Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

General rules for permissions to release mods of others' works.

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

General rules for permissions to release mods of others' works.

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, there's been a lotta talk lately about asking permission from original authors to use models or parts of models/skins, etc.

Just in case some new guys don't quite understand:

Here in the Carmageddon community, we respect each other, usually-and we respect each others' work. It's what separates us from "other" communities where theft and plagiarism run rampant.

Nobody likes to get ripped off.

So then, here we go:

1.)It's OK to mod the hell out of anybody's models/skins/.txt files, etc. as long as it's for your own use. You can do whatever you want to your own downloaded stuff, but if you plan on RELEASING IT (Posting it on a website) either within the Carmageddon community or elsewhere, most of us would appreciate it if you'd ask us permission before doing so. Some, like AdR, explicitly state on his host website and in his vehicle readmes that no modified releases or scrounged parts are to be used from any of his vehicles.

He says so-that's the way it is. We here respect that and abide by it.

We usually would like to see a preview or try it out for ourselves before deciding-after all-your work is representing us, 'cause we made the original thing you're modding.

Usually we'll give you an OK to release it-Some of us may not-RESPECT that, please! We'd offer YOU the same courtesy.

2.)Skins: Unless you've just rearranged the textures without changing them (repainting)-your skin for somebody else's model is your own work. You do not need permission to release it.

We are real people here behind these words who come back regularly and pay attention to what is said on these forums. Please treat us as such-we'd appreciate it and so will you in return.

Thanks.

D_B
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Re: Suggested general rules for permissions to release mods of others' works-a guideline for nOObs.

Post by Savage-Elve »

I think this is what i wanted to state.

I would add some things to it.

A skin is supposed to be the textures only (tiffrgb,pix8,pix16 folders). If you also release the .act, .dat and .mat files it's considered a mod.

That way when releasing skins you have to add a link to the original download.

Also ask when you want to host files of others on your site.

Giving credits is for free, so why not.

Last but not least,

Have a good time editing, modding or maybe even playing. :wink:

Don't shoot me, i'm just the piano player.
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Re: Suggested general rules for permissions to release mods of others' works-a guideline for nOObs.

Post by autopilot »

"or maybe even playing. "

Heh, well I make a lotta cars cause I get bored of this game way too easily since I play it so much. So the only way to make it fun/interesting again is to make a new car.

And thats a usual cycle - build a car, get it in game, play with it for a few days, get bored, get another one going.

The games zzzzz if I use the same stuff for over a year.

Ive been trying to find other ways of making it fun again though, I even added some pedestrians back in the game after I changed some of the annoying/terrible sound files they came with.

Also went around looking at some older cars people made, couldnt find anything except that 1950 DAF semi of yours, which is an excellent vehicle, simple, low-poly.

I remember It was one of the cars I picked up when I first started playing. Dont know where it went for a few years after that though. I usually dont like trucks, especially Semis, but if they are old cab overs they are great - especially single axle. You should make a new one of them me thinks, kinda like that one in your icon.

I'd like to make a truck like that, nice useable/texturable truck photos are difficult to find though.

Anyway, I dont really view the community that way like you do though, I dont know why'd you look at it like that, I say "Lollygaggers". There needs to be more people making stuff if you ask me.

TANk
hit n run

Post by TANk »

Urrh. I think this started with me "borrowing" and editing TTR's Behemoth Exhaust's.

I didn't know that skins and models meant so much to the authors(but understand it i can).

So next time when i am going to "borrow" stuff, i'm going to ask for permission first.

Sorry TTR.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

No problem, i didnt give you any heat did i? :wink:
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Post by Savage-Elve »

Thanks, plans for another DAF semi are in the pipeline, but my avatar is still a real-life pic.

I think there's a difference between community rules and rules of the individual modelers. By asking you will soon find out what different people expect. Like my idea stated in that other tread.

These general rules are mainly for start.

TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

Fuck, CWA lawyer anyone? :tongue:
Evil Blarg
road raged psycho

Post by Evil Blarg »

DB, where's your accent dude? Is this like somekind of superhero identity thing?

On a more related note: Using other people's stuff in videos. As far as I have gathered it's okay to use it, right? However, as far as I'm concerned, I think it would be proper to mention the original authors in your ending credits.

I suppose it can be somewhat of a hassle to retrieve wherever you found the models and find who made them, but if so possible, do it.

Aside from anything, it's good for someone's ego.

Ofcourse, one should take into notice that I do not create vehicles or mod anything. I'm not artistic enough.

:crazy:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

These general rules are mainly for start.

That's absolutely right.

Just to make it known that some folks here don't like model/parts/skins rip-offage and to ask first out of courtesy.

If ya just do it like that-a lotta problems'll be avoided come release time.

I just read some posts that sounded like people were unclear on the permission thing.

So I stuck this general explanation up here for new people to see so they get the right idea straightaway.

Hope it helps.

Yeh, Auto, I'd like to see more folks building stuff, too. I suppose they gotta learn sometimes by manipulating stuff that already exists-it's just way easier and gives the new guy a feel for the proggy he's using. Prepare for an onslaught of requests for mods. :lol:

New people: Just ask us before releasing stuff we made that you changed-it's just better that way.

Thanks.

D_B
PumaY2K
Fuck Off.

Post by PumaY2K »

Yeah, what he said... :lol:

Seriously, though... what DB said is good enough for me :smile:
PumaY2K out.

@ob
road raged psycho

Post by @ob »

ok cool!

tis is good to know cuz all of my skins are mods at some place...

maaan the thingss i miss when im away :suicide:

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Heh. When I'm being "official", I have to force the accent to go away sometimes...

I figure that mostly the language on this board is English, and most non-english-speaking people who were taught English learned "Proper English". Not the accented slang I usually use-there have been some who didn't understand what I meant when I wrote using the accent I speak with-but when I wrote it in "Proper English", they understood OK.

Kruszchev was good for that- I taught him stuff like "I disremember" and he taught me stuff like "dunno care" :lol: :grin:
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

I'm ok with all of ya said... Alto we have to stay correct and stuff... I don't think it help the Carma communauty to "yell" at the persons that do some "borrowing" of stuff...

Telling someone names don't help us here... I guess that making a polite personal E-mail or the message options that this board provides could help also. Some of the newbies don't know how much we protect our models. And then if after the Email (message) don't understand well, getting public is ok. Though should stay polite... I think that yelling at a newbie that don't know about the stuff just most of the time, making lose us a potential great modeler/skinner.

I hope peeps understand whe I just wrote, sometimes my English is weird
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

Hmm...

Swift summup

1: Skins that are made from scratch are OK to relise (nothing wrong whit skins), skins that are just tone changed or simmiliar, are not OK to relise just like that... ask the origianl creator

2: Parts from models, Dont just steal like that... ask first (dont think im to good at that either :sad: :crazy:)

3: Entire models to use as a base to your own.. ASK the creator, thats damn important... besides if "you" relise the model in the C2 community and its reviled that the creator didnt give you permission or you didnt ask... you might (probably wont) be specialy popular, altho if there is a permission, you should be happy that you relised the "mod" whit permission and you get (hopefully) more poplular

That should be a pretty good sumup
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, SoupaVedge, that pretty much makes sense.

I figured I'd post some guidelines here to try to prevent some of the virtual beheading that goes on sometimes.

Good idea, the email thing first. Or PM.

Kruszchev! How the hell are ya, buddy? Long time no hear from.

I think that if you modify a skin in any way-it becomes your work. But If ya just change the tone a bit, say the lightness or something-it'd just be a lame ripoff and nobody'd want it prolly.

Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Post by Savage-Elve »

May I also complain about people having a skin in their signature, but not made the model, but thus suggesting they made it ?

If not, see the line below the the banner.

Halo: Wheelman
Banned

Post by Halo: Wheelman »

@ob, The Jab Man and other have skins/fave cars in there sigs.... i never have seen any problem with it,

since every one here know's just about every's cars....
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

Hey DB, yeah its been a while sience i posted... mostly cuz i dont get mutch time to surf in the army... damn weird working hours... actualy the worst working hours possible in the SWE army (seriusly they cant be worse)... got promoted from lowest (Menig) to second lowest rank (Korpral) last thursday :cool:
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Congrats, soldier! :rockon:
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Hehe hey Kruszchev, finished the sniper training? Hmm so now that you outrank some people, does that mean they have to answer to you? That would be interesting...
codemonkey
Captain Obvious

Post by codemonkey »

why have we just sudenly gone into sniper training?

TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Then just read the 2 posts above it --- duh
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

WTF... DONT bring OLD threads back (eaven if its a sticky) if you dont have anything to say... this one is more than a year OLD... OK? just dont. please
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

LOL "Captain Obvious" :rofl:
bteddo
pedestrian

Post by bteddo »

Can I request a car? I want a few Ferraris and BMW's and Lambo's. Stuff like that.
@ob
road raged psycho

Post by @ob »

...Wow, do yourself a favor and never do that again.

The general rule is No, you can not request a car.

Also, posting in a two year old topic that was revived 10 months ago by someone who got told not to revive stuff seems like a bad idea.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Nobody will do a request.

There are literally thousands of add-ons already made

like...

Ferrari F40 by TTR

https://ttr.cwaboard.co.uk/c2cars.htm

Mercedes Benz CL600 by Adr

http://tb.polygonized.com/dtd/carma2_cars.shtml

Try looking aroung some Carma Site links

bteddo
pedestrian

Post by bteddo »

Sorry.

The thread title has the word Noobs in it. I am a noob to the Carmageddon community.

Yeesh. I aint good at making the cars, so it's not really my fault.

And how was I supposed to know that the thread was old.

Sorry.
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

What is wrong with requests? Without requests we can hardly see what's hot and what's not. Not that creators much care about it, since they all create whatever they want to, but in the smallest chance of having a release of C4 forthcoming, those creators can see what they should base their cars on. If they are smart (hmm, let's forget about how big the /if/ may be) they sign up here and walk through some editing threads and see what cars are populair and what cars are wanted among the people, they can use that as a guideline of what kind of cars their stuff should be based on, to satisfy a part of the hart within Carmageddon, and that is the community.

Also, I thought this post was placed (AND stickied) for newbies who can post their questions /any/ time in the future. Whether this newbie is a real newbie or some active CWA member under a new account remains to be seen, but that should not effect the freedom of newbies in general to post in this beautiful thread.

You can always disagree with me. If you will survive disagreeing with me, is another thing. :smile:

Edit: Have to agree with Cofeycup though, there are several Ferrari's (Puma, TTR, and another, somebody who made that 360) and BMW's (Puma's M3) and a few Lambo's (Ben Beard's Cala) around here. There is basically not much to request left.
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
The_Bollocks
Ford Man!

Post by The_Bollocks »

And how was I supposed to know that the thread was old.
By looking at the dates the previous posts were added. :oops:
1982 Ford Escort Mk3 1.3 L (restoration project)
1990 Nissan Micra K10 L (my first car, currently in long term storage)
1995 Ford Escort Mk6 1.3 CL (current everyday car)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

meh, I prolly would've done the same thing. Now that you know how it works, welcome bteddo!

Explore some of the links in the above post and you'll find a lot of good stuff.

Check who’s online