Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Something coming?

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Something coming?

Post by Razor »

Anybody care to take a look here: http://carmageddon.com/

A countdown, what be going on 'ere then?

@Errol: I don't suppose you saw that guy with the pony wandering around Wrexham? :P
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Mastro 666
motorised death

Re: Something coming?

Post by Mastro 666 »

Reno
hit n run

Post by Reno »

Interesting.....

11 Days and 14 hours until....??
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!

I'm getting excited!!!!!!!

Max must be back!!!!!!!!
Guardo o mundo na mão: e o mundo que se foda
roadkill804
hit n run

Post by roadkill804 »

Seems like something big.
I'm just a lurker.
Alex_Dynamite
road raged psycho

Post by Alex_Dynamite »

WAH
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Now this IS interesting!

It looks like it runs out at 9am GMT (10am BST/11am CEST) on the 1st of June.
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

Nao something interesting coming :lol: A serious thing this time probably, as thy counter there is :lol:
Сделано в СССР
swintendo
mechanic

Post by swintendo »

Registered to square enix?

I really hope they go all out. Cause if it's zombie bullshit or crappy damage physics or some story nonsense in there, then no thanks. I dunno about you guys but a great new carmageddon would be gta4 with limbs going off, c1-type cars, burnout paradise/gta4 damage and destructable environements. S all it needs. But look at what came from square enix, great games but uhhh, there's like 2 racers in their list and one of em is BLUR........lego racers with ricer cars.

They did release just cause 2, shooting terrorist types. Maybe it's carmageddon al qaeda or something haha. As long as there's people to run over and great crashes to be made. But we'll see, i kinda expect them to hold their shit and keep it 'lame'.
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

I don't think they'll screw this up so bad. Carmageddon is one of the, if it's not the only game so far that dispite having no "best game award" nor great propaganda, still have a large community of fans. We constantly are looking for new Carma items and stuff to buy, I bought 3 Carma 2 big boxes, for no aparent reason.

And also, TDR 2000 (which I loved), was a total failure, every review game it score 5 and down, but Carmageddon series just didn't died.

So if they are really making a new Carmageddon, I don't think they'll make it with zombies and all that crap. I don't like Square Enix, but I think they might do a great job this time. And I hope that, just like you said, this game will be a GTA IV with limbs going off.
Guardo o mundo na mão: e o mundo que se foda
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

The whole Pedestrian -> Zombie/Alien/Dinosaur/Robot changes were made entirely due to censorship and rating restrictions and not intentional design ideas..

Unless you're talking about the console ports of the game which is a totally different matter.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

I'm waiting to see how Square Enix handles bringing back Deus Ex before I get excited about this.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I can't see it being any good to be honest, they're just riding the Deus Ex cash machine to its grave. Squeenix seem to have ran out of ideas so they're resurrecting old IPs and making a new Deus Ex game. I'll still probably buy it as I (like most people who played it) thoroughly enjoyed the original when it came out.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

To be brutally honest, I won't care if it's zombies instead of humans as long as the actual game is solid and plays like Carma 1 or 2. At the end of the day it would be the same game no matter what graphics it uses and if it's the choice between crippling the gore levels on humans or using zombies, I'd prefer for full gore zombies. Not to mention, humans can always be patched in afterwards, whether it be an officially made patch or mod made by fans.

I'm approaching this with mild scepticism until it actually announced. There's been more let downs with the development of a new Carmageddon game over the past decade than with Duke Nukem Forever.

However I am relatively optimistic due to how they're handling Deus Ex. If they were milking Deus Ex to death then they would have just pumped it out in a year and be working on another already. However everything I've seen and heard of the game looks like a more than fitting prequel to Deus Ex, complete with the blessing of Warren Spector. To be honest, it looks more like Deus Ex than Invisible War did, and that was made by the original development team. If they handle Carmageddon with the same respect they seem to have shown for Deus Ex then we shouldn't have much to worry about.

What's most interesting is the fact the countdown timer end time implies a British development team. If it turns out to be Stainless then I will have a massive fangasm. I'm not expecting it to be, but one can hope.
a.k.a. Brent
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

Not to mention, humans can always be patched in afterwards, whether it be an officially made patch or mod made by fans.

You're assuming the game will support mods. In all likelihood it will not. We don't even know if there will be a PC version.

However everything I've seen and heard of the game looks like a more than fitting prequel to Deus Ex, complete with the blessing of Warren Spector. To be honest, it looks more like Deus Ex than Invisible War did, and that was made by the original development team.

Warren Spector's blessing means nothing. What's he gonna do, damn them for messing with a franchise he created? It reminds me of the blessing James Cameron game Terminator Salvation.

What's most interesting is the fact the countdown timer end time implies a British development team. If it turns out to be Stainless then I will have a massive fangasm. I'm not expecting it to be, but one can hope.

I dunno, what has Stainless done in the last ten years besides shovelware crap? We had a similar situation last year when Rebellion returned to do Aliens vs. Predator 3. They made the original AvP on Jaguar and the first AvP on PC over a decade ago (about the same time as Carmageddon). Since then they've made nothing but crap. And it turned out their return to AvP was a huge disaster.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

You're assuming the game will support mods. In all likelihood it will not. We don't even know if there will be a PC version.
No, I'm not assuming the game will have official mod support. If it's popular then fans will figure out how to mod it, just like with games like F1 2010, Street Fighter 4, GTA4 and, to an extent, previous Carmageddon games, among countless others. Yes this is dependant on there being a PC version but I would be very surprised if there wasn't. Like I said, if it has zombies then someone will release a proper human mod for it at some point.

Warren Spector's blessing means nothing. What's he gonna do, damn them for messing with a franchise he created? It reminds me of the blessing James Cameron game Terminator Salvation.
Yes, if he thought it wasn't staying true to what Deus Ex should be then Warren Spector would certainly voice his opinion. It's not like he has any ties to either the project or Squenix and such business relationships have never stopped him before. His personal opinion of the Deus Ex is that it's everything a Deus Ex game should. If that doesn't mean anything then I can't imagine what does without having the game in your hand.

I dunno, what has Stainless done in the last ten years besides shovelware crap? We had a similar situation last year when Rebellion returned to do Aliens vs. Predator 3. They made the original AvP on Jaguar and the first AvP on PC over a decade ago (about the same time as Carmageddon). Since then they've made nothing but crap. And it turned out their return to AvP was a huge disaster.
Stainless have been pumping out shovelware? That's a new one to me. They have made a number of small downloadable titles, but that's hardly shovelware. Their portfolio of games is actually pretty solid with quality small games, just nothing anyone would consider a big, triple A title. They have been building the business back up using licensed properties meeting critical success along the way. You might naively consider this 'shovelware' but it's actually a very acceptable business model as it allows small independent developers like Stainless to develop triple A level games over the course of years without worries about bankrupting the company trying to make it.

Rebellion with AvP was a completely different situation. They had to make the game stand out in an over-saturated genre and just up dating the graphics on AvP1's gameplay would not have cut it. So they tried too hard to do too much too differently and innovate in the wrong areas and just messed it all up. Further more it was a licensed property which Sega have been busting developers' balls over. They mishandled AvP3 almost as badly as they mishandled Obsidian's Alien RPG.

Stainless know Carmageddon better than any other developer, they still have most of the creatives who designed the original working for them and it's genre pretty much barren of anything overly successful. After what happened with TDR2000 removing the point of doing anything except actual racing and from what I've seen of the previously cancelled Carma4 projects trying to make it more like Twisted Metal, I've lost faith that any one else could make the game with out messing it up. Not to mention they have a fully working modern engine which has all the features required for a Carmageddon game.
a.k.a. Brent
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Post by Teutonicus »

Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

As Wayne or Garth would've put it..

"Schwing"!

I was hoping some of you seen it already. I found out today and got myself almost an erotic tingle along my spine. I'm keeping my hopes up. It could be a nice game. Hopefully somewhat mod friendly too for all interested to feed our fetishes!

And regarding Stainless, which some of you comment about. To me it doesn't matter much if it's them or not. Or to be completly honest I would almost prefer to have a new team, with fresh input. A team that can look at a game, pick up the core parts and sort out what the fun part actually was. That only takes some reasearch and interest to have a possibility to come with a respectful sequal. There are many young and skilled people working with games these day, where often other factors from above fucking stuff up. The most recent thing regarding fucking up I've personally read, I think is Activision with Modern Combat.

Looking at car games today is interesting. Flat-Out was a breeze when it came, years ago. That standard can of course be found in other games as well. I can't recall GTA4 though being as dynamic. If I'm not mistaken they still use static replacement parts. Correct me if I'm wrong. Still looks quite nice, though.

But I do hope of not too crazy vehicles. All games had them, yes. But looking back to the first game and the magick feeling some vehicles and tracks had. I played the demo hundreds of times. "Blood on the Rooftops" will always remain as my favorite track.. Cities, fog, dark and cold colours, poor innocent bystanders cheering, together with some smashing industrial metal!

I remember "Clutch" had some potential..
-[ Growl Karaoke ]-[ Image ]-[ Abacorn ]-[ Portfolio ]-
Recent exploit: Trapped The Forces of Evil in a box.. and shaked it!
Defect
driver

Post by Defect »

Wow. This is big news. If it is a new game (and it's gotta-be, right?) then I hope they do it justice. Make it a C2 style game, not TDR.

Exciting times. :smile:

(Hi again all, btw).
Wolfheart
turbo bastard

Post by Wolfheart »

About time, hope it turns out to be a C2like game. And mod friendly.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011- ... armageddon

The Carmageddon reboot that emerged last week is an independent project, a new report claims.

Square Enix, which is registered to the countdown website, has nothing to do with the game, VG247 reports.

"While the new game's developer is not confirmed, original studio Stainless is now concerned with producing downloadable titles based on existing IP, such as Magic: The Gathering and Risk," reads the site.

The Carmageddon IP rights have been negotiated away from Square Enix, owner of Eidos. This new game will be revealed on 1st June, ahead of E3.
If this is true then the news just keeps getting better and better, not to mention adds weight to the possibility that Stainless could be involved.
a.k.a. Brent
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

Wow, if those news are true, then, wow...

Anyway, as long as the game is mod friendly, it can be like C1 or C2 for all I care...
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

I hereby present you:

Carmageddon.com

Driving Game IP Ltd (DRIVINGG122)

Homestead Cottage, Caulbourne Lane

Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, PO41 0TZ

GB

Name & Registered Office:

DRIVING GAME IP LTD

3 GARFIELD ROAD

RYDE

ISLE OF WIGHT

PO33 2PS

Company No. 07177610

Name & Registered Office:

STAINLESS GAMES LIMITED

3 GARFIELD ROAD

RYDE

ISLE OF WIGHT

PO33 2PS

Company No. 04297229

/me puts his magnifying glass and pipe away
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

It seems you're right, the info was updated this morning according to one WhoIs search site. I tried a few others which have their last update listed as yesterday where it was still owned by SquareEnix. Bloody awesome news!
a.k.a. Brent
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

:cool:
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

"It seems you're right"

You say that like it's unusual :P

Does that alter anyone perspective on the above? I've got an tablet desperate for some carnage. Is mobile/tablet the way forward? Probably not, but it does has some potential.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Another PC game with similar if not greater (dunno how much greater you can get) modding capabilities than C2. That's all I want, as long as it's not a multiplat, console dominant, piece-of-shit port to PC like everything else is nowadays then I'll be happy. :beer:
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

Multiplayer with Steam Distribution, would be a winning combination for me, if not a basic necessity these days. Stainless appear to have steam mastered already, check out one of their newer games: http://store.steampowered.com/app/47800/

I was wondering if games are trending to be more complex and locked down as far as modding goes these days, in the age of DLC, in order to limit the amount of free user generated content and provide another income stream from the micro purchases. I'm not averse to official DLC, but there needs to be a happy medium between modding that makes longevity and cult status possible for a game, and the need for the publisher to rake in some extra pennies while expanding the game. Happy middle ground where the difference between payment and free is perhaps polished quality. Not to go off on a tangent or anything.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

You say that like it's unusual :P
Heh, not so much unusual but more just a pleasant surprise as all the searches I'd done in the morning all said Square Enix still owned the domain ;P

It would be neat to see Carmageddon on tablets and phones, but first and foremost PC and consoles should be targeted before considering the more casual gaming platforms, though obviously it should be made for the PC first and then ported to consoles afterwards. Steamworks integration would be a must on the PC, multiplayer would be pretty much a given along with all the mod cons like achievements, cloud stored savegames and all that. As they have worked with Steam for Magic The Gathering, it seems an obvious choice.

If it's true that Stainless own the property completely now, I don't think there will be anything to worry about on the mod front. Lock down on mod support is usually a decision made by the publisher & IP owner rather than the developer themselves. Even if they don't have proper mod support in the game they'll likely leave it as open for fiddling as C2 was, after all that never had built in support for mods, it just was structured to allow the designers to create the content easily.

I would have no argument with them releasing paid DLC, it's the modern day equivalent to things like the Splat Pack. Portal 2 is an example of a game with official (albeit free) DLC and user made levels, Crysis 2 is another (though its mod support is coming later in the year) so it's not a far fetched idea to have paid DLC and mod support.

As I said, if Stainless really do own Carmageddon 100% then they're the ones calling the shots and there should be no publisher interference.
a.k.a. Brent
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

Toothrot: "I don't think there will be anything to worry about on the mod front. "

Not asking you specifically, but more all of you. How open and mod-friendly were they in the beginning? I remember TDR came with some tools after a while. Most of us remember the classic "Iwanttofiddle", but did C1 or C2 have some sort of positive feedback from the makers/publishers regarding mods? TDR did came with some tools, as I mentioned. C1/C2 was more or less opened by modders, if I remember it correctly. So they were not offically mod-supporters in a sense.

Regarding DLC's. It can work, yes. Offical releases are ok to be released as payable DLC's. A bit greedy, though. A few coins here and there.. Yeah, yeah, my ass! A lot of projects are going on that train. There's logic behind it too. I can understand the thought behind it. Still greedy.

What I especially don't like is releases that HAVE content, which you unlock by paying for a "DLC". I think Modern Warfare 2 went through that issue. Fuckin Activision again, I suppose..

Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

Stainless released Plaything 2 to the community very early on. They also supplied various plugins for 3D Studio Max 2 to help. Being the cheeky chap I am I emailed them asking for help on some modding topics and Nobby took the time to explain things and helped me learn. I then wrote a number of modding guides (now no longer available) to help the community at large. I spoke to almost everyone that worked at Stainless at one point or another, they were an incredibly helpful bunch.

Sorry for the ranty-styles. I'm knackered and having to do work I really don't want to before I can go to bed.

-Errol
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

Ahh, no worries. Thanks for the heads up. I actually didn't know/remember that. Then.. High Five, Errol!
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

As Errol said, Stainless was always encouraging of the mod community and provided their internal tools to help, though they were provided without official technical support or anything like that as the average modder these days expects out of, say, Half-Life or Unreal games. It was all provided 'as is.'

My comment about C2 "never had built in support for mods" was in regards to how the game itself handled them rather than the stance of the developers. It was never aware of mods, C2 simply acted like it was all just part of the normal game. In a sense, C2 was far more open to modding than TDR was, but it had less in game support for it if you get what I mean.
a.k.a. Brent
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

To be honest if it was easier out of the box I would have to wonder if it would have been as much fun to discover everything for ourselves. The thrill of the chase and all :smile: It was immensely satisfying. Plus, I'm sure being told something couldn't be done and then doing it is the sole cause of errol's humungously oversized head.

And while we're on the subject of massively oversized... but not on the subject of errol so get your head out of the gutter, it's dissapointing to see that annoyingly large signature images are still the trend :smile:
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

True that. I was told that it would be impossible to make a new map for C2 as we didn't have the required dev tools. Toxic Ragers: first new map, bitches!

-Errol "still has a massive head, 13 years later" Errolson
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::

Check who’s online