Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C1 UI flickers, crashes

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

C1 UI flickers, crashes

Post by Takeshi666 »

So I finally got an old PC with a 3dfx Voodoo 3 card in it to run C1 with hardware that supports glide natively...

...and the framerate is significantly superior to running the damn thing in dosbox, but I've encountered some major issues; the HUD flickers a ton, to a point where it's almost completely invisible - but only in the following camera view, the cockpit view gives me a minor performance drop but the flickering stops.

Unfortunately it makes little difference because the whole game crashes to desktop before I can finish so much as one race.

Any suggestions?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: C1 UI flickers, crashes

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Make sure you're using the latest patch (1.3) (the one with VOODO2C.EXE), non-debug+cracked one is available at Road Reaction. Don't forget you can try arguments like -vgraphics or -vrush. I always run in it like so "VOODO2C.EXE -VRUSH".
If that doesn't help, then trying the earlier patch (1.2) (CARMAV.EXE) is an option, though I doubt it'd help.
Voodoo 3 cards arrived two years after C1, maybe C1 wasn't compatible?

Alternatively you could drop the glide mode by running the game with the -novoodoo argument. C1 isn't a game made for Glide mode anyway.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

Thanks. The v3 is the exact same card I had back in the day and I'm pretty sure I never had this much trouble with it then so I doubt that's the cause.

If none of these files fix the issue, maybe I could try reverting to older drivers?

EDIT: Thanks again - I tried the 1.2 patch, it did nothing, but the 1.3 patch w/ Voodo2C.exe -vrush stopped the flickering and I could actually finish a race this time so presumably it stopped the crashing. :thumbsup:

This is kind of a big deal to me because having a retro PC running an actual 3dfx card, just to run C1 properly, has been kind of a long-term goal of mine and it's great to see it finally realized :beer:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Awesome :beer:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online