Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma gets Hard boiled

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Carma gets Hard boiled

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Took some time to test the content of NEWPOL.RAR (the one you uploaded on 21 jan at 4:15PM).

First some basic things: if you want people to test your stuff, post pictures, detail what is inside the archive and release individual archives (as in: one zip per car).
Additionally, mods that replace existing files should be released with enough warning about the files that get overwritten. In this case your APC+BIGAPC mod could be its own archive with overwritten files detailed in the Readme and suggestion to backup the original files.

- As the opponent code chunks are the same, there's no need to include the APC and BIGAPC ones in the Readme.
- For some reason, IVAN.TXT and SCREWIE.TXT are also included. I didn't pay attention and thus these overwrote my files.
- EASTWOOD is also included? Minus the opponent code chunk.
- We're not too sure about this but we think it might be counterproductive to set all car numbers to 00. Best set them to different numbers until we completely figure out how they're used by the game.
- The archive is missing TKMUG.FLI and HBTANK.TXT (couldn't test this one at all).
- With Carma95, BIGAPC makes the game crash, groovyfunkrefs 11 and 12 must be set to -1. And some lines before, 13 and 14 must be removed and the number of steerable wheels set to 2 instead of 4.
- I noticed TAXI has no turning front wheels, if you did that on purpose to avoid the wheels going through the fenders, then it's nice :)

Pics:
BIGAPC

APC

CADDI

FLYBY

cute little TAXI
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Took some time to test the content of NEWPOL.RAR (the one you uploaded on 21 jan at 4:15PM).

First some basic things: if you want people to test your stuff, post pictures, detail what is inside the archive and release individual archives (as in: one zip per car).
Additionally, mods that replace existing files should be released with enough warning about the files that get overwritten. In this case your APC+BIGAPC mod could be its own archive with overwritten files detailed in the Readme and suggestion to backup the original files.

- As the opponent code chunks are the same, there's no need to include the APC and BIGAPC ones in the Readme.
- For some reason, IVAN.TXT and SCREWIE.TXT are also included. I didn't pay attention and thus these overwrote my files.
- EASTWOOD is also included? Minus the opponent code chunk.
- We're not too sure about this but we think it might be counterproductive to set all car numbers to 00. Best set them to different numbers until we completely figure out how they're used by the game.
- The archive is missing TKMUG.FLI and HBTANK.TXT (couldn't test this one at all).
- With Carma95, BIGAPC makes the game crash, groovyfunkrefs 11 and 12 must be set to -1. And some lines before, 13 and 14 must be removed and the number of steerable wheels set to 2 instead of 4.
- I noticed TAXI has no turning front wheels, if you did that on purpose to avoid the wheels going through the fenders, then it's nice :)
I knew i should have done that, though i'm not very good at it. Thats why i usually leave it out.
When making the archive i thought putting all of these in one was a safe idea (like the 7 Broom! vehicles)

-That has gone unnoticed, changed that now.
-Ivan and Screwie.txt have been included because of a sound effect change, nothing special
-The eastwood is included because all vehicles (except the APC's) are based on Hard boiled vehicles.
-I never encounterd a problem with that, always put it on 00 by default
-TNK files have been added now.
-Guess the DOS version works a bit different. I've changed it now though the groovyfunkrefs still confuse me
-That is on purpose.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Here is the new version of NEWPOL

It includes

-Above mentioned vehicles plus the eastwood and four new ones
-New sound effects
-Cars.txt files for different sound effects for IVAN, SCREWIE & FAUST

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/NEWPOL.rar

(Warning, make backups of your original files before installing these)
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Wreck it:

:twisted:
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

I actully thought that Wreck would have been one of the least likeable cars :eek: .

Three racers from an old playstation game join the carnage.

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/RenegadeRacers.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You like them old PS1 racers uh? :swheel:
screenshots:
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

I sure do :thumbsup: .

What do you think of these three?
I actully hesitated to release them, i felt that they where a bit lame.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

They sure are geometrically simple. You reproduce PS1 game cars and apply ripped textures back onto them if I understood properly. You have your own approach to it while you're still learning CarEd etc. and I think it works nicely. Seems to me like you're bringing in more mesh detail lately (like that hifi setup on one of the latest cars). So yeah keep it up, also the most important part is you having fun when doing this.

BTW you usually post screenshots while in lowres mode, and I do think it makes more sense considering the overal mesh/texture detail. Akin to how the PS1 also usually used lower resolution for 3D games. Hires screenshots like I did might be a little unfair.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

That is correct, though it was quite hard to apply textures in their original format (stretching or shrinking is necessary sometimes). I'am indeed slowly working on vehicles with more details (visible seats and steering wheels when textures are available) . There is alot to explore in cared, fun is indeed the right word :grin: .

It might be a bit more fair to post vehicles like this in lowres screenshots, but i guess it depends on how a person plays carmageddon.

Edit: Two new vehicles, one test car and a truck i've been wanting to recreate for carmageddon.

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/DerSchatten.rar (<---Also includes a new wav.file for the cattle)
https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/Dogbite.rar

Thanks to Toshiba for showing me how to remove the alpha channel from textures.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Tested the vehicles:
Dogbite works right away. No driver which is too bad. I would have mapped the front grill from the front rather than from the top. Reminder that you should subdivide the mesh a tad more to avoid perspective distording textures.

Both trucks however wouldn't work at all. First off the TXT files are encrypted, not a good idea to release the addon like that even though the game can load encrypted files. You left unused groovyfunkrefs: 11,12,13,14. I know the DOS executable doesn't care, but Carma95 crashes upon that. But that wasn't enough, the angular momentum proportions were too wrong (I set them to 0.5, 0.5, 2.2 - Y value might be too high) and bbox min-Y a bit too high, set it to 0.064 (maybe too low now). Still not good!! Then I noticed you used commas instead of dots in several values in the Mechanics part at the end of the text file (for both trucks), so the values for a bit everything after the bbox were off. Then it worked...
HONK.WAV would overwrite the default horn, luckily I never install the sound mods.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Tested the vehicles:
Dogbite works right away. No driver which is too bad. I would have mapped the front grill from the front rather than from the top. Reminder that you should subdivide the mesh a tad more to avoid perspective distording textures.
There are no driver textures from the game these textures are from, all cars are driverless :crazy: (On the PC version there are driver models, but i have no idea how to get textures from the pc version). . I do not know what to do with driver models for these cars. The idea was for me to make a few more updates to dogbite, so i'll try to remember.

Both trucks however wouldn't work at all. First off the TXT files are encrypted, not a good idea to release the addon like that even though the game can load encrypted files. You left unused groovyfunkrefs: 11,12,13,14. I know the DOS executable doesn't care, but Carma95 crashes upon that. But that wasn't enough, the angular momentum proportions were too wrong (I set them to 0.5, 0.5, 2.2 - Y value might be too high) and bbox min-Y a bit too high, set it to 0.064 (maybe too low now). Still not good!! Then I noticed you used commas instead of dots in several values in the Mechanics part at the end of the text file (for both trucks), so the values for a bit everything after the bbox were off. Then it worked...
HONK.WAV would overwrite the default horn, luckily I never install the sound mods.
Encrypted? That is totally on accident, never noticed that. Because they work like normal here, i did not notice the groovyfunkrefs and the Y, X, Z Axis being off. I cannot really check it as i do not know how do decrypt these without killing my copy of the game again.

As in the other topic, i tried Deep_Blue's motorcycle and i accidentally encrypted every txt file. I'm missing a few car files for some other vehicles also because Carmagedit gives an error right at the start of the txt file reader .
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You can try to decrypt the text files with CarmagEdit. Just double check that it doesn't mess. It may leave lines starting with @ here and there, just remove them.

As I said in the other topic, zip up the whole install or stuff you me to try decrypting and I'll give it a look.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:16 pm You can try to decrypt the text files with CarmagEdit. Just double check that it doesn't mess. It may leave lines starting with @ here and there, just remove them.

As I said in the other topic, zip up the whole install or stuff you me to try decrypting and I'll give it a look.
Tried decrypting the files with carmagedit, but it shows an error.

I found the decrypted files for the truck though (somewhere on a deserted island).
What extactly do you want me to change within the groovyfunkrefs?
If i change the angular momentum proportions to 0.5, 0.5, 2.2, the truck slides all over the place.
Not to be rude, but where exactly are these commas in the mechanics :help: ?(i cannot find any misplaced ones)

Here is some stuff i cannot decrypt
https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/Cars.TXT.rar

EDIT
Dogbite Version 2
https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/Dogbite.rar
https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/Ericar.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: [CARMA1] Carma gets Hard boiled

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Quickly tested the Ericar and it works. The Dogbite one looks much better like this :sbsmile:

If there are groovyfunkrefs listed that aren't used in the GROOVES, they must be replaced by -1. I understand it's not easy for you to check as you don't use CARMA95 iirc.
I wanted to point out where the commas where but couldn't find them in the original files..! My guess is that CarmagEdit screwed the file when I used it to edit the files.

I attach decrypted text files to this message, I had a quick glance and they seemed fine.
Attachments
D.zip
(11.62 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 am Quickly tested the Ericar and it works. The Dogbite one looks much better like this :sbsmile:

If there are groovyfunkrefs listed that aren't used in the GROOVES, they must be replaced by -1. I understand it's not easy for you to check as you don't use CARMA95 iirc.
I wanted to point out where the commas where but couldn't find them in the original files..! My guess is that CarmagEdit screwed the file when I used it to edit the files.

I attach decrypted text files to this message, I had a quick glance and they seemed fine.
Kinda hard getting used to the new cwa board :crazy: :smile: .
Thanks for taking a look at those, its appreciated.

The european police joins the carnage.

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/EuropePolicePart1.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The french policeman's face cracks me up
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

French Police is based!

70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:19 pm The french policeman's face cracks me up
I looked up some facts of certain countrys and try to use them for these police cars
(E.g. About 600.00 Frenchmen do not have a drivers license and they have about 35.000 Mayors)
Thats why i choose this face texture :grin:
Mastro 666 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:35 pm French Police is based!

:swheel:

BTW
I got a small problem.
I made a car that upon selecting it, the game just stops working and the dos screen just fades.

As an opponent, the error says (FATAL ERROR: Can't load car resolution-independant file).
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

About that error, double check that the car text file filename matches the one specified for that car in OPPONENT.TXT, that the car text file isn't corrupted somehow, that the first line in the car text file is its own filename (properly spelled as well).
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:16 pm About that error, double check that the car text file filename matches the one specified for that car in OPPONENT.TXT, that the car text file isn't corrupted somehow, that the first line in the car text file is its own filename (properly spelled as well).
It was indeed a typo, sorry :crazy: .
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Today, i bring you a modified 2CV

Before
After

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/InstantCarma.rar
Last edited by 70's Viking on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Very niceeeee :saston: :saston:
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Nice video, to bad there is no sound though.

Got a question, is someone interested in these?
If so, i'll release them (when finished ofcourse)
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

They look great. Consider me interested!
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

The more, the merrier! I'd love to try them out.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Well that settles it, i'll do my best to finish them before the end of December.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

I had some spare time to complete the first set of cars to have worked on (Twenty seventeen i think).
So here they are, mad as anything.

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/TheCarsThatAteParis.rar
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

I actully wanted to release this in a package, but decided to release it as a stand alone for now.

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/EricarMKII.rar

Also updated InstantCarma
https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/InstantCarma.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey Joker (did you go and see the movie?), quickly tested your new cars, they all go ingame. That "ate paris" set is quite nice. A few things:
-They all use SAWMUG.FLI for the mug file, this mean they might crash in vanilla C1 (non-SP, non-Meld) as it is file unique to Splat Pack;
-Most of you cars (all? didn't check) have wrong wheel coords in the mechanics part. You just have to copy the coords from the wheel grooves in that section. That's why the wheels of your longest cars sink into the ground;
-One missing wheel for one of the 'Ate Paris' car (might be normal, I'm not familiar enough with the movie);
-SPITFIRE doesn't load the proper MAT file for the hires mode (check the TXT file: CED.MAT instead of SPIT.MAT), you didn't notice as you play in lowres mode.

70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 pm Hey Joker (did you go and see the movie?), quickly tested your new cars, they all go ingame. That "ate paris" set is quite nice. A few things:
-They all use SAWMUG.FLI for the mug file, this mean they might crash in vanilla C1 (non-SP, non-Meld) as it is file unique to Splat Pack;
-Most of you cars (all? didn't check) have wrong wheel coords in the mechanics part. You just have to copy the coords from the wheel grooves in that section. That's why the wheels of your longest cars sink into the ground;
-One missing wheel for one of the 'Ate Paris' car (might be normal, I'm not familiar enough with the movie);
-SPITFIRE doesn't load the proper MAT file for the hires mode (check the TXT file: CED.MAT instead of SPIT.MAT), you didn't notice as you play in lowres mode.
Hello
Edit : I get it now, sorry.
No i have not seen the movie yet, i want to though.

-I included a SAWMUG.FLI made specifically for these cars, i think SAWBOMUG is the one you mean.
-I do not understand exactly what you mean on this one.
-I do not know what happend there, one quick look at the txt file for that car shows to me that all seems fine .
-Indeed missed that, fixed.

Another randompack

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/RandomPack2.rar

Btw what is the better thing to do?
Releasing a small package (Two vehicles) or a big package (Thirty vehicles)
Also, does anyone know how to open iff texture files?
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Awesome pack Joker.
But Trevor´s Truck has 2 things, some times all the wheels stop moving even the truck is runing, and sometimes they enter a little bit into the ground.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

WadeSullivan wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:19 am Awesome pack Joker.
But Trevor´s Truck has 2 things, some times all the wheels stop moving even the truck is runing, and sometimes they enter a little bit into the ground.
Altered and fixed :grin:

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/RandomPack2.rar

Also got a small sound mod for anyone interested?

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/SoundMod.rar
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Yeah Thanks Joker :swheel: :swheel:
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Here comes Europe police part zwei

https://joker.cwaboard.co.uk/EuropePolicePart2.rar