Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Straight C2 to C1 converting

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Straight C2 to C1 converting

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Depends how detailed it has to be. Here's a quick and untested try for a dumb conversion assuming you know your way around:

1. Convert all textures to 8bit BMP using the ingame palette. Put all BMP files + TRixx in a folder and run TRixx, select option 3, type a filename and hit ENTER. Place generated PIX pack file in PIXELMAP folder.

2. Place ACT file in ACTORS folder, DAT file in MODELS folder and MAT file in MATERIALS. Maybe SCRN4.MAT too I guess. Skip the 'simple_' files and SHELL for now.

3. Hex edit the MAT file with an Hex Editor (there are good free ones) and append .PIX after each texture filename. Most of the times there seem to be two names: a material entry includes the material name and a little further the filename of the texture it uses. So it's always the second one that has to get .PIX added right after. (Sometimes the material name is different from the texture name, just keep track of your progress. You can check in the hex part that the byte before the texture filename is always 08)

4. Duplicate an existing car TXT file, best to try and pick one from a car that resembles the one you're converting. At least physics-wise. Change the filename in the first line. Change the resource loading to match the PIX MAT DAT and ACT files. Remember to also change the number of files to load for each type (usually gets down to 1 but for DAT and ACT that remain at 3). As you haven't prepared BONNET nor SIMPLE models, just leave the previous ones there, they'll be untextured but the game won't care. (For the DAT files, change the one that doesn't seem to have X at the end nor B or BON, BONNET. For the ACT file you'll want to change the one on the line that starts with 0).
Further down, remove FUNKS if any. Then replace the enormous list of numbers between END OF GROOVES and START OF MECHANICS by this:

// CRUSH DATA
// CRUSH DATA
// CRUSH DATA

Don't touch anything else yet.

5. Hijack an existing car entry in OPPONENT.TXT or create a new entry by duplicating an existing one, make it load the new TXT file. Try to start the game and load the car and start a game but then it crashes, try not to cry, cry a lot.

6. If it works, you can then try and adapt the TXT file to make it match the physics and grooves (if any) of the C2 original. The bounding box might be made for the mins and maxs on each axis of the original bounding box I guess. If it still works, you can invest more time in menu pics etc etc

This should be a quick and dirty way to get a C2 car in C1, I can do it very quickly but this also means I might have forgotten stuff. It's not top notch ofcourse as for example the main model should be placed with the origin in its center but it won't hurt the game anyway.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Re: Tosh's car releases

Post by WadeSullivan »

Alot of good info :investigate:
I will try some day thanks Tosh
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

well i tried and when iwill pick the car (of course in the garage will be all black) the game crashed XD

I was trying to get the Semi-MKII (Mother Trucker) from c2 i picked too the files in the site Toxic Ragers.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Wade, upload the ACT DAT MAT TXT PIX C1 files somewhere and I'll check it out :ssmile:
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Wade, upload the ACT DAT MAT TXT PIX C1 files somewhere and I'll check it out :ssmile:
http://www.toxic-ragers.co.uk/files/car ... /semi2.zip

I think is missing the .PIX only, i used the trixx to make one
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I at least need YOUR txt and mat files...
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

sorry =/

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b447zvhbf06f3fq/SEMI2.rar

i used the original Mother Trucker .TXT from carma1
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I just had a quick try with the Semi Mk2 myself and it turns out it hits a material limit. I'll fiddle some more and report to you, I didn't think of that in my instructions.
In your files, TXT file is correct, PIX is empty and MAT untouched.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Toshiba-3 wrote:I just had a quick try with the Semi Mk2 myself and it turns out it hits a material limit. I'll fiddle some more and report to you, I didn't think of that in my instructions.
In your files, TXT file is correct, PIX is empty and MAT untouched.
Thats wierd, i used the trixx to make a .PIX and is empty? O_o
I also found a tutotial from MacCarpocalypse about the conversion and i will try to work with that to make the c2 to c1 too.

When you made it Tosh, can you told what did you do? Sorry to boder, but i want to learn and make a full conversion of carma2 cars to carma 1 :slol: :slol:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You must convert the tiff files to BMP files + carma palette, place the first half of the BMP files in a folder named SEMI2A and the other half in a folder named SEMI2B. Place TRixx in each folder and run it, hit 3, then ENTER.

You must edit the MAT file to add .PIX after each texture filename as explained in point 3 of my post up here. (maybe you did it but then didn't include the modified MAT in your zip then)

Then the MAT file must be split in two. This is more difficult to explain. I'm uploading a video I did while converting the Semi MK2 to C1, maybe it'll be enough to show you how it's done. I'll update this post when it's done uploading.

[edit] here it is: Please don't mind my terrible english. I'll delete this video in the upcoming days as I intend to make it again but in french with subtitles.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Tosh you are a god dude, im watching right now your video to learn all :rockon: :rockon:
And i will save too to keep studying untill make a good convertion.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Ok here we go, it works like a charm, but once again i have the F....! pix problem (im using the pallets from your site Tosh carma-tosh.act) but maybe is my PS, and i will get another one.

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... nal/c1.jpg

but right a second later the game turn into this

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... nal/c2.jpg

could be the .PIX messing up the carma and crashing the game?
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@WadeSullivan
Is this happening with this car or even without it? I'm asking because I remember such effect when text files are not correcty decrypted. To be sure use Meld Pack as base (text files are decrypted and verified there).

About the pixelmap - I really recommending to patch (your TRixx is not patched) *all* your pixelmap related tools, also *palettes* used with tools and *in game* with PPP - read included information - available after start. This is important when you exporting images from C1/SP, but also you can export / browse your newly created file to verify if this is what you want or not. Also look at file size. Your Pixelmap is just too small to hold any data.

To see how it work and how the file format should look like try to extract pixelmap from C1/SP (with patched TRixx) - for example SCREWIE.PIX. Make new folder, copy there SCREWIE.PIX and TRixx.exe, then run it. It should create a set of bitmaps when few with pink areas which are transparent in game. Then you can build PIX pack by running TRixx.exe again, but first you need to remove "SCREWIE_" from filenames and also remove original SCREWIE.PIX. So basically you need set of BITMAPS with correct palette, proper names, in one folder with patched TRixx.exe (TRixxMnu.exe is for menu images - different palette).

@Toshiba-3
Great video I will try to convert this car either (and maybe another too) :) I understand what you are talking clearly. You have French accent (similar to Michel Gondry), but it's OK :)
The problem with orbiting wheels is exactly the same as sometime appear with Swap Rat car... so I guess wrong, duplicated? entry must be in this car text file... Maybe you can take a look (I know I asked about this in the past, but now you have example)?
Also why we need to divide the files and how many entries is too much, what happened if we put all of them?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

@Wade: At first glance, that looks like a collision problem between world and car to me. Double-check the bounding box and angular momentum proportions, if necessary make the bbox identical to what I did ingame. Lacking pixies won't create this problem.

About the car being untextured, it can be the pixelmaps or the materials or both. Make sure they are loaded propely in SEMI2.TXT (verify filenames and that both PIX files are loaded in each of the three pixelmap entry. Same with the materials below.
Might as well be that your PIX packs are invalid. Can you successfully convert the textures to the 8bit palette and save them as .BMP files? If you do the same as I do for the first texture in the video then there should be no problem (I automated the rest). You can check your PIX packs with Carmagedit to see if textures are properly packed. If the PIX packs are correct and properly loaded in the TXT file, then it must be the MAT files editing.

Again you can upload your C1 files for me to check and report.

By the way, why are you playing Carmageddon in low resolution?

@QTZ: He had also uploaded the C1 txt file in his previous post, it seemed correct.
I don't remember about the Swamp Rat, I can check. But anyway I'm really surprised that the middle wheels work in C2 without their spinning groove being set with proper coordinates. Maybe the fact the model identifier has .ACT at the end triggers a pivot reset. I don't know.
Also don't remember the pixelmap AND material limit per file for cars, it's within the 30s. Need to split in two to bypass the limit or else the game will crash and moan about insufficient material/pixelmap slots in storage area etc.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Re: Straight C2 to C1 converting

Post by WadeSullivan »

@QTZ - No, only happens with this one, the rest is normal to play. And i guess i understand and i will take a look in the PIX, its the only thing that keep bothering me :supermad:

@Toshiba-3 - Ok i will look again in the TXT (i literally made just like you in the video step-by-step XD)
2 // pixelmap files for this car
SEMI2A.PIX
SEMI2B.PIX
2 // Number of pixelmap files for this car
SEMI2A.PIX
SEMI2B.PIX
SEMI2A.PIX
SEMI2B.PIX
0 // Number of shadetable files for this car

SEMI2A.MAT
SEMI2B.MAT
SEMI2A.MAT
SEMI2B.MAT
SEMI2A.MAT
SEMI2B.MAT
3 // Number of model files for this car
SEMIX.DAT
SEMIBON.DAT
SEMI2.DAT
3 // Number of alternative actors
8,SEMIX.ACT // Minimum distance away, actor name
0,SEMI2.ACT // Minimum distance away, actor name
-1,SEMIBON.ACT // Minimum distance away, actor name
DRSKY.MAT
http://www.mediafire.com/file/07r14sa1x ... MI2BMP.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Your PIX packs are ok, however you applied the wrong palette to the textures! You need to load the carma_tosh one.
And so I guess the problem comes from the MAT files, could you upload them too?
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Your PIX packs are ok, however you applied the wrong palette to the textures! You need to load the carma_tosh one.
And so I guess the problem comes from the MAT files, could you upload them too?
I hate this sometimes LOL, i applied the palletes one by one in PS (because i didnt make it the automate/batch to bmp) Nevermind, i just fix the pallete and i saw in carmaedit that is ok now, but still loads the game with the "messy" pallete like in above.

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... nal/c1.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0gtsic0di ... mi2MAT.rar
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Getting weird, your MAT files seemed in order to me! Also if Carmagedit displays the pixies properly, then they should appear fine ingame too. Silly hypothesis but is it possible you forgot to replace the PIX packs in the PIXELMAP folder once you fixed the palette?
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

I just looked again in the pixelmap, and replaced again just in case lol and all the files again (except the MAT TXT) but still have the same thing, the pix messing up and the white screen and crash hahahaha

Perhaps something on the TXT is wrong?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Could you zip up the SEMI2.ACT,DAT,TXT,MAT and PIX files from your C1 folders and upload it? Try not to miss a single file if possible.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

there you go

http://www.mediafire.com/file/fiaz35j996b4b0x/Semi2.rar

sorry for the trouble =/
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You added an unneeded coordinate between the bounding box and the minimum turning circle radius, delete this line (toward the end):

Code: Select all

0.000,  0.326,  0.042
This is what generated the collision issue.

Secondly you didn't add .pix at the end of the filename, you overwrote the data after the filename. Example:
Original:

SLWHEEL............<
What you did:

SLWHEEL.PIX........<
What had to be done:

SLWHEEL.PIX............<
Do you see the difference? You probably can switch between ADD and OVERWRITE mode in your hex editor by pressing the INSERT key on your keyboard. Just delete both mat files and try again from the original C2 mat file after splitting it in two. You're almost there!
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

OK FINALLY!!!! WORKED XD

But only the fuuuuuu texture are still a big pink hahahah:

https://uploaddeimagens.com.br/images/0 ... inal/1.jpg

But the sound, the wheels animation are normal
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Did you do add .PIX the way I explained in my previous post? Because that's the problem for the non appearing textures.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Looking at WadeSullivan files:
- Textures are converted properly (if we like dithering - I done this without dithering - using XP MSPaint), but some textures are missing.
- semi2a.mat ".pix" is still not *inserted*, but *overwrite* - you have replacing nulls with ".pix", so four 00 Bytes are missing after each .pix you have put instead.
- semi2b.mat - the same, but the file is bigger - whole part is pasted twice.
Both files have correct header.
"A" is switched with "B" but I think this doesn't matter (As I do the same).
- semi2.act is missing, but we have SCRN4.mat, semi2SHELL.dat, simple_semi2.dat, simple_semi2.mat - unused here.

WadeSullivan which hex editor you are using? Usually we switch the overwrite mode with Insert key as Toshiba say - try it.

I have few questions, but need to test first...
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Yeah i think is the hex editor, im using the HEX EDITOR NEO.

First of all thank you Tosh and QZT for all the help and for "hold" my annoying questions:

Finally FINALLY worked!! Now i will work on the .FLI for the mug and the garage. I know that the grid is the GSEMI.pix that i need to edit in the new semi2, and the cockpit the same. Is on the TXT file that i edit to load those parts? grid, cockpit

Normal issues:
1-the 2 last wheels (left and right) aren´t "rolling".
2-In the damage galery the truck is higher then the normal cars.

Tosh what did you mean about play in low res? :eek:
im using a little code that opens carma1 in win-mode but in hi-rez

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ah sorry I forgot to say that you renamed and changed coords of the wrong GROOVES. You edited RRWHEEL.ACT and RLWHEEL.ACT while you had to edit MRWHEEL.ACT and MLWHEEL.ACT. I guess you can just take a quick peek at the video again to be sure.

The car being too high in the gallery is a side effect of this being a quick conversion. I mention at some point in the video that this isn't the proper way to make a C1 addon as the main component isn't positioned at the origin. Fixing this would be too much hassle for little gain I think (would have to do it in PT2 then recalculate bounding box).

Grid image is set in the main TXT file (above the resource list). Cockpit images and damage indicator are set in the HUD TXT file (DATA\64X48X8\CAR\), you can duplicate the SEMI one again if you want. The game uses the Eagle's by default.

And my mistake thinking you were running in lowres, the window is streched in a way that made me think it was the lowres mode scaled up.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Hahaha thats right, now all the wheels are runing good, thank you again XD

And now i will start the whole process to make the Semi-MK2 like you do ( i will steal your ideia to make the .RAR with all the files and where each one needed to be put :tongue: )

When i finish i upload here or is better make a new post with the convertions and keep the list refreshing? Like for exemple:

[image in c1]
Semi-MK2 for C1 - link
[image in c1]
The Plow-MK2 for C1 - link
[image in c1]
The Bimmer for C1 - link

and keep going, i want your opinion :banana:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well I suppose starting your own release thread would be best. And yeah making ZIP/RAR files with the proper folder hierarchy makes it WAY easier for anyone to install the addon.

Don't forget though that you can still complete the project some more with a cockpit and bonnet model!
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Well I suppose starting your own release thread would be best. And yeah making ZIP/RAR files with the proper folder hierarchy makes it WAY easier for anyone to install the addon.

Don't forget though that you can still complete the project some more with a cockpit and bonnet model!
Yeah i just tested the cockpit (yup i used the semi) only the front hood of semi-MK2 are mess up if colors ( pink like the error i posted above) but its fine i guess, most of the cars of C1 have the eagle hood or a "messy" eagle hood in the cockpit. I don´t to jump too far into PS editing because i suck at it :lol: :lol:, or better can i remove the hood vision?

thank you soooooo much for everthing Tosh and QTZ :beer: :beer:
Last edited by WadeSullivan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@Toshiba-3
...and this is the problem. I was trying to keep original "interior" from SEMI car (from SplatPack) and I got this: "Insufficient pixelmap slots in storage area" (when pixelmap is included) or "Insufficient material slots in storage area" (when pixelmap is not included, but material/s). No matter if base material file is divided to two or not. I have even tested with untouched SEMI2.MAT - just not included ".PIX" in SEMI2.PIX entries and it working same as edited and divided to two. It look like this reach slots limit no matter if divided or not. So is this really help anything? Do we need to cut something to keep "interior" form SP SEMI then?

https://qtz.cwaboard.co.uk/examples/SEMI2.7z <- pixelmap for use / test with non edited SEMI2.MAT.
(I have also included texture for glass.)

@WadeSullivan
In Meld Pack "cheats" "interiors" are not "messy".

PS. For hex editing I'm using Tiny Hexer it's small and useful editor.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

QTZ i was have the same problem last night, and i reduce the "image pix" from the .PIX

Was 38 images and i reduced to 33 and its working now, i tested some images and looked at the game to see what is missing. I will fix the interior under the car (the pink) and see if the error will appear, because i will put more images into the .PIX

Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

QTZ: Indeed, splitting actually doesn't help. I was a bit misled as it does help with tracks. It seems like the maximum pixelmap files possible to load in the 'resource area' is 40. SEMIBON=10 pixies, so SEMI2 must have 30 pixies max. It looks like the materials have the same limit of 40. Honestly it is a reasonable limit per C1 car.
But as C2 cars use a ton of small pixies, it becomes problematic when doing straight conversions. A solution would be to at least make a bonnet model out of the complex model. This way the bonnet and complex model would share the same material and pixelmap libraries.
Or trying to cut into materials/pixies like the engine and interior, and you'd make the windows black or something instead. Material entries would have to be removed manually from the MAT file.

Haven't had a look at the Swamp Rat yet.

@Yuri/Wade: you should also try to convert the textures without diffusion while applying the palette. Some look better without diffusion and some with it.
WadeSullivan
hit n run

Post by WadeSullivan »

I didn´t used in any of them XD, but i will start look at that thanks.

Oh Tosh the "hood" file is a .PIX too right? where they are? I want to fix the Semi-MK2 and the bimmer hoods to not looks so "crashed"

And exist some way to create a grid to look more closer to the carma grid? I tried to make one and is soooo bad like a paint draw :lol: :lol:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@Toshiba-3: We have learned about the mat file format (how to split - remove some entries), so it's not bad anyway ;) AFAIK in the track - dividing is necessary when there is too much pixies in one pixelmap, not sure if this help when this reach "slots" limit (which seems much bigger than for car).

@WadeSullivan: look in each resolution subfolders for example:
.\DATA\64X48X8\CARS\SEMI.TXT (copy to SEMI2.TXT in same folder [of course in this case] and read it to find out pixelmaps used for this car interior - usually first three are enough)
for pixelmaps look:
.\DATA\64X48X8\PIXELMAP\
copy those pixelmaps to new, then edit (don't forget to set new files in .txt).
Repeat for other resolution/s (if you want).

But for the bonnet model pixelmaps are located in common PIXELMAP folder together with other textures.

Important: For C1 keep filenames in 8.3 standard, so name must be max. 8 characters long (extension is always 3).

Check who’s online