Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Operation Silent Sedans: A Carma 1 Non-Car Modding Adventure

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Operation Silent Sedans: A Carma 1 Non-Car Modding Adventure

Post by LinksofSphynx »

I've read and watched all of the tutorials for making Carma 1 vehicles that I know exist, but none cover this specific idea. I'm attempting to make a background vehicle from the Old Silent Hill level into a playable car.

The vehicle((s) - if I become productive) are thus:

I thought cutting the vehicles out of the level and patching up whatever holes there may be would be easy, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I started by opening the level's DAT file (silent.dat) in CarEd. Though it loaded slowly, this worked fine. I was able to navigate the level in the object viewer pane and locate the sedan in the first picture. It's split between two "tiles" as it were, but I assumed this wouldn't be much of a problem. The current issue I'm having is that I cannot isolate these two areas in any way (3 5 and 3 6, if anyone wants to mess with them). I started by trying to delete every object in the level besides 3 5 and 3 6, but this has lead to consistent Java crashes. My next idea was to export each object, then import them on their own. When I try this, I get no feedback at all. The objects don't load and the text window which states what CarEd is doing doesn't add any entries. I'm a bit stumped. I have a few ideas as to what the problem might be, but nothing concrete. Any modding veterans have an idea?
Last edited by LinksofSphynx on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Operation Silent Sedans: A Carma 1 Non-Car Modding Adven

Post by Toshiba-3 »

(Hello and welcome :swink: )

Ah the level is preprocessed so it's not easy to work on it with something like CarEd. The best way to go about this would be to import the level in 3dsMax with Harmalarm's CarmaTools. Or then load what you have in Plaything2 as it's possible (albeit tedious) to select and detach triangles/parts.
Can't sadly help you with CarEd issues.

I can isolate both cars for you, or if you're attached to try and do it yourself, maybe I can try recording a video of the process? (I try my hand at that lately) Would be in Plaything2, or 3dsMax 2012+ if you have it too.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

I appreciate the welcome, Tosh. You have successfully made me feel accepted.

I also appreciate the feedback on CarEd. I was getting sick of the thing, anyway. I'm tempted to ask you to cut out the two cars for me, but the last thing this community needs is a deadbeat modder who gets others to do work for them. The video sounds fantastic, however. I did indeed get Plaything 2 running finally after Windows tried to convince me it was evil and should be shunned.

I'm a bit too green to get the school bus working, Mastro, but I'm glad to see this concept was tested once or twice before.

Also, though this is unrelated, what are some suggestions for free image editing software that can export BMPs in Carma's palette? I've tried the ever-hated Paint as well as GIMP, but Carmageddit doesn't load either of their BMPs properly. I'm of course aware of the means I could use to acquire Photoshop, but I'd prefer stay away from it.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Caragedit Platinum (Go ahead and click on the link to download the file)

LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Thanks, Mastro. Worked perfectly.

Also thanks for the old version of Paint. Now the line tool's actually useful again.

Ok, I'm already having my first problems with Plaything 2. If Tosh is working on a video tutorial, I apologize for pointless updates, but I figure it's best not to let this thread cool off too much.
Upon opening the level in Plaything 2 I'm immediately met with the problem of actually detaching the car's polys from the rest of the level. Every time I try to isolate the car, I end up distorting the level itself. I can't find a copy or trim option, as one may be accustomed to. If there is a Plaything tutorial, I'd be happy to look at it, but the only one I saw linked on RR doesn't seem to exist anymore. The current link leads to a dead page.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Here are a couple of videos:

Loading and applying the Carma palette in GIMP:

(Carmagedit might should an error upon importing the BMP but the actual import seems to work

Isolating and setting up a car from the Silent Hill level mesh:

I didn't make audio comments on this one and it may be a bit tedious to follow because of that.

Pay attention that I sometimes check stuff but then cancel, or even attempt stuff but close PT2 without saving when I don't have the result I want.

(at the very start, I keep the ESC key down to dismiss the 'missing texture' dialogs)

The Delete function doesn't work IIRC, that's why I use Detach as seen in this video.

Some shortcuts I use:
D : deselect everything
SHIFT + G : rename ACTOR and/or MODEL identifiers
SHIFT + T : transform (used here to force identity matrix and later recenter the main model)
INSERT : add a model or empty actor (you can also see me access this dialog from the top menu)
Some more shortcuts are detailed in playtext.txt.

PT2 rarely lets us move a component under another, we have to add an empty child for it to be moveable for some reason, you'll see me do that often.
Once I imported the external wheel model, I use INSERT to add it again to the scene then I rename then to each wheel identifier. At first I didn't add the .ACT at the end of these as I thought I could use the "setup wheels" tools but it didn't work as intended so I just reloaded the scene, renamed the actors with .act at the end, made sure the model identifier was different (all wheels share the same model (the imported ANWHEEL)) then I added a dummy pivot child to each front wheel then made the child the parent and vice versa.

Pay also attention that when I first detach the car as 'chunk2', I save the file without removing the first 'chunk' and upon reloading, only 'chunk2' appears. This is a limitation of the BRender Actor format which can only have one master parent (under Objects, that is) and thus PT2 will only save the last entry (and its childs) in the list. Never forget to delete useless parts once detached afterward or you might end up saving them by accident.

At the end of the video, I think the saved ACT DAT and MAT should be good for C1, just have to hex-edit the MAT file to append .PIX at the end of the pixelmap filename (the material identifier should end with .MAT if you mimicked what I did)

Honestly this is all quite complicated as a first step in Carma modding IMO. And also it's probable you won't ever have to do these steps again for another carma project as this is quite specific. If you prefer me to send you C1-ready files of both those cars you want and you do the rest of the C1 setup yourself, don't hesitate to ask.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Excuse me for the offtopic message, but i have to thank you Mastro for posting the old Paint version .

Now i can work on certain things without the palette becoming corrupted or turning the ignition on the hassle that is my old computer :tongue:

Before
After

Goes well with the MagnaPal CRT mod.
Again excuse me for going offtopic :banana:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

[This CarmagEdit is patched with PPP.
It is recommended to patch other C1 tools and game palettes.

Paint in selected language can be *extracted* from Windows XP Mode (I believe it's latest version). Window 7 is not required.]
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Thanks for the tutorial, Tosh. I watched the whole thing with glee. Unfortunately, the odd bugs I've encountered are far worse than I expected. It's probably best if I get the finished models and go from there. I'll attempt to do it all again from scratch at some point, but at this rate I'm not going to see any progress.

Upon actually implementing the steps seen in the video, I haven't been able to get passed the first minute. Upon loading the level, Plaything absolutely refuses to apply textures to any objects. I dragged all the files into one directory as you did, then held down the escape key when prompted to select the pix files needed (I even took the time to copy/paste the pixies into the destination bar one by one, which didn't work), but all I'm getting are white polygons. I gave up on fixing that, as I can apply the textures later before I save the file (I assume, anyway). My next issue is in making a new object. All the menus come up fine, but I can't get Plaything to allow me to make a new object that isn't a child of Silent.dat. Even if I gave up on that, I'm incapable of removing objects as it summons a debug assertion window. You indicated that the remove funtion is flawed in general, so I attempted to detach them, but all I get is an error message stating that I have nothing selected, even though an object is indeed selected in both the data tree and in the object viewer.

Thank you for the GIMP tutorial, as well.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Here we are: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R6/SILENTCARS.zip
These files should be C1-ready, just have to do the paperwork.

I processed the wagon too and quickly reconstructed the jeep while I was at it. Up to you or anyone to port them ingame. The textures are too dark for C1 IMO?

Upon loading the level, Plaything absolutely refuses to apply textures to any objects. I dragged all the files into one directory as you did, then held down the escape key when prompted to select the pix files needed (I even took the time to copy/paste the pixies into the destination bar one by one, which didn't work)
Maybe you're already aware and your issue is something else but just in case: PT2 won't load 8bit textures, it just wants true color TIFF (or 16bit pixies, but it makes them on its own).
In the archive posted above, I included the tiffrgb folder too which only use is for visualisation within PT2.
but I can't get Plaything to allow me to make a new object that isn't a child of Silent.dat.
That is strange. Make sure your mouse is above the viewports when you hit a shortcut key as they don't work when the mouse is above the rest of the UI (quality software!). So yeah, pressing D then INSERT should invite to create a new object at the root of the scene rather than under the last master component.
I'm incapable of removing objects as it summons a debug assertion window. You indicated that the remove funtion is flawed in general, so I attempted to detach them, but all I get is an error message stating that I have nothing selected, even though an object is indeed selected in both the data tree and in the object viewer.
To delete a component, make sure it's selected (I often hit D then select it again from the tree), that you're in object-level mode (the cube) and select-mode (the cursor). Sometimes the icons seem to be enabled, but they aren't (quality software!). Then press DELETE with the mouse above the viewports.
Detach only applies to faces/vertices, must be in select+face/vertice modes.
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Thanks for the tips, Tosh. I'll go back over them in Plaything when I get the chance.

Also, thanks a whole hell of a lot for assisting in making these vehicles playable. After revisiting your C2 to C1 conversion video, I got the first vehicle working. It's bare bones and a bit wonky, but totally functional.

Also, thanks for the head's up about linking to Newgrounds. I didn't know it was going to be a problem.

There's a couple of issues with this car that I'm going to try and work out in the coming days before releasing it, since I seem to be the only one especially interested in this specific car:

Scale - The thing's simply too big for the scale of the rest of the cars. I'm gonna try to rescale it in Plaything and redo the wheel coordinates.

Menu images - At the moment I just have some placeholder FLIs in place so it's selectable, but I want to give it its own menu images.

Bonnet - Never quite understood how to do it, but I want to make a functioning bonnet before I post the car here.

Crush data - This should be easy due to Errol's breakthrough program, but I haven't added crush data yet to keep things simple.

I'm super excited to begin modding for Carmageddon and thank everyone for their input on my first real attempt. I'm hoping to mess around with the wagon and jeep a bit to try and teach myself new tricks. Here's hoping. Cheers. :beer:
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Ok, new problem. I chose to tackle the anim files first, because they seemed the least complicated. The good news is I've made a passable menu image of proper proportions and am able to to make an FLI file with it using Carmagedit. The problem, however, is the goddamn Carma palette. I have used the methods suggested by both Mastro and Tosh, but nothing helps. In fact, my results are getting worse. This is not due to the original file becoming increasingly corrupt, as I have a backup that is untouched.

First I attempted Mastro's method, since it worked last time. Following the same steps as before, I saved the file as a BMP and imported it. It of course looks fine until actually shown in game at which point it looks borderline negative. I also now have both Carma palettes (in-game and menu) loaded into GIMP and have attempted indexing the menu image as both types to no avail. I always export the file as a Windows BMP as was instructed, but it refuses to work.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

It sound like you are using race palette for menu.

There are two sets of palettes.

(That's why my patch create second exec after patching Trixx. In all other tools both palletes are also need to be patched).

Open default fli with patched CarmagEdit (first color is pink), select correct palette, export image (it will contains correct palette) paste your image on it then import back. Save fli then reopen it to see result. Few flics are not compatible with CarmagEdit, so if this faild try another file as source.
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Thanks, QTZ. It's better off than it was, but there are a couple of rough edges.

I'm going redo the original image pre-BMP conversion and change the font color. The hair pixels should be easy enough to touch up in Carmagedit. After that, I'll work on rescaling. The bonnet seems like a major headache.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Since white color is replaced with transparent - you are still using not patched palette!
Mastro put patched CarmagEdit above, also I have pointed to PPP which can be appiled to C1 (SP too) palettes and tools, however only CarmagEdit support flics.
There is no need to edit source image (It may be necessary if red color turns to pink - which after patching is transparent).
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Thanks again, QTZ. You're right. I did it your way and it's fine now - no transparent pixels. I apologize for trying to circumvent your suggestion. We'll call it beginner's hubris :wink: . I have successfully resized the car, as well. Now it looks less out of place next to the old Carma roster. All that's left is a decent bonnet for aesthetics and I think it'll be ready to go.

Size comparison: before and after

Just as an interesting aside: the car was having trouble getting over curbs in Maim Street and scraping every time I turned it the slightest degree. Because of this, I opened the car in Plaything and pulled it forward on the Z axis, as well as raising it a bit, being careful to make sure the wheels were perfectly aligned. It gets over curbs fine now, no annoying screeching, and it actually feels a bit better now. It was on the Z axis in such a way that the center of gravity was closer to the front, making fishtailing harder to avoid (this is the conclusion I've come to, anyway). I had always wondered why some modded cars such as the Bluesmobile spun out into doughnuts uncontrollably and looked like they were placed farther back in their bounding box - turns out that isn't too far off.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I didn't check the scale, sorry about that. However I made sure to send you properly centered (in comparison to wheel coords along the Z axis) scenes (both actors and models), so I guess you must have moved them somehow. Maybe while scaling down?
About the screeching problem, you could have simply raised the bounding box bottom point a bit (min Y).
Still about the actor's position along the Z axis/doughnuts/off physics, keep in mind the most important factor is still the center of mass in the txt file, then traction, then suspensions. (wheel coords should always be correct too)
So if you duplicated an existing stock/addon car txt file, you have to check all the values/coords first (after you got the car ingame though).
I just checked the Bluesmobile and it is correctly centered. Center of mass however is set to -0.1 along the Z axis (so toward the front).

What's up with the shadow in your last screenshot? Maybe it was just flickering as it can happen. Shadows are defined by the bounding box X/Z values.

Before the CarmaTools maxscripts, I used to detach the bonnet off the main model in PT2. Then just have to rename the model and actor and it's good to go ingame. Once ingame I use the Edit Bonnet mode to tweak the actor properly (camera position should be properly set beforehand, top of the txt file).
It's explained there https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R6/wally/codes.html#Bonnet
If the bonnet is detached from the main model in PT2, its actor will lose the positioning, mainly the Y translation. So once ingame, the first thing to do is to raise it.
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

No problem about the scaling, Tosh. I appreciate everything you've done so far and I needed the exercise in problem solving, anyway. You're probably right, your way would have been easier. I'm just happy mine worked at all. What I meant about the Z axis was the way you sent it to me seemed to be ass-heavy at first, but I'm well aware your calculations are precise. It was just the way it showed up in game that irked me. Because of this I deliberately moved the car forward in Plaything while scaling it to try and balance it out which, now I see, was pointless.

As far as I can tell the shadow was simply flickering. I loaded the car up in another level and saw a totally consistent shadow. I'm running Carmageddon Special Edition which, while a tidy little package, still has some rough edges.

Ok, first issue with the bonnet: I'm able to detach and export the hood just fine. However, when I do, the hood loads completely textureless except for one small part when I reimport it as its own object. I locate the SLTSEDAN PIX file when prompted to, but this doesn't seem to help.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hey Links,
Any progress on this project? :sbsmile:
About the bonnet problem, I finally did a quick video to illustrate how I used to do it. Can you confirm that you run into the same issues even when following these steps?
Basically, I make sure to have the whole model into the viewport to be able to select all faces at once, then deselect the few faces making up the bonnet.
Detach the selected faces, go into object select mode, delete the detached object.
Select and optimize the model (to remove the vertices which aren't detached/deleted for some reason).
Then rename the model identifier, then again rename the actor identifier. It's not critical to give a distinct name/extension to the actor and model, but it's a bit more proper if the actor ends with .ACT and model with .DAT. Main point is to rename the now-bonnet to something different from the complex/main model.

Apologies about the blank moment around 1:35 and 2:00, I was on phone.
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Hey Tosh, thanks for the tutorial. I'll be reviewing it several times in the next day or so. Basically, no, I took a break from the project for a few days at the same point I was at during the last post. I did figure out how to overcome the issue I was having last night, but only temporarily. It turns out I was trying to load the PIX file to skin the bonnet in Plaything instead of the TIFF. I then skinned the bonnet with the appropriate image, but it's only temporary. Even when I save the file, closing and reopening Plaything opens the object without a texture again. Mind you I went about it differently than you did in the video, so I'll probably scrap what I have and start over.

Part of my problem is being afraid to mess with what I've already made because of how touchy Carma 1 can be. I had intended to start working on the police car and get it to the point the sedan is at now to prove I have a handle on everything, but work and school have gotten in the way. I'm also trying to see what's considered the bare minimum for a decent mod. Some modders like Maxine go above and beyond and add features that are cool as hell, but not functionally necessary. Other mods, such as Deep_Blue's '49 Mercury are just barely functional and lack a lot of optimization. I'm not sure where the middle ground is. Part of me wants to skip the bonnet, the race placement image, and the mugshot entirely and move on to other vehicles, but something's telling me that would damage the Silent Sedan's usefulness to the community.

Overthinking it, I know.

I plan to start back modding as school eases up.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I know the feeling... Just keep in mind this [modding] must stay an enjoyable hobby. You shouldn't have to force yourself (too much). I too skip stuff sometimes (when I just want the addon out of the way): the damage indicator, the cockpit, the driver portraits, sometimes even the simple model and bonnet. I just use defaults [eagle's] instead or another stock car assets. But yeah, the most annoying bit by far IMO is the grid icon. Difficult to skip or use a preexisting one... But it doesn't have to be top notch either.

There's also the fact that you're new to this, so it's even more important that you enjoy discovering how it all works and what you can do with the game. You're learning step by step and always have the possibility to come back to an older release to improve it.

Besides that, the material problem you describe within PT2 doesn't ring a bell at all :saston: I suppose the material must be applied to the actor somehow, but PT2 prefers the model's materials upon loading. Something like that?
And just make backups of your files at different stages of advancement, and before trying stuff out. Before finishing a mod, my development folder is always a mess with many versions and parts.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Not wanting to interrupt but if you want, i could try to make an attempt for a Grid icon?
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Thanks for the pep talk, Tosh. I ended up following your tutorial, but straying a tad bit. Every time I try to delete the majority of the model as you did in the video, I get a debug error. I have a hunch that uninstalling and reinstalling Plaything will fix this at least temporarily, but I don't have the stomach to try it right now. The good news is after selecting the hood as its own object, I'm able to save it as its own file and open that by itself in Plaything without deleting anything.

So I got back on the horse and have good news and bad news. The good news is I got the proper bonnet to appear in-game:

The bad news is Carma now refuses to save the new ACT file I need to keep the coordinates. This is especially interesting as when it was loading the ENTIRE CAR'S MODEL FOR THE BONNET it made a new ACT just fine.

As an aside - I tried making a bare-bones iteration of the cop car in Carma, but everytime I try to start the game I get a debug error. It has to be the car because as soon as I remove it from the OPPONENT text file, it launches just fine. Is there a difference between the sedan's basic files and the cop car's files that I could be missing?

If you'd like to take a crack at it, Joker, it would be appreciated. I'll figure out how to implement it sooner or later, though.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

Edit. forgot something

Here you go : https://www.4shared.com/rar/LBa8hldYca/ ... SEDAN.html?
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Hate to tell you, Joker, but that site seems awfully...untrustworthy. I navigated it fine, but after waiting its mandatory 60 seconds the download still wouldn't start and I'm not about to make an account on it just for the file. I appreciate it, though.

Small update: I fixed my last problem. I reopened the original SDF file in Plaything, renamed it, re-saved it, copied all the files back into their directories, moved the bonnet back into position, and now it seems to be permanent. The project's coming along so smoothly by this point that I went ahead and started tidying up the directory so I can make a zip file. I made the readme with an appropriate text chunk, as well. Just one or two more things and I'll post a download link.

Another quick aside - I still have yet to understand the formatting of the 32X32X32 and 64X64X64 folders. I understand they're for either standard or hi-res mode, but I don't know what edits need to be made to the files in order for me to add them to each respective directory. Is it just a filing thing and the TXT and PIX files within are identical?

PS - I have found this thread incredibly helpful and encouraging. I plan to convert some C2 cars to C1 in the future after I understand the basics, but am unaware of if a thread like this for such a well-covered topic would be acceptable. Would such threads be considered spam, or are they welcome because of how quiet this community is?
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

From what i recall 32X32X32 is for the standard lowres mode, and 64X64X64 for the hires mode.

Maybe this one ?
https://www.solidfiles.com/v/eReYV2vjepR6X
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Post by Errol »

LinksofSphynx wrote:I plan to convert some C2 cars to C1 in the future after I understand the basics, but am unaware of if a thread like this for such a well-covered topic would be acceptable. Would such threads be considered spam, or are they welcome because of how quiet this community is?
Probably just use this thread? It keeps all the info in one place.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@Links: Good that you keep on progressing :) Out of the blue: are you working from a system-protected folder? (within Program Files for example, as happens with Steam)
Don't hesitate to upload nonworking files (like the copcar) so that we can tell you the issue directly. IMO the sedan and copcar being basically the same kinda vehicle, the setup should be the same as for the sedan.

About the 32X20X8 and 64X48X8 folders:
They correspond to resources used according to the resolution the game is running in (lowres/hires). So lowres stuff should be smaller than the hires stuff. AND the menu always runs in lowres.
So:
The grid icon, for example, will always go into 32X20X8\PIXELMAP
HUD/cockpit elements for the lowres mode go in that same folder ^ (personaly I never customize lowres hud and cockpit, so it defaults to the eagle's)
HUD/cockpit elements for the hires mode go into 64X48X8\PIXELMAP
The game will only look for these if the car has an appropriately named TXT file in 64X48X8\CARS (and 32X20X8\CARS if you're hardcore). Just duplicate EAGLE.TXT and edit the resources you want to change (usualy cockpit views and damage indicator). You can tweak the numbers next to them to adjust their onscreen placement (the numbers are usualy X,Y coordinates, either based on the screen (640x480), or the cockpit image (a bit larger), sometimes they can be offsets (external cam damage indicator is placed via an offset from the internal cam damage indicator position)).
Dimmed rectangles are also defined by numbers being minX minY maxX maxY.

Again, remember the stock nonstealable cars didn't even have bonnet models, let alone cockpit etc. So don't beat yourself if you don't feel like customizing your addon to 100%.

I also think continuing the C2-C1 port topic is preferable if you encounter issues etc. Then if you want, you can create a release topic of your own like Wade did.

@Joker: nice icon :)
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

:saston: SHOWTIME! :saston:

Thanks to everyone for the help. Joker, I ended up using your grid image (very nice!) and credited you in the ReadMe along with Toshiba. I think the Silent Sedan is ready for distribution. Aside from the files for the 32X folder, it should be feature complete. I decided not to include crush data, just in case any fiddling with the text is desired/needed and CrushIt makes it so easy to add.

SILENT SEDAN DOWNLOAD

As for future projects, I gotcha. I'll add to current related threads if I make sufficient progress or have questions. Also, no, my files are not in system-protected folders. In fact, they're spread across two drives. Let me know if there are any issues, of course. If I can't figure out the issue with the cop car, I'll throw those files up here too for assistance.
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

I could have done something wrong, but it appears like this :

Installed it once, and afterwards replaced the files again with those from the archive but the result is the same. The menu Fli image is also black, only the name appears.

Other then that, it looks nice ingame.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Congrats on the first release :beer:
Despite being a bit dark for C1 (I turned the lights on :grin:), it fits nicely in there. Great suspensions too.

I think Mastro should be credited for porting the 3D data to the BRender format?

Some details about the zip archive:
32X32X32 should be 32X20X8 (but it's empty in this case, so not necessary to include it)
64X64X64 should be 64X48X8.
You don't need to duplicate both PIX files into 64X48X8\PIXELMAP.
If you don't modify the duplicated 64X48X8\CARS\EAGLE.TXT, then you don't have to include it as the game will default to the eagle's automagically.
LinksofSphynx
mechanic

Post by LinksofSphynx »

Oh fuck, you're right. Crediting the original porter of the level didn't cross my damn mind. I apologize. Thanks for the further details, Tosh. I used the Leadpumper as the base for the TXT file, so I believe that's why the suspension's so good.

My heart sank right before work when I saw Joker's last post. Are his issues isolated, then? All the files work fine for others?

I don't know why the problems you're having would occur, Joker. You seem to be having issues I had early in the modding process, though I fixed those long ago. I pasted all of the files from my pre-zip archive back into the DATA folder and did a test race to ensure everything functioned before uploading. Also I used the original Eagle's cockpit for the car, but yours is showing the Eagle 2 cockpit. I don't know how that could have happened. Could it be something to do with the fact that I'm running Carma Special Edition, or is that the standard for the community?
70's Viking
hit n run

Post by 70's Viking »

LinksofSphynx wrote:My heart sank right before work when I saw Joker's last post. Are his issues isolated, then? All the files work fine for others?

I don't know why the problems you're having would occur, Joker. You seem to be having issues I had early in the modding process, though I fixed those long ago. I pasted all of the files from my pre-zip archive back into the DATA folder and did a test race to ensure everything functioned before uploading. Also I used the original Eagle's cockpit for the car, but yours is showing the Eagle 2 cockpit. I don't know how that could have happened. Could it be something to do with the fact that I'm running Carma Special Edition, or is that the standard for the community?
Don't worry, you have done a better job at making car then i ever will.

Like i said, it could all be on my behalf, there could be a file that interferes with your files or something like that :help: .

I'm using the Steam version with the meld pack, so the dashboard is definitely on my behalf .
I'll see if i can install the clean backup somewhere else to try your car out.
Last edited by 70's Viking on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check who’s online