Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Tosh's C1 car releases

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
QTZ
hit n run

Re: Tosh's car releases

Post by QTZ »

I think it look too much decorated, also the bottom part of "roof" it's rather not for cars. This too much look like made from parts of the town...

About pixelmaps I think we should move to pixelmap topic https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9348 . Also I think the problem is in the jpeg compression - always save the file in bmp format (or for example in png for storage / presentation purpose).
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The Big Dump is basically a building on wheel so it's ok :yingyang:

It's done! The car FLI file is as big as the Big Dump :swink:

-> ROD VIBRATION 3000
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Downloaded, tested and approved!!!!

Tosh is hard to make a tutorial to create or import cars from carma 2 to carma 1?
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Great work! :rockon:

QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Vlad on the sky? :eek: The say that Vikings probably was able to fly :wink:
It's great to "see you" Mastro :smile:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Would have been a waste not to release it :sbsmile:
Comes with a custom crush data too but it generates the goddamn error upon exiting the race. Tried to avoid it but to no avail. Up to you to use it or not.
Reminder that the DOS version doesn't mind these crush datas, or that a modified Carma95 that doesn't crash exists here.

Download is this way: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#cars
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Pretty good. This may sound really off the wall, but listen to me. You've got to believe me. I've not gone crazy, and I'm not fooling around. At first I thought I was losing my mind. But now I know I'm not. It's not me. This whole town. It's being invaded by the Otherworld. A world of someone's nightmarish delusions come to life. Little by little the invasion is spreading. Trying to swallow up everything in darkness.

70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Image

Would have been a waste not to release it :sbsmile:
Comes with a custom crush data too but it generates the goddamn error upon exiting the race. Tried to avoid it but to no avail. Up to you to use it or not.
Reminder that the DOS version doesn't mind these crush datas, or that a modified Carma95 that doesn't crash exists here.

Download is this way: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#cars
Good thing i'm only using the DOS version.

Great work as always Tosh.

Mastro 666 wrote: Image

Is that Cyburbia :eek: ?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Almost deleted the folder with these then finally decided against it and finished them. Took way more time than I thought... Most of the menu pics are screwed thanks to C1's awesome menu palette :sdead:

FYI, these models were made by DelkoDuck for the Turbo Run alpha. That project evolved into Drift Stage.

At RR2000.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Congrats! :beer:

hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Almost deleted the folder with these then finally decided against it and finished them. Took way more time than I thought... Most of the menu pics are screwed thanks to C1's awesome menu palette :sdead:

FYI, these models were made by DelkoDuck for the Turbo Run alpha. That project evolved into Drift Stage.

At RR2000.
ha-ha, pantera, countach, lotus, testarossa - fkn brilliant :beer:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Subaru Cusco Subaru Impreza GT (JGTC) '99
from Gran Turismo 2
for Carmageddon 1 yay

For once I spent more time on the physics side than anything else. This convinced me the game engine could have powered realistic racing sims back then.
The model and texture are superb, really top notch work from Polyphony Digital. I also spend quite some time trying to emulate some kind of fake reflections on the car as can be seen in GT2. In the end, I just kept it on the windows as covering the whole shell made for a model which crush data crashed the race upon exiting (the usual error - I think there's a polycount limit for models to have a crush data).
Learned that several diferent funks can be added on the same material like so:

Code: Select all

S\50RENV.MAT
	constant
	rock
		absolute	// mode
		11			// GroovyFunkRef
		angle doesn't matter in this case
		50,-50		// x,y center
	no lighting thank you
	flic
		accurate
		S2CIRENV.FLI

NEXT FUNK

S\50RENV.MAT	// whoa! we can add other funks on the same material!
	constant
	slither
		harmonic
	no lighting thank you
	not this time
Really too bad there's no way to enable the color blending for car materials :/ I read in the BRender docs that there's a flag to enable the use of such a blend table but no tools seemed to allow that (not even PT1).

So yeah, for once this has a more realistic (I hope) handling which I found quite fun to race around. The car is fast but much weaker though. Steering wheel is on the right by the way :)

It's at Road Reaction.

[edit] Just updated the archive with a semi-transparent reflection. It loses the dithering effect but being semi-transparent makes it less in-your-face.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Toshiba makes the best mods, everybody loves Toshiba. Thank you, Toshiba! :thumbsup:
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Sweet mod man. Where did you get the model? I remember trying all kinds of things with the material flags, but could not find anything hidden back then. Perhaps it can still be done with some hex editing... nice find for the funks by the way!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Razor pointed me to some programs to extract then view the content directly from the GT2 disks. Very impressive models and textures!

Also I figured out how to enable the use of a blendtable for a given car material, but some conflict against the level materials seems to occur (don't mind the redish backdrops):
It seems like the semitransparent material must absolutely have an opaque (but maybe semitransparent) non-level material behind it to be displayed properly (if that makes sense). I'll investigate further this week. I'm also trying to hijack the fogtable and see how else the blendtables can be used.
If you want to check, I've updated the Impreza with such a semitransparent material (S2CIRENV.MAT) as the reflection is always drawn against the main texture anyway (it was the idea in the first place).

Basically you just tell the material to also load a BLENDTABLE (type 1Eh). SHADETABLE is 1Fh and COLOURMAP (the texture) 1Ch. I tried to load a FOGTABLE via a hypothetical 1Dh but to no avail. I see that the executable references index_fog along index_shade and index_blend but I don't know if it really expects to use it elsewhere than via the hardcoded dark/fog depthcue modes. AFAIK acidfog.tab (yellow) and bluegit.tab (blue) aren't used.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Thanks for the info. Still travelling though, so in about 3 weeks I'll be able to have a look also... :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Forgot to release last month the driveable dronecar I setup for this tweet:

It's at RR2000.
Really nothing special. I'm just glad I've been able to set it up without altering the original DAT MAT and PIX files. Also interesting (but actually not surprising) how it's also possible to load resources from other folders like this:

Code: Select all

1										// Number of pixelmap files for this car [lomem]
	..\REG\PIXELMAP\DC2.PIX
1										// Number of pixelmap files for this car [320*200]
	..\REG\PIXELMAP\DC2.PIX
1										// Number of pixelmap files for this car [hires/glide]
	..\REG\PIXELMAP\DC2.PIX
0										// Number of shadetable files for this car
1										// Number of material files for this car [lomem]
	..\REG\MATERIAL\DC2.MAT
1										// Number of material files for this car [320*200]
	..\REG\MATERIAL\DC2.MAT
1										// Number of material files for this car [hires/glide]
	..\REG\MATERIAL\DC2.MAT
1										// Number of model files for this car
	..\REG\MODELS\&37DC2.DAT
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

EDWARD CARNBY from Alone in the Dark 1
-> https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#cars

When I remembered the intro had a vehicle, I had to put it in C1 with Edward behind the wheel. I used AITD Room viewer to display the models and Intel GPA to capture them.

The main hurdle was to translate the colors from AITD to C1... The models use flat colors save for a handful of triangles. For example, AITD has nice shades of blueish greens, and C1 doesn't :spissd: I think I didn't do too bad at keeping the overal aesthetic.
The way I mapped the models is plain planar, just moved some vertices to map the textured triangles properly, but still without splitting any vertex. This is great because it kept the vertex count low and the model doesn't crack open when deformed ingame.
I tried to keep resources low, spheres and wheels are instanced (even for the bonnet and simple models), colors are just untextured materials. But an interesting trick this time is how I set three gradients up using different portions of the same pixelmap. Thanks to PlayThing1, I could change the material matrix to make the first material use only the top half of the pixelmap, the second the bottom half, and the third the whole (matrix unchanged). I think it's possible to go much further with this technique.

But wait, this car uses 30+ color materials and C1 doesn't like that! "How did you do that?" you ask. Well I split the colors into a second MAT file which I put into REG\MATERIAL. "B-But that's cheating!" ...indeed, I answer, and we'll leave it at that :ssmile:

The car is quite slow ofcourse without APO. Its physics setup makes it the wild ride at max APO though :slol:

Edit: a little teaser:
[youtube]IJ9_QmviOtQ[/youtube]
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Still at it strong huh? Respect :cool:

So when a model has multiple map vertices around a single mesh vertex the model will split when deforming? That's odd, as I believe some of the original cars have this as well and they never seemed to split like that.

Perhaps in the deformation algorithm this can be added, because it should not be too hard to compare vertex positions and add them to the influence ranges when they are in the same world space.

I like the car handling in the movie. Seems like the car has proper weight, something I miss in a lot of custom cars. :thumbsup:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes, still at it very strong :swheel: Currently on a bigger project for C1 (which put aside the 1920s one, but I'll come back to it as soon as I'm done).

Errol did tweak the algorithm used by CrushIt to make it "weld" very close vertices. Either it doesn't work, or then the ingame deformation works differently. However I'm pretty sure this beheaviour happens with the original unmodified C1 cars too. But maybe to a lesser extent. Smoothing groups might have a say in this too.

I played a lot with the physics while working on the Subaru Impreza, so I got more confidence to customize the car setup myself instead of copy-pasting the setups of the original cars. Most C1/C2 addon cars were plagued by that "uninspired" physics setup, which made all the cars stupidly overpowered (the original cars are to blame as well!) and thus it felt kinda off to dare to make a car slower and heavier heh
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Vroom vroom, friendoes.
SK-666.PNG
SK-666.PNG (81.99 KiB) Viewed 12384 times
I'm done with that Skeleton Biker +sidecar from Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, you can grab it at RR2000 alright.

I must say I find it to be quite neat :grin: The front suspension, while not perfect, moves nicely. I did a tricky trick with a shear groove with an angle. The whole fork, driver and its arms are a bit animated too. I wanted to animate each part (upper arm, lower arm, hand) individually but you can't use more that 6 groovyfunkrefs for steering :(

Errol had also explained how the shear and throb grooves can use more than 1 groovyfunkref in their vector3 (the 0,0,0 kind of coordinate where you usually put the groovyfunkref in the middle). And indeed the effect evolves but it is a bit difficult to wrap your head around the way it moves then. In the end I didn't make use of more than one GFR.

I applied a shade table on the skeleton (for science). I didn't test it in Glide mode now that I think about it.

You can see a couple of video clips with the vehicle on jelly suspension and saying hello here: https://imgur.com/a/pZdpDU2
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

sick :beer: a must in c1)
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Loved XD funny as hell
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hah, looks like it was a fun project to work on. I like the rotating heads and the front wheel spring. :cool:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Mashups are released!
Image Image

Brute Coupe and F132

Brute is inspired by FatCat's Brute Coupe concept, and recreated by merging ChromeGod, Twister, Bugutti, Roadhog and Semi.
F132 is the F1 thing from CarmaPSX with my C1 port of Coupe de Grace.
Was too lazy to do unique grid icons and cockpits so I took ChromeGod's and CoupedeGrace's :beer: :beer: :beer:

Thanks for reading.

>>>>>>>> https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#cars
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Added TDR's White Trash. It was started by Zero X. Diamond and he also made the menu pics.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@hazardic: yeah the windows are opaque (hidden in cockpit view ofcourse).

TANKA + TRAILER

Been meaning to do this since 2014. It's Tanka restored with its original trailer (the model is amongst the C1 files). I textured it according to what was visible in the poser artwork.
The setup is quite complex: two throb/shear grooves to let the front truck lean downward and upward a bit, and a couple of rock grooves that slow eachother to reduce the angle of the front when steering. All wheels are setup ofcourse, by the way there is an additional couple of wheel identifiers that can be used: IFLWHEEL.ACT and IFRWHEEL.ACT. Using those ensures that they will also 'wobble' when damaged. Last bit about the grooves is that using a flat single triangle as a dummy is not a good idea: when used with a shear groove (it doesn't work on an empty dummy), the whole hierarchy disappears. Using a little cube is the way to go.

The big deal with this release is how it hijacks the bonnet model to enable crush data on a second model which is also shared with the complex model, that means that both the truck and the trailer can deform! I'm fairly certain it is also possible to hijack the simple model like this to have a third crushable model for the main complex scene. Other bit of info kinda related: the bounding box is calculated again after the first big impact according to the main model's bounds (and thus only uses the bbox set in the text file when intact).

Download there: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#cars
I hope I didn't forget any file

Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

You've done a bloody good job on this, mate. Nice one! :twisted:
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Nice work Tosh.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for testin'! And sorry, as usual no custom hud/cockpit for lowres :oops:

I updated the archive for TANKA with top speed inreased from 90 to 100 and acceleration from 1.0 to 1.5.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

EFURY_C1.PNG
EFURY_C1.PNG (86.6 KiB) Viewed 8092 times
This is the Eagle easter egg from Ion Fury. Mastro had started on a port back in august 2019 and I picked up from there. While Mastro was working on making it a rather feature complete C1 car, I thought trying to keep it as faithful as possible to the original BSP brushes it was made of was more interesting. Somehow that's what made it so fascinating to me, they had build an Eagle with brushes :slol:

So I just cleaned the model a bit, kept the flat wheel textures, and as many texture details as possible via the trick explained below.

Swapping the wheel textures (from still to in-movement) upon acceleration was the most difficult really and what delayed this release for so long. I tried a lot of tricks, but ultimately came back to one of my first ideas: planes that intersect (on the x axis) as they move along the rear suspensions. Not perfect but good enough for me. See the nice setup to get that working:
unknown.png
unknown.png (17.27 KiB) Viewed 8092 times
Now to keep the texture details from the great work of Aleksander Kowalczyk (Cage), I decided to translate the needed gradients from the Ion Fury palette to new gradients made with the C1 palette (esp. a 19-color red gradient). I selected ranges in the palette to assign to the original texture gradients, then used a custom shade table to transform these ranges into the new gradients. I used a four-story shadetab to enable shading and help define the geometry of the model as the top of it would have been kinda plain with its sole texture (shading is applied in the original game). I guess a picture will be more useful:
Sans titre-1.png
Sans titre-1.png (249.92 KiB) Viewed 8092 times
Anyway, you can download it at Road Reaction:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#cars
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

This is quite an exquisite brick car
Mastro 666
motorised death