Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

[REL] Carmageddon 2 BETA Mod

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

[REL] Carmageddon 2 BETA Mod

Post by Razor »

After months and months of working on it (and a lot of time not working on it), my BETA Mod for Carmageddon 2 is finally complete and ready to be released!

Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now! BETA Modification is a complete conversion of Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now! and a standalone release, it is available in two formats, ZIP archive and a hassle-free installer that includes shortcuts and a configuration screen before you play the mod for the first time!

-- FEATURES --
Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now! BETA Modification includes the following features:

-Brand new, complex font system based on fonts that appear in early builds of Carmageddon 2
-Tweaked powerups based on older designs of powerups
-New explosion, splash, flames and smoke effects based on earlier builds of Carmageddon 2
-New intro cutscene based on demo versions of the game
-Early incomplete drones present in previews of Carmageddon 2 are back in the game and original drone paths are now active within certain levels
-All new, grittier menu UI and cleaner layout
-Brand new pedestrians based on early concepts by Stainless
-Unused pedestrians are back in the game
-OLD powerup boxes
-Altered level order
-Increased opponent amount
-Damage system reworked to make cars easier to bend as evidenced in demo versions of the game
-Tweaked levels based on early designs, levels also now play at different times of day as evidenced in some early screenshots
- Menu and Car images based on early appearances

-The following vehicle changes based on early concepts/builds are present:

Hell Rod - Old wheels, now features blue outline around it's flames, driver also changed to Mad Harry
Bug Too - Minor changes based on old textures
Buzzmobile - Driver textures based on original Buzz appearance
Purple Piledriver - Official in-dev Stainless model featuring blades on the wheels as originally intended, driver also changed to AJP Hate
DC Codbra - Old wheels, added blood back to the vehicle, other minor changes
Copcar - Old design based on unused textures for the vehicle, now uses a similar colour schene to C1 cops
Red Vet - Added blood back
Lamb O'Genie - Added blood back, driver also changed to Larry Lamba
Digga - Official complete Stainless model, features variation of original textures, Digga lives!
Plow Mk2 - Added blood back
Eagle 3 - Four models of the Eagle are available in the game, by default the Demo model but Prototype, Alpha and Final Eagle 3 models unlock upon completion of the game
Cow Poker - Fixed alpha channels
Hick Pickup - Uses original textures, as evidenced in early screenshots
Ice Van - Mentioned during the development of the game and only ever appearing in Carmageddon 64, the Ice Cream Van is back in the game and unlocks upon completion!
Mad Morris - Fixed alpha channels, driver also changed to Stalwart Fellow
Monster Beatle - Model fixed up, uses old textures based on unused textures and early appearances of the vehicle
Prop Shafter - Now in it's original, bright orange paintjob!
Porker 2 - Added blood back, uses original textures, headlights now properly implemented, driver also changed to Sid Pig
Blood Riviera - Added blood back, vehicle based on it's appearance in early screenshots
Twister 2 - Official in-dev Stainless model featuring rear drill as originally intended
Tashita 2 - Fixed headlights, uses original textures
Vlad 3 - Added blood back
Abba Cab - Uses original textures as evidenced by early screenshots
Flower Plower - Now appears as an opponent
Street Machine - Added blood back, uses original textures based on early concepts and it's Carmageddon 64 appearance

-- CREDITS --

Mod created by: Razor
Official in-dev templates, models, scenes, levels, textures, builds, executables, files courtesy of: Errol
Fixed Monster Bug, Digga, Red Hawk, Icevan, Cerby & other little fixes courtesy of: Toshiba-3
Tips on the font system of Carma2: Harmalarm
This modification is based on early assets & original concepts by Stainless Games
Thanks for helping me out with insight and information during the development of this mod: Nobby, Shane

Testers:
Toshiba-3, Razor

-- DOWNLOAD THE MOD --
Links to download the mod either in standalone installer form or as a zipped archive can be found over at Stomping On Kittens, follow this link for those:
https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk/2016/06/26 ... -released/

This page also includes more information on the mod, screenshots and other tidbits.

Cheers,
~Razor.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: [RELEASE] Carmageddon 2 BETA Mod

Post by Toshiba-3 »

About time this gets released! :swink:
You did great work tracking all the changes from the promo screenshots etc. and then replicating the old setup.
The work with fonts is also very neat, and was apparently tedious!

Playing it, it's a bit weird how effectively more ancient it feels :sbsmile:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

well - nice! :cool: I'm more fond of first Carma, but was always admiring updated universe while looking at promo screens in ads at PC Gamer over and over again (obviously they were stating not the true content of the final version but they looked darn good).
Maybe this pack will return me this feeling of a brand new game
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Great work Razor.
I do like the fact the cars fold more easily.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Looking at log it's Awesome Work! Congratulation!

I have just run this mod, so can't say much yet... But as always from my side a bug report:

On XP and non SSE2 PC it crash on start because of non compatible winmm.dll version.
The joystick setup is missing - can't access analog option (too bad the bars are hard coded here).

Keyboard bindings - it keep the bug form C2 - we can't rebind F1 key (it's in use twice).
The setup C and D are the same - which I think is nice to set for laptops (WSAD, arrows).

About the game - look a bit like C2 ;), but something is strange, I need to try it more...
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

QTZ wrote:Looking at log it's Awesome Work! Congratulation!

I have just run this mod, so can't say much yet... But as always from my side a bug report:

On XP and non SSE2 PC it crash on start because of non compatible winmm.dll version.
The joystick setup is missing - can't access analog option (too bad the bars are hard coded here).

Keyboard bindings - it keep the bug form C2 - we can't rebind F1 key (it's in use twice).
The setup C and D are the same - which I think is nice to set for laptops (WSAD, arrows).

About the game - look a bit like C2 ;), but something is strange, I need to try it more...
Cheers for the reminder on the winmm.dll file, Tosh did remind me to either delete or update it and I completely forgot, will update the installer/archive accordingly for that.

Yes I removed the joystick setup, during testing I tried the game with a few controllers to see if it was worth keeping in but after attempting to tweak the settings to work with both Xbox 360/Xbox One and directinput PS3 controllers, as soon as I got it into as good a compatible state as I could I just removed the settings to avoid confusion.

I never fiddled with the pre-set controller layouts, assuming people would just set up their own anyway.

Cheers :)
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I'm not sure if there is winmm.dll, which work on all version of Windows.

The older one working on XP (and probably on some later Windows too), but probably doesn't on Windows 10 (reported, but usually people using two wrappers at same time, so can't say exactly which one / or both is / are the reason of crash - not tested by me).

I think that new version is compiled with new compilator, which drop the support for older Windows (I'm also not sure if this work with any Windows below 10) / and / or old hardware (I'm not sure what is critical software and / or hardware).

I think there are two ways - GOG should recompile latest wrapper with older compiler (I hope it will work with Windows 10), or you need to include optional, older version (I think to add such option in my C1 tool).

I know MS dropped the support for XP, but since older systems are still in use and original C2 is for even older Windows, I think it should be supported out of a box. For example it's cool to setup network on Virtual Box under XP (which is available for free now, but there is a problem with activation under non Windows 7 systems - it can be run even on Linux), which doesn't require as much memory / power as newer systems, which may be critical if we want to run few instances of the virtual machines.

For the keyboard, as game prevent keys to be reused and some functions are not available from in game setup, I think including predefined WSAD and arrows key-bindings (which need to use external tool to set) is good idea. In CKB I have included such predefined key bindings, which if you like, you can try and customize.

For the joysticks/pads I like the analog control, but when "joystick" is not enabled, analog stick behave like buttons.

Cheers :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

The solution to the winmm.dll issue would be to include an additional folder that contains both versions, one that works with XP and one that works with newer operating systems, just keep the winmm.dll that's present in the game by default the one that works with newer operating systems, just for convenience.
classicdrogn
driver

Post by classicdrogn »

Does anyone happen to still have this, or know somewhere it's hosted? It sounds like a lot of fun. It looks like a lot of C2 stuff has vanished in just the past two or three years...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Damn, wasted/carmajunkies gone for good now. We have all the files but still have to upload it all back up again (once I'm done with the next CWA upgrade).

As for the Beta mod, I guess Razor will upload it back soon.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

classicdrogn wrote:Does anyone happen to still have this, or know somewhere it's hosted? It sounds like a lot of fun. It looks like a lot of C2 stuff has vanished in just the past two or three years...
I'm trying to sort out getting Carmajunkies back online, as soon as I do then everything will be available again.

If I'm able to find some time to upload the mod elsewhere then I will and will update this post.

Check who’s online