Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Modding Resources/Tutorials/Tools

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

It's about time we got a thread together which helpfully lists all the resources we have for modders. I'll be expanding this thread as I get the time to do so. If there's anything which needs to be added, just reply here and I'll add it to the list.

Resources
Parameters for Structure.xml - a work in progress list of parameters used in vehicles' Structure.xml

Tutorials
Changing Default Controls (Key Mapping) - a guide by Fuel
Alex's Modding Tutorials - an on-going series by Alex

Tools
Flummery by Errol - All-in-one tool for setting up cars, levels, etc. for C:R. Currently work in progress.
C:R Tools for 3DSMax by Trent - All-in-one script for creating and configuring mods in 3D Studio Max and exporting directly to the game.
LOLDecoder by Trent - A tool based on UNLUAC's source code for decompiling LOL script files. It doesn't handle all the files correctly but works perfectly for car & level configuration files.
GibbedTools modified by Trent - A tool for converting textures to and from C:R's TDX format, based on the source code of GibbedTools for Duals Of The Planeswalkers and modified to work with C:R.
MINGE by Trent - The CarMODgeddon Mod Installer

Historic Tools (no longer necessary/applicable)
► Show Spoiler
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

-reserved-
a.k.a. Brent
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

A quick bump to say I've made the "Parameters for Structure.xml" page on the wiki more complete, describing what each function does and what arguments it takes. I've based a lot of it off comments in the official cars' structure.xml files and made educated guess, but there's still a lot of blanks on functions which aren't commented or aren't even used, so I've reached out to Nobby to see if anyone at stainless could help fill in the blanks.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Under the joint properties, you've got:

Get_UJ

Set_UJ

Arguments: ?????

Possible Arguments: bool isUJ

Description: WTF is a UJ?
The UJ is a universal joint, used primarily in vehicle drivetrains, allowing a shaft to 'bend' and still transmit power.
http://ode-wiki.org/wiki/images/8/8f/Universal.jpg
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Ah fair enough, thanks for the info, I thought it was another type of joint but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about real life car mechanics so didn't know what type it could be :)

I'm guessing the JointAxis is one of the joints axis and JointNormal is the second joint axis, either that or the JointAxis is crossed with the JointNormal to find the second axis.

Much like the Slide joint it's not used in any of the official cars so it's usage either needs some experimenting or some info from Stainless about their usage. It's not used for any of the actual drive trains. I guess those parts could be considered as "animated" rather than "simulated". The Joints settings are for parts which are actually physics simulated, such as Towmeister's crane or doors or when fenders or bumpers are hanging off and waving around after being bashed.
a.k.a. Brent
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

No worries :) happy to help.

Hopefully Stainless will provide documentation as to the application of each method, ok gotcha on the physics simulation
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent I cant find the proper thread for this so hopefully I am allowed to post it here.

I am assuming you were waiting for MD to come out on Steam to make the C1 maps complete, being that it is possibly updated.

How are those maps coming along ?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Nope, I had no idea when C:MD was going to be released so that didnt factory into it. The last couple of months have just been crazy as hell, having to sort out my wedding anniversary, preparing life for a second child and going to all the appointments, going to all sorts weddings and family commitments, and more recently getting through the arse load of work I need done before I start at a new job next week. I've just not had nearly as much time to work on them as I'd like, I wanted them all done long ago but such is life.

The levels are in a fairly good state but I can't say when they will be able to be released, especially with the potential changes for C:MD. As they say, stay tuned.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Yup life got in the way. Thats why I said it may take years to get them released.

Look at what I did a simple little car and then life got in the way.

I am lucky I have a wife and no kids, congrats on your second. I am sure you cant wait til they are able to do stuff on their own, like use the bathroom , pour their own breakfast, get to school, etc

Check who’s online