Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

The cockpit view mod project

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: The cockpit view mod project

Post by coffeycup »

Mad_Maxine wrote:Computer says no.
(cough!)

I love Little Britain.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Mastro 666 wrote:
Mad Maxine wrote:secret knowlage of pix resizing
It's not a secret anymore. You need to make a Pixpack with the new size and then replace the old file with the new one.
I couldn't manage hexidecimal editing back when I was fully functional and actually stood to make money doing it...I needs a foolproof GUI, myself. It seems unlikely that one of the frames in a pixpack could be made 256x256 while leaving the other frames 64x64...? Has there been a mod project to scale up the textures in C1 cars? That could be the mod after this one. :crazy:
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

CWR wrote:It seems unlikely that one of the frames in a pixpack could be made 256x256 while leaving the other frames 64x64...?
It's possible.

Has there been a mod project to scale up the textures in C1 cars?
http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/17775
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

It's too bad that only one C1 car was upgraded - so I guess it could still be a mod project. Not sure how much it might chug the framerate if too many cars had high resolution maps - maybe not at all.

Basically, my vain hope that increasing frame sizes within pix files would be something I could manage with my limited coding skills remains unrealized. But I now know that it can be done - thanks Mastro.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Guys, guys, guys... please, do read the news billets posted in devWAM.
In the last one, I presented an awesome tool named TRixx that allows you to make PIX packs with bitmaps of any size you want (near the end of the post).

So if you want to make a PIX pack just prepare all your bitmap files (don't forget to apply the palette!), put them in a folder, then place TRixx in that folder as well. Run the program and press 3. That will generate a perfect PIX pack out of the bitmaps present in the same folder.

If you want to update a single texture (make it 256² instead of 64² for example) amongst other pixelmaps in a PIX pack, you can either use TRixx to unpack the PIX pack (you'll have to rename the filenames) or use Carmagedit 'Export All' function. Then edit the texture as you want and finally, pack it all up like explained above. Just be sure that all filenames match :)

About the hires Project-X texture and Cleaver, they were just tests really, the textures come from the Gizmondo/iOS version of the game. Someone at Stainless did a paint-over in 2005 with a new UVW unwrapped in a single map and with the previous textures baked into it beforehand. I was thinking about applying a few of them in Gourmet Carmageddon on original cars that really needed it (like Cleaver or Twister) but the problem is always the same: touch the model and the crush datas will turn it into spagettis after that (in this case we have to unwrap the model in MAX so import/export changes the vertice IDs).

For higher res bonnet textures (i.e. on Stiffshifter), I can easily add another material entry in the .MAT file, and make the .DAT bonnet model use it. Then you just have to add the pixelmap in the PIX pack as explained above. Here! Added modified MAT file and DAT to this post. Just create a hires version of GRIMTOP.PIX but this time named GRIMBON.PIX and append it to GRIMM.PIX :)

Personaly I'm not fond of having too much hires stuff in C1, I like things to stay pixelated. It seems to me that it is maintaining the gritty atmosphere of the game.

Mad_Maxine wrote:Computer says no.
Great, you make me watch it again.
Attachments
GRIMMBON.zip
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

So I made a vid with Leadpumper and Stiffshifter, their interior views and SS has all 256x256 textures which could still use improvements...that's why I'm not posting it yet.

http://youtu.be/Jeo90YEX5Vc
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

The dash view looks pretty damn awsome in those. Good to see you seem to know what your doing :P I still dont... I feel dumb... Not once have I ever got a new texture.. pix file to work in carmageddon.. Ever, despite doing what tutorials say and such its plain and simple.. something dosent work If I do it.

So.. oh well, Keep up the good work there man,
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Maxine: I don't understand how you might fail, even after reading my last post :confused:
Didn't you forget to load your pix pack in the text file by any chance?

CWR: Nice work :) QTZ pointed at how the iOS textures are actually different in some places and in better quality than the Gizmondo ones. But also don't have baked shadows and thus make it easier to convert to the C1 palette. So maybe you could use parts of the iOS textures to make higher res skins for the C1 cars.
Here's a quick example with the Cleaver, diffusion isn't good but that gives you an idea:
DUMP0000.png
DUMP0000.png (38.18 KiB) Viewed 13984 times
Attachments
VALHELLA.zip
Quick hires skin for VALHELLA
(18.67 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I made those textures from the originals, using some photoshop techniques, rather than use the iOS or Gizmondo textures - but I guess I could take a look at them. Some of the new textures are not what they should be IMO, but that's totally geek minutae, mostly. Weird part about the Stiffshifter was that the pixels down the left side of cutains.pix determine whether there's anything in the back 'window' of the hearse, as it stretches them across the mesh to create the upper frame.

Maxine, since you can add every other type of mod into C1, I'm going to guess it has something to do with the .mat files? While I finally have finally gotten PT2 open and stable...I couldn't actually DO anything with it - all the .mat stuff is on Toshiba; it's a black box to me.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

.MAT files generated by PT2 can almost be used with C1 as-is. As written in Deep_Blue's tutorial (well, kinda), all you have to do there is opening it up with an Hex editor and add .PIX behind the pixelmap filenames (always second to their respective materialname.mat).

And about the iOS textures, I see what you mean, in my eyes some of the cars have too much of a toy look. Might simply be due to the way they did the paintover.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Here's progress on hi-res Grimm & Valhella - Cleaver sure has a lot of poke-through at the front wheels...

Some areas of cleanup on both, and create a bonnetmap for Cleaver.

I especially didn't like Faust iOS - the 4 insigna looked more as if it were airbrushed art on a van instead of a stencil like the original. Yeah, I really think about this shit. :supercrazy:
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Finally happy with the Cleaver, lot of subtle changes & I still have to test to see if I was able to remove the whatever that is from the rearview mirror (back part of the bonnet mesh needs to be colored transparent I think) & narrow the design so that it fits on the hood properly:

Once I have that figured out I'll post it!
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Figured it out!

I was thinking "Finally, a car that can just use Eagle's cockpit view with just one bitmap change"...which is true, until you notice the saw edge blade that bisects the forward view...the Cleaver has one of those, right?

I also improved the iron cross on the roof, but can't be bothered to upload a pic into PhotoPhuckit - every time I go to that site there seems to take more steps to link to pic than previously. Vexing.
Attachments
HiResCleaverWhood.zip
whoof.
(37.76 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by CWR on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

Aaaannndd here's the StiffShifter high res - you'll need to add the cockpit files seperately, the zip file is too large to post otherwise.
Attachments
HiResSS.zip
The Bros Grimm
(231.84 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Nice work on the Cleaver and StiffShifter :)
That cockpit is really superb! For the Cleaver, wouldn't you prefer a bonnet model like I sent you the SS one?
Speaking of which, you forgot to change the crush data of the bonnet model to static for SS, and thus it turns to spaghettis quite quickly.

Seems to me like you're getting the modding habit back for good :)
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I was thinking that the Cleaver was perhaps the one design that could be done 'cheaply' - with just a bonnet texture change; jury's still out on that, but for the time being there is at least correct crush data on the hood...
Speaking of crush data, I still don't know how to make a bonnet mesh static, despite your explanation - if you want to post a static version of Stiffshifter's, I could then figure it out by comparison.

There's no simple way of removing the Eagle's overhead sawblade from Cleaver's cockpit view, is there? I can think of no way to remove it without removing it from all the Eagles' driver views as well.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I received this post on the youtube:

0takuMetalheadGamer 5 hours ago

I hope you can help me with it, but when I wanted to use the interior mod for the leadpumper the game crashed and sayd that the car resolution file couldn't be loaded

Anyone know what this could mean?

Also, new video:

CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

So I made all the 320x240 files for Leadpumper and fixed (I think) the bonnet texture. This should fix the crash 0takuMetalheadGamer had.
Attachments
AgentOcockpit.zip
Leadpumper for all resolutions
(235.06 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Last edited by CWR on Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

CWR, about the Eagle bonnet model, you can simply duplicate the file and link to that duplicated bonnet file in the Cleaver txt file.
It's easy to remove the blade from the bonnet model with PT2, but that would definitely change the IDs of the vertices and thus screw the bonnet crush data. Don't forget I can supply you with anything, just tell me what you need ;) If you need a bonnet model out of Cleaver, Leadpumper and others, just tell me.

About the crush datas: there are three crush datas in the car txt file. Simple model, Complex model, and Bonnet model. Just FYI here's how it works. So the first one is always static. The complex model has the longest crush data (more vertices), and then the bonnet model has a shorter crush data (less vertices).

Here's how a static crush data looks like:

Code: Select all

// CRUSH DATA
Note that the first value is the damage multiplier/softness factor. It's not just visual by the way. And it's often lower for the complex model. Just have a quick look at existing addon cars crush data/original cars to get a better insight.
All you need to do with StiffShifter is find where the third crush data starts (// CRUSH DATA or something like that //=Œh^[=0xV2 if badly decrypted) and then replace the chunk with what I posted above.

I doubt that the crash that youtube user experienced is linked to 320x200 resources. As your first release didn't feature any, the game uses the default for that resolution (eagle's bonnet) and it should be 100% crash safe.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I got more info from the youtube user and determined that they had not yet decrypted their files using 'iwanttofiddle' - so now they are squared away.

Thanks for the crush data info - it makes sense to me now. Unfortunately I have pressing RL matters that may limit my modding activities for a while; if they don't, I'll get on this first.

:supercrazy:
0takumetalhead
driver

Post by 0takumetalhead »

CWR wrote:I got more info from the youtube user and determined that they had not yet decrypted their files using 'iwanttofiddle' - so now they are squared away.

Thanks for the crush data info - it makes sense to me now. Unfortunately I have pressing RL matters that may limit my modding activities for a while; if they don't, I'll get on this first.

:supercrazy:
Damn ninja'd lol

Anyway, I'm sayd YT user. Got it to work now, it was a matter of getting confused about the use of said cheat. No problems with the new interior view of the Leadpumper and the skybox luckily doesn't shift position like it does with vehicles without proper interiorview.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I'm still going to fix the LP bonnet mesh when I have a moment - in the right view you see the corner of the hood; I realized that the original Otis bonnet texture had transparent color on the right and left sides to keep the player from seeing these corners...
0takumetalhead
driver

Post by 0takumetalhead »

The bonnet never matched Otis's vehicle, which made me believe it was intended for the Leadpumper from the beginning.
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I updated the file above for Leadpumper:

Hood looks too narrow now...no pleasing me, I guess.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Ok ive just woke up but heres my two cents.

The hood for the lead pumper is very nice but you could do with pulling the edges of the hood buldge thing out so its less pointy. Like so.

The other point is the center of the hood is very close to the driver there, the hood should be further over to the right, and wider. Sorry im picky :P.. tho I guess you allready said that too..
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I went into PT2 and made those changes, saved it, saved as it, it didn't save. Opened PT2 again - it was still there in the program with my changes but it still wouldn't save. So I got creative and came up with another, graphics based solution which appears to work, and I'm copying it over the attachment a few posts up from here:

I'm also working up the high res version of Leadpumper, but you can see it has a little ways to go:

Welp, this work is not going to procrastinate itself.
Alex Self A 9
hit n run

Post by Alex Self A 9 »

Stiff Shifter cockpit.

Re-upload it, Itt keeps on saying I cannot open the TXT files or port the cockpit stuff to any other folder.

I want that file re-uploaded, IT NO WORK. :supermad: IT HATE ME!!! :supermad:
CARMAGEDDON 1 ALL DA WAY!

YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

I just DLed it and it's not changed since I posted it - re-uploading it will change nothing, sorry. When you say "it keeps saying..." what is "it"? Winzip? C1? PT2?

I'm a year out of the loop with this editing stuff in any case - can someone help our fellow player with this?
Alex Self A 9
hit n run

Post by Alex Self A 9 »

'It' is that The file will not let me port ANYTHING IN THE FILE to carma 1!

I tried to get the text files in, and computer says no (not little britan, I don't even know what that is)

It is not PlayThing 2, I don't exactly know how to install that (YES!...YES! I KNOW THE SEARCH FEATURE...also, if I did have it installed, I would have A LOT DONE.)

So basically, it is saying that there is nothing to export, it's like as if it is corrupt, like as if there is NOTHING IN THAT FILE Except for a bunch of folders, and that's it...Re-upload, NOW, Please!!!

Will post pic of problem soon...

YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW
CWR
carcass

Post by CWR »

You still haven't said which program is giving you this message, or how it's worded, exactly - but here's a re-upload.
Attachments
StiffshifterCockpit.zip
(113.2 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

CWR wrote:stupidest problem ever: I can't assign index #0 black in my .bmps. So all 0,0,0 black is transparent and PS won't let me assign index #240 to those black areas I don't want to be transparent.
To make editing process much easier - without mistaken transparency - you can patch your tools & palettes in game to use proper colors. You will have pink color directly on preview and included with exported bitmaps without any additional operations. Only import will require to apply proper palette in case you will change palette during edition.
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

Anyone tried converting Twister's bonnet for Electric Blue? They're essentially the same model of a car.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Its easy enough to do, I did heavy impaler, and bronco at one point, but those have somewhere been vaporised.

Anyway Twister is actully closer related to kutters model if I recall.
But yeah twister hood would fit both, Electric blue, And countslash, the rest I figure need making. easy task with my own cars, but when I model a hood on a C1 car base it tends to hover around in odd places. hm, atleast I DID know how to do it, feels like a while, my car a day thing really got me into the workings of them, since they all had hood models, I suppose it wouldent be that hard to do. Just.. My C1 runs at 3 fps for some reson, But I can still make things that dont need test driving, such as simple dashes based on the orignals, and the like, If anybody wants? could be a fun project and this one seems to have ended.

so yeah shall I try making some dashes and hoods yo? No hires stuff tho just 'What if C1 had them' stock looking,
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Mad_Maxine wrote:so yeah shall I try making some dashes and hoods yo? No hires stuff tho just 'What if C1 had them' stock looking,
Sure, give it a try. Stainless had a few base dashes for cockpit images and mainly duplicated them. Few cars really need anything fancy.
Duplicating Twister's bonnet+cockpit for Countslash and Electric Blue is a good idea. And easy. Though extracting bonnet models from the C1 cars is relatively straightforward once you know a bit of PT2 and how C1 is set up.
Alex Self A 9
hit n run

Post by Alex Self A 9 »

Toshiba-3 wrote:
Mad_Maxine wrote: Duplicating Twister's bonnet+cockpit for Countslash and Electric Blue is a good idea. And easy.
I actually tried to give the countslash twister bonnet by copying the twster bonnet files, and giving it a new texture...

Didn't go so well after choosing Kutter on the car selection screen...

YEEEEE-HAAAAAAWWWW

Check who’s online