Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Max Autos [Euro Trucks]

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Jaw_Breaker
driver

Re: Max Autos [World War Wednesday]

Post by Jaw_Breaker »

Awesome C1 cars, Maxine! You're just getting better & better.

Well, sorry about my Daihatsu Xenia post on that thread. I regret it so much. So I "delete" that post & pretend it never existed. :crazy:

Keep up your good work! Sorry for the mess I've created.
Last edited by Jaw_Breaker on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discord: SDY2205#3474
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Oh your still here?

Well I saw the fact you hadent made a post this year and assumed that you were no longer around.. Ive seen way too much of people requesting something and then leaving communitys that I dident want to make something for someone who potentially wasent here.

Hm, since youre still here tho I guess Ill have to go back do it.. As long as you were not joking?..
Jaw_Breaker
driver

Post by Jaw_Breaker »

Well, I still stumble across this community, though I stopped posting anything for a while.

Whenever you want to do me a favor or not, it's up to you. But I promise I won't make any stupid jokes from now.
Discord: SDY2205#3474
Alex Self A 9
hit n run

Re: Max Autos [Truckin' Tuesday]

Post by Alex Self A 9 »

Mad_Maxine wrote:About the request thing, im going to have to revise how this works, so Ill make a topic on it sometime over the weekend, Tomrow will be the last day of my Car a day, for a week thing, so after that Im probly going to have a little time off modding, Mabye a day.. mabye a week, Depends how I feel, this is making me feel slightly tierd tho..
So ya, after that ill make a topic, talking about how it works for anything people may want, Also Ill have to go back Visit the topic over at the Other carma site,
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/25718
Can you do that on CWA, carma.com hate me.

BTW, did you ever take the idea to admore my 'Rax Dog' Request?
CARMAGEDDON 1 ALL DA WAY!

YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Its.. that day,
Thirties Thursday, wich is also the Last day of my week of cars.
been a fun ride, Seems like its been going for a while.. Now I guess I need to go tweek what I have made, sometimes I was half asleep while making this and have made some mistakes, For one, the Roller seems to crash my game when it apears as an opponent.. I need to look into that, Anybody have that problem? Woudl be nice if you post any Major bugs here.. you know Game braking bugs, Not.. the mirror is offset slightly or anything..

anyway Heres what we have today..

1932 Ford Tudor Hotrod.
I love hotrods, and I found this unusual burgundy colored one, I kept accurate to the real life model in terms of wheels and all.. im slightly dissopointed in how lowres it came out looking tho Mabye ill try get a more detailed skin on this one, the model is the right shape. despite not being high poly. just the skin dosent do it justice I feel.

1930 Ford Model A Pickup
This is one I fell in love with, its kindof a mild. hotrod, custom, Its not in your face, it has a nice subtle paintjob, and the body is very mildly customised. I liked it so much I had to make it. as you may see its morphed form the same model as the 32 ford above, as are all my car-a-day cars.

http://demontailmods.webs.com/c1-cars-2

I hope you enjoyed the time, I did but then again I seem to enjoy making anything..

11 Cars in 7 days,

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

And whats my favorite moment? well its kidna tough, I really like the F1, The chevelle, and the Model A pickup,.. But my favorite car of the week... Has to be. the GSX, Its one of the btter quality models ive done, the interior view is nice, and it just works well, The ford F1 and model A truck folowing in a close second, But atleast I dont disslike anything here. Usually in a pretty big critic of my own work. and well With the exception of the corvette, everythign seems ok to me..

but now.. lets take a moment to think about the cars that did not make it.

Seventies Sunday:
this day was also ment to have a chevelle Pro street dragster, However this was done late, and a ton of errors with it means I never fully finished it, The hood is also modeld but only in cared format.

World War Wednesday:
A Hummer was also soposed to acompany the truck into this day, But I was so distracted on the day It never got past the Idea stage.

Thirties Thursday:
1934 ford hortrod, another shape squeezed out of the first model I did, its too late to finish this now, I have to work later tonight, and need sleep before work,

I guess two cars a day is my limit, I just couldent quite hit 3,

So thats all folks, I will make the topic regarding projects other may want, tho you will have to stay behind the ones I allready said id do,
Good day, have a good eavning, Ill see yall tomrows,
<3 Max.
Alex Self A 9
hit n run

Re: Max Autos [Thirties Thursday]

Post by Alex Self A 9 »

Hey maxine, you still gonna take our requests? (you allowed us requests)...

...Specifically, My RAX DOG REQUEST. (if you remember.)
CARMAGEDDON 1 ALL DA WAY!

YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW
Hairba11
turbo bastard

Post by Hairba11 »

stellar work in such a short time frame. my biggest fear is not seeing anything else for a month :beer:
i really like the f1 and A-pickup. although i will have to try the m35 as i've got one of those to drive around in real life. slow, bouncy, loud, understeers but does it ugly, slow and underpowered with a hole in the gear ratios where they took a 5 speed direct drive trans, and made it an overdrive by replacing 4th with OD so you get 12356 instead of 12345, and slow.
If it runs, drives, stops, has a title, AND is under $300, I'll take it!
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Mad_Maxine wrote:Now I guess I need to go tweek what I have made, sometimes I was half asleep while making this and have made some mistakes, For one, the Roller seems to crash my game when it apears as an opponent.. I need to look into that, Anybody have that problem? Woudl be nice if you post any Major bugs here.. you know Game braking bugs, Not.. the mirror is offset slightly or anything..
I have trayed cars to "51 F1" so far.

"72 K20" and "00 Corniche" crashing game when running with Win95 exec, working only with DOS exec (lo-res for me).

Sometime something happened with opponents wheels:
Opponents cars broke down
Opponents cars broke down
DUMP0006.png (48.04 KiB) Viewed 12423 times
Your cars using files from other cars, so this maybe the reason?
This probably happened when your car is randomed with one which parts are used.
When parts names are match game using parts loaded first.
So this maybe just not unique names problem, I think.

Another thing - it looks like windows areas are placed together with textures (on same surface) - this cause flickering - it is extremely visible when camera is high above car - for example good visible on "51 F1".
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I knew the bently allways crashed the game when as an opponent I was going to look at that, the other errors I have never seen before.

Im going to go back and change the actor name of a few things, because the.. Chevelle-GSX, Belair-Mainline, were the same model. The ford pickup and sedan hotrod were the same model But I changed the actor names on those. hmm.

Ill post when I have updated.

Hairyballs- Do not fear! Next I want to try make a more high detailed car for C2, The cadillac, 37 chevry truck, jeep, impala wagon, and all that was cool but I want to go all ADR/Slayer and model a correct detailed engine, interior and suspension parts.

I still love.. Love, my old trucks im really into them again at the moment because ive possibly been looking at getting a Chevry 3100 with my savings, I havent had a good classic for a while I had a money issue, but now that ive got all that saved up again I want to go to carshows so ive been constantly checking whats for sale.. anyway thats another story.

The possible trucks I was going to make were one of these..

1949 Chevrolet 3100
Looks allmost identical to the 47 that I made, only I have much more knowlage on this now.

1957 Chevrolet 3100
Ive allways loved this style, This is a possible one.

1958 Chevrolet Apache
Both the 3100s were stepsides, this I would model as not one. just cuz' Its another I really liek the style of tho.

1953 Ford F100
One of the trucks I was looking at was a green F100, tho I dont rember the year, Im still considering going to see it in person..

1959 Ford F100
A fleetside truck, A lot of people think it lost its good looks in the later 50s, But I still like this butch looking machine.

1966 Chevrolet C10
the look of this has allways charmed me for some reson. Its another ive been looking at, but they seem strangly expencive. I guess they were more collectable than I reolised, the prices seemed to be in the same area as decent 50s trucks.

So there ya go. What woudl you guys sugest from that list? I love all of them :P really I do.
Please note, I will be working on this After I take a look at the C1 car errors.

EDIT:
Bently Re-uploaded, now works as opponent, was a faulty engien sound oddly.

Ford F100 re-uploaded, hood model renamed diffrent to car model.

And sorry QTZ, Ive reloaded the game multiple tyime, Drove the GNX, the Chevelle, had them in the race togeather. had them both as opponents. Havent seen any wheel errors. Everything other than what I fixed works. All cars aparently Do have diffrent model names. It looks like I did that (was too tierd dident rember) so I cant see what your seeing, tried in lores too. Cant use it in dos. so havent done that. As far as I can tell theres no issues. so I dont know what happend.

Few tests later, K20 crashes the game as an opponent. I first thought it was same problem as the Roller, but I have no idea what it is now as fixing that dident work.

Another Edit:
actully cut that, The rols royce crashes the game again, but it did work after I changed the sound for a little, the K20 still crashes the game, you can drive them both but when there as opponents for me it crashes... I cant find anything wrong but I dont really know what im lookign at.
This is starting to feel like it was a mistake..
and all it gives me is this
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I seem to remember that if ya run Carma in low-res sw mode, it'll give ya actual error messages when it takes a dump.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I will take a look at updated cars soon.

I'am testing this with Win 95 SP exec in hires mode and occasionally with DOS exec (lo-res only for me). DOS versions are less sensitive to errors. It can be running from Windows even without DOSBox - sound just need to be disabled in DOS setup.

Now some more tests with yesterday versions:

"30 Model A"
- same problem with flickering as in some other cars
window flickering on whole texture (view from player car)
window flickering on whole texture (view from player car)
DUMP0001.PNG (6.92 KiB) Viewed 12377 times
- bonnet model is actually whole car, which cover big part of mirror view

"M35 A"
- same problem with bonnet, but also left and right views are partially covered and we can see front glass on right view

"32 Tudor"
- typo in readme.txt - short car name is "Tufor"

File names longer than 8.3:

"51 F1":
CKPT51F1F.PIX
CKPT51F1L.PIX
CKPT51F1R.PIX

"32 Tudor":
32FTUDORH.act
32FTUDORH.dat

"63 Crovette":
CKPTVETEF.PIX
CKPTVETEL.PIX
CKPTVETER.PIX

Also network availability for this car is set to "never"

All cars except for "M 35A" are set to "not stealworthy"

Two files are too long (cause error in some tools):

"70 Chevelle":
CKPTCVLR.PIX

"70 GSX":
CKPTGSXR.PIX

Are 370754 Bytes, should be 369674 Bytes

There is no "bounding box" like models, so in simplified mode we have different cars shapes there. I don't know if game actually using those models for calculating or just to display, so can't say it's important or not.

There are other smaller things previously listed for first cars.

Edit: Today tested all cars with C1 game (not meld or SP), Win95 exec only:

70K20 - crash as for meld version (no matter as player or opponent) - disabled
00Corniche - "Can't load model file 'BUGATTIX.DAT' (or it's empty)" - disabled (so not tested yet if sound fix completely solved crash problem)
M35A - "Can't load model file 'SEMIX.DAT' (or it's empty)" - disabled
Midget - missing MUGFOB.FLI set temporarily to MIDGET.FLI - tested then
(So actually those three are SP cars)

51F1 - It look like using same model for hood as for car, so I don't think this was necessary to made it name unique to car model (?) (if it simplified or something this probably may be required then).

Wheels problem still present, however whole day I only seen Midget wheels come to Bobbys car (both cars are opponents, this not happened to player car - best is to drive with one of default cars and look at opponents - I think when at least two of your cars are in play):
Midget wheels on
Midget wheels on
DUMP0002.PNG (15.47 KiB) Viewed 12359 times
No one else seen this problem with wheels?

Edit2: I have found where problems laying:

70K20 - the problem is in car main text file - 72K20.TXT - in lines from 130 to 133:

Code: Select all

4,11,-1,-1								// Left-front suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
3,12,-1,-1								// Right-front suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
6,13									// Left-rear suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
5,14									// Right-rear suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
I have changed the values 11,12,13,14 to -1,-1,-1,-1 and it started to work.

00 Corniche - The sound fix is ok, but it's not enough - 00BNT.TXT - It's look like you have based it on buggy version of BUGGIT.TXT, so here is same solution as for Bugutti / Sled in line 134:

Code: Select all

11,-1,2,1								// Driven wheels GroovyFunkRefs (for spinning) - MUST BE 4 ITEMS
I changed 11 to -1.

This fixing crashing problems with Win95 exec (for player and for opponent).
To avoid crash with DOS (GOG version) all too long filenames need to be shorted to 8.3.
Last edited by QTZ on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Rah, this is what working in the early hours does to you.. its sunday And I cant sleep.. I really wanted to stay in bed till like.. 8.. or 10.. or mabye mid day..

Anyway file names? ah, I dident know that, Thank you for informing me ill play with the file names a bit and see if anything works out. also ill put a disclamer on site.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Sorry for talking again and again about 8.3... I will cut the file names for you and correct some other things (not adding anything) - you may use it then or not as you want. Next thing to fix is that wheel issue. I think for beginning you need to check Midget and "30 Model A" cars since there is known conflict there... To test that kind of issue network mode is perfect, but need more than two players to choice two cars more than our... But now better try to sleep.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

QTZ wrote:

Sometime something happened with opponents wheels:
The attachment DUMP0006.png is no longer available
Your cars using files from other cars, so this maybe the reason?
This probably happened when your car is randomed with one which parts are used.
When parts names are match game using parts loaded first.
So this maybe just not unique names problem, I think.
Yup. Some of my early C1 cars do that only when they run as opponents. The wheels textures will look off-kilter and they will rotate *around* the wwheel positions instead of *at* them.
Dump0013.jpg
Dump0013.jpg (43.07 KiB) Viewed 12328 times
Makes for some pretty comical displays, I tells ya. :lol:

I think it's because I re-used files between cars.

Also, I'm running C1 in HW_mode and my resolution looks like shite.
I know C1 ain't that great at hires, but this blocky/pixel-y stuff is crap.
How are you guys getting such a smooth display? I know my skins are rough. (I use PSP 7 and it sucks but it was free.)
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I shall have to try some DB cars!,
Back then I dident even know how to install them

But todays note!, The rollsroyce, and K20 have been uploaded with fixes. They now work as opponents yeararh
Also new skins are avalible in the skins page.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Goin' ta git 'em now. /me likes me some ol' Chevys.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah! I see I'm having the same problem as QTZ with the wheels on the K20 when it is an opponent. They're...uh....gone. No crashing th game atall tho. The roof and window textures don't seem to show up...

Heheh. No big deal. Looks better than my cars that turn into origami with ferris wheels on 'em when they get hit.

:lol:

we gots ta git that crush data sorted out somehow...

Also, my C1 cars sometimes start out a race with the wheels orbiting their centers instead of spinning when they're opponents....I suppose that has to do with the shared files.
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

https://qtz.cwaboard.co.uk/Maxine_12_Cars_Pak.7z

Fixed most problems (all file and crash problems), except for things listed below (most 3D stuff)

What is changed to fix the problems:
- MIDGET.TXT EBONNET.ACT->BRATBON.ACT (file from my patch added)
- MIDGET added mug shot (face only)
- For CORNICHE and M35A added note that those cars require Splat Pack files
- MAINLINE texture edited - whell replaced with pure black
- CKPTK20F.PIX - removed solid gray above mirror in front view, set correct mirror position in txt
- All car numbers set to match years (cars apper less often since there is no scums now)
- FORD F1 unlocked (Strength rating was set to -1)

Not fixed / added, but listed previously:
- wheels switching
- flickering for most cars (Midget II window effect is the same problem)
- mirror or side views covered by car models used as bonnet
- no bounding box models
- Chevrolet Belair - bonnet crack
- Midget II - bad looking one sided sprite mirrors
- damage indicators outside

Everything else not listed here, but listed in my previous posts is corrected.

Edit: file re-uploaded with current fixes.
Last edited by QTZ on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Well ya were too late, Allready updated the K20, and bently so they dont crash, and allready had moved the mirror position..

I cobbled this togeather tho. basic one view interior (no left or right) no hands, no spedo, etc just a simple view, uses dash view from NFS3

Its aged kinda well really. would you belive that this car is now 21 years old? I rember this being the newest latest aston when I was a kid.. anyway

1993 Aston Martin DB7
http://demontailmods.webs.com/

Just a quick something I decided to make today. I may nolonger be doing a car A day. but it was a good enough education to mean I can make a car.. every once in a while now.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

I'm speechless! Your work is amazing!, you are incredibly talented. :thumbsup:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I fixed much more than this and archive is now updated to current versions, please try it Maxine.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice work, Maxy!

Now...Please tell me HOW IN THEE HAYUL are your C1 graphics not all myopic-looking?

This is what I see in C1:
Dump0012.jpg
Dump0012.jpg (19.71 KiB) Viewed 12299 times
Blurry, blocky crap. (Yes, that is a motorcycle in C1 ;) )

That nicely detailed grille on your K20 doesn't even display correctly because it has blur lines through it on my machine...

What's the trick?

I'm running an Acer Aspire One netbook that runs a lot of games nicely. (Doom 3 even). No matter what machine I've run C1 on, it looks crap.

Are you running stock or using a glide wrapper.....what?

EDIT* Nebbermind...Mastro just hooked me up with a solution that works goodly:
Dump0022.jpg
Dump0022.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 12286 times
NOW I can see that grille in all it's glory. (Running in a 1024x600 window on my netbook.)

Thanks, Mastro. You rock, man. :rockon:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@Deep_Blue
Press "+" key to expand view :) To get even bigger resolution you may use this modified exec (require text files to be in text form or MaxPack/GOG). This (made manual backup of your exec first) and this also may be interesting for you (if you have not used this already).

To get rid of "origami" like models after hit you just need to replace CRUSH DATA with null - look at Maxine text files for example.

Motorcycle from screen have actually 4 wheels...

I like Swamp rat, I made menu fli for it currently included in Mastro's SE with my patch (swamp rat files are present there, but unused). This car unfortunately have wheels issue (very rarely visible) - best to see in OpenC1 - wheels rotating around car as on your screen-shot... same happened with Mastro's custom cars...

BTW: MSE is most stable meld mod win version (DOS version is removed - don't know why since I have fixed it - anyway it's easy to add it manually) - I have fixed all critical text bugs there (with latest patch) and many other issues - it's very good for testing.

Back to topic - here is different - wheels rotating correctly but switched to different moved and scaled down.

My yesterday fix for Maxine cars allow to play HW/DOS/GOG-DOSBox with all cars.

@Mad_Maxine
I am curious which version you are using, because you say that game crash only with cars as opponents, but for me it crash no matter if it is player or opponent?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, well right now C1 is displaying correctly without any crashing issues. Still haven't figured out the wheel issues yet.

Hmm... What is 'carma_dlls?'

I know the motorcycle has 4 wheels-everything has 4 wheels. :wink:

I just modeled the two left wheels at center of x-axis and defined the right two wheels in the same places without any models.

I'll check out the stuff ya posted when I get a chance-taking a short break from work right now.

:rockon:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Fantastic work, Maxine :saston:
Quick and fun addons are the best!

These mishaps with the wheels are simply caused by the fact their models are named FRWHEEL.DAT, FLWHEEL.DAT, etc. It causes no problem in C2 but in C1, models are shared in memory. So the last same-named model loaded in memory will overwrite the other models sharing the same name. You have to rename the models to unique model identifiers, like 30FA_FRW.DAT, 30FA_FLW.DAT, etc. BUT actors must still be named FLWHEEL.ACT, FRWHEEL.ACT. So you need to use PT2's SHIFT+G renaming tool.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up.

I never used PT2 in any of the C1 car process. Mebbe I better learn how...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

D_B, you could as well just hex edit the ACT and DAT files and edit the references to the wheel models.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Sorry to sidetrack your thread, Maxy....

But I gotta ask....Tosh...Would that be the same as 'grouping' differently named wheel components in CarEd, but naming the wheel groups "FRWHEEL, FLWHEEL...' etc.?

Trying to understand how C1 uses this info.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@Toshiba-3
Thank you Toshiba for the tip. Is this really fix orbiting wheels too? Not tested, but I think this may be different kind of bug?

I'm thinking about this little different. You say this overwrite memory with last loaded file. I think game is smart and load only first file then skip loading files with same name to save memory. It look like they do that in purpose, so I don't think this is so kind of overwrite bug. But in other side there is so many bugs. Your way of thinking save memory too, but require to read data each time when actually expect the same data.

What about flickering on windows? It looks like textures "fighting" with "silver" glass (It is visible from distance).

What about simplified models? Are they important? Is game calculating collision based on those models? It look like collisions are not correctly detected (not big deal, but...).

@Deep_Blue
carma_dlls are Hifi's wrappers for dx (ddraw.dll, ddraw.ini), net (wsock32.dll) and ogg music (winmm.dll & lib*.dll). Here is info about older version (wav files may be compressed with mp3). Current version use ogg files instead of wav. Just copy dlls you need to your C1 directory (optional ogg music) and run win95 exec. You may also need to edit ini file.

PS. Some cars have more wheels than 4, for example Blood Mixer linked below :)

@Mad_Maxine
I have tested DB7. It work as player and as opponent.

However I corrected few tiny things and made some changes to fix interior display:
- I have moved pratcam to right side - like in Blood Mixer, but I made it lo-res compatible (leaved non visible right frame) and corrected one pixel shift. Now mirror is uncovered.
- Set positions to speed and gear displays - it was set to "none", but still visible at corner. I think to make use of cockpit analogs, but I'm too tired now.
- Set to "stealworthy" - it means player can obtain this car during play, when set to "not stealworthy" it cannot be achieved. They do such setting for cars without own interiors and allow them as cheat only.

Also removed copy of grid icon (this is not a bug or problem, but there is no need to put copy of grid car icon to DATA\64X48X8\PIXELMAP\ directory, since that icon is only for lo-res menu and game doesn't load that kind of files from hi-res dir), made grid icon "frame" smaller, corrected pix names and size, corrected comments and remove EOL garbages in text file.

I have not fixed wheels issue.

Edit:
Pratcam on right in external view is actually covered with APO, but better for internal...

Maybe this is too much, but I have tested all that cars with Open C1:
4 crashing (3 are not visible even in menu) - M35A.TXT, 00BNT.TXT, 56C1MAIN.TXT, AMDB7.TXT (this one is visible). The crash log says: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." I guess this must be same problem as for two already fixed cars, but not show up with original game exec.

Open C1 is good as debugger :)
Attachments
C1DB7.7z
(68.92 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

'K Thanks, QTZ.

I tried running the dlls (after I disabled D3D Windower) and the first problem I had was the game ran but was so small in the center of my desktop my half-century-old eyeballs couldn't see it too good.

Another problem I had was I'm running Tosh's C1/SP melt. It uses a "CARMA95.exe" and the whole setup was looking for "CARM95.exe" so that caused all kinds of no go and I had to go back to using D3D Windower to see the game in 1024x600.

@Maxy: Just an FYI-I had to change the 'number of text chunks' in the opponent info bits for all your cars to '2' because they were set at '0' (All MY cars' info bits have '2') and caused C1 not to load at all. (Debug wipeout).

Once I did that, everything ran smoothly.

I am currently making a C1 vehicle and will try to test out the 'different wheel component names' thing.

Yer cars are awesome, Maxy! Good looking and awesome handling!
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

@Deep_Blue
To set to default rename or delete ddraw.ini or just edit options there.
Tosh meld version is "as is" and it crash in certain situations, however not contains any customizations, so it's closest to original game.
"Whole setup"? You mean always hires patch? Look like it working only with original Max Pack win 95 exec. So I made my version for MSE & MELD for you (Hifi's patch data used blindly, just fitted, but working). Else just use "CARMA95.exe -hires" instead.

I have no idea why you may need to set "Number of text chunks" to 2 when there is no text lines to copy (even mug flics are not ready to display text) - it should crash then... maybe you have spaces or something below each cars entries?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

QTZ wrote:@Toshiba-3
Thank you Toshiba for the tip. Is this really fix orbiting wheels too? Not tested, but I think this may be different kind of bug?

I'm thinking about this little different. You say this overwrite memory with last loaded file. I think game is smart and load only first file then skip loading files with same name to save memory. It look like they do that in purpose, so I don't think this is so kind of overwrite bug. But in other side there is so many bugs. Your way of thinking save memory too, but require to read data each time when actually expect the same data.

What about flickering on windows? It looks like textures "fighting" with "silver" glass (It is visible from distance).

What about simplified models? Are they important? Is game calculating collision based on those models? It look like collisions are not correctly detected (not big deal, but...).
Yes it will probably fix the orbiting wheels. Those wheel models weren't the ones that car had to use, probably come from another car because of the issue I explained. (and that other car had no proper actoring)

No idea if it overwrites memory or just skip the rest once "one of a kind" is loaded. Difficult to say but doesn't change a thing to the consequence.

Flickering window up there is due to the engine's 3d approximation in the distance. The rear window seems to be a larger plane than it needs to be and with the distance it overlaps with the surrouding polys forming the rear of the cab.

IMO OpenC1 isn't a good medium for debugging as it introduced its own bugs when loading/rendering data.

@D_B: You just had to rename CARMA95.EXE to CARM95.EXE ;__;
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

LOL. I already renamed it, Tosh. Cuz I was thinking like that and when I tried to run it with the dlls, it conked and said 'not a valid file.'

I remember trying several things at once-and I have since backed up my working DATA directory with all my cars/savegames, etc. so I can screw around with it.

I DO remember getting Carma to work with the dlls, but it was SO small I couldn't hardly see it. (Itty bitty borderless window in the center of my desktop. (which is only 8.9" diagonal) I don't know how to edit the .ini file atall....)
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Im pretty sure to open a .ini file you just use Notepad
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

D_B, you were close to success then!
Use the executable I sent you instead of CARM95.EXE, it's already patched, modified, etc. then yes, just use notepad to edit ddraw.ini and set windowed to false. Unless you want to hear music or play LAN games, I suggest you don't install the other dlls, just focus on ddraw :swink:

Check who’s online