Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Now I'm getting annoyed once more.

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Jon606
hit n run

Now I'm getting annoyed once more.

Post by Jon606 »

You may remember I posted this earlier in the year:

http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... o=&fpart=1

Well, guess what?

IT'S STILL HAPPENING.

I went to install the game as usual, installed it, reinstalled Zeckensack's glide wrapper, installed the XP / Vista patch from n3wton's site, tried it... I got the Front screen error once again.

I haven't changed my graphics card since then but I did wonder about the version of Carmageddon 2 I have.

It's supposedly the UK blood edition, but it was the Sold Out Software re-issue of it which came out, according to the box, two years later than the original release. I wondered if this might have something to do with it, seeing as it's not the first version of it.

So, can anyone help me on this, or am I going to have to play the software mode forever? (Sorry if it sounds a bit impatient)
Jon606
hit n run

Re: Now I'm getting annoyed once more.

Post by Jon606 »

...and for some reason the admin's deleted my old thread when I only asked for it to be closed :confused: :crazy:

Anyway, here is what has happened if you weren't able to see that thread:

I have been stuck playing C2 on software mode for ages and I want to play it on hardware mode. So I downloaded Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper and pressed the Glide button in the C2 Launcher. It goes to the black screen for literally 5 seconds and then this error message pops up:

---------------------------

Carmageddon Fatal Error

BRender error detected:

Failure: Unable to allocate Main Front Screen

Then I tried using the OpenGL mode, but it crashes during the intro screen.

I tried playing it in compatability mode, reinstalling the game, using different glide wrappers, and even installing Carma Life 2! But the problem persists!

:help:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I deleted it by accident, ok? Have you tried DGVoodoo if GlideWrapper doesn't work?
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Just tried that - gave me this:

carma2_hw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT: I uninstalled Zeckensack's to see if there was a program counteraction between them, but I still get the above message.

EDIT TWO: I uninstalled C2, dgVoodoo and also removed the Banger TC from my system incase that was the cause of the problem, but it turns out that it wasn't. I am now installing Carma-Life 2 to see if it cures the problem like it did for coffeycup.
Jon606
hit n run

I cannot believe this.

Post by Jon606 »

Well I just tried Carma-Life 2 there, and the exact same error message came up as the first time I had this problem! :supermad:

Here's my Glide Wrapper settings if anyone wants to look at them:

coffeycup
Genesis

Re: I cannot believe this.

Post by coffeycup »

Try the settings from the attached JPG, they differ slightly from what you're using
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Huh? What JPEG?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

oops, this one
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post deleted by coffeycup

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

I would rather try to untwat said Main Front Screen. That's in INTRFACE/BACKDROP/MAIN.TWT

I will try this using the TWT Suite I found by searching (see, the search tool is useful! :lol:)

EDIT: Right, I unpacked the main.twt and I have two files, PIXIES.P08 and PIXIES.P16 - what do I do now?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

One should unpack them as well using Cesm's pixies unpacker, but here you can actually rename main.twt into main.Twat or something, create a folder named main, create a folder named tiffrgb then put a 640*480 tiff file in there (in the good format for C2 (no compression - IBM PC - 4k strip size - and here no alpha channel)).
So this main folder goes in the INTRFACE folder then?

And wasn't there something like an alternate set of .tiff files for the C2 screens - or am I thinking of the wrong game? :confused:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Good thing I did put it into the Backdrop folder then! :lol:

I'll try and find a suitable image from somewhere for it... or maybe someone has the Backdrops.zip file from C2 Scientist's site :smile:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Sorry to barge in, why is C2S take his site down, i loved the sdtuff he had, i avoided downloading it until i re-installed C2, after doing so i went to his site and it was down.

*leaves the conversation as if he never entered*
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Quick question: does the .tif file have to be renamed to MAIN.tif?

And to go on about C2S's site: I thought it was pretty neat too.

It didn't get taken down until this year I think.

Also, can I have the Backdrops.zip off of you C2S? :tongue:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

i loved his site, i vote to petition that its re-upped.

*leaves again*
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

Have you installed the super patch 2?

http://carmadownloads.jjunkies.com/inde ... iew&id=778

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

aww ok - I know I always end up with this error:

Carmageddon Fatal Error

BRender error detected:

Failure: Unable to allocate Main Front Screen

and I have to install the super patch - dont know why, but it normally fixes it (thats normal c2) though

I think its completely randomized for every user.... :>
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Yes, I have QuickTime installed, but I haven't tried the super patch (unless the super patch = windows xp / vista patch)

One weird thing that has just happened is after installing the Toxic Ragers main menu, the first error appears. BUT, with Coffey's mac carpocalypse main menu, the game goes to a black screen and then back to the desktop.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

i get exactly the same error when trying to fire up C1.

o.O
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

I just tried the Super Patch (turns out it isn't the same as the XP / Vista Patch) and I get the same error as the first time! :mad:

Also, this file called _GR2GL.txt keeps reappearing everytime I attempt to play, and always get this same text:

<pre>[font class="small">code:[/font]<hr>Beginning Glide2 log

grab_extensions failed, missing the minimum set of common GL extensions</pre><hr>

What's that about?! :crazy:
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Couldn't edit my previous post, but this error isn't going away. :sad:

I've got QuickTime 7 installed, but what would that have to do with anything? :confused:

EDIT: I checked my C2 CD, and the back of it is all scratched and dirty. Could that be a relation to my problem?

EDIT TWO: :eek: I have just realised that I hadn't installed DirectX9 beforehand! :supermad:

Hopefully this SHOULD fix the problem!

EDIT THREE:...and that hasn't fixed anything. Great.

A summary of what the other two options on the launcher do BESIDES the software one:

3DFX Glide: Goes to a black screen for 5 seconds and the error message pops up.

Direct 3D: Plays the intro movie but then cuts out after Max has destroyed Rod Hell's car, causing the game to crash.

Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

I have just tried C2 on my laptop, and this is what it comes up with every time, whether it's on Glide or Direct 3D. I tried it with the official XP patch and without but it still says:

carma2_hw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Looks like I'm destined to play C2 on software mode forever :sad:
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

u tried the compability mode within XP?
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

....oh sheet.

I knew I'd forgotten to do something! :rofl:
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Just tried it with the compatability option, and it doesn't work at all - keeps crashing with the carma2_hw.exe message has performed an invalid conclusion or whatever it is.

I have come to the conclusion that it is not my PC or laptop, but it is my copy of Carmageddon 2 that is causing these problems. Should I buy another version from Amazon or eBay?
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

My advice: Get rid of any Mac related software first!

I once installed QuickTime, and 15 minutes after the installation was completed, my computer was screwed. It refused to connect to the internet (network connection was established though, and other computers in that network had no problems with internet), and suddenly my audio didn't function at all. Got rid of QucikTime, my PC worked fine again for 2 days, after that all that stuff happened again, so I checked my installed software to see if the bitches had installed iTunes as well. All I could find was "Apple Software Updates", so I kicked that off my machine, and it never had those problems again.

I know there are many pro-Apple people on earth, and I respect that they like Apple's products, but to me it's just the worst possible pieces of software they release. Let alone their freakishley overpriced iPods and MacBooks. Damn!
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

agreed
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

An update: my PC had to go and get fixed because it had some virus that prevented it from working. I should pick it up by tomorrow so I will test C2 on it again.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jon606
hit n run

Unbelievable!

Post by Jon606 »

The PC came back today, I put C2 on, put the compatability tab to 98 / Me, installed the glide wrapper, and it has came up with the front screen error AGAIN. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Does this mean I should get a new copy of C2?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: Unbelievable!

Post by Razor »

You could always buy the Sold-out version of C2 (it comes with TDR2000 aswell), it has the XP patch automatically applied to it and should work fine with a glidewrapper
Jon606
hit n run

Re: Unbelievable!

Post by Jon606 »

You could always buy the Sold-out version of C2 (it comes with TDR2000 aswell), it has the XP patch automatically applied to it and should work fine with a glidewrapper

That's the version I have.

I found the original UK version (the one with zombies) on eBay for £12 - should I buy that and then put the XP / Vista patch on afterwards, or should I buy a new Sold Out re-release of it?

Check who’s online