Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Sketchup mappy-making-ness...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Sketchup mappy-making-ness...

Post by Deep_Blue »

So I started learning how Sketchup works. And kept at it....and at it...and at it....and........................Holy fook this thing is getting big..
There's two versions. One has an empty ICBM silo and a McLargeHuge bomb crater next to it (in the middle of the highway, of course), and the other version does not.
It occurs to me the the 'does not' version would prolly make a really good trucking map for Maxy's mod.

Anyways, comments/critiques.etc.
Tunnels....
Tunnels....
GULP.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
Empty ICBM silo
Empty ICBM silo
hole.jpg (29.03 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
Steel bridge over canyon
Steel bridge over canyon
Canyon.jpg (118.04 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Sketchup mappy-making-ness...

Post by Deep_Blue »

climb.jpg
climb.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
ICBM site and bomb crater in desert
ICBM site and bomb crater in desert
Pitfalls.jpg (50.79 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
Truck stop
Truck stop
town.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nother tunnel/canyon
Nother tunnel/canyon
canyon tunnel.jpg (37.37 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
on bridge.jpg
on bridge.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
Attachments
desert highway section
desert highway section
desert.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

I never really got into using Sketchup but recently its grown on me.

Looks great so far DB :thumbsup:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

total map so far:
so far.jpg
so far.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 10306 times
The empty areas are where tunnels traverse (only the inside needs to be visible) and where a car won't usually go. I tried to model only as far as where ya could see to from the road at any point.

This is all stuff that's just falling out of my head as I model stuff. I envision another mountainous area beyond the desert with a road climbing while circling a lake and gradually descending back down to the desert to complete a circuit.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

timmy76 wrote:I never really got into using Sketchup but recently its grown on me.

Looks great so far DB :thumbsup:

Once I figured out how to pay attention to the clues Sketchup gives me (lines changing color according to axis, marks appearing on parallel ends, etc. It just clicked.

If I can now figure out how to get maps in game (I did once, but it was only an arena (terrain-no peds/goodies), I should be all right.

I'll not use CarEd for maps prolly ever again.

This is my first serious Sketchup project. It was only supposed to be a lil' practice model....but it keeps growing. :eek:

If I can get it to work, it should be at least as big as the Max map (only twice as boring cause I dunno yet howta do the peds/smashies/tippies magic).

(OK, mebbe not *quite* that big....)

:grin:

Anyways.....I like big maps I can open 'er up and *drive* on. Feel like I'm going somewhere.
valley.jpg
valley.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 10305 times
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I like the map, Looks pretty damn sweet, I for some reson like tunnels.. and theres not enough of them..

Would you like a partner who can provide custom drones and pedestrians to the area? :3 because its not like im woring on many projects now >.>
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ya, Maxy! I'd love that.

But only if I can learn stuff from ya. ;)

(I wanna be able to do this stuff on my own. This weekend was "learn Sketchup" weekend.)

Do you use Sketchup?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Lookin good. That's great you did that without any help.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Ok, whos allready shitfaced?... Im kidna pissed I just lost radio signal and flogging molly was on,

Anyway, I can make peds and drones, at the sme time ill draw up some tutorials as I do it, so you can then learn peds and drones!, but im gona be recycling coffeys stuff again unless he objects.. so I guess its not 'new'

So eaither say here? or send me a pm, on what type of drones and peds you need to make this totally complete :P
Alex Self A 9
hit n run

Post by Alex Self A 9 »

Whoa, map looks good, So Sketchup is like an alternate Car ED or something? Whoa.
CARMAGEDDON 1 ALL DA WAY!

YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK Maxy. I sure appreciate anything ya wanna do.

Lemme see what this turns into and see if ya like it before I say any more.

@Coffey: Thanks man. That means something comin' from you. Actually you did help-quite a bit-what with explaining hills and the oval track tut and the stuff ya explained to me via email. I thank ye. :smile: I knew what it *should* do. The problem initially was learning *how* Sketchup wanted me to do it. I really like this method of just 'drawing' and stuff showing up. I still gotta lot to learn-including how to get what I make in Sketchup into PT2 and eventually ingame.

Didya get what I sent ya? (PM me.)

@ Alex: Sketchup is just another modeling program-but *way* easier and less tedious to make stuff in than CarEd. It can also handle bigger stuff (like tracks) than CarEd can. It was originally (as far as I know) for making buildings and terrain models for use in Google Earth, but where there's a will-there's a way.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

As far as getting it in game I still think you should do a small oval track or whatever as a dry run.

Yes got your link but not going to install anything on this old PC since I'm planning on getting rid of it.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Good. Glad ya got it. I'm running it and 'it's good.' :wink:

Heh. I took your advice the first time ya gave it to me and did a second install of Vanilla C2 just for experimentation purposes.

I'll be doing just that now that I have a way of making track models.

:thumbsup:

I did make an 'arena' type track once (very small and the whole thing was the inside of a big torus.) and get it ingame using PT2, so I know I can do that.

It's the other stuff that makes the map interesting I need to experiment with
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well you can test noncars and smashables on you oval. But whatever, do what you want. You'll figure it out.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup, JC.

I'mma workin' on doing just like that.

Yer right. Smaller, simpler stuff for testing purposes. Less time building and more time setting stuff up.

Meanwhile I'm having a blast learning how Sketchup works on this big mappy thing.
I suppose I better stop while it'll still mebbe fit something, eh?

:lol:

Honestly that's what this was supposed to be-but it grew feets of it's own and took off without me.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Got some more done-track makes a big circuit now.
Complete track
Complete track
wesmap.jpg (57.94 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
Some more detail:
Smalmart.jpg
Smalmart.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
Leaving Smalmart around the lake
Leaving Smalmart around the lake
Lake1.jpg (62.53 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Lake from other side:
Lake2.jpg
Lake2.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
Back to the desert:
dezview.jpg
dezview.jpg (51.45 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
dezcar.jpg
dezcar.jpg (62 KiB) Viewed 10183 times
All that's left in Sketchup is texturing the *underwater* part of the lake and a wander around touching up stuff I mighta missed.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Looks great. Have you tried getting in game yet? You don't have to wait until its complete to go for a spin. Be a good chance to catch any issues.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Cool looking, Much easyer than cared huh? ya, but im still too ignorant to learn skechup, making stuff is easy enough but getting it to C2, hm,

Anyway traffic, I was thinking like the odd pickup or such? hm, an dpeds, well you dont want to leave me incharge of that, itll be bad, like busty-asians-bad, but I will still make some ped, and drone tutorials, Im currently wating till you reach a more compleate state. as im working on my other mods :P

This will probly remain my home, 'Modernise', modern, new, supercar, those words are being thrown around too much on the other site, I think modding will provide a bunch of soul-less modern bmws and audis to be honist, Us dinosaurs need to stick togeather!

I like seeing the progress tho, keep it up db, Question tho, is there going to be anything in the large deserty area I see there?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, Coffey. I was thinking like you were and tried to export it out and see how to get it ingame.

Fired up Sketchup pro and exported the .3ds
Tried to import the .3ds in Max 2 and then in Max 3 and still got an error similar to this:
assert failed.jpg
assert failed.jpg (8.56 KiB) Viewed 10158 times
Although it went a bit farther in Max 3 than in 2. Max 2 failed at 532, Max 3 failed at this one.

I have *no* idea what's wrong. Mebbe something buggered on export. I'll try again from the beginning of the export.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I don't know what that error is. I don't know anything about 3DSMax. I use it as the world's most expensive file converter app. But when I do get errors or wacky results, it's usually one of these:

Make sure the export options for 3DS are set correctly in SketchUp Pro. When I get home tonight I'll take a pic of what settings I have.

Are you using SketchUp components in your map? Components are great because you can paste a bunch of copies onto your map and if you need to edit them you just have to edit one and the change gets passed to all the copies.

BUT!
For me, sometimes components would screw with the hierarchy or mess with textures. So when it comes time to export I 'explode' all components and groups. (even though it seems like you 'flattened' everything, the hierarchy will be there in PT2)

Easiest way is 'Select All', right-mouse click on an object 'explode'. Repeat until you don't see any group bounding boxes.

If you are still working on map then use a copy SKP for exporting.
Or just make sure after you exploded and exported you DO NOT SAVE the SKP so you have your groups and components intact.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Apparently there's still some aspects of all this I don't quite understand yet.

Firstly-Thanks for replying so quickly.
Secondly.....*AAAAAAAAGH! Ma head A-Splode*

OK.

Your Sketchup settings would be great to compare mine with. maybe I'm just not setting the file up right for export. I DID manage to export my .skp as .3ds

Max will only open it til it hits line 534 of *3dsimp.cpp* whatever that is.
No model is displayed in Max. Having done some research, I found that sometimes hitting 'retry' a bunch of times will cause the corrupted/whatever entity to be skipped and render the rest. No dice.

I also exported from Sketchup Pro as .dae (I know, I know, but whadda I got to lose?)
I got it to open in Blender (albeit without textures (that are stored in a separate folder).

Blender exports .3ds but Max doesn't recognize it. So much for that idea.

I don't quite get the 'exploded components/groups' thing. (never occurred to me) I could use an education on how and why to do that.

I already figured on using a copy of the .skp so I'd have backup if I screwed the file. (And I *planned* on screwing up the file experimenting) :wink:

If you mean by 'Sketchup components' things like arcs and rectangles-yes. I started with a rectangle or two and a bunch of arcs. Otherwise I dunno what ya mean by Sketchup components. Clarification, please?

Lemme try your suggestions and I'll letya know what happens.

It'd be a shame to have a cool terrain model I can't get loaded in anything else to make useable.

EDIT*
OK, I opened the skp in SKPro. Hit 'select all', blue lines showed up around everything-right clicked on blue lines and picked 'explode.' All blue lines disappeared. Exported as .3ds

No joy. Same error in Max.

Shit.

(I DID manage to export and open in Max a smaller, earlier version of my map that only had 19 textures (mostly untextured/unfinished model). It worked flawlessly with the right textures in the right places.

Could the 'size' of the model/amount of textures have something to do with it?
Partial map loaded in 3ds Max with Sketchup export report:
partmap.jpg
partmap.jpg (87.38 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Fully modeled map in Sketchup with export report:
Fullmap.jpg
Fullmap.jpg (81.73 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
So far I cannot yet get the .3ds of the finished map to import in Max.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Why so many textures? 448? Are you making everything unique? Do your exported TIFs have duplicates with slightly different names? Maxed Out only had 140 or so if I remember right??

I don't think size is problem. Maxed Out! was bigger. This is why I suggested multiple times to make some small, complete maps to mess with.

Let me check settings tonight.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Just looked at the Maxmap tiff folder. There's 385 images in there, so 447 ain't so bad, I guess.

Apparently when using the eyedropper tool in Sketchup-every instance counts as a separate texture. (makes sense-all 447 instances show up as separate textures in the exported image folder along with the .3ds file-mostly roads and trees and mountains). I used the eyedropper through most of the map to keep the imports down to a reasonable level.
No unique textures atall. Every time I imported a texture-Once it was positioned right, I eyedroppered it as far as I needed it-and if another end of the map needed it too, I sucked it up from where it already was on the other end and applied it with the eyedropper where I needed it.

The only time I imported a new image was when I needed one that I hadn't already imported into the file, in which case I used textures off the net and resized them to standard Carma tif sizes before using them.

OK, I thought the size wasn't the problem, but wanted to make sure.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I use eye dropper all the time and it doesn't create new instance for me. Are you saying in tiffrgb there are multiple versions of a texture that Sketchup exports? i.e. sand01.tif, sand02.tif, sand03.tiff and so on with all of them just duplicates? Because that is not a good thing.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Um... Not exactly duplicates. I had to do a lot of texture positioning (lil bits here and there and sometimes almost every (eyedropper instance) texture. If the lines went straight on an axis-the eyedropper just set them down straight and smooth, but if a line angled off-axis, I hadda reposition it. (road textures, an every so often mountain or treeline texture that either gradually went askew or showed up sideways when I eyedroppered it. Every time I repositioned a texture-Sketchup made a new one. Also every eyedropper instance *without repositioning* created a new texture, like so: (from the exported .3ds materials folder)
each time I used the eyedropper-it created another texture-even though I was just iterating one texture as evidenced  by the number of like textures.
each time I used the eyedropper-it created another texture-even though I was just iterating one texture as evidenced by the number of like textures.
eyedroppertexs.jpg (32.83 KiB) Viewed 10122 times
I only imported four road textures. One vertical and one horizontal with dashed lines and one vertical and one horizontal with solid yellow lines. I used them for the whole map-just hadda reposition a lot of them. Starting to sound like something I did wrong...

All these images are in the images folder exported with the .3ds from Sketchup.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Well you only needed one double yellow line and one passing lane texture. You must be skewing them when you rotate.

It's not the end of the world but you end up with more TIFs than necessary and kill any chance of reskinning at a later date. What if you wanted a " winter" version? You should be able to just edit ONE road tiff not 20 skewed versions.

I don't manually rotate and position road textures. I let Sketchup do the work that's why I made tutorial.
http://coffey.polygonized.com/MacCarpoc ... Roads.html
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

But...ya *hafta* reposition the textures. (I understand the only needing one of each instead of two now). Otherwise they wander off on weird angles when the road veers.

Well I went and d/led a ruby plugin that allows me to remove all the textures (just to see what happened-it also has an "undo".)

Exported the untextured model as .3ds and loaded flawlessly in Max. exported to .ase

Wanted to see if it was the textures causing the trouble. Apparently it was.

At the very least I can wipe all the textures and start fresh skinning it and see if it works any better the next time.

I read your tut and didn't understand how to do it at the time because I didn't have any curbs on curves to pull up (and put back down after). If I pull up the edge of the road (line), I end up skewing the road component completely.

I repositioned a lot because when texturing treelines and roads (even straight ones), the textures would eventually and gradually wander off the road and I'd hafta straighten them out-apparently creating yet another texture in the process. Sometimes when eyedroppering, the trees would instance weird and off-kilter and I'd hafta straighten them.

Like I said-it's something *I'm* doing wrong (or not doing right). I just dunno what yet.
Attachments
Map w/ no textures in MAX
Map w/ no textures in MAX
untexmap.jpg (24.1 KiB) Viewed 10118 times
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Read edit post above.

Hate to see you start over texturing, but if you do maybe add some, test, add more, test again?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup. I read it.

At the time I didn't understand how to do that because I don't have any curbs on my map.
(Mebbe I still don't).
A couple of curves I could draw a connected shape alongside the edge of the curve and pull that up. That worked like your tut. Others where there is nothing to pull up alongside the road without screwing up things-well...I hadda position the textures..'Same with the trees.

I suppose now that I can wipe all the materials at once-I can try again using a different method of applying them.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

coffeycup wrote:Read edit post above.

Hate to see you start over texturing, but if you do maybe add some, test, add more, test again?

Yeah. I like that idea. Mebbe I tried to do too much too fast. Got ahead of meself.

If I'm gonna hafta start reskinning it again-I suppose that'd be the best way-little bit at a time and test. :wink: Thanks for your input on this. I *would* appreciate knowing what your Sketchup setting are when ya get a chance-seeing as they work.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

If you've hot no curbs pull the road section up instead. Texture sides, bring texture to top then push roads back down to original position.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah. OK. Works either way, eh? Nice.

Well...just screwing around I got the model ingame. Well sorta. heh.

(I started reskinning the untextured model and only used four textures so far and figured I'd chuck it in to see what's up).

Aside from everything's black and the car only goes so far before the camera stops...It's in there.

I have a tiffrgb folder in the race folder and I have one in the folder I used ASE2ASC on. What? I have to reskin in PT2 as well?

(This is the dumb "take for granted" stuff I don't know yet.)

I feel like Stevie Wonder drivin' around..

Comical, it is:
Roses are black, violets are black...Muhfuggah EVERYTHING'S black! I can't SEE!!!
Roses are black, violets are black...Muhfuggah EVERYTHING'S black! I can't SEE!!!
WTF.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 10107 times

EDIT*

OK, as soon as I import the .asc into PT2, everything is black. (During import, PT2 is asking for materials I haven't added yet).

Hence the blackness in the game. WTF? Whattamidoinwrong?

(I know I sound like a total n00b, but bear with me-I am (at this).
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I don't understand half what you're saying or why you're having problems.

When you import .ASC

there's your new "DBmap" folder
inside is:

DBmap.asc
DBmap (mat file)
and a TIFFRGB folder with the TIFFS
PT2 expects textures to be in TIFFRGB folder

after you save there's also

DBmap.sdf
DBmap.act
DBmap.dat

you make a DBmap.txt

SO, I thought you said you had gone through the steps to set up a small map? Guess not?

Check who’s online