Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

What to use PIX or TIFF in C2?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
QTZ
hit n run

What to use PIX or TIFF in C2?

Post by QTZ »

Here Coffey says:
coffeycup wrote:You can't use the PIX that PT2 generates as is. You need to use a Japanese program, yes Japanese, to convert the PIX to BMP. Then open BMP in your paint proggy and resave as TIFF and put THAT into your map's TIFFRGB folder.
so my question is:
Why can't use PIX files in game? Are only PT2 PIX files are wrong, or custom in general?
Japanese PixEdit can also save pix files that author show working in game, so why to convert PIX to TIFF?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: What to use PIX or TIFF in C2?

Post by Toshiba-3 »

There's only that very PT2-generated map pix that's faulty. Don't know why. The game just doesn't like that pix. Seems like PT2 generates a different header or something.
Other pix files generated by PT2 are ok.

We use TIFF files as bases and it's best to keep them when releasing cars rather than only include the pixies. There's a loss in color with pixies, so if someone wants to edit the car/make a skin, then it's just better to work from tiff files.
As for the PT2-generated map, well, we often like to paint over that map so we have to convert it in a format that can be opened in Photoshop and the likes.

Also I suppose TRixx should be able to convert that faulty pix to tiff too?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

You're taking my comments out of context.
We were discussing the MAP.PIX that PT2 generates.
That's it. That one PIX. Not all the others. Jeesh.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Thank you Toshiba-3 for information, this make thing clearer for me, however I need to test to see if this work as I think. I remember friend of mine edited tiffs and then nothing has changed in game...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

If the tiffs are edited but nothing changes ingame, first thing to do is delete the PIX16 folder.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online