Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

runtime error 70 with installer

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - hey, it's got multiplayer.
gPstr
driver

runtime error 70 with installer

Post by gPstr »

Having played through normally I now thought I might install some addon cars to TDR. I dl'ed a few cars and when I tried to run the installer it came back with a missing dll error. So I dl'ed the system.zip and installed that. The next time that I ran an installer it started up fine, but then it kicked me back out with a runtime error message. Now when I double click the installer it just says "Permission denied, runtime error 70."

Are there VB runtime files that the installer needs? Where would I find them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tactical Police Demolition Unit
Guerrilla Kop

Re: runtime error 70 with installer

Post by Tactical Police Demolition Unit »

Just install the cars manually then.

[ March 10, 2002: Message edited by: Tactical Police Demolition Unit ]
gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Which means what? Add the necessary lines to the car_descriptor.txt? If so does it matter where? Are they just tacked onto the end? Is there anything else that needs to be done?

Maybe I should've said that all useful help would be appreciated....
gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Nope, that's not it. I just edited in the appropriate lines for MadCat and when I tried to start the game it showed an error for the Car_Descriptor.txt. When I deleted those lines it ran fine. So obviously that's not it.

?????
PoisonLizard
hit n run

Post by PoisonLizard »

Do you have the patches installed? After the patches or Nosebleed pack you just have to unzip the files into a folder in the car directory (named the same as the car). Better yet, check the FAQ at dtd.

http://dtd.niteshade.net/tdr2000_carguide.shtml
gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. I haven't yet invested the time in dl'ing 28 megs of patch.

All right, I guess I'll have to do that tonight.

Thanks for the useful help.
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

Looks like you'll only need the US mini patch, you wont need the 28Mb ones.
gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Yeah, that was it. With the patches installed the cars just show up.

So this brings up a question. When I first dl'ed some addon cars I had a vague idea of what to do with them, and I was sure I could figure out the rest. Being a reasonably intelligent and experienced gamer I opened up the first .zip that I dl'ed and found that there was no path defined, but I hunted around and figured out that the car had to be in a folder with the same name as the name in the .txt file. I created said folder, extracted the car to it, started up the game and no car. So I went back out and opened the folder and discovered that it had a file in it called "installer" something or another. "Aha," I think, "there must be something else that has to be done, and this installer must do it." Of course that didn't work either. Now with the patches installed the cars just show up, so my question is, what is the installer and what's it for? Is it an extractor?

No, doesn't seem to be. I just opened another car and tried to run the installer out of WinZip but it came up as an invalid archive. So it must run after it's extracted, but why? It doesn't seem necessary. Am I missing something?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the patches. Time to go play....
CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

there are like 3 txt files you need to edit to get cars to work manually. If you edit the 3 files out of order weird things happen, so if you added your car to the last line in the car_descriptor.txt file the same cars data must be added to the last line of the other files )get it ?)

you figured the car part out, but forgot to keep digging til you found the strings.

Car_Strings_US.txt (under the strings folder)

and

Car_Strings_USzombie.txt (in same folder, but different file)

If you are using the UK version it will be the UK strings.

this gets added to the string files -

CAR

DISPLAY_NAME "Eagle MK4"

DESCRIPTION

"Top Speed: 186mph

Kerb weight: 1.5 tons

0-60mph: 3.4 seconds

The Eagle's back and it rocks"

DRIVER_NAME "Max Damage"

DRIVER_SHORT_NAME "Max"

END

and this gets added to the Car_Descriptor.txt -

CAR

NAME "Eagle4"

DESCRIPTOR "eagle4descriptor.txt"

STRENGTH 100

COST 50 // in thousands!

TYPE 0 // 0 = eagle, 1 = normal, 2 = novelty

DRIVER_TYPE 0 // MALE_NORMAL = 0, FEMALE_NORMAL = 1, MALE_COP = 2, FEMALE_COP = 3, MALE_GANG = 4, FEMALE_GANG = 5

END

hope this helps

CADster
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

all of the cars on LOD are currently set up for the nosebleed patch, upgrade... you should just have to make a folder in the assets/cars folder named the same thing as the car... conveniently, you could extract the files to a folder named what the zip file is, and it should work... as long as you have the upgrade patch...

also.... if you changed the location of TDR since trying to install cars, delete the file at c:\TDR Car install.ini and restart the installer.... your error may be caused by it not finding a folder for tdr....

no matter what... you have to have the upgrade patch to play these cars....
gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Hmmm... more questions:

With the patches installed the cars just show up. They still aren't listed in any of the .txt files, so I would have to assume that part of what the patches did was to tell the program to just check the assets/cars folder and to ignore the car_descriptor.txt file. The curious thing is that the cars show up ingame immediately. I didn't have to buy any of them; they're just there. It's as if they're listed as "type 0," but that doesn't make any sense. They're not listed in the car_descriptor.txt at all, so the program must refer to the individual carname.txt files for the necessary info, but they're all set to "type 1" (or sometimes 2) in those.

So..., does the Carmainstallv2.exe put the appropriate text into the appropriate files? It still won't work for me; I get the same "runtime error '70'" message. Is that a reference to Visual Basic? Are there VB runtime files that the installer needs? If I can get the addon cars listed in the appropriate .txt files will they behave normally (that is, only belong to me if I've bought them)?

I s'pose what I'll do is to run the system.exe again just for the sake of it, try an installer again and if necessary copy and paste a car into the .txt files (thanks CADster for the heads up on the string files). I guess we'll see what happens...
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

Ignore that Carmainstallv2.exe, it's useless, just unzip the car into the apropriate folder in /ASSETS/Cars and it will work.
Tactical Police Demolition Unit
Guerrilla Kop

Post by Tactical Police Demolition Unit »

Ignore "Car_Descriptor.txt" as-well, if you don't add this, your cars will automatically show up in your list.
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

Heh... course that CarmaInstallV2 program was originally made so I could keep a seperate folder of cars away from the TDR folder, they are correct, it isnt nessecary, but if you just unzip the thing to a folder, doubleclick on the installer, it makes a folder in your tdr directory, and copys everything there... That way you don't have to go searching for tdr but the first time you run the installer.... convenience, nothing more.....
CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

Tactical Police Demolition Unit:

Ignore "Car_Descriptor.txt" as-well, if you don't add this, your cars will automatically show up in your list.
you can only ignore these files if your running the updated game. If your running the orginal unpatched game all 3 files must be updated (onlt witht he patch will it update automatically)

CADster
gPstr
driver

Post by gPstr »

Thanks all for the info. I have the patch, but I haven't installed any more cars since I got it. I spent part of last night editing in the 12 cars I had already installed, and as I had suspected that took them out of my list when I restarted a game.

Apparently the patched program does indeed recognize the cars solely from their presence in the assets\cars folder and defaults them to type 0 unless the .txt files tell it otherwise. Odd....

Guess I'll haveta dl another car or two or five and see. If it does automatically update the .txt files that'll save me that work. Course I would have to assume that that would mean that if I wanted to remove a car I'd have to delete the appropriate entries in the .txt files but at least, like in all things, destroying is much easier than creating. I guess that's something.

Check who’s online