Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Potential new pedpack?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Yfrid
hit n run

Potential new pedpack?

Post by Yfrid »

recently i got interested about some models in Crazy Taxy 3 for pc, especially peds

the big trouble is that almost all game's data is archived in some mysterious .BIN files, i've tried to open them using winrar or winzip, using drives emulators like daemon or alcohool (because the .BIN extension is also used as discs image) but nothing...

so, the only way was to rip 3d "screenshots" ingame using Dx3DRipper. it worked, but rips comes out incomplete, distorted, lots of missing textures etc. and i have to haunt peds around and take screens..

and in addition, peds articolations were a bit different than C2 (like gta3 ones) so this mean that i have to clean every ped welding unused articolations to get them lighter and smoother possible, and fix FOV distortion too. here some cleaned rips:

they're under 500 tris per ped

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3213/pedlow.jpg

i'm ripping also drivers models, they're a bit heavier (around 700-800 tris) but so sweet detailed! i've started to texture one of them:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4700/pedhigh.jpg some have to be cleaned

there's also the menù charachers hipoly models, but they're over 2.500 tris, i'll not rip them, it's useless for C2 :\

i've not ripped textures because, excluded some clothes textures, i'm not interested on original ones at all.

all this stuff means a lot of work, especially for a n00b like me, that i'm wondering is if those peds models got potential. i won't spend lots of my C2 modding time on something useless :\
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Potential new pedpack?

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, might be worth pulling a few of the more uniques peds out of Crazy Taxi.

A whole ped pack is a lot of work. 'specially for a n00b who hasn't released anything. JHMO
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

thanks for the answers :wink:

ok, i'll convert just some models and get an happer n00b life :tongue:

i'm finishing this one:

i've mirrored many parts to get more space in the 256x256 texture using bigger images and gain sharper details (differenty from my lara ped skin were, apart arms, had no mirrored parts), but this mean a repeatitive bloody texture :sad:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/1881/peddolo.jpg

as you can see i've tried to apply some smoothing groups (on the back, on the pubes, under the shoes, a detail on pants, on pectorals and collar) are them looking proper?

any suggestion is welcome :smile:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Looks like a good model. I think the view distortion makes his hands look really big, but in the actual model they are probably fine. Smoothing groups are good apart from the border between both half's of the model. You should weld those vertices's and make the smoothing continuous over there.

Also the stretched texture on the arms might look better with better uv's, but I don't think it is necessary.

Keep it up!
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

thanks! yes, hands are not so big :P

i've not understanded "the border between both half's of the model" (sorry my english suxxx) do you mean between body and neck?

btw, i've fixed a bit the uv distortion :smile:

now i'm stuck on PT2 (damned n00bness)

when lara's model was relased, coffeycup has done the setup in PT2, but i've not asked him the procedure (i've wondered to figure it out by myself, but meh..this is the result :lol: )

i've renamed all parts propery (i think)

using Objects>Change object names>rename actor of selected object (i've tried the others listed by hotekys, but nothing happened..)

the model got correct proportions (no gigant man lol) and is called FUNKPED.DAT and texture FUNKPED.TIF

body parts as:

RBOTLED.DAT

RTOPAED.DAT

RBOTAED.DAT

LTOPLED.DAT

RTOPLED.DAT

LBOTLED.DAT

MANBED.ACT

LBOTAED.DAT

HEED.DAT

like happened on lara's model, this time again when converted by BeMax form 3ds to C2 the ped comes out inside a gigant white box

and btw, the whole model and HEED.DAT looks like the same object (clicking on them a green box appear around the head)

any help? sorry for bother :sad:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well, I didn't set up Lara, but I did do a bunch of other peds.

Aww crap. This can be difficult to explain. :wink:

Usually the torso is the parent part and head, arms and legs are children of it.

A lot of times when you import the .asc of the ped, all the parts including the torso are grouped together into an object that shows up as the big white box.

So, you need to drag all the pieces and parts out of that hierachy. And then create a new empty object. Drag the torso into that. Flatten that heirachy giving it the name of the torso. Then drag the head, arms, legs under that. Delete the empty white box.

Ok, this is confusing I know. If you get stuck send me the model and I'll set it up.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

with the border between both half's I mean the mirror plane. The smoothing groups at those edges are a bit weird now.

As coffeycup tries to explain, you need to clean up the hierarchy, after importing. There is an animated gif that explains how to do this.

It quite an annoying thing to do, but when you get the hang of it, you can do it quicker.

btw, always make sure you select the objects correctly. I often try to rename/delete objects, and think I selected them, but I didn't. Plaything is a little unclear about what you selected and what not, when you don't know the program.

There is not much info on ped-modding as I know, but this pt2 tutorial might also give you some help; http://www.savage-elve.net/?h=3&p=10
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Regardless, he needs to do something with the hierachy to get rid of the dummy white box.

I did have problems with my first attempts at peds. Not even sure what it was I was doing wrong.

Since there were no tutorials all I could do was mimic what was going on with an existing ped.

I still follow the naming convention mostly for my own sanity and I so can do a find/replace to change the 2 letter ID on an existing ped.txt to get some quick paperwork working. Once it's in the game, I go back and fiddle with the position of the pivots.
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

yehaaaw! it works, it works! thaks for the assistance !! :grin:

but as toshiba says, some SGs got messed :\

to make it work i had to use and edit the .txt of another random ped, because the "save ped" tool in PT2 won't work :crazy: , it says "source and destination are the same." or "couldn't open default ped data file." the trouble is that now all bones looks really weird :supercrazy: this isn't the first time that i mess on peds coords but this time i'm quite disoriented, editing coords looks nice walking, but others movements...

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

ok, there is it (i've added also the original 3ds):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PG9RWM7H

by now on pt2 i've fixed neck's SG (in the pic there's a SG on the top, that shouldn't be there, because in the original model from the pectorals to the whole neck there was only one SM and unwelded faces in the mid of pectorals. like this:

after the conversion, faces got welded and the top of the neck reset to SG1) others SG seems to be ok, but they're almost unvisible in-game.

btw, on the material i've applied: lit, smoot, correct perspective and two-sided (mainly to show details like ear's and collar's back)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

yay! finished! :eek:

added toshiba's coords, and bloody texture of course!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=13RGYGE4

there are 2 different peds in the archive:

Funkped and funkped01 they're the same ped but funkped01 haven't sunglasses :tongue:

i'll make some different skins in those days.

thanks again guys :cool:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Do you want it hosted up on Wasted?
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

that's ok for me, thanks :smile:
Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

thanks tosh, i'll remind that next time :grin:

ot:

weird, when i attempt to edit my posts this error comes up:

"Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /homepages/18/d187646531/htdocs/vhosts/cwaboard.com/httpdocs/ubbthreads/languages/italian/editpost.php on line 8"

Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Lol Tosh, my bad. :tongue:

Anyway, here it is, didn't know what to call it, so it's "Funk Ped", anyway, I'll re-upload it if you update the file.

http://carmadownloads.jjunkies.com/inde ... iew&id=870

*Points out the edit button*
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

These are great. You gonna do a few more? I think you should have taken the few extra minutes to change the second ped's skin a little.

I changed the shirt and hair color on the one in my game.

Yfrid
hit n run

Post by Yfrid »

yes :wink:

i like so much how they looks in C2, neat but lighter than gta3 ones at the sametime :cool:

cheers to Sega modellers :lol:

you're right about the skin, but i wondered to relase it faster possible :tongue:

Check who’s online