Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Movie Contest (?)

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Movie Contest (?)

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Lately, after i finally get to know how to record movies in Carma2 and uploaded some on my site, i had the idea of making a little movie contest, wouldn't that be something?

I'd volunteer to host it and also make a entry.

But before i have to know if there would be enough others to make movies and take part in the contest aswell.

I know there are lots of chaps out there who know how to record and already released good vids, and if newbies wanna join aswell we can open a thread in the help forum with tutorials or hints how to make movies.

So for now i just need some "I'd take part" replies, i would say at least 5.

Carma2 and TDR movies are allowed, but i post the particular rules as soon as i know that there are enough entries to let that contest begin.

So all those little Spielbergs out there, let me hear from u ! :investigate:
TomeX
2xfeet drive

Re: Movie Contest (?)

Post by TomeX »

I'd take part...if I could get the C2 recorder to work :supermad: I have the same problem as mentioned in another post about movie recording. It worked on my pc 2 years ago :crazy:
TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

Why not just use fraps, set your record on/off to shift/F1 that way you click play, hold shit, which hides the player buttons and cursor and hit F1, while holding shift, then just hit F1 again when done, then you dont have the oogly playa buttons mussin it all up.
TomeX
2xfeet drive

Post by TomeX »

Cool...where to get fraps?
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

you click play, hold shit, which hides the player buttons

I dunno if holding shit is the right way to capture a movie :rofl:
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Post by Savage-Elve »

You can press "/" (numpad) to start recording and keypad 5 to play. So you can hold shift to hide the controls wich you don't need.

Don't shoot me, i'm just the piano player.
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

Post by Forsaken Brolly »

id gladly take part. dunno is this is gonna work though, cause i tried it once... :oops:
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Post by autopilot »

what sorta movies are you expecting? Just general havoc/killing compilations etc.. or do you mean actually try to put together some kinda lil film short with some kinda story involved (heh, that would be something! Although sorta difficult)..?
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Hey FB, i saw what you can do with GIF's, try that maybe...thats a bit of a movie too :smile:
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

i think you misunderstood me there TTR. i meant that i've tried a contest like this one, but it just sorta died out
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

:oops: :shock: :supercrazy: my fault lol
D. Capitator
mechanic

Post by D. Capitator »

A movie contest could be cool if someone could tell us all how to add a narrator ! :supermad:
TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

it would appear you dont read very well.

If you are in C2's replay hit shift, notice how the buttons/cursor go away when you hold it?

Im explaining how to record with Fraps, not the crap ass quicktime that comes with it. Wanker.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Jabman, if you record with Fraps too, check if you find the 'RemoteRemove'-download on my site useful for you.
Powdered Toast MAAAN!!
12 Cyl Symphony

Post by Powdered Toast MAAAN!! »

I'm in! I already have loads o' vids ready to go but nowhere to host them? Who the hell is gonna volunteer for that then!?
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Ok let's explain some more things...

I'd thought of kinda movie like i did lately, just a summary of many stunts, crashes, explosions and whatever u like to, it should just have style and be creative.

To give a example of what i mean: It's boring if a car jumps 10 feet, but it's not boring if it jumps over an opponent or cuts a peds head off while jumping.

A story would be something innovative, but -as u said- i got no idea how that should or could be done :crazy:

To Powdered Toast: I'd volunteer to host a vid if it's the entry for the contest and it's not too big.

Speaking of size: I thought of a general limitation of 3 mins and 10 megs. The resolution should be 320x200 at least, but 640x480 is prefered.

The way u record and compress it doesn't matter, as long as it's not a kind of format no normal person uses :wink: .

And to the contest itsself: Yeah, finding judges may be a problem, so i thought rather of opening a thread after the entry deadline and post all links to the movies together with a vote there. With that we could also make some 2. and 3. places by looking at the percentages of every "candidate".

So the guys that'd agree to make a vid yet are:

TomeX*

FB

Powdered_Toast_MAAAN

*if he gets it to work, but i think he'll succeed with the help of the others here

And what's with the other guys posting here like JabMan and autopilot ... u guys are good in making movies, wouldn't u take part???

(And don't let this contest die this time :wink: )
Oblivion
turbo bastard

Post by Oblivion »

I have the same problem as Powdered toast , got a very cool movie but no website... :sad:

I compressed it with winrar from 10 mb to 3.26 mb.

MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Powdered Toast, Oblivion and everyone else who has that problem, I'll host them, but only as soon as they are definitly the movies that are thought as the entries for the contest, so u can wait some time and then u can send em per mail or a messenger program. I'll put em on my site server and post the direct links.

So with Oblivion there are 4 then, where's the rest? :investigate:
CarmaHolik
turbo bastard

Re: Movie Contest (!)

Post by CarmaHolik »

You can count me in as well, MCF. I got tons of replay vids lying around - 'bout time I put 'em to good use!
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Alrighty then, I appreciate your joining CarmaHolik, and now we're 5!

Ok, with that, I know post the exact rules:

-The video mustn't be a certain format or compression

-It may not be any bigger than 10mb or last longer than 3 minutes

-It may contain sound/music

-The resolution shouldn't be less than 320x200

-The content: Stunts, crashes and tricky stuff is prefered, gore is also allowed but it shouldn't be the main thing (try to find a good mixture of everything)

-The use of Power-ups and other "tricks" is allowed, just be creative!

-The movies shall be uploaded and free for everyone to download at the end of May

(as said before, those who don't have a server can send it to me)

(if anyone thinks he needs more time he should contact me before)

-After all the entries are ready, I'm going to post a new thread where every CWA member can download the vids and vote for their favorite

-Two weeks later the current stats will count and I'll gotta give the "Golden Eagle"-award to the winner
Powdered Toast MAAAN!!
12 Cyl Symphony

I'm trying to shrink my movies down now... I think my entry is about 2:50 long. I can't be arsed to make a new one... well, I may yet, but for now I will be submitting "Adrenaline".

[Damn... the smallest I can make it is 13.5mb, that's with windoze medai 9 encoder. Don't even ask about the size divX gave me!!]
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

oh no... the song i wanted to use is 4:06....but, i can make the video in a pertty good format(320x240) at a price of 5-7mbs. i guess i could chop the end of it off, but to sound right, it would have to be 3:17 long. that acceptable?
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Ok guys, it's not that I'm such a strict person...

... the limitations have just been exteneded to 15mb and (about) 4 mins :cool:

(but those who want to let it be hosted on my site should still keep it much lower than that, please!)
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

The first entry, Oblivions', is already available for download:

Oblivions Movie

What about the others? Who's working on it or has even got a finished movie aswell?
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

im working on mine, but WMM2 is being a bitch and won't start up :crazy: any solutions?
Matt Demers
hit n run

Post by Matt Demers »

I got mine ready today. How do I submit it?

And Forsaken, ever think of restarting the computer? :wink:
"These buses suffer from a lot of problems but the biggest one being their existence." - R. Longpre
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

heh. yup, i done that. see, i had WMM1, and it worked fine. then i downloaded and installed WMM2, and now i get that damn "Unspecified error"
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Forsaken Prolly: i dunno what WMM is, so it's hard to give a solution for that... but, only theoretically, what would be the problem of just installing the previous version again?

Matt Demers: Do you have a server/site where you can upload it? If that's the case, you may just give the link to it. If you don't find any place to upload it, you can send it to me like Oblivion did and i host it on my site. But it really shouldn't be much more than 5mb cause i don't want to overheat my uncle's server...
autopilot
Travelling Scrap Heap

Post by autopilot »

Quite a good clip Oblivion! I noticed you happened to land on a couple of cars after some jumps.. as long ive been playing this game such a thing has never happened to me yet?!

Im half-assed working on mine, just recording new stuff as I play, didnt have anything saved before-hand.. quite a lot to go. My clip will likely just be some realistic styled wrecks, I dont go all awol with the 500mph spaceship crashes! :help:
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Ok, I might have a lil go at something myself...

I have a few old stunts recorded, and it wouldn't take long to get some nice smashes in there too

Where do I get this radtools for stitching them together and such?
random_monkey
Evil Blarg
road raged psycho

Post by Evil Blarg »

Funny!

Great choice of music, although maybe a wee bit obvious, but still. My shirt proves it: Can't beat a bit of AC/DC.

Where can I find tutorials on how to make a movie like that? Coz all I get is that 640x480 pixelmonsters on acid when I record some crap. Or if someone might point in the driection of another thread I seem to recall about making good movies.

I'm getting all kinds of ideas!
Forsaken Brolly
Humanoid Typhoon

MCF - Windows Movie Maker

and its Brolly not Prolly :lol:
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

Where do I get this radtools for stitching them together and such?

Here, i found a link where it's explained how to do it and there's also the link to the RAD game tools site: MOV to AVI

(but i prefer divX to the compression he chose in that tutorial)

Plus, what's not mentioned there, if you name all the movie files in constant increasing numbers, e.g. "movie000.mov","movie001.mov","movie002.mov" etc. etc... then you just have to choose the first movie and click "convert a file", and it'll ask if it should treat the sequenzes as one file.

And if you record the movies with Carma2, don't forget to change the line "quicktime banner 1" in the options.txt to "0" at the end.

Forsaken Brolly: Er... *is confused* I'm ... er ... sorry, Forsaken Lolly, or what was your name again? :wink:
Kitteh
Troll

Post by Kitteh »

I have a finished movie, shall i send it your way?
Powdered Toast MAAAN!!
12 Cyl Symphony

Ok. MCF. I have just sent my submission your way, check your mail.

I'll be back later, gotta go to work right now :sad:

Check who’s online