Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

DD22C2TC

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

DD22C2TC (Destruction derby 2 to Carmageddon 2 total conversion))

As some of you might know, I am working on yet another conversion... (just cant stop myself... ;) ) The aim of the conversion is to create a complete new package, a total carmageddon 2 overhaul, replacing all car, track, sound, and menu content to destruction derby 2 stuff.

So far, the mod has made some nice progress. I've finished all 4 bowls, all cars and all menu images.
Previous progress can be viewed over at CWA. There are some nice images on the menu's and the tracks;

http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... o=&fpart=1

I currently started working on the racetracks, the biggest task of all since they are all SCRATCH MADE... (crazy!) The first one up is the Chalk canyon. I've discovered (yet again) some cool functions in Max that make it easy to 'bend' meshes into curves. The image shows a flat version of the track, at it's current state. Using the soft selection tool in Max, I will be able to add height to the track, making it super funky! :p

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Quick reminder for you that the track selection screen is still ready to be implemented. Just have to decide which screen to hack.
Don't forget it's possible to move other assets from a screen to another, it might be possible to merge some netgame related screens this way.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Things are coming along with a better speed then I thought. I finished the Chalk Canyon yesterday, improving the height, adding opponent paths and well, played it a lot allready :p

aaaaaaaaaan, I did the pine hills raceway too! ;p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhrBkNBv_qo

Tosh is helping out creating an awesome track selection screen. So far the screen is working wonderfully, we just need to tweak it so that perhaps we can add track images to the thing.

Next up is Liberty City...
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Looks great so far, Harm. Remember to send me this just before you're ready to release it.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Heh, you don't have to keep reminding me. ;) Btw, I still need to do 5 other tracks so... :lol: But yes, for some reason this mod turns out better then expected. I like to take the time and work out the tracks, very enjoyable! For both me and you guys I guess.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote=Harmalarm]Heh, you don't have to keep reminding me. ;) Btw, I still need to do 5 other tracks so... :lol: But yes, for some reason this mod turns out better then expected. I like to take the time and work out the tracks, very enjoyable! For both me and you guys I guess.[/quote]

Heh, sorry. :surprised:

Yeah, I don't know about you but I find that making the tracks is much more fun than actually playing on them ingame.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

This looks great man, lookng forward to try this out when released.

I have some notes on your track, not meant as critism just a personal feedback :)

* The track is a little too wide
Specially the squeece part. It barely (if I remember correct) fit'ed one car in the original game. However, it seems to fit two cars here.

* I see there is 18 cars in the race. Are there some limitation to why it's not 20/22 (With all the added 01 cars)? Plans to try finding a sollution for that?

* Are there any fix for LAN / Hamachi use? This mod would be a total blast playing against other people.

Other than that, keep up the good work, there are a bounch of people waiting for this mod now, as the word spreads around :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote]
* The track is a little too wide
Specially the squeece part. It barely (if I remember correct) fit'ed one car in the original game. However, it seems to fit two cars here.[/quote]

I noticed this, I used to love parking my car side ways across that part and letting everyone else just plow into me and then finishing the race alone, in first.

[quote]
* I see there is 18 cars in the race. Are there some limitation to why it's not 20/22 (With all the added 01 cars)? Plans to try finding a sollution for that?[/quote]

As far as I'm aware the limitation is 19, I've tried 20 in my DDRAW mod and it just crashes the game, even 19 cars causes problems for me, one of the cars on the grid will duplicate and become the 19th opponent.

[quote]
* Are there any fix for LAN / Hamachi use? This mod would be a total blast playing against other people.
[/quote]

Tosh's BBQ could always be modified with new cars and tracks I suppose, but you'd still have the same problems as with C2, it'll still be out of sync.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The amount of car limitation in C2 is 30, including the player's car, so RACES.TXT must use at max 29 opponents per races. Must be sure that there is no conflict between any car and that none of them makes the game crash, else you can quickly get confused as to why the game might be unstable. Weird that you guys are encountering problems, esp. as the cars your mods are featuring aren't complex at all.

@Harmalarm: Just thought about the C2 mission Blood Brothers there... there are 12 specific opponents starting with the multiplayer start points AND the player starts always at the very same place (in comparison to your starting grid problem), so there's probably a fix to dig up here, maybe within the RACES.TXT chunk?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]
The track is a little too wide
Specially the squeece part. It barely (if I remember correct) fit'ed one car in the original game. However, it seems to fit two cars here.
[/quote]

hmm, I will see what i can do, actually thought it was fine this way. The car needs to be able to park in lenght there and not much more, that will be a good reference.

[quote]
Are there any fix for LAN / Hamachi use? This mod would be a total blast playing against other people.
[/quote]

yes offcourse! I am keeping LAN gameplay. This will be a fucking nice addition to the mod. Just hope netplay will be beter in the future, but that is just wishfull thinking right now.

[quote]
The amount of car limitation in C2 is 30
[/quote]

hm, I will have to run through all my cars and see if there are any conflicts. I wás pretty sure there were none, but who knows.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

[quote=Harmalarm][quote]
The track is a little too wide
[/quote]

hmm, I will see what i can do, actually thought it was fine this way. The car needs to be able to park in lenght there and not much more, that will be a good reference.

[quote]
Are there any fix for LAN / Hamachi use? This mod would be a total blast playing against other people.
[/quote]

yes offcourse! I am keeping LAN gameplay. This will be a fucking nice addition to the mod. Just hope netplay will be beter in the future, but that is just wishfull thinking right now.

[quote]
The amount of car limitation in C2 is 30
[/quote]

hm, I will have to run through all my cars and see if there are any conflicts. I wás pretty sure there were none, but who knows.[/quote]

Holy shit, LAN will work! :D Will Hamachi work too? Your a fucking god man!

Oh, and please see if you and TOS can find a way to have all the cars in the race at same point :D (22 that is? )
AgentOrange
mechanic

DD22C2TC

Post by AgentOrange »

Looks Great, i wish i could convert from the PSX to Carma, There are some wonderfull or funny games that can be used .
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Started work on the Liberty city track, but it sure is a nasty one!! It has a lot of textures, and the buildings seem easy to create but are not... at least not because i want to place the textures just like they are ingame... tricky. I got the track layout and the textures, now for those buildings... :swheel:

[nmg]img709.imageshack.us/img709/2294/libertycity1.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Great work :)

Following this topic so I'm allways updated.

The news about this mod is spread on 3 forums btw, and it's all just great replies to be found. A lot of people looking forward to this!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

the news started on CWA, but I will focus development on devWAM now, so all info will be here. Additional video's are off course on my youtube channel.

pretty cool the mod has such a big fanclub already :p
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I did my work writing about it on LFSforum aswell on TBK Light forum (a)

Well, I just remember DD2 and carma2 as my favorite racing games of all time, couldn't resist spamming a little about it.

There is big interest for it, and pleeease keep us updated with videos every now and then, it's awesome :D
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

DD22C2TC

Post by DEMENTOR »

Great work mate. Good to see how fast it's coming along, and how well.

I can't wait to play DD2 with the C2 physics etc. Gonna be so good!
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote=DEMENTOR]Great work mate. Good to see how fast it's coming along, and how well.

I can't wait to play DD2 with the C2 physics etc. Gonna be so good![/quote]

I know, right.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

*wants more videos*
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey guys, thanx. I like to work on this very much, spend about 2 hours min. per day on it lately. Sometimes I make a big step, like the pine hills raceway in two days, but the speed will be a little lower from now. The liberty city track is a tricky one, with all the different colored textures, animated textures and lots of 2d sprites. Still progressing nicely though. Did a nice portion of buildings yesterday.

[nmg]img10.imageshack.us/img10/6358/libertycitybuildingpart.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Holy banana, that looks awesome!

Take your time needed, and if you need any kind of tester or anything, let us know and we can help you out :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

Looking good, Harm.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

DD22C2TC

Post by DEMENTOR »

If I'm not mistaken Liberty City was the most detailed map of the game wasn't it? I guess it's good to do that one early so you can get it out of the way and also get you used to doing all the textures etc. Therefore quicker progress on the other tracks :-)

Black Sail Valley was a particular favourite of mine. Keep it up mate, it's looking sweet.
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

@ Dementor; yes, liberty city is one of the most detailed tracks, along with the ultimate speedway track. And indeed i look at it that way, getting the tricky ones out of the way first.

I did a nice portion of the city again today, all buildings are now done. Still to do is the highway part, the big bend in the back with the dirt, commercial signes and 2d sprites. But this will be done quicker probably. :)

[nmg]img535.imageshack.us/img535/7182/libertycity2.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Brilliant! I suggest you to make one video of each track, so when this baby is done you'll just record a standard video and upload it on youtube :D

Oh, did I say it looks great? (yes I did but saying it again) , awesome!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

DD22C2TC

Post by Razor »

[quote=Dudleif]Brilliant! I suggest you to make one video of each track, so when this baby is done you'll just record a standard video and upload it on youtube :D[/quote]

That's a waste of time and gives you nothing to look forward to..
Sure we've all played DD2 but we've never played this mod, I for one don't want to see a video of every track (or footage of every track) as it will ruin the experience.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote=Razor]That's a waste of time and gives you nothing to look forward to..
Sure we've all played DD2 but we've never played this mod, I for one don't want to see a video of every track (or footage of every track) as it will ruin the experience.[/quote]

hm, I thought the same thing at first, video's being a spoiler to the mod, but then I thought what the hell. Seeing the mod and playing it are two very different things. I will not be uploading vids of every track but I probably will upload some vids randomly when I feel like. :)

I finished the highway and the neon-signs yesterday night. At work now, so no screenshot this time.
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Ok then, I'll somewhat agree :)

Just keep us informed every now and then, got 4 buddies that all are waiting eagerly to beat the crap out of eachothers on LAN with this :D
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

DD22C2TC

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yeah LAN should work just fine with Stifado's UDP (guess Harm will include it).
It's the online gaming that brings problems. Need a host with a fast connection or it goes out of sync after a while.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

Right, I got the track ingame and sorted out most of the scaling althought now looking at the screens I think the track is a tad too big... that dirt part still looks a bit too narrow too right? As you can see the track is still way too bright, this is due to the standard lighting of carma 2. The textures are also filtered which makes them ugly as hell. As I might have mentioned before, I try to get all textures unfiltered, giving them back that pixellydelicious look of dd2. :)

The next step is to get the smoothing groups right and set the lighting straight. The final step will be the 2d sprites like roadside crowd, lantarn posts and fake light glows.

[nmg]img27.imageshack.us/img27/9011/libertycityk.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Looks great!

As you say, it's too bright and a little too wide. Other than that it's great.

I am not sure if the dirt track is too small or too big actually, seems pretty ok to me :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

another day, another update

placed 50 % of the sprites now, added all the animated textures and did all the smoothing groups. The lighting proved more difficult and will be done at the end. I think I can wrap up this track in the weekend. After that I will focus on slimming down the c2 install again removing unnessecary stuff. Still thinking what track to do next...

The 2d sprites are real cute. Look at them, waving at us. Too bad we cant kill em this time!! :swheel:

[nmg]img710.imageshack.us/img710/6291/2dspriteplacement.jpg[/nmg]
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

Haha, now that would be something, having people you could kill... alltho that wouldn't be DD2 :p

Looking strong as ever, thumbs up .)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

DD22C2TC

Post by Harmalarm »

'and another one goes and another one goes, another one bites the dust'ah!'

Liberty city is done! The 250 sprites I had to place were a real pain in the ass, but it payed off. Lighting is good now, as the scale, and the animated textures. C2 has it's limits, which means that sometimes the animated textures pauze. There is nothing I can do about that unfortunately. Stupid...

The track showed me again, that the physics are still not good enough, so I will focus on 2 things now; physics, and removing unused crap from the c2 install. After that them menu will get another look (track selection screen, buttons, images) and then I will continue on the track, starting with the SCA ultimate speedway. :p

I slapped together some random video again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgTAjN2vvmI
Dudleif
driver

DD22C2TC

Post by Dudleif »

I can immagine it was a pain in the ass :D

It looks great, love it!

About the physics - you know this better than me so sorry if I sound like a retard.. just don't make it too "grippy".. I loved DD2 but it had way too much grip, so as long as it's actually possible to lose controll of the car on a slide it's ok enough for me :p

Check who’s online