Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Early Early Release on March 13

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
coffeycup
Genesis

Early Early Release on March 13

Post by coffeycup »

Early Early Release on March 13 for backers. :rockon:

The official forums will be flooded. Use this thread to post your initial thoughts/feedback!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Early Early Release on March 13

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Brace for impact!

FUNNY
téléchargement.jpg
téléchargement.jpg (229.16 KiB) Viewed 9267 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That looks great! How's your performance? Seeing lots of complaints at official forums.

Still at work but from what I understand it won't run on xp anyway, so blew my chance..what a douche.
Fuel
speed freak

Post by Fuel »

Ha yeah I had huge smile on my face when I saw the old cars trapped in ice there.

Coffey - not had any major performance issues yet. I'm on Win7 64bit with an i5 760 which is about 3 years old, 8gb RAM and I recently upgraded to an Nvidia GTX 770. It lags a bit when major damage happens and with the pinball mode powerup but otherwise it seems to run fine for me.

The most important thing is that they've got it feeling like Carmageddon, at least in my eyes anyway. Had a huge grin on my face the whole time I was playing it :grin:
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

Agreed defo feels like a proper carmageddon game which is the main thing at this stage in my eye
Gameplay feels a little more arcadey like it's a console game I am sure this will change in time

In terms of peformance similar to others had lag from time to time but overall runs ok - the love the next menus and the stainless logo at the start ! :)
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

damn, does anybody know how to change game language? stupid Russian translation lacks almost all original stainless jokes and fun!
nevermind, figured it out. never used steam before, lol
Anyway, even on my current rig game sometimes lag, but runs almost perfect in 1920*1200
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

Man, it's been great jumping back in, even in the pre-alpha state.

We need to start a dissection thread too IMO, but the sake of getting the ball rolling, has anyone else noticed that the ZAD assets are simply zip compressed archives with index files? You can extract them with 7Zip et al. I haven't managed to get it to load with amended files yet though (but I haven't have time to try too hard yet). I have noticed that if you extract and rename only the pre-extension part of the ZAD filename, the game still loads it (it must index and parse every ZAD file in the dir), so you've got to rename the extension, but at the moment it just causes the game launch to bug out. I wonder if it's as straight forward as just not having the extracted structure in the right dir.

Other notes, you can force anti aliasing by manually editing config.lua, and it does make a difference (not all the settings in this file do, some get reset by the game too). I encourage everyone to play with these and see what you can find to performance on your particular systems (wont make the underlying code any more efficient but might make the game more playable/fun in the mean time):
No AA:

With AA:

Also, it would be nice if we could work out how to enable to inbuilt debug mode (cheat mode). If only so we can find ever more inventive ways of stretching the game to breaking :) cheat_config.hidden.text

I approve of the new lua schematic breakdown for the vehicle structures too, human readable and easily programmable.

I tried a couple of (admittedly weak) hatchet job tweaks to see if the we can get APC playable, but given that I can't get my recompressed archives to load yet either, it's not been possible. That's only a couple of hours in anyway, it's been a long day today.

Anyone else found anything interesting yet?

** Espyo just pointed out this (hadn't come across it yet against the volume of noise over there: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/26453 ** will have a read through in the morning, it's late now.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Wow, that AA shot is really superb. Really sharpened it up.

Yes, I agree we'll need to create a C:R Editing Forum soon. I think everyone is just nibbling around the edges still. When the editing tools are released things should get crazier and fun.

There does seem to be a few good posts in the link you posted. But I too am finding it really hard to even try and follow any of the threads at Carma.com. Too many duplicate threads, and this is a pet peeve of mine but why does everyone need to respond with 2000 word manifestos? Who has the free hours to wade through all that verbiage? Not me. My attention span gets shorter and shorter ea.....look! A squirrel!
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

On the subject of keeping it brief... think I've got a line on getting at the textures, for editing:

*UPDATE*

Heh, maybe I should have swapped it for Cookie Monster, having some palette troubles, but the concept is there:

...which struck me as a good idea ;) I know it looks 'shopped, but I swear it isn't ;)

It doesn't achieve anything useful or practical, but it was a giggle while I'm working through it now.
*UPDATE 2*
Slightly cleaner version of Mr C:

If you want to try this in your game, download my edited files here (note they're not DXT5 compressed, so the file size is a bit larger than the originals at the moment). Put them in:
primary.zad\Data_Core\Content\UI\assets\h1080_default\animation_textures\driver_portraits\

*UPDATE 3*
Okay, achieved what I was initially going for:
Download Red Max Is Back here. Same installation as above. Again, I don't claim it's useful or has any value other than helping me understand how the parts fit together. On a side note, I know nobby has mentioned previously that Max should have never been skin-tone red, and that it was a printing artifact stemming from a budget restriction, which got rolled up into the lore until he set it straight. But, fuck it, we have history with Red Max, so make your all call while we're still playing 'classic carma' mode. No disprect, sir nobbert!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha that's great. Yeah I figure doing some reskinning is the first logical step to messing with the game. At least that's where I tend to start poking around.

Max will always be red Max to me too. Sort of the counterpart to Coop's Devil Girls.
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

Again, not useful in anyway (it's just a portrait tx), but here's one more dirty hack. Bit of a nod to the past ;) I'm not saying that anyone who 'gets' it will think it's funny, but, hell - I did :) I won't bother posting it on the main forum but I don't think it will be relevant to most of the audience.

Oscar Mayer.

primary.zad\Data_Core\Content\UI\assets\h1080_default\animation_textures\

I'll stop posting this rubbish now until I crack something more useful ;)
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha, well it's pretty funny to me. I guess a pure top down view would just look like a wiener instead a wiener mobile. :beer:
This is the kind of nonsense I'll want to bring to C:R while everyone else is importing Veryons from god knows where. :grin:
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

I love the nonsense too CC, the humour is where it's at! Life's too short generic. I'm REALLY not liking this new Eagle the more I play with it. And some of the other cars too TBH. It's too smooth and goofy. It's about as menacing, intimidating as a candy floss kitten. I'm not liking the volume of flat block colours which are reliant on specular highlights etc, but this is the nature of pre-alpha I suppose, and on that front it's great to be able to get involved in some minor way.

Last one for the evening for me I think - a full Red Max Is Back Modification. Pretty lightweight stuff, but a nod to the past. Download with suitably rushed and vague instructions here. Errors and omissions excepted - give me a shout for any corrections.

Includes replacement:
- splash screen
- profile pic
- loadscreen background
- model texture

With this one, that's slightly less useless than my last, I used a conversion tool created by Gibbed for Magic The Gathering, who was kind enough to share his source code, which Trent on the main forum tweaked to update the texture dimensions max limit. Slightly quicker than my previous method. Shout out to Trent. And score one to open source, the original author probably doesn't even know that he's saved his a large headache by us being able to adapt his code.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

matt wrote:With this one, that's slightly less useless than my last, I used a conversion tool created by Gibbed for Magic The Gathering, who was kind enough to share his source code, which Trent on the main forum tweaked to update the texture dimensions max limit. Slightly quicker than my previous method. Shout out to Trent.
No prob it was a rather trivial change! I just posted over on the official forums that I've finally got the normal maps decompiling properly with Gibbed Tools, which was a big faff due to the lack of real info on BC5_UNORM compression. Next up is getting normal maps to compile to TDX, which hopefully should be much easier!
a.k.a. Brent
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I had my oldest son build me a gaming rig and told him to make it fast. I'll have to get the specs but whatever they are, C:R runs great on this new rig! (thanks buddy :thumbsup: ) So I finally got to try it out. So far I am loving what Stainless has done. (only wish they stuck with C2 key setup. I like the num pad for driving and arrow keys for view. But I guess I'll get used to it. )

I just got Steam installed and C:R loaded last night so looking forward to spending time this week exploring! :smile:

It's great you can test drive all the available cars without having to 'win' them!
Fuel
speed freak

Post by Fuel »

coffeycup wrote: (only wish they stuck with C2 key setup. I like the num pad for driving and arrow keys for view. But I guess I'll get used to it. )
Hey Coffey, just so you know, you are able to manually change controls in Controls_General.txt which is in scripts.zad\Data_Core\Setup. It's relatively simple to change, just be sure the keys you want to use aren't double-assigned or weird things can happen :wink:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Click pic to see the details!

These new levels are cool. Bits and pieces of old maps and completely new areas.

Check who’s online