Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by TTR »

For a Max model you probably could use CoffeyCup's skater Max model? Hehe..

Tags:
n3wton
Wasted!

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by n3wton »

a Dream come true! :)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Lol.

little progress update;

Airport is 95% done. Only needs some carspawnpoints and a simple pathway.
Junkyard is about 50% now.
And with % i mean the original model. I then need to build my own mountains, and map-borders, since the carmageddon 2 maps are like 'boxes', and not like islands. In c2 you're not supposed to leave the map, is GTA you are. :nice:

some screens;

Airport
[img]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4713 ... ye7.th.jpg[/img] [img]http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/1583 ... fl1.th.jpg[/img] [img]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9053 ... kj8.th.jpg[/img]

Junkyard
[img]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7376 ... ql8.th.jpg[/img] [img]http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4241 ... qp1.th.jpg[/img] [img]http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/1179 ... gj3.th.jpg[/img]

I'll be going on hollidays for the next two weaks, and after that i've got two weeks to prepare my exams, so i will probably not be updating the next 2 or 3 weeks. But i still have a lot of motivation to do this... ( it really is addicting :nyaha:)
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by coffeycup »

Can I ask a stupid question? I do not own San Andreas but I do have Vice City for PC.
Could I install the converted maps to that? I've never done much editing to GTA other than reskinning some peds.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

alas coffeycup, it is not possible. The files differ from those of Vice City, so i'm affraid you have to get a copy of SA...
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by TTR »

LOL how about to implant all these maps into the SA map itself? deleting stuff there and/or altering it so that it fits :ooo:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Well, that would never fit, since all the carmageddon maps together are allmost as big as the San andreas map. I wouldn't have any space to put it. :uho:
creative madman
pedestrian

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by creative madman »

looking very good, came over here from GTAF just to check it out.

congrats

thought about doing a project similar too this beofre myself, actually..never got around too it
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Toshiba-3 »

How come the project is against the rules of the GTA forum ?!
:zomig: :errr:

Why porting models from games other than the GTA series is against their forum rules ?
I mean... The GTA3 series is all about that...

Anyway you still have this board, and if later you want a dedicated forum on CFe, just say it.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Festae
hit n run

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Festae »

wow... though.. its not that big of a surprise considering what we've already known about the gta community from the past..
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]How come the project is against the rules of the GTA forum ?![/quote]
Yeah, i was pritty stunned about that too... But when it's done I'll probably post on multiple GTA forum's anyway. I'll remember the offer, would be pritty good to have it's own forum, when there are bugs showing up... :uh:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

I decided to redo all the maps ( due to sloppy work i got a couple of errors :uho: ), but i speeded up the proces greatly! :tup:

Not really intersting screens, but just to show I'm still working... :sglasses:

[img align=skitrack 1]http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5882 ... 411kk3.jpg[/img]

[img align=skitrack 2]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2146 ... 687cq8.jpg[/img]
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by TTR »

Lol great
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Harm...
If you're able to link all the maps together... it will be such an awesome mod~

It would even deserve some kind of stand-alone installation, if you see what I mean~
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]It would even deserve some kind of stand-alone installation, if you see what I mean~[/quote]
Yes, it started out as one singular map for MTA-SA, but when i got the hang of it it evolved in a greater thing. I'm, as you are suggesting, planning to release it as a singular mod, bringing the carmageddon theme to grand theft auto.

I have all (newly extracted) tracks in one big map.

[img align=Shot from MED, mapeditor]http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/1268 ... 424aq9.jpg[/img]
screenshot from MED, the mapeditor of GTA-SA

They now need new col-sufraces (grass acts like grass, sand like sand if you know what i mean) and a couple of them need trees and car-spawnpoints. Then they need to be linked together.

I was planning on making the beaver-train-track run around the entire world, and connecting some islands with highways. Most carma maps have huge high wall's. I now decided to leave them as high as in carma 2, but to make landmass on top of them and in between the high walls, if you catch my drift. :nice: As you can see i tried to minimize the amount of landmass i have to create...

So there is still a lot of work to do... I'm spending an average of 2 hours per day on the project, so it is coming along slow but nicely. :sglasses:
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by coffeycup »

Wow! That's insane! What about putting tunnels into the high walls to get between levels? Seems like that'd be easiest.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Hm, yes, but GTA also has flying vehicles and you really need landmass to make things look better from upsky... :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Heh !

I think you got the right idea when you said you'll make landmass on top of the tracks.
Adding tunnels and subway could be a good idea as well.
Impressive screenshot there, good to see your project is still going on strong !
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Colission file editing in SA really pays off... I think these desert plants really look great. See the beaver city in the back? :sglasses:

[img align=1]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1636 ... 057gj5.jpg[/img]

[img align=2]http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/6942 ... 000hu4.jpg[/img]
coffeycup
Genesis

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by coffeycup »

That looks great, and the trees are fantastic....Beaver City in the bkg, will you be able to take a boat there? Or will there be barriers to keep you within a defined area?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Damn ! I can't wait and I definitely need to reinstall GTA:SA !
That second screenshot really is awesome, it makes you imagine a carma-world, if you see what I mean~ :mmh:

BTW how do you define water volumes in GTA:SA ? 'Cause I see that little oasis there and it makes me think it isn't at the same level as the sea, etc. Is it simple 3D like in C2 ?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah, water levels are easy to create using a max-script. You basically create square planes with some parameters controling the type of water. I just didn't create the right level there yet. I'm doing it step by step, some tunnels are still 'flooded' now, but don't worry, it's easy to finetune...
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Update:

There you have it! My first custom made landparts for the mod. This model features a connection between the airport and the desert map. It contains a tunnel that leads to the known tunnels of the desert map, has a roadway leading from the airport and has a basic extra temple on the top of the mountain. I know it doesn't look too sexy, but for a first timer I actually think it is not that bad. I'll dress it up a little with some vegetation of course, but for now, i'm pritty satisfied.

I take some more effort in the next parts of the map. As you can see now, the texturing is rather dull. I'm planing on making a big desert on top of the silo map, to cover it up. How about i put some nice Mad Max like country roads there? :heh:

I decided i'll do the modeling the easy way, using sketchup. Texturing is still a bit of a headache, but I'm getting the hang of it. The exporting between sketch and max goes like a charm by the way!

take a look;

[img]http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3734 ... gc2.th.jpg[/img]
shot of the map editor

[img]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/3382 ... uh3.th.jpg[/img]
ingame check

[img align=med]http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/9496 ... 274up3.jpg[/img]
overview
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by TTR »

You used sketchup??? You better could use Max, i know it's different from Maya but still...

Also when done this should actually also go to C2 :nyaha:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Toshiba-3 »

It's so strange to see these maps linked to eachother~
Great job !

And it could indeed be ported back to C2 afterward uh ?! UH ?!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by TTR »

I guess with lesser noncars etc to win more polies hehe..
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

[quote]You used sketchup??? You better could use Max, i know it's different from Maya but still...[/quote]
I know i know, but it takes m so much time for me to familiarize myself with max and the way it textures... sketchup is just too easy :nyaha:

What do you guys think are the possibility's of this going to carma 2? :heh: I mean, what are the game's limits to map size and polygons?
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by TTR »

Pffrt is there? We had a map so huge it was even larger then GTASA map lol...1100 yon and lots of polies...
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Hello ppl,

long time, no update... this is because i have been working on the project, but just didn't get any nice result to show you people.
The thing that took most of my time lately is converting other Carmageddon models to 3dMax. What did i convert? All of the Carmageddon 1 tracks! :nice:

I realised that aside the Carmageddon 2 tracks i have lots of 'world space' left to fill with other tracks. I started building landmass inbetween, but i really still had to cover up large area's...

The plan is to put as much carmageddon 1 tracks in the worldmap as well. That way i can fill the entire 3000 square units i have... :) Carmageddon has a couple of 'indoor' racetracks, tracks that never show the skylight. I will probably put these tracks in an interior layer... But i won't bore you guys with a lot of GTA details... :nyaha:

I'm basically spending a couple of hours a week on the project, mostly every day. But lately my schoolproject have come into play, which take quite a lot of my time. I will also be going to South Afrika for the coming 5 weeks round Cristmas, :sglasses:, so i guess i wont be making a lot of updates lately. Probably i will start putting more effort in the project in the coming year...

Harm
R66C
hit n run

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by R66C »

"That way i can fill the entire 3000 square units i have... :) " - WOW! Sounds god damn good! So, at this point, you're try to make entire Carmageddon world???... Can't wait to ride... Glad to see the project had go so far.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

Yep that is what i'm aiming for. I might be a bit to ambitious, but I believe I can pull it off to combine all track models into one big world. :sglasses:

btw; I also converted all car models to work on for the mod. I'll have to get into car-converting yet, but at least i have the models to start with now...
R66C
hit n run

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by R66C »

Sounds real interesting... So what about these C1 tracks? They'll be good as intersections, because of their simple design (Coastal Carnage, Mist Me and others... Can't remember place names at this time), between complex C2 tracks... And what 'bout cars? Ol' good C1&C2 rides with random remakes, or another good rides in Carma style?
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

This is sounding very cool(even in spite of not having GTA:SA)!
C2 vehicles would probably be best, unless you are willing to add interiors, doors, and such to the C1 vehicles. It would still be good with just C2, considering the number and variety of vehicles. Also, some people have made new or improved versions of C1/C2 vehicles for C2.
By the way, just in case you didn't already know, the C1 cities combine into one large city. This was done with "Bleak City" for C2(there are two versions of this-one is entirely original C1, and another is an improved version).
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Carma2 to GTA-SA project

Post by Harmalarm »

@ R66C; You are right about the more simplistic design of the carmageddon 1 tracks, but i'm not planning on making them look better. I like them the way they are now, and they are not even that simpler than the c2 tracks anyway.

@ R66C and SHOTGUN; The carmageddon 2 cars are a lot easier to convert, since they all have doors and simple interiors. I want to look into the cars, see if i can easilly replace the textures and leave the geometry to see if it looks better. If not, i think i'll try to remake them. I know about the remakes that are being made for the carmageddon tribute. It would be a good idea to put them in the mod as well, but i will have to get permission for that. Oh, and I also know about the Bleak City map, but I'm trying to make my own version of the city's. It will not really buy me that much time to convert the Bleak city as well, instead of combining them myself.

Right now i'm still focusing on the world-map. I'm building up my MAX knowledge as I go, and I also need to get a little experience in Car-moddeling for SA. But I finally have a couple of hours free tonight! :sglasses: If I get anything interesting tonight I'll post it.

Check who’s online