Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Mc. Leach - wildlife hunter gone mad!

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

This monster is featured in the disney movie 'The rescuers, down under'. Mc. Leach, a vicious poaching psychopath, is driving this self made truck, capturing rare wildlife to fill his wallet.

In the movie the truck is used for quick access to his setup traps, to move the boy Cody when he is being kidnapped and to capture the big bird 'Marahute'. The cage on the back can hold his trophy's.

I was so impressed by this truck, even when I was a kid, so I wanted to get this vehicle inside Carmageddon 2.

Here is a shot of the current model. Poly count is 5960 triangles. The truck will feature a lot of grooves, detachable and funky suspension. I want the tank tracks to move up and down in a realistic way, and I will try to get the cage and cabin move separately to create an extra bouncy behavior.

I am especially fond of the driver model Mc. Beats. He weighs 386 triangles and the gun is 84 triangles. But will he be able to keep onto his hat? (40 triangles)

I also want to try to keep the textures to a minimum, making optimal use of the uv-unwrap features of max. More shot to come soon ;)
Last edited by Harmalarm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Oh wow, really nice :D
Doritos
driver

Post by Doritos »

I just had a nostalgia moment there i used to love that movie! this will be an epic vehicle
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hehe, same here. I'm a nostalgic rapist though, I love digging up old stuff, but therefore ruining the perfect memory as I go along :s. Ah well.

I textured Mc. Beats below. I lied about the polycount before, forgot the head and hat. :(

On another note, Toshiba has planted the idea in my head of using wireframe rendering to create a cartoon effect on the car. I just cannot ignore that suggestion :p
Last edited by Harmalarm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Damn nice progressing sir. Really dig the ambiant color given to the driver, can't wait to see how the whole turns out.

Looking at that snapshot from the movie I understand you felt inspired by this vehicle! heh
BTW when I talked about making the global concept more "loose", look at the headlights in that snapshot, they are silly looking while in your model so far they are still "stiff" for example ; that's the idea.

About the wireframe lines idea it will always be time to test when you'll be done with your initial idea.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hand painting all the textures takes a lot of time, but I do have full control over the outcome. I'm aiming for cartoon like textures without outlines. I'm not finished with it by far, but this is how far I am right now;

the shadowy looks are also because of the render method, but I am planning to bake these shadows in the textures as best as possible. They should also be just a tad darker.
Last edited by Harmalarm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Texturing looks like it's in the style of Team Fortress 2.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Part of the Crane modelled and textured. Almost ready with the texturing bit now :)

Last edited by Harmalarm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Really nice Harm, like Razor said, looks like TF2 style :) and that's a big compliment!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

hehe, I've added some more fun stuff and detail to the model. Besides having to bake the textures with correct lighting, the model is done.

I have some cool idea's for moving parts and suspension behavior. You will see what I mean in a short while ;)

in the meanwhile, here are some renders of the model again.

(those paws look better ingame)
Last edited by Harmalarm on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
AgentOrange
mechanic

Post by AgentOrange »

Look awesome.
I remember the vehicle form that Rescuers movie. and that it was pretty Scarry to see as a little kid.

BTW:Wasn't this guys name Mcleach ?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Very nice work Harm. Diggin' what I see in the first shot there. I just hope you didn't unwrap maps on top of eachother else you'll have a hard time baking shadows (or will have to generate new textures out of these maps (which wouldn't fit your textures budget care)).

The last shot is insane too! Love that beast and its tongue :p

Where's the kid supposed to go? Unlike McLeach (yes it's McLeach actually) and the reptile, I don't like the shape of the kid as it's shown in the render. As his design is simpler it's kinda more difficult to get him right. Again the body poly distrib/triangulation seems a bit awkward (can't say more from a render though) but it's actually the head that annoys me here. I'd give the hair way more volume than the face which I'd make thinner towards the jaw/chin. You'll have to increase the polycount in the face a bit if you want it to be subtle enough. Esp. for his nose and his cheekbones.
Adding the kid to the global car scene I think you'd take too much of the storyline within this car, which (imo) would take away the emphasis on the villain side of the movie, while the villains are exactly what we all want to be in Carmageddon. See what I mean? In my eyes the kid would lower the awesomeness of seeing these bad guys in Carmageddon.

Too bad your renders are that bright 'cause I think other peoples here don't really get how well done/fitting the textures really are.

BTW in the second shot you can see a triangle that was mapped a bit too close to the edge of the texture, creates a grey spot behind the head of McLeach. Anyway you prolly noticed that already.

Keep it up sir. It's a novelty addon and in the same time it fits Carmageddon very well.
AgentOrange
mechanic

Post by AgentOrange »

[quote=Toshiba]Very nice work Harm. Diggin' what I see in the first shot there. I just hope you didn't unwrap maps on top of eachother else you'll have a hard time baking shadows (or will have to generate new textures out of these maps (which wouldn't fit your textures budget care)).

The last shot is insane too! Love that beast and its tongue :p

Where's the kid supposed to go? Unlike McLeach (yes it's McLeach actually) and the reptile, I don't like the shape of the kid as it's shown in the render. As his design is simpler it's kinda more difficult to get him right. Again the body poly distrib/triangulation seems a bit awkward (can't say more from a render though) but it's actually the head that annoys me here. I'd give the hair way more volume than the face which I'd make thinner towards the jaw/chin. You'll have to increase the polycount in the face a bit if you want it to be subtle enough. Esp. for his nose and his cheekbones.
Adding the kid to the global car scene I think you'd take too much of the storyline within this car, which (imo) would take away the emphasis on the villain side of the movie, while the villains are exactly what we all want to be in Carmageddon. See what I mean? In my eyes the kid would lower the awesomeness of seeing these bad guys in Carmageddon.

Too bad your renders are that bright 'cause I think other peoples here don't really get how well done/fitting the textures really are.

BTW in the second shot you can see a triangle that was mapped a bit too close to the edge of the texture, creates a grey spot behind the head of McLeach. Anyway you prolly noticed that already.

Keep it up sir. It's a novelty addon and in the same time it fits Carmageddon very well.[/quote]
Maybe instead of that kid he could put in a wrecked car.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Thanks for the comments guys. Indeed his name is McLeach. Damn interwebs made me confused but a simple 'Disney bad guys' google search would have been enough.

about the kid. I already had my doubts whether I would go too far in working out the movie theme. The kid takes away the agression we like in Carmageddon so much, so perhaps I will just leave it out totally.

besides that you are right about the shape and the head. I'm not so fond now about it as I was yesterday. He looks misshapen and bluntly textured. The rest of the body is okay though, but the rendering makes it look bad too. Ah well.

I could however use the kid as a detachable, and let him fly around in the cage? Is it possible to create a closed bbox for the cage, and let him bounce around? Would give it some agression back :)

The shadow baking will be okay. No need to unwrap the whole model again, I will split the model by textures and re-atach it back when done.

I noticed my laptopscreen, the system I work on, is lacking a lot of contrast other screens have. When I was looking at the renders on a different system, the orange dust blowed of the screen :o

For an impression of what the textures look like before shadow baking;

[nmg]a.imageshack.us/img535/554/mcleach2.jpg[/nmg]

[nmg]a.imageshack.us/img245/9205/mcleach1.jpg[/nmg]
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

I really like it with the kid there, makes me think of an ped harvester lol. Catches them with the crane and throws them in the cage, to collect.

And the last renders are for me, way too dark :) (but still, so awesome)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Ok, I think I got these textures right this time.

The difference is hard to see at first, but you can see parts being highlighted and others being darkened by shadow. I wanted the shadow to be subtle.

The wheels are not shadowed off course, since they rotate.

After all it was quite a job to get it right. I think with smaller cars it is easier to do it by hand, however, once you find the right settings, the job gets real easy.

The following image is rather large, better to open it in an external viewport to see the difference. I wonder if it will be to dark for people again. Please tell me what you guys think of the brightness. This laptopscreen confuses me... :s

[nmg]a.imageshack.us/img708/5092/lightshadingdifference2.jpg[/nmg]

edit; I have edited the image, to show the difference on full lit max view.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Very good output imo!
The first would have been a tad too dark in C2 for what you had in mind and the ingame shading would have been a bit dull.
With the updated textures there's a nice subtle contrast in the texture which will let a better effect to the ingame lighting. Shading will be helped by those baked shadows, also they contribute to soften the lowpoly geometry to the eyes.

Can't wait to see this ingame!!
Doritos
driver

Post by Doritos »

Ive just watched RDU again and jsut to say its Mc.Leach jsut sayin lol i would have said someting sooner but i had to hunt down the movie
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

[nmg]a.imageshack.us/img217/2694/mcleach.jpg[/nmg]

FINALLY FREE TIME! Here it is, the Mc. Leach Truck!

This project has been a good excersise in using unwrapping methods and lighting baking. The texture count has been kept as low as possible. I really enjoyed creating the characters for this car. I will focus more on that in future projects.

Ininially the model featured a lot more moving parts cooperating with the movement of the suspension, but when driving on rocky roads this looked horrible. This is the reason I deleted all that in the end. The truck still has a nice couple of grooves left ;)

I decided to keep the kid in the cage, sitting and sobbing in the back.

hope you guys like it, because the setup was a very unsatisfying experience I must admit. C2 has it's limits... :pissed:

GRABBIT
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Very nice harm, very nice! Definitely looks really good in game there! Great job!
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

This is truly amazing vehicle Harm!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The model is indeed verily awesome. It's been a long time since real worked out characters appeared in C2. But we can feel how rushed the C2 release was though. Due to your lack of free time ofcourse.

That bullbar on suspension is a very nice idea but I don't see why you used a shear groove coupled to a fixed angle trick instead of a simple path groove using the same groovyfunkref for susp. And IMO the whole setup/hierarchy was thought the same way and complicated things. The way you thought detachables and grooves prevented you to have a SHELL which seemed very needed to prevent the C2 shading to kill your texturing work.

I think you got lost into details in the end and forgot to work out the basics first. A good example are the buckets there. They could be nice detachables that fly off at the first hit, but you applied a groove on them directly so they won't detach. Same with the hat, it can be detached as it is under the head in the hierarchy but first it's a small detail that prevent the use of a SHELL and secondly detachables under grooves have a hard time detaching and must/should be helped by exploding smashables. Speaking of smashables I think the cage and the windshield would have been great ones.

The texturing work is nice. Did you make these awesome planks too? Such materials are damn hard to paint right in cartoon style. Here I decided to move materials/pixelmaps to the REG folder and keep the flat and prerendered shading, couldn't stand the C2 shading stopping at each uvw map seam.

All in all this is an awesome work and I can understand how much of a good exercise it was. Sadly the C2 release itself suffers the same syndrome as other more arty models brought into games. The Master Of Disaster is good example.
You were maybe too full of ideas and sacrified some more important stuff for them.

[nmg]a.imageshack.us/img178/3466/beelzebub20100822150202.jpg[/nmg]
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Glad you guys like it!

@TTR

I wonder how Disney will react once they see blood spatters combined with their child friendly creations :p

@tosh

The whole setup of the thing was a nightmare. I must have made almost 20 iterations on the car, before it was okay. The bull bar is a shear because a simple path groove would have let it detach from the front bumper. The shear groove keeps fixed points, which looked better.

using shear on bumpers works very well for general cars btw, if you set the fixed point to an utmost side of the car, so it bumps up and down.

I think you are right about me focusing on details too much. I tested most detachables with the oh dear bodywork cheat, which makes them work, but in normal collision they do stick too much indeed.

heh, those planks were the only things I copied from the net. :) The rest however, custom painted all me harmalarm creation!

I need to work on simple things :p I must say that the modelling stage was very enjoyable. :)
cesm20
turbo bastard

Post by cesm20 »

Wow very nice vehicle, this actually fits the kind of vehicles i like in c2 so it's great to see there is still people doing vehicles like these, please keep up the good work!

Check who’s online