Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Polycount: 943 tris.
At first wanted a way lower poly budget but apparently went for a C2 budget?! Thus it might end in C2 too?! Not sure I'm going to add a driver for C1 though :mad:

Going to make textures and map now..!

Oh btw it is based on this artwork and these hotwheels.
And it's a request from TTR.
hazardic
motorised death

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by hazardic »

looks pretty good. some mad custom modding here lol
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Harmalarm »

I think this is a really cool model indeed. Great choice of car to model too! I cannot wait to see it textured. I think the chrome and metal parts can be really cool.

I think poly-wise there is something to gain here though. The headlights for example; a good texture would do the trick. You could achieve more detail and get rid of the 6 sides circles that will probably be visible.

You could also lose some poly's on the inside of the wheels. Making the inside flat, although you probably tested that? I do like those front wheels very much though!

and the rear of the body, the thin structure. Isn't it easier to make it entirely flat? Like a 1 poly 'wall' with a double sided texture? Same goes for the mudguards I think.

And no driver model? I see where that comes from as it would be less fun to model and would yet increase the polycount, but some C1 cars even have driver model heads and stuff.

What are your plans for the texture? A single texture? Alpha channels? I cannot wait to see some of that! Great work so far
hazardic
motorised death

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by hazardic »

btw the next one is grat too http://www.hotwheels.com/cars/barbaric
truly carma spirit. a mix of eagle and fearrari f666
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by TTR »

Really nice, hope you will add a driver (and not me :P)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@ Harm: well actually you are thinking the whole model again! IMO for a 1000 tris budget the poly distribution is rather coherent. What is left is what I need for the driver (but yeah I don't like making characters that much). Your suggestions are great ofcourse, but for a 500 tris budget (what I wanted before actually starting the model) but then I should also simplify the wheels, the rollcage (crossed planes instead), remove champhers here and there, and then simplify the engine, tank and grill. By then the Jeep would be close to 500 tris but it would also become ugly in my eyes, as this concept isn't that lowpoly-tricks-friendly if you see what I mean?
About the headlights I hesitated indeed but somehow it seems to me like it is a must. Ofcourse a good texture could kinda do the trick, but they would look flat anyway while it isn't the case at all. If you have a look at the artwork you'll notice they come out a lot (impact-wise I mean) so they are important details in my eyes, and as their depth looks the same as the width of the wheel wells or the back I think I have to model it as well.
BTW I like using a lot of floating geo but I'm not fond of "thin" paper-like geometry when they are open/easily noticeable! The back (behind the seats) is more like a small rack so I need that geometry anyway.

About texturing/mapping, I'm not too sure yet. I'd like to use as much 1px width stretching as possible but I'm kinda afraid of filtering at seams if someone uses the car with a glidewrapper or if I put it in C2. Will have to read what are the solutions to avoid that, somehow I think a 1px border around the actual mapped uvw parts should do the trick. Texturing might turn out to be a bit abstract but it should render the same as the artwork I hope. If it could all fit in a 128² I'd be happy (driver not included). Or a 128*64! That'd be even greater! Transparency only for the steering wheel, maybe suspensions.

Actually I don't think I'll put it in C2. I should have thought the whole thing differently.

@ Hazardic: I didn't even have a look at the other cars! That one's nice but a bit too TDRish no?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
hazardic
motorised death

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by hazardic »

i don't think so. this.. thing above the roof is quite easy to transform into blade-a-la-eagleMK1 and boxy corners look very suitable for all c1 cars. not rounded corners like in tdr. well it's just an art so maybe the first impression is very vivid, but i think it's good enough for c1/c2 universe
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by TTR »

If you look at the Barbaric in a more squary way it would be indeed better looking then what is is now. I'm not overly liking those custom thought up cars HotWheels been releasing anyway too heh.
Doritos
driver

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Doritos »

the barbaric could be a good c1/c2 candidate...
http://hotwheels.wikia.com/wiki/Barbaric

i might have to try and model one, one day
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Harmalarm »

I see what you mean with the model not being low-poly-tricks friendly yes. Also I think you are right about the flat planes for the mudguards and the rear, on second thought that might look too much like paper indeed...

I do think the model could be worth putting in c2 though. The clearly visible interior and possible driver model would fit very well in it.

This model will also prove a nice challenge for the cockpit image in c1. Are you going to create a custom texture?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Sorry Harm, forgot to reply to your post back then. I'm not too sure about the custom cockpit image, I should make one though. I'm not sure about a C2 port either, I made this for C1 with C1 colors etc. A shell could help with the smoothing etc. I don't know yet heh.

Anyway WIP#2, I'm still alive, progressing slowly with this, lots of business work and other IRL stuff make me want to throw the computer through the window when the evening comes :mad:

Engine block isn't done. Wheels, susp, seats, steering wheel, dash, under.
So far everything's inside a 64*64 texture area but I doubt I'll be able to put everything in a final 128*64 texture. Dash, seats, and wheels might be problematic.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by TTR »

:O nice!! Good thing you urged me that you wanted to make it haha, couldn;t have done it better.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Harmalarm »

chromeymeloney! :D

I like it that you are trying to keep the texture size to a miniumum. Are the black lines part of the texture of wire frame display? The seemingly rounded off edges on the chrome tank on the front look good, as if the outer edges are chamfer-ed.

I wonder if and how the texture will fit!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey Harm, everything's part of the texture so far. I'm not using rendering tricks. I've progressed more with the mapping and I think I should be able to put everything in a single 128*64 texture :)
Also I had a look at how it renders with mip maps and filtering ON and it's ok, so it could be put into C2 with minor changes to the UV.

I hate seats.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I can do it too!

Available soon in your nearest Carmageddon shop.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Harmalarm »

I SAWR IT ON POLYCOUNTZ FIRST!?!

Well ain't that lookin' sweet! Man that texture is tiny. Do my eyes deceive me or isn't a single pixel unused? Nice work man!
Like I said before, the chrome looks very convincing, and I see that you managed to get those chairs in very nicely too. Also the texture for the rear wheels is great. It almost seems like the wheel polygon has real relief

It'll be a great addition to C1, for sure
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by TTR »

So nice... :D The treads on the real wheels really look 3D there, holy shit.
hazardic
motorised death

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by hazardic »

hey i like it. can't wait to drive it around new hell map
n3wton
Wasted!

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by n3wton »

great stuff Tosh! looks well nice! :D
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for the feedback!
Here it be available at Road Reaction now!

Custom '42 Jeep CJ-2A
Download it at RR2000!

Check who’s online