless folks really only check their own threads i.e. STATS!

All those other threads? I think they are as overwhelmed as we are looking through them. So, I'm really thinking a lot of the 'my 2 cents' threads are worth just about that 2 cents. :wink:

Kinda a shame really, I think as misguided as they are, some people are trying to be helpful. But you can only stand on the mountain top and shout into the wind for so long before you get frustrated and walk away. :crazy:

Even if they just chimed in on a random topic now and then, you know spend 10 minutes responding with a non-committal 'Nice one', 'Cool stuff, guys' or some other meaningless platitude it would at least give the impression the 11,000+ posts aren't just garbage.

Oops, am I sounding bitter? Mmmmm, yup.

Poor widdle coffeycup has a bruised ego, waah :tongue:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I totally agree with you :sad:
The Carma.com forum turned (in my eyes uh) to be quite counter-productive. There's just so many ideas, inputs, comments in an unorganized, unsorted manner that it serves no purpose anymore! Exactly as you implied, we can really see when Stainless needs feedback, they don't really care about the rest (which, somehow, might be for the best heh!). Would need a lot of time to read it all anyway. Shane seems to do what he can but I guess he has a lot of other things to prepare, esp. in regard to the Kickstarter goods.

But yes, when there's an original, quality topic that clearly stands out of the rest, they should drop by and leave a little comment. Or even further, they could easily feature some of the users' initiatives on the front page and make a global/social announcement to make that initiative bigger. Your Carma Name Generator is the first thing that crosses my mind. But a lot of other threads seem great too, like these lego setups, fan arts/comics, etc.

All in all there's something's off with the new community. Ofcourse things will change a lot when the game will be released (it's gonna be a major shitstorm??!!).
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Hey all!

Just been reading all your posts and you do mention a lot of good points and some good feedback which I'll communicate with the team here. We try and read as much as we can on the carmageddon.com forums and get involved but there is always a lot going on in there and as you can imagine we also have our heads buried in C:R development!

I check out these forums when I can to find out what y'all are up to - recently been posting around the Trailer thread and Cockpit project to the guys in the office!

Please don't hesitate in sending me a PM if you have any issues or suggestions on us being more vocal with the community, or if you feel we need to do more - we really appreciate the work you've been doing in not only keeping the Carmageddon community alive, but helping out the new fans finding out about us!
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hi Shane

Thanks for swinging by. We know you guys are real busy.
You'll have to excuse some of my passionate rantings,
but sad as it may sound, this game factors daily into some aspect of my life. :oops:

Yes, CWR's cockpits and Maxine's trailers are pretty dang cool, ain't they? We're keeping ourselves busy until C:R arrives. :smile:
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Post by Teutonicus »

Nice interview with a litttle bit of new information about C:R
http://riotpixels.com/carmageddon-reinc ... -original/

Dark_Pontifex
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

Razor wrote:As excited as I am for C:R, I'm a little disappointed that it seems to just be a remake of the original Carmageddon with nothing really all that new added.
I'm getting this impression too.

So far the maps and the vehicles are mostly just rehashes of C1 ones - while the eyecandy and all the advances in physics over the years are nice, C:R is feeling a bit...I dunno, bland? My immediate instinct is to say "I wish they included some content from C2 too", but how many of the new characters in C2 were memorable anyway? :ssurpr:

Maybe my feelings will improve once we get a proper cockpit view and some custom content. The latter is pretty much why I still play C2 after all these years.

Check who’s online