Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 demo?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
sonofham
driver

Carmageddon 1 demo?

Post by sonofham »

Can the demo time limit in the demo be fixed that it allows you to play longer in the demo or be removed completely?I have the C1 full game but the UK zombie version "patched" with one of the blood mods from the Splat Pack and the Splat Pack installed.

Is there a way I can get both games to work without the install cd in so I run either game in DosBox? I never been able to get 3DFX to work but just would love to play either game again as I really need some cheering up...

Thanks.
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Carmageddon 1 demo?

Post by coffeycup »

I thought there used to be a patch to stop the timer, but I can't find it now.
You can always use the cheats to disable timer:
http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/carmageddon-pc-3036

There's a few no cd cracks at Tosh's site:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/pc-files
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Cheats are disabled in the demo (or changed, however the default doesn't work).
To disable time limit you need a crack, but as far as I remember some demos doesn't have time limitations. Try Christmas Splat Pack demo (last most updated demo with C1 engine) exec with C1 demo (there are 2 versions of C1 demos and both with or without the video).
You can find all demos on Road Reaction.
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

Thanks :swheel: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :swheel:

BTW I get a 404 error message on this download:
Carmageddon Test-Drive Demo
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

sonofham wrote:Thanks :swheel: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :swheel:

BTW I get a 404 error message on this download:
Carmageddon Test-Drive Demo
If Tosh still doesn't have it archived somewhere I'll see if I can get it up for you.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

Haven't touched C1 properly though.Have been playing SplatPack and the two splatpack demos through DosBox.Forgot how long the races can be in C1 and the Splat Pack.Some of the environments cause terrible graphical and audio issues.The enviroment that you drive in Jail Break causes so much audio and\or graphical problems and it can almost be unplayable....The parts of the environment in Icing on the Quake can cause audio\graphical glitches but still fun to drive in...

Busy replaying the splatpack as my savegame is weird or something...In C1 my savegames keep asking for the cd so I started a new savegame...After running the fixes for both dos versions C1 doesn't play the videos but the splatpack still plays all vids, intro vid included.Must have been due to the fact that I ran the fixes in windows and not in dosbox.Must really explore the splatpack christmas demo to see the entire cool chrismas makeover.Must test out the CarmaLauncher:
a complete Java launcher based on DosBox
It supports custom res, filtering and multiplayer through a master server.
to see how it runs full screen.

BTW I have been able to get the C1 demo to partially run on my Android v2.2.2 Motorola Defy (MB525) in low mem mode but the driving part in C1 demo won't load or crashes.Will try to investigate more to see if I can get it to run fully.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I have found tool to remove time limit from the demo / beta (?) version of C1.

For the demos you can also try the car selectors:
C1 Demo car selector
Splat Pack Christmas Demo car selector

To fool original (non cracked) execs you can copy required files to HD for example to FAKECD directory (in GOG release fake CD dir have ROOT name which confuses and is located in DATA subdir) and point PATHS.TXT to that dir instead of CD path. For DOS Box this dir must be available and must math DOS Box path.

You can read more informations here. I also recommended to add first line "@6+" (without brackets) which prevent the file to be encrypted by game engine.

With DOS execs you may need additional software / setup for sound to work correctly.

You can also try the win95 version of execs (for SP additional fix is required - this is basic fix, the 'killer coop' is not fixed there - it crash game when repaired by player - and there is no other non critical fixes), since you don't have Max Pack C1 (CD/GOG/Steam) the most updated execs for you are from Splat Pack CD (you can copy manually win95 files from subdir on CD to game dir on HD).

Note: Using execs from other version may cause problem with encrypted files, so if it refuse to work try to decrypt files with *original* exec (in general - file decryption may lead to other problems, since some execs do this incorrectly...).

(If you have same version of UK CD that I have - the exec is buggy - the APO is not displayed correctly, there may be a problem with CD music, in my version there is another 'fix' exec in DATA dir, so newer execs are recommended).

For C1 you may try my Unofficial Carmageddon Patch which set game to gore mode you want and also allow to customize other things. It does not patch the exec.

You can also try the Meld Pack from Road Reaction, but there are no DOS execs, so you need to copy missing files from root of your Splat Pack CD (any execs work with that version since all text files are in proper text form). This Meld Pack have also many more updates to Splat Pack files. To setup all cars to be available for play you may use Meld Pack Patch.

There is also Mastro Special Edition Mod which for, my patch is highly recommended. This mod is modified Meld Patch (sound, pedestrians and other things) with additional tracks and cars. There are also no DOS files - solution as above.

Basically there is no difference to run fixes in DOS Box or in Windows, but some of fixes need Windows to work, when some other based on DOS may require short paths (8.3 standard with ~1 for example). Installing game in Windows may cause DOS Box path to be incorrect, but this can be fixed manually in PATHS.TXT file (as above). So best is to install game in path like C:\GAMES\MELDPACK\ and mount same way in DOS Box (of course MELDPACK is example - the name must be not longer than 8 characters).

I need to check if save game really contains paths, since this sound weird for me...
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

All of a sudden for whatever reason now everytime I try to run the Splat pack with the newly created savegame I now get this error message when the game crashes to DOS while loading a map:
Failure: DatafileStack type mismatch, wanted 2, got 2
I also get the same error message with the other savegame but sometimes I can play with that savegame....

If I try a new career in Splat Pack that loads ok :confused: :help: :supermad: Will try the win95 version of the splat pack or the 3dfx with the version of the voodoo glide wrapper I have in vista.It's on my pc so will only get to try it out most likely only tomorrow onwards....
QTZ wrote:For the demos you can also try the car selectors:
C1 Demo car selector
App crashes in DOSBox saying bad command or file name.

[edit]Will post version of voodoo glide wrapper app here tonight.I have dgVoodoo1.31_sshots,dgvoodoo1.40plus and dgvoodoo1.50beta2.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I remember that funny error (I have screen shot of it somewhere :)), but unfortunately it doesn't ring the bell. Since you can play with that save 'sometimes' this probably mean the save game is OK. The problem probably is in other files, but I don't know what you done, so can't say what maybe wrong. If you have decrypted text files this is probably the reason. The solution is to move the save games to new installation and try again.

I have investigated a bit what's going on with the NEWCAR.EXE and it look like there is a batch encapsulated in this exec which using CHOICE.COM file (or exec call it directly) which was included in DOS and Windows, unfortunately dropped in XP and later (?). This a problem for many batch files, so it's good to have archived copy of that file. I have found one very old, probably from DOS 4.0, fortunately it working.
CHOICE.7z
Missing file
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Edit: This and other versions can be found from here (here discussion and more such files).

The other thing for interplay version of the demo - they changed exec file name to DEMO.EXE, so to remove time limit or change car we need to rename the file DEMO.EXE to CARMDEMO.EXE first.

As I say previously we can use the exec from later demos, but forget that directory structure is a bit different, so it need also to move some files to proper paths... fortunately we have that demo time crack :)

When you will try the Meld Pack or Special Edition you may also copy there movies from Carmageddon CD - DATA\CUTSCENE\*.smk (except for those starting from "z"), but do not overwrite existing one (in Special Edition).

To investigate on which file game crash there is very good tool ProcessMonitor. It is good idea to filter out registry calls and other background activity at the beginning. (There is also lot of other interesting tools.)

Sorry, I can't help with the voodoo, maybe someone else?

Edit2: Maybe this is good idea to search / made new topic for that? This one is about demo, but we are talking so many topics here... :)

There is no support for voodoo in the C1 demo, but it's possible to turn demos into mini full version which will work with full version execs (I have created such version long time ago for my self only). It's require lots of work...

Edit3: I have missed that some of Splat Pack demos have 3d exec, so we can move that exec to C1 demo and run it 3D accelerated then (as I say, it may require to move / copy some files to proper places too).
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

@QTZ

Those savegames are messed up.I tried the savegames I had since 2000 for the Splatpack and they work like a dream.No more errors.Even saving a new one from one of those savegames works perfectly.:grin: Last night I raced around in Hell driving Stella Stunner's Electric Blue.:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: Also checked out what Satan was playing on his pc... :wink: C1 still won't load the savegames as it keeps asking for the cd to be inserted even though the fix worked. :confused:
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

About the C1 demos: In the mean time I have decrypted C1 demo text (script) files and make it work with Splat Pack 3D accelerated execs :). Earlier demo also need to upgrade the scripts to work (I messed it up and now it not working anymore, I need to fix it again...). I will upload my work soon, I hope...

About full C1: I have updated my Unofficial C1 patch, it's for fresh install without modifications (!!!), it doesn't fix 'CD not found' problem, but as I already say - it fix / add some features and give some options, like gore level (blood, zombie, full robots patch), translations, etc..

About the 'can't find C1 CD: What you mean by 'fix worked'? If you are unable to start new game it means the PATHS.TXT file is set to wrong location. If PATHS.TXT is correct, you should be able to start new game and this mean something is wrong with the save game. If so please upload your save game and I will check what's going on. Otherwise edit your PATHS.TXT as described in place linked above. Or just install new instance of C1 (best in something like C:\CARMANEW [not longer]) and copy your save games here. The installation can't be moved without PATHS.TXT editing, so before run game for first time, add as first line "@6+" to PATHS.TXT to prevent it encryption (as I say above). It allow you to edit that file later without additional effort (decryption with external tool, or create the file from beginning).
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Just in case:

C1 PATHS.TXT (for GOG we have PCWIN.TXT) should look like like this:

Code: Select all

@6+
D:
C:\CARMANEW
Full
English
Where:
'@6+' is a additional encrypted '//' line to fool game to think the whole file is already encrypted
'D:' is path to CD files (usually CD drive, but can be set to HD folder either)
'C:\CARMANEW' is the path to Carmageddon installation on HD (is best to stick to 8.3 standard - install to location where each directory level is not longer than 8 characters and doesn't contains other characters than letters and digits, its very important for DOS based execs)
'Full' means this is the full installation (can read CD audio)
'English' language version - this information is used by Splat Pack Installer to set keyboard layout.
sonofham
driver

Post by sonofham »

QTZ wrote: About the 'can't find C1 CD: What you mean by 'fix worked'? If you are unable to start new game it means the PATHS.TXT file is set to wrong location. If PATHS.TXT is correct, you should be able to start new game and this mean something is wrong with the save game. If so please upload your save game and I will check what's going on. Otherwise edit your PATHS.TXT as described in place linked above. Or just install new instance of C1 (best in something like C:\CARMANEW [not longer]) and copy your save games here. The installation can't be moved without PATHS.TXT editing, so before run game for first time, add as first line "@6+" to PATHS.TXT to prevent it encryption (as I say above). It allow you to edit that file later without additional effort (decryption with external tool, or create the file from beginning).
The C1 no cd crack should have fixed the cd check\requirement but it still ask for it when I want to load a savegame.I can start a new game but that is it.I have yet to try out the robot version of Splat pack.Only the normal version of the Splat pack I have.

Last night on my pc which is messed up as the one thing is that the onboard sound card is effectively dead I got the following:
Failure: DatafileStack type mismatch, wanted 2, got 3
when loading the Figure of Hate race with the Stodge Barger. :confused: Can happen with any other car\race.

I haven't touched Splatpack since then on my pc as this whole :supermad: is really getting me down....I had hoped that I would have been able to get both C! and Splatpack running with minimal problems but not these constant problems.I have yet to retry the Splat Pack on my Dad's laptop.

@Toshiba-3

Thanks.Going to try it out now. :grin:

[edit]I have the following .exe's to run the robot version of Splatpack
CARM95G.exe
CARMAG.exe
CARMAGV.exe
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I think you have used bad crack for C1, since there was such crack which enable new game, but not load game. The solution is to find another crack or exec or to setup paths.txt correctly and allow game to run with original exec.

Check who’s online