Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Nice trip down memory lane!

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
AdR
pimp

Nice trip down memory lane!

Post by AdR »

Geez, it's been a loooong while since I've browsed these forums or posted anything, how cool it is to see that the community it's still alive!

Ever since C2, I haven't found any other game worth messing with. I'm really looking forward to Carma Reincarnation, that'll be THE game to mod.

I would like to get back to doing stuff for C2, but I'm a bit outdated on that subject. It's been years since I've done anything. I remember some of the tools needed for it, but since I'm using 3dsmax, what's the best way to get a car in game from there? Is there anything new I should know? I remember using CarEd but that was crazy, Plaything2 was very buggy too. I have no idea if these will run on windows 7...?

Anyway, just wanted to say HI to those who remember me, and those who don't, well... :noob:

hehe, have a happy new year! :rockon:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Re: Nice trip down memory lane!

Post by Razor »

Welcome back, ADR!

I think PT2 is still the way to go with setting up vehicles for C2, though I'm sure Tosh will be able to chime in on this one with more details on easier processes if there are any (I still use PT2 for texture mapping for Christ's sake!)
Errol is working on the successor to PlayThing titled Flummery but it's in early stages of development and although it will read data from all of the Carmageddon games (1, 2, TDR, PS1, C:R) it currently only exports and saves in formats readable by Carmageddon Reincarnation.

Good to see you back though and I can't wait to see some of your new work!
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Hey ADR

Yah, I still use PT2 to compile, but Harmalarm has some tools to do everything within 3DSMax I believe.

Harmalarm's Carmatools

I haven't used it myself as I just use 3DSMax as an expensive file converter. Then use ASC2ASE and PT2.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Hola! Cómo vá?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

'Sup AdR!
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Good to see more familiar faces around!

For those who don't know, yes, I've been working in the gaming business for a while, most important games I've worked on were Frontlines: Fuel of War and Stuntman Ignition. There were other things, some console projects, worked on a local company for a couple of years but went bankrupt, and had the chance to be part of the Reincarnation team but I had to be living there.

Now I own a small stationery shop here in Buenos Aires, live in a nice neighborhood, married, and own two motorcycles and a car.

I've been selling 3D models over the years, and still do, this is my own shop:
http://www.archcars.net/

And some of my latest work can be found here:
https://www.behance.net/a3drstudio

Going back to carma stuff, been messing around with Harmalarm's scripts, so far they work but I need to figure out what's the problem that causes an error in C2. As soon as I sort that out, I can get back to do some stuff.
Attachments
c2ss.jpg
c2ss.jpg (228.24 KiB) Viewed 13697 times
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Heyy ADR,
Ive been meaning to ask you, since youre cars are awsome but slightly dated now? Ya know what I mean using C2 orignal glass texture etc,
I wonderd if you would let me release some mods of them, so I take youre cars, add a driver, simple model, higher resolution textures for parts, wheels tyres etc, also set the handling to handle like muscle cars and such, You would not be offended right? I did some before but lost them, and I really wanted to just bring them up to.. Not modern standurd, but kinda 'finish' little bits, would this be ok? I just dont know where to ask.

Secondly glad to see you are back, No good games to mod? what about GTA, they could use an actual car modler.. GTA is riddled with poor quality conversions, with lighting issues, missing textures, and silly wheels, theycoulda really used someone like you back in the san adreas era.

glad to see you are still around then, And hey you are gona mod CR? thats awsome, we need something to balanece out the supercar conversion crowd, and the simple model a car with no interior people :P so yeah welcome back to our community, I make stuff too now :P I was just a noob when you left.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Mad_Maxine wrote:I make stuff too now :P I was just a noob when you left.
Such modesty...
Ya. She makes 'stuff', alright...
Only the stuff she makes has *fuckin' (drool)TRAILERS!!!!!!111ONEONEONE*
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Yeah right, just "stuff" hehe, that video with the trailers is awesome!

I appreciate your comments on my work too, but you have gone a looong way since you started doing this, and you keep doing cool mods. I like the personal touch you put on everything.

Would be interesting to see what you can do with any of my cars, feel free to use them as you please, no big deal. Those models are over 10 years old! I'm glad someone is still paying attention to them.

Btw, something that kept me away from other communities too is that there are a LOT of kids with access to 3D programs now and they keep converting the same crap over and over again, now all the games have the same boring cars, all look the same.
Sims are boring (no crashes) and the last game that kept me entertained was Forza 4, but no PC, of course.
Street Racing Redline is cool too, has a good modding community but the game is full of bugs and has weird physics.
GTA? great games, fun to play, but for some reason, I've never bothered to mod.
Now I'm messing with BeamNG, is not easy but I'm slowly getting the hang of it, the damage physics there are probably the best there is out there nowadays.

Oh, btw, DB, have you done any motorcycles lately?
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

Deep_Blue wrote:
Mad_Maxine wrote:Now I own a small stationery shop here in Buenos Aires
Por dónde? Así te paso a saludar. :thumbsup:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah great to see you back in the game ADR! I've always been a fan of you models. Such high detail, even back in the old days. :)

You shop looks impressive. I read that some cars come with a turbo-smooth modifier for easy LOD access. Can you give an estimate of the polycount of the lowest levels? Or is this varying a lot?

I also was never really drawn to modding GTA, except for the Grandcarma mod I made back in 2010. It was crazy big and I never got to finishing it so a good enough level, but it got me to learn 3ds max in the process. Something I use on a daily basis in work now. :)

I still haven't been able to reproduce you problem by the way. I imported and directly exported a couple of cars but they all drove fine. Did notice some pivot issues with the wheels though, but this is related to the 'dirty' way some cars have been setup for the game.
DEMENTOR
demented bastard

Post by DEMENTOR »

Adr is back? that's a bit awesome. Quite humorous to hear you asking for modelling tips, as you were certainly the best modeller a few years back.
Hopefully American muscle is still your preferred choice of car. :grin:
Pretty cool to hear you also had the chance to work on C:R, but would be a massive life change for you I guess.
Good luck in finding your feet again on the modding scene. :smile:
<---- 1970 Plymouth Superbird (Richard Petty Replica) at Brooklands.
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Mastro 666 wrote: Por dónde? Así te paso a saludar. :thumbsup:
Guemes 3881, Palermo, C.A.B.A. :beer:

En Enero estamos de vacaciones, volvemos en Febrero.
Harmalarm wrote:Yeah great to see you back in the game ADR! I've always been a fan of you models. Such high detail, even back in the old days. :)

You shop looks impressive. I read that some cars come with a turbo-smooth modifier for easy LOD access. Can you give an estimate of the polycount of the lowest levels? Or is this varying a lot?

I also was never really drawn to modding GTA, except for the Grandcarma mod I made back in 2010. It was crazy big and I never got to finishing it so a good enough level, but it got me to learn 3ds max in the process. Something I use on a daily basis in work now. :)

I still haven't been able to reproduce you problem by the way. I imported and directly exported a couple of cars but they all drove fine. Did notice some pivot issues with the wheels though, but this is related to the 'dirty' way some cars have been setup for the game.
The models at ArchCars have around 24-30k at its lowest (complete). They can be a good solid base for a next-gen game model, but for a low poly model they need serious work.

I'll try your exporter with a clean install of C2. What are the options you're using? give me your email and I'll send you a test file to see what's going on.
DEMENTOR wrote:Adr is back? that's a bit awesome. Quite humorous to hear you asking for modelling tips, as you were certainly the best modeller a few years back.
Hopefully American muscle is still your preferred choice of car. :grin:
Pretty cool to hear you also had the chance to work on C:R, but would be a massive life change for you I guess.
Good luck in finding your feet again on the modding scene. :smile:
Thanks! but it's been a while since I've done anything Carma-related. Not modeling tips I need exactly, but technical boring stuff mostly.
And yeah, american classics is what I prefer for demolition style games. The only fun to have a rice-rocket in game, is to crush it with some heavy american metal!! :rockon:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

AdR wrote:The only fun to have a rice-rocket in game, is to crush it with some heavy american metal!! :rockon:
Quote of the year.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

In the meantime, as I'm figuring out with Harmalarm's what could be wrong with the 3dsmax export/import tool, I've been busy with BeamNG.

Throw in my old '68 Nova model to mess around, this is how it runed out:

Damn those mailboxes are tough...

Light poles aren't good friends, either:

and hubcaps can fly!

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Man, that looks great! So is it relatively easy to get a custom car setup??
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Thanks, and nope, is not easy at all. Though it has a certain "Carma" feel to it, as there's a lot of editing on notepad, coordinates, trial and error, etc.

Basically, the car is a bunch of bounding boxes connected together to make a structure, called jbeams:

The complicated part is that there isn't enough documentation to build such thing from scratch, so the best bet is to base it off one of the official vehicles, and take it from there. After spending a lot of hours testing, reading, writing, etc. I've finally got the hang of it, kind of.

It was worth it, that's for sure:

(there were 4 of those pinky vehicles :rockon:)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Heh! All looking very good in BeamNG :sbsmile: (poor Reliant Robins)
Also very good to see you're still around and coming back to your first loves!

Harm's maxscript is my life now, I use it every time and it's awesome to do proper actors etc. I still use PT2 to apply the optimize function though, or preprocess tracks. C1 modding still requires some hex editing.

About modding communities with kids lacking creativity, well, I'm afraid it's going to hit C:R very hard when it'll be released..! Best thing in my eyes is to go completely against the current... Carmageddon 1 old school modding :scool:
Which reminds me: do you still have that almost finished 64 pickup ratrod beauty?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Oh yeah! Almost forgot about that one! we need it in C1!!! :supercrazy:
64pickup.jpg
64pickup.jpg (124.85 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
64pickup2.jpg
64pickup2.jpg (90.92 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Definitely need it in C1!
Disc brakes are for cowards
This makes me think: have we ever tried to do an addon car that just can't brake?
Should be pretty easy!

Too bad we can't force powerups on cars a bit like Stella has constant electrobastardray. In this case we could even have added lead foot on such a brakeless car.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That's a sweet lookin' pickup!
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

Ok, I promise this one won't brake easily :thumbsup:

I'm dealing with some issue with the 3dsmax exporter right now, but once we get that fixed I can take it for a spin in c2 at least, then c1!
AdR
pimp

Post by AdR »

I like it in C2... if I can spend some time tomorrow, I'll work something out.
pickup.jpg
pickup.jpg (172.99 KiB) Viewed 13475 times

Check who’s online