Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Big Van Bangers

A place for all things Bangers! Seduction of Destruction! Fun!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Big Van Bangers

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Hai guis,
I know I have a lot of projects going at the moment... to list some theres my comic, the truck mod, the 32 ford pack.. But whatever!, im working on that stuff and more.. and heres one of the secret projects that has not been at a showable standurd untill now.

I was watching youtube racing and I got to say.. and I really dont liek to, but the british demolition derby races just look more.. fun? especially the van ones.. I watched a Big Van Banger natinal video, and well I loved the vans going around, and the busses that fell apart and even the roofs split off and landed on the track, the Rvs that split open and fell apart... so It inspired me to make a mod.. of the orignal S.O.D
You may allso notice that I have reskinned the tracks, Not too much into this at the moment only 3 car types, Ford van, Ford Shuttle bus, Mercedes Bus,

But here, take a look at the pics so far, im having fun just watching things brake, I forgot how fun the orignal S.O.D was too, I started playing thru that again,

All names, colors, etc, made up I know nothing about the real races.. other than busses tend to block off the track compeatly.. wich I experianced ingame too.

Before anybody says it, Yes im having some issues with textures, I somehow made the bus LHD, without reolising somehow.. Untill I was finished, and then it suddenly clicked in a 'Well Fuck,' moment. so I Mirrored the model in cared, and as a result a lot of textures ended up screwy,... also I broke the trees.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Re: Big Van Bangers

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Wthat went down well...

Anyway for anybody who is looking, heres a comparison shot of the first track.

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That looks cool. I don't think I even noticed the updated SOD area.
My eye usually goes to the Editing and General Discussion sections.

New textures look more realistic.
Jaw_Breaker
driver

Post by Jaw_Breaker »

Looks awesome so far. Makes me want to play SoD again. :grin:
Discord: SDY2205#3474
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Im having genuin fun making this. even if some parts are badly made that kinda blends out in the bigger picture... So fun to play.. SOD is awsome.
but kinda dated, just trying to build on what freddy gave us :P

Notha sneek peek
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Geez those tracks look a thousand times better. Man. :supercrazy:
And the vans are wicked cool.

I love the SOD type tracks too. And making oval tracks is easy.

I made an imaginary banger track. Barrow Raceway
Spectator view.
cArmAkAze
Jesus, Hatebreed

Post by cArmAkAze »

Maxine, that looks fucking AMAZING. I still mess around with SoD quite a bit, any new content is welcome in my books. Can't believe how much effort has gone into that already :supercrazy:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Superb work, Maxine :saston:
It does look fun. Great action screenshots.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Keeps growing,

Thing is with freddys mod you can tell it was done over a period of time, some of the models look quite old, Those granadas and such look like they are early 2000's kinda work heh, where as some other cars look nicley detailed.

Anyway Bringing this into modern times too, The old cars in this mod show it was Actully set back in 1998, from what I know europe kills cars pretty fast, so theres cars from the early 2000s in there now. cant imageine theres much 80s stuff left? O.o
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Those vans look really sweet and the new track textures are a million times better!!

Your right about Europe killing cars fast, over here they are tinfoil with cocktail stick chassis, in the UK we have classic car associations going crazy at the banger community, because a racer will pose as a classic car collector, pay 10K for the last Cortina hearst on earth and smash the shit out of it, some old cars are nearly extinct here now.

And now with the shitty crumple zones in cars making them crumble voluntarily, we wont have much to race in a number of years.
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Really? Why would someoen pay a lot of money for a car to destroy? Ive been to watch many races, and all of the cars are pices of crap that barly even run sometimes. ive seen rust hoels and everything in those things. so ya.

I was even gona race once in a honda, But felt it was way too small and would only last a few seconds. still Ive never raced anything still :/
Sleep Dirt
hit n run

Post by Sleep Dirt »

Yep, and that's the same question I ask, Its dudes obsessed with banger racing having a bit to much money, it doesn't happen all the time but it dose happen.

On this island we had a track that only ran rotten junkers, some don't even get off the start line! But at the type of events Timmy76 goes to people are spending lots of bread on cars and paintwork, some of the paints amazing and probably cost a fair bit then its crunched 10mins later.

You should have raced that Honda! Geez, girls always want it to last for hours :P
The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Just to show you im still working on things.
Man.. I havent done so much research for a mod before, I never knew there were so many types of vans. Anyway ive added new, and old models, and facelift models of some vans, paintjobs, diffrent engine types avalible in those models. the only thing is I dont really know what would be used. so if Mr Dirt, or anybody who knows about van bangers tell me some other veichles that would be likly to be used (at the moment I just do internet sales searches in the uk and make anything thats worth under a 1,000 bucks heh, Scientific)
But I also plan on adding the iconic MK1 transit, despite it probly being more valuable, and then I dont know what else.

Some more camra angle shots.

Regular race

MK4 Transit Race

Later in the game race, When the busses get involved things get kinda messy..
Damn things sometimes even block the whole track.

And here, this is how to cut it close.

BTW Im currently making one of these, since it seems fitting
[image removed]
Could someone help me out here? It is aparently a renault, but is called a Dodge 50? Despite having a renault badge... and them not selling dodge in the uk (untill recently) so it kinda threw me off and confused me a little there.

an F.Y.I. All paintjobs, names, and logos are made up by me, any likness to real life racers, there names, or known colors are purly coencidence.

EDIT:
Ok I went and called it a Dodge Renault, since it seems some have both badges, dodge on the hood, and renault on the grill, so yeah, According to wiki chrysler UK did sell dodge comercial veichles.. hmm intresting.

And my request to you guys is.. Help? Im thinking of too many damn projects here... and for me, C2s simplistic modding and easy to work with ness. will never get old for me. Even if I mod CR, C2 will be along side it. and C1 also.

But what I need is.. ideas? Mabe you could give me some paint ideas, I mean theres currently 54 vans ingame, and ive come up with a range of paintjobs and such, and crappy names, but its getting rather hard.. It might be easy to be orignal if you are a racer, you put all youre thinking into one paintjob idea, Me.. after about 30 I was starting to run dry on ideas. and I still have about 5 Plain unskinned versions of vans, Like this.
And I still have more to make!
Currently unskinned I have, the small citran van you see there, a corsa, and some mid sized vans, and fullsized vans, like the transit and LDV,
Im also going to add more items, such as more RVs icecream trucks, and box vans. so ideas for those too could be.. usefull. if anybody wants to help.

Thats all for now, I really hope some of you will get into this, as usual its great fun to make and im making it To be played, so I hope theres not a bunch of Carstock peopel gona mess up my opponents list :P
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ha I don't know much about banger racing other than playing SoD and googling images.

I'd probably do some checkerboard patterns in crazy colors. Or graffiti looking stuff. I don't think bangers have flame paint jobs do they? 'Cause I'd do one of those. I just don't remember seeing any bangers painted up like that?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Hey coffey, thanks for the reply but ya know ive got some flame paintjobs, dont wana over do it :P

I really need to get into a demo derby while im young enough to take it heh,
heh some people think its 'a waste of good cars' But heh, hey you take something from a junkyard and give it a final run around before it returns to its final resting place, thats better than it dissapearign into the crusher right? One last hoorah!,

Anyway, how old is the orignal SOD mod? the cars (from the youtube vids, and research ive done) looks like banger racing cars from the early 2000s, and has none of the cars they use nowdays, hm, Gaming history.
Dalags177
driver

Post by Dalags177 »

I think the version 1 'beta' was released in 1999. At the time, the most popular car to use was a Mk2 Ford Granada - needless to say there aren't too many left now.
Stronger, faster, and more easily available cars such as Ford Scorpios, Lexus', Vauxhall Omegas, Volvo 7/900's, Newer Jaguars, Mercedes', Supras are all popular now. Most of these are in the online Banger Heat game we play, but it's an uphill struggle to keep modelling the latest popular cars lol

If you need some inspiration for colour schemes etc, here are some photo albums that will be of use, URLs were huuuge and didn't work, so tinyurl'd them
http://tinyurl.com/q4fqz9q
http://tinyurl.com/p9ev643
http://tinyurl.com/pyh7eo4
http://tinyurl.com/npxq756
http://tinyurl.com/pm35kwh
http://tinyurl.com/pb2z3na
http://tinyurl.com/nbe9je2
http://www.crashnet.org.uk/reports/pri2 ... e0529.html

A team that is well known for racing van bangers are the Surrey Street Squad. They race in white, with red dots all over, usually red signwriting.
You do find a lot of vans are just in basic colours with numbers/names just sprayed on.

Really liking what you're doing btw, love how they're falling apart! You've done a nice job on the tracks too.
I made a mk1 Toyota Previa for Banger Heat that you could use if you wanted, more of a people carrier than a van though, but a couple have been used in Van events in the past.
Also made a Ford KA (currently unmapped atm) and Citoren 2CV....i guess you could panel over the rear windows of them to make vans?! I should really learn how to put stuff in C2 myself seeing how much i played SoD as a kid :/

I guess you could include SoD's Ford Koln Ambulance actually - when that thing was raced, a lot of people said it should have been raced with vans rather than cars due to it's size and it being based on a truck chassis, so it'd be perfect

Remember seeing the ambulance in the que into the stadium that was overflowing out of the stadium and onto the road, they brought it on this small trailer. People were getting out of their cars on the roundabout to have a look at it since the place was gridlocked
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Hello there, thanks for the nice words, glad your liking it, the modding never stops.. Each time I think 'ok thats got to be all van types now' I find more that seem likly.

I dont know if im using.. The right type of vans, But im trying to do a lot of research, ok ive made some errors (the inner front of the LDV for example) but im actully looking at that site, its a good refrence thanks, gets me into what kinda vans are actully used, I was just looking on british used car sites and using anything under £1,000 cause I figure, those are the kinda things youd find in junkers anyway.

SO yeah. Currently have 14 diffrent types of vans, with multiple skins, I want to add mroe RV campers tho, I Only have two of them, and I cut one, because... well it looks ass, It was orignally quickly made back when this was a quick simple mod where I was only going to release a pack of transits.

Heres some mappy stuff since you mentioned the maps! I tried to add as much atmosphere as possible, so We have crowd sounds, weather, im trying to use soudn boxes and such as much as possible, pluss texture, sky, and fog color effects,
heres some results.

Hednes Day:

Hednes Night:

Smallfield Normal:

Smallfield Orange Sunset:

Smallfield Wet Rainy day:
The rain sounds make it feel nice :3

Yup, But now ive gone and delted the PIX16 folders, to see if I got all the texture renaming right... I clearly have some textures to fix now..

Ah well,
About the cars, well I feel the ambulance model looks kinda dated now, I know my work is not the best but.. you know consistancy is really a big thing for me, mabye im crazy. Tho the toyota, sure ill take a look? if you dont mind me pulling it apart putting on my wheels, and adding the driver model that I use?

I also want to make one of these because it looks funky, and seems like it will roll over on the first bend, did they use these?

and this, Too small? I wouldent like to crash it with my knees being the front of the van and all..
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Those are looking cool. On those last two skies, sunset and rain I would cut back the repititions. I usually set it to 4 or 5 so you're not seeing an obvious repeating cloud pattern.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Eh looks like that guy dissapeard again so I guess ill just make those two vans regardless.

Anyway back to this- God damnit coffey, :P
I dident even notice the sky, I just put some clouds in there, but now you gone and pointed it out thats all I can see, I just see that repeated cloud, well ok ill look for something and make a nicer smoother texture, it does kinda look like woll in the sky or somethin..

Im currently working on missions and making vans, just as an info update,
Just like the orignal SOD has granada only race, and I currently have,
The corsa derby, for anybody who haent seen I uploaded a quick video of me failing at that
[youtube]5wEjfVu9mME[/youtube]

I have a Mk4 transit only race, wich you have seen a picture of up there.

and im now working on a Motorhome race, and making vans for it I currently have 8 RVs totally finished. and destructable, Most of them being cab chassis rvs,
But for a little fun, and to show how the damage looks up close Can anybody name What this was before I took it out for a race?
See if anybody knows there vans :P

Talking of RVs I have a question, I have been searching sales and all that, A motorhome with the steering on the right seems to be less common than on the left, even if they are sold in the uk, Most of them seem to be orignally sold in the USA, or Germany, and sometimes france it seems, Is this normal? Or Have I just been coming across oddball imports by chance? It just seems like they are all imports, Does the Englandish not have motorhomes?

Thats all for now, To hell with all yall, But I still love ya,
Thats how odd I feel today, Mabye I shouldent druink energy drinks.

Quick edit: To any sod players, Should I add older vans? I Currently dont have anything older than the mid 80s.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I was talking more about just changing the number in the paperwork. Not changing the tiff.
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

Can't believe I've only just found this thread :supercrazy:
Look's great so far

Here's some pics for you Maxine
Attachments
1499558_10201929210766330_930379130_n.jpg
1499558_10201929210766330_930379130_n.jpg (106.33 KiB) Viewed 18709 times
960141_10201929240567075_1831140479_n.jpg
960141_10201929240567075_1831140479_n.jpg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 18709 times