Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DD22C2TC

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Answering to fast questions
- Yes the dots are the invicible walls made on track :)

For better speed feeling, go to main folder-data-general, open the text file. Change the camera angle to 75 :)
Swerve
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Swerve »

I was wondering something, would it be possible to make each driver different in terms of skill? In DD2 all drivers have unique driving skills as far as I can remember. The Master was the fastest/most skilled, followed by The Skum, then The Undertaker etc.

Currently, the cars follow each other in a row at the same speed without overtaking.

However, I'm not sure if this is possible but I think it would help to distinguish the AI drivers from another :D
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

I also agree with Swerve, each car on DD2 raced at different speeds to each other, for example: The Learner raced like an idiot and The Master won a lot of races but it seems all the cars in the mod go the same speed.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

in general

Thank you guys for testing this thing! I now have a good view of the things missing/wrong/improvable in the mod. I will focus on these points in the coming days, hoping to work on all of them and get this thing to the next level. ;)

@john

thanx for the feedback, that's some good info.

I wil have a look at the liberty city track. There might be a problem with the opponents falling off of it causing a crash in the game.
About the jerking screen problem, this migth have to do with the streetlights hanging above the road, and the camera not being able to move through them... This is a real bummer because this problem is unsolvable. Even if I make the material not to be touched, it will allways remain solid for the camera. Moving the camera a bit closer to the car will help.

dots are invisible wall artifacts indeed. on the to do list ;)

black sail valley checkpoints need to be swapped, thanx for pointing that out.

the dd1 car doesn't have a driver image yet, and indeed, no mini image. I just threw the car in quickly for you guys to play with.

sometimes the cars do get stuck in the tracks geometry. There is little i can do about this I am affraid... The gravity in the mod will be slightly changed, so the cars have more distance from the ground and will get stuck less. Also note; in the arena's you will get stuck in the ground from start. I still pray this starting grid problem can be solved, but I doubt it... :(

after you posted about the alternative tracks I went looking and found the same wiki page. Thanx for the info. I am currently playing dd1 to get acces to all divisions :D However a word of warning; recreating all the tracks is not on my priority list.

@Swerve
yes the skill level can be set but this will probably only affect the toughness of the cars. I can change their individual speed as well, but this will also mean that the players speed will change when using that specific car.

A nicely balanced difference per car is something to investigate though, I think you have a point there.
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Harmalarm]@john

thanx for the feedback, that's some good info.

I wil have a look at the liberty city track. There might be a problem with the opponents falling off of it causing a crash in the game.
About the jerking screen problem, this migth have to do with the streetlights hanging above the road, and the camera not being able to move through them... This is a real bummer because this problem is unsolvable. Even if I make the material not to be touched, it will allways remain solid for the camera. Moving the camera a bit closer to the car will help.

dots are invisible wall artifacts indeed. on the to do list ;)

black sail valley checkpoints need to be swapped, thanx for pointing that out.

the dd1 car doesn't have a driver image yet, and indeed, no mini image. I just threw the car in quickly for you guys to play with.

sometimes the cars do get stuck in the tracks geometry. There is little i can do about this I am affraid... The gravity in the mod will be slightly changed, so the cars have more distance from the ground and will get stuck less. Also note; in the arena's you will get stuck in the ground from start. I still pray this starting grid problem can be solved, but I doubt it... :(

after you posted about the alternative tracks I went looking and found the same wiki page. Thanx for the info. I am currently playing dd1 to get acces to all divisions :D However a word of warning; recreating all the tracks is not on my priority list.
[/quote]

Thanks for replying to the points I raised. Regarding the 02 DD1 cars, I was watching some DD1 videos on YouTube and found out that the multiplayer mode with one console only allows you to play as the 01 cars, so it does look as if the 02 cars are accessed via playing with the Link Cable. Wish I had a Link Cable, another PlayStation and another copy of DD1 to prove this though :(

Just went editing some files and found that the SCA Motorplex Group 6 race has the wrong track .txt attached to it (goes to the SCA Ultimate Destruction Speedway instead). I also changed the genders of the female drivers' (17, 35, 64, 69 and 82) .txt files so the display at the bottom makes sense.

Also, a suggestion for the Black Sail Valley description: Extended oval with crossovers

Bit of a shame about the DD1 tracks, but let's get the main thing finished first before worrying about them!
Frito
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Frito »

Hi!

I would like to congratulate and also thank you for such a great mod. It's nice to reminisce about the good old days :-) For a long time dreamed to convert DD to another game, for example, World Racing 2:

[img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2293/dd2010.jpg[/img]

Harmalarm will you make this mod of another game?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Ok, did a lot of things this afternoon.

One of the best ones Is the invisible wall artifacts are gone now! no more ugly dots.

another cool thins is increased wall friction. This will give the car a bigger slowdown when hugging the wall in corners, preventing easy cornering AND it will make the cars roll easier. Specially cool on the big slope of the Chalk Canyon track! ;)

what I did;

v change checkpoints black sail valley
V group 6 motorplex must NOT be sca speedway
V change gender of drivers 17, 35, 64, 69 and 82 66?
v drivers name 53 should be barmy army.
X remove checkpoints display (not possible)
v change gravity to 1.25
v change agression to 10 max
v brake lights of the bouncer car 88

v fix invisible wall thing
v fix car remaining/car defeated
V look at car steering sharpness (softer return movement?)
V remove 'wrong way' message
V take another quick peek at the gravity, set back a little?
V change wall grip for car rolling

What yet to do

- remove the ingame messages. Invisible font?
or
- change the text strings for the messages
- env box sounds for the pitstops
- repair powerup for the pitstops?
- rename de data folders - did a lot
- change damage indicators!
- create fitting dd1 car models

optinal
- create dd1 tracks
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

Nice changes Harm; I forgot to include 66 in the list of female drivers and just remembered!

Sorry if this annoys you, but I forgot to mention that Car 35 should be The Goddess (with 2 Ds).

Also, when looking at the RACES.txt in more detail, it looks like the first instance of the Motorplex (Group 1) has different laps to the ones that are wrong (Group 2 and Group 6). I've changed the Group 2 one to an Ultimate Destruction Speedway Stock Car Race, and fixed the laps on the Group 6 one to be the same as the Group 1 Motorplex race. Plus I replaced the incorrect description of Black Sail Valley with the one I previously posted (EXTENDED OVAL WITH CROSSOVERS).

As well as this, before I'd even got the game up and running, I went and changed the OPPONENTS.txt, replacing the descriptions with more humourous ones. If you want this Harm, then I'll be happy to send it to you.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I love reading these, great working guys. PS: Rememver that camera angle to be set to 75 ;)

Is the mod on the site updated with today's changes?

Also made a picture of a little pileup in CC, finally did it :p
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5455/utennavnk.jpg
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

Two images from tonight's session:

Liberty City's crashing again (but switching to cockpit mode fixes the first turn bug) and this happened at one point: http://i45.tinypic.com/29kon53.png. What would be the cause of that?

Also did this on Pine Hills Raceway: the question is, am I Amateur, or am I Psycho? http://i50.tinypic.com/2r6zjug.png
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

@dudleif

no I didn't upload anything new yet, I'll keep it on hold untill I have fixed the rest of things

@john606

my guess is that you are Psycho

and there is a little problem there on the liberty city starting grid. The player obviously get spawed above the road, hehe... I will fix it. Thanx for pointing that one out.

Does the crashing involve a certain error message?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I decided to go for a more detailed version, same as the dd2 car. This way we can interchange the cars, and mix them in one mod. Together with the dd2 cars this will result in a total of 44 cars i believe. Would be cool right to see them mixed?

the body has detachables and a little bit better inner bodywork. Also cool to note that the driver body uses actual car body textures. One wheelbarrow is the texture for the helmet :D lol. The car uses a single 256x256 texture, and one seperate alpha channeled steering wheel texture ;)

[nmg]img35.imageshack.us/img35/8141/dd1highpoly.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Nice!

Now, how many start posititions does the game support? ;)
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Harmalarm]my guess is that you are Psycho

and there is a little problem there on the liberty city starting grid. The player obviously get spawed above the road, hehe... I will fix it. Thanx for pointing that one out.

Does the crashing involve a certain error message?[/quote]
You chose wrong. :lol:

+ the crash doesn't have a certain error message; the screen goes black and just has a standard Windows "carma2_hw.exe has experienced an error and must be closed" message.

P.S. Good job on the high-poly DD1 cars (although the embedded picture's messed up)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I think the new DD1 cars are a great addition to the mod. I want to add all of them to the mod today, making sure they will be in the next mod package!

The max count of cars in one race is 28, if I am not mistaken.

I will work on the to do list again too. Not much news actually. Just this;

[nmg]img205.imageshack.us/img205/4729/dd1carforsure.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Nice!

So, I know it's not DD2 style, but will you add 28 car sized grids?
I think it would suit it, to create a more chaotic experiene :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

the game loads at max 29 opponents. This might sound real cool, but over at my system the game start to lag. There are a lot of sound stutters and for some reason the timer gets fucked up. :s real weird. It is fun though, because the game doesn't want to crash. :)

[nmg]img580.imageshack.us/img580/7237/30cars.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Your system sucks or just the game programming? :p
What's the max it works "flowing" with?
Jon606
hit n run

DD22C2TC

Post by Jon606 »

[quote=Harmalarm][nmg]img580.imageshack.us/img580/7237/30cars.jpg[/nmg][/quote]
Whoaly shit! That's crazy!

Regarding the Liberty City crash, Black Sail Valley seems to do it as well, although with Black Sail, there's no error message but the game freezes and you either have to press the Windows button followed by Ctrl Alt Delete to close it via Task Manager, or reboot the system. With Liberty City, the message appears. No idea what's causing it.

More suggestions (hehehe):
1. Maybe change the helmets & bodies for each driver so they're unique + match the game (obviously you can't make the exact helmets, but I think different designs for each driver would be good :))
2. You could re-order the races so that for the first races, it's 7 rounds of Wrecking Racing, then 7 rounds of Stock Car Racing, then just a mix of Wrecking Racing & Stock Car Racing (I notice that Pine Hills has no Wrecking Racing event)
3. Will you be doing the "exclusive drivers" conversion thing I mentioned here (obviously, as with the DD1 tracks, it's not really a priority, but it would be good)?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

I don't think the engine can handle that many cars in the starting grid, hence why it lags.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[nmg]img28.imageshack.us/img28/6835/dd1cardamage.jpg[/nmg]

All dd1 cars are now setup properly, with driver images and mini car images.

As you can see I have also improved the damage indicators. They now react better and faster to damage and have a better damage indication per part (front two for engine, ones below for wheels etc.) while before this was confusing.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Great! Will this be in the new install with the fixes or is it allready out?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

not out yet. I have to make up my mind what I still want to add and where this thing will stop. It's hard to wrap things up as I still come up with new items to add.

I am tinkering with the idea to add a few more dd1 tracks. The bowl is an easy one, and the speedway is almost finished. There are in total 5 racetracks, which are relatively easy to make. The speedway took me 7 hours total to model/rip/setup, and the other tracks are not much more complicated.

At some point this thing must finish though, so I will focus on the to do list, add the speedway and the bowl and probably release that as a new package for you guys to download and play with. I need more time to make up my mind about the rest of dd1 stuff.

The best approach for me right now would be to release a basic package with dd2 tracks, gameplay and cars, as a finished product. Then I can work separately on the track models as an addon pack.
Frito
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Frito »

Good job! However, you should insert the glass for all cars. Because they were in the original game. Cars in the DD series are built on the basis of the NASCAR cars (and they have windows).
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Been toying around with the physics, and tried following in the car data:

// Sub member: Mechanics data
2.0 // Minimum turning circle
4.000000 // Brake multiplier
4.000000 // Braking strength multiplier
5 // Number of gears
250.000000 // Top gear red line speed
4.4.000000 // Top gear acceleration

Basically a double of the braking power, aswell as less turning on the wheels. At first this sound bad, but the main problem is much understeer now (front goes out, no turning grip in corners). With this tweak to turning circle the car has little turning capabilities, but it does not understeer. When the car is in speed it actually feels very good. I advice you to test it out and see how you feel. (hint, for fast turning when standing still, use wheelspin :p )
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

A whole other thing, me and Ukkle trying to join games now, but it just won't work. We both have the same hamachi version, and the same game version, but it just won't work.

Crashes for both users the second we push "join" :s
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

:o this is very surprising... however, you are able to see each others games appear in the main multi-player window?
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Progress:

When I host games everything is fine, when he host it crashes. I blame a router or something :D

Uff, the lag is really horrible, even when everyone had like 20mbit+ lines =(
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

[quote=Harmalarm][nmg]img28.imageshack.us/img28/6835/dd1cardamage.jpg[/nmg][/quote]
Nobody could say this is based on C2 — what I see is a near complete solid-looking game.

This mod is progressing so well! Much kudos to everybody supporting and helping Harm.
BTW shouldn't this mod get its own ModDB page?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]Progress:Uff, the lag is really horrible, even when everyone had like 20mbit+ lines [/quote]

told ya!

the problem is the rigid communication of the game between players. This thing is optimized for LAN play only. It seems the gameplay is depending on the speed of not only the server but the clients too, as data seems to go back and forth between machines...

LAN play is fine right? I've been testing between two wireless laptops here at home and the thing was running smooth as hell.

there are some words about the LAN coding over here

@tosh

it would be nice indeed to create a personal ModDB page. These things usually attract a lot of people. The spam I got regarding the Grandcarma mod was amazing :D

It will be nice thing when the mod goes more public.
Frito
pedestrian

DD22C2TC

Post by Frito »

Any news? I'm wondering about the progress.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Harm, any chance on making it so all of the '01' cars do not appear on the grid as opponents, just like the Eagle wouldn't in C2?
Would be much better this way.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I actually disagree on that :)

But you could allways give them a random number or something, so they are not all 01? :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

I haven't been working on the mod for a week, as I have been busy with some personal stuff. (finding a job, working on my portfolio etc.)

I don't think the 01 cars showing up on the grid is a problem, actually, I like it better. The more diversity in cars, the better!

I have noticed when playing the mod that indeed some crashes occured from the moment I had put the new dd1 cars in the mod. My guess is that this has to do with the splitting/bending of the cars, so I will look into that today.

I will work on the dd1 speedway and the dd1 bowl this week, hoping to finish both quickly.

that's about all the news I have. stay tuned ;)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

There we go, dd1 bowl as good as finished. Now on to finishing that dd1 speedway ;)

[nmg]img444.imageshack.us/img444/4781/dd1bowl.jpg[/nmg]

Check who’s online