Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 XNA / OpenC1

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey Jeff, nice work on the implementation of the other cars. It seems I cannot post any comments on your blog for some reason, any idea why?

Tags:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

hey,

you should be able to post comments - you just need to choose a supported account from the 'Comment as' list.

I've got audio going for car engines and collisions. And I've added sparks and vehicle bits particles when hitting walls etc. The camera also swings around to face backwards when you reverse :)
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Just uploaded a new video showing updated physics, breakable objects, audio, race countdown animations etc :)

http://blog.1amstudios.com/
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Very nice work there, Jeff, this is shaping up to be a very good remake.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Great work indeed! It is really starting to look like C1, physics and game-play wise. Cool to see the different vehicles in action too. Real good work, keep it up :tup:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Some new screenshots of material modifiers and cockpit views on http://blog.1amstudios.com
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Good work on the material modifiers and the cockpit views. I was just thinking, what exactly is so cryptic about the car files? The files found in the DATA\64X48X8\CARS folder describe the placement of the cockpit images, based on a resolution of 640 x 480 If I am not mistaken.
The cockpit, tacho and speedo, driver hands and damage indicators are all in there.
the dimmed area's at the bottom simply describe grey transparant squares with the topleft-bottomright corner, to be put on screen when using each car.
headup.txt foundin the DATA\64X48X8 also describes placement of HUD elements, but I figure you know these.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes, seems to me like you did the hard part already! Placing the rest of the HUD will be easy. When you'll be integrating peds, don't forget to proceed so that the cockpit "move" when you hit a ped. Good you guessed the tire dust type, it isn't described in C1 track files ("room for extension" instead).

Oh btw, how does your build handle the different texture detail levels? I think there are three: ddraw lomem, himem and 3dfx hires. I guess it only loads the 3dfx ones?
Also, any idea how you'll render those fake env map materials (used in windows)? Or texture-less materials (my Borgnine is all made out of that). For the latter, this entry on my blog talks about it: Linky.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
jeff_1amstudios
driver

hey,

what I mean is lines like this:
a,4,152,TACHO.PIX,31,179,0,21,215,0,-4

a=analog, then x,y, then texture, then i guess some kind of scaling of the rotation and dimensions etc. Its definitely figure-outable, but I'd rather spend the time on checkpoints, specvols etc :)

Tosh, yeah the tire dust had me for a bit, i was trying to find other items that would affect it (like actors and materials) before looking again at the material modifiers + smoke shadetables.

Speaking of shadetables, what are they, and are they used for anything? Theres obviously the Shadetab folder with .tab files in them, but I haven't done any work with them.

The different texture levels are handled by choosing the right model to load (never the lomem models, and for cars that support it (the eagle), the hires model). Actually, now I think about it, the copy of carma I'm using I don't think has the 3dfx patch. I'll be installing that tonight and see what changes it makes. Does it come with new textures? That could be fun :)

I missed that SimpMat post last time I looked through your blog. I had figured out the palette index, but not the # of colors defining the gradient. Also, the mat files in Carma dont have the 0x3c/0x4 identifier at the start.
Im not sure that gradient # is correct... looking at silver.mat (gradient 3), in game its used for the eagle bonnet model but I cant see any gradient. Is it only used in 3dfx mode? Also, some of the gradient #'s are large (like 20 or 30). That would be a weird gradient.

How about the env map materials you're talking about? What are they? By the way, your night track looks freaking awesome, and cant wait to try it. Going to try getting some screenshots of custom cars in the next few days.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Shadetables... scratched my heads often wondering what these were supposed to be. I guess they are related to the global shading processing, not sure if this makes any sense at all... like it'd "control" the beheaviour (contrast vs. fog, specular vs. angles, etc) of the shadows on the buildings, and same with the cars. There's a good lot of these files but most seem to use DRRENDER.TAB, other shadetabs are ACIDFOG, BLEND%%, BLUEGIT, TRACKGIT, DEPTHCUE, IDENTITY, FOG.
The game also generates unnamed ones apparently. C2 beheaves the same. I already tried swapping the most obvious ones with one another but noticed no difference. Should have a serious go at it again.
Most of these TAB files look like gradient of values, which sounds logical IMO. The BLEND ones though are different, their entry at offset 13h is 3Dh while the "normal" TABs have 03h. They probably were used to create that translucid texture effect featured in the Splat Pack?!

I'm not sure the 3dfx patch brings the hires textures. They rather were already there, ready for action. The Splat Pack might have brought some though.

About the untextured materials/gradients: I didn't mean the .mat files themself started with 3Ch or 04h but I use these values as a reference to point the material slots into the .mat file. Each .mat file starts with:

Code: Select all

00 00 00 12 00 00 00 08 00 00 00 05 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
and then the first material slot starts, their type (first byte) being most of the time 3Ch. I guess it means textured material?! If you want original examples of the 04h material type, just look at REG/MATERIALS/SIMPMAT.MAT. These are all made out of 3 (following) colors to make a little gradient (used for the shrapnels or the simple models).
But you are right, I probably made a mistake with the amount of following color IDs. I presented it so that if it's set as 7d then there would be the defined color (in my blog 68h (color ID 104)) PLUS the 7 following IDs. Actually I think that the defined color is included in the 7d value.
For SILVER.MAT, the gradient isn't 3d but 5d and starting with color ID 250 (FAh). It's indeed not used ingame (or doesn't seem so) but we could use it, just like the materials from SIMPMAT.MAT. I guess Stainless thought about using these to spare some texture use/reduce processed texels but finaly gave up on this. I don't remember any use of these kind of materials but the SimpMats for the shrapnels (and I figured the gradient thing etc through them!).
And yes some materials have a huge gradient value, makes the game look like it's on acid when textures don't load correctly.

There's a very common [fake] env map material on every car and it's the window texture. It's moving like a reflection in comparison to the camera and/or source of light. It doesn't work as well as in C2, even if the car has proper smoothing groups. [Oh btw, the gradient material beheaves accordingly to what the smoothing groups say! Smoothing groups support is thus important!]
Env mapped materials aren't used very often either. The texture used for the fake env map in the car windows is set in each track text file. There's a global one I think and then you can change it when the car enters a SFX volume. That's why the windows "reflects" the sky when you are outside of the castle, but reflects the corridor ceiling when you are inside the castle (I mean in Armourgeddon for example). To allow this texture to be changed in tracks, the reflective material must be specified inside the car text file, the material doesn't need to be textured but must have an uvw map (I mean it shouldn't lack an uvw map, the uvw map itself has no importance has the env map effect totaly ignores it (but seam lines!)).

So if you want to see how the gradient thing beheave in the original C1, just test my Borgnine (I used that type of material on other cars, but only for details). I don't remember using the env map for something else than windows. As for the Night Track, I guess I could zip up what I have so far and send it to you for testing. Would require some time though as really don't remember where I left this project and what the dependenties are. I remember I had a fuckton of noncars to plot (was about to use the noncar tools for that) and setup peds. Had a nasty and unknown crashing issue too.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Cool, thanks for the details, I'll check them out. I've uploaded a new video showing first cut of the opponents system. My girlfriend was away for the weekend so I spent about 30 hours on it saturday and sunday, made the video sunday night then went to sleep :)

http://blog.1amstudios.com
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Great work Jeff, especially the intelligent behavior of the ai when calculating the time it will take to brake etc. I'm also not sure if the game actually uses these speed settings for paths. What I noticed from c2, is that the opponents always slow down around a node when it makes a corner, so when a lot of nodes are close to each other, the players slow down.

I also like how the bigger cars bounce and jump, seems real good imo.

btw, I am the Sinterklaas person on your blog, forgot I was logged in another account :D
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I guess Jeff won't update this sticky anymore so I'll do.
For those who haven't noticed Jeff kept on updating his project on his blog. Posted a video lately.

IMO globaly it looks great but the physics seem way off sadly, I mean in comparison to the original C1. I understand how hard it must be to get the feeling right, but I was under the impression it was better before?!
Also too much shrapnels, too big, too present. But that's obvious.

Can't wait to see the ped integration.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Don't like the physics? Then you'll be able to change them when the project is done. It's going to be opensource so nobody will stop you.

I'm at least glad that something is moving in this community, something big.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The point is not liking the physics or not, it's the fact that currently they are wrong. C1 physics aren't realistic but what I see is yet less realistic. It's very obvious.
Check the comments on the last video on YouTube, C2S pointed some examples.

Cut it already with your "you'll be able to change them" bullshit. Nobody will waste his time installing the XNA dev env, trying to understand how things work then try to get stuff done better than the author himself, just for physics. People are waiting for an openC1 that's like the real thing (as it's what Jeff is willing to sell) and works directly on modern systems. If things aren't correct, people won't finish the work themselve. What a stupid thought.
If you don't like or miss something in the final build, will you fix it yourself? haha...

About the community bit, this project isn't part of the community, it's a developer doing his thing. If there was no Carmageddon community anymore, Jeff would do it anyway.
The community is still moving, much slower than five or ten years ago but it's still moving. Who are you to judge? You do nothing at all.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Trust me your assumption that noone is going to dev the final source code is dead wrong, it's ridiculous even. I mean why the hell would you do an opensource project if that was the case.

I've said plenty of times regardign these types of subjects elsewhere.
look at www.openttd.org, that game in it's original release was barely breathing reject that was nowhere near playable, and the dev pretty much said that he's not touching it anymore. But others came, and quite fast actually and not only did they finish it to original games spec, they made it into something way way more awesome. And this game is even OLDER than c2.

If after jeff is finished with his part no one else continues it then this project will get nowhere.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

[quote=Toshiba]The point is not liking the physics or not, it's the fact that currently they are wrong. C1 physics aren't realistic but what I see is yet less realistic[/quote]
i must to agree with Toshiba - the current physics looks like a brick with wheels for me. oh it's good but maybe it's just a bit complex for this kind of game. the c1 physics was simple but good enough and looks good too
jeff_1amstudios
driver

@tosh - we were talking about your Borgnine a while ago and how it was using a textureless Yellow simpmat. I finally downloaded it (and a bunch of other custom cars!) yesterday and I cant see any reference to a Mxx.DAT simpmat in the model or actor. When you fixed it for Glide mode, did you replace the simpmat with textures? If not - how is it hooked up?
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Also I've had (yet another) pass at the physics. In the last video there was too much sliding - as though the cars were on ice compared to the original. I've toned it down quite a bit from there
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Yeah Tosh recently updated it.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well I wasn't using existing SimpMats (in the likes of M01.MAT, M24.MAT, etc.) but they worked the same and they were included in the car's MAT file. Their gradient was greater.
So yes I indeed replaced these gradient materials with env mapped materials (exactly the same output as I created textures depicting the very same gradient) so that glide users can see the effect too.
I still have the gradient versions of these cars though.
Here's the Borgnine with the body, chrome and mirrors materials as textureless gradients.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jeff's currently implementing the peds!
Go check that out!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I love the car select screen.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

For those who didn't notice yet (like me), demo soon.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Yep - im working on it tonight and tomorrow night for beta release on saturday (NZ time).

Right now theres a bit of work supporting the demo - many data files are slightly different, and the water obviously wasnt implemented fully in the demo, because in the demo map, the water around the obelisk doesn't have a solid bottom so in OpenCarma you fall right through underneath the map!
Skw
pedestrian

Post by Skw »

Hello! OpenCarmageddon crash.

My system specs:
- HP NX6110 laptop
- Intel Celeron M 1,5GHz
- 512MB DDR
- Intel 915GM graphics 128MB
- XP SP3 Pro

XNA 3.0, XNA 3.1, C++ Runtime 2008 (x86), latest DirectX 9.0c (optional components too) and latest PhysX installed.

Crash happens when I press "START RACE"-button and loading screen appears.

crash.txt:

Code: Select all

System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
   at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   at System.Number.ParseSingle(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
   at System.Single.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   at Carmageddon.Parsers.BaseTextFile.ReadLineAsVector3(Boolean scale) in C:\Code\XNA\Carmageddon\Carmageddon\Parsers\BaseTextFile.cs:line 139
   at Carmageddon.Parsers.RaceFile..ctor(String filename) in C:\Code\XNA\Carmageddon\Carmageddon\Parsers\RaceFile.cs:line 65
   at Carmageddon.Race..ctor(String filename, String playerVehicleFile) in C:\Code\XNA\Carmageddon\Carmageddon\Race.cs:line 37
   at Carmageddon.PlayGameScreen..ctor(IGameScreen parent) in C:\Code\XNA\Carmageddon\Carmageddon\Screens\PlayGameScreen.cs:line 35
   at Carmageddon.Screens.LoadRaceScreen.LoadRaceThreadProc() in C:\Code\XNA\Carmageddon\Carmageddon\Screens\LoadRaceScreen.cs:line 46
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Intended to those subscribed to this topic:
OpenC1 v1.3 released today!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

good glad the problems with lawyers are shaked out lol. pretty good christmas gift for me
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Check who’s online