Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

PT2 N00b questions: There'll be more here I suppose..

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

PT2 N00b questions: There'll be more here I suppose..

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK, I've got object removal down to a science thanks to Tosh...
Can I delete (remove) materials (textures) in PT2 and if so, how?
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: PT2 N00b questions: There'll be more here I suppose..

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Mmh, this doesn't sound like a noob question.
Can you explain a bit more what you're trying to achieve?

AFAIK you can't remove a specific material from the whole scene.
However you can replace it by editing it in PT2. You can change the material identifier (its name), the texture it loads (if any) and the material flags. And so you turn it into another material.
If you give it the same material identifer as another material and the same material attributes then save, if you open the scene again in PT2 the materials will have merged.

In absolute removal, the sole operation that comes to mind is the "remove all materials from selected object" function. but then you have to apply textures again (mapping is unaffected).

And by the way, to edit materials in the way I talked earlier, you just have to double click on them in the material explorer (bottom of PT2 window). Clicking on the Clear button will remove the texture. And you can change the identifier in the same window. It's better to 'apply' changes on the same material one by one because some changes might discard previous ones.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

LOL. Well, I'm a n00b to PT2 pretty much.

I was wondering how I could remove textures that are no longer needed from a model because the objects they were applied to don't exist anymore. I'm trying to trim down the content of a track to oversimplify it to just terrain for the monent-removing all noncars and anything unnecessary.

Do I really need to delete them or will they just not be used in the finished product because there's no object calling for them to be applied to?

Seems like there'd be a lotta leftover images hanging around in the file if that's the case.

Is there another way to remove unneeded textures? Or do I just delete them after everything's done?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Ah well, if they aren't used in the scene anymore they should disappear automagically. If they still appear in PT2 after you open the sdf scene again, then it means it's still used somewhere. Once it's not appearing in PT2 material explorer, you can safely remove the texture from the tiffrgb folder.
But even if you leave them there, the game won't load nor use them. It will just convert them to pix as a batch process and that's it.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Took your advice. (thanks!) Chopped a buncha objects outta the .dat file. Converted tifs to bmps (C1 race palette previously saved in PSP from when I was making C1 cars.)
Made a .pix file>imported the images I wanted. Edited a .txt file so far to reflect the changed map.
Now...The .mat file.............

Like ya said, when I removed the objects in the .dat that I wanted out, PT2 ditched the corresponding material references that went with them. The .mat file still contains those references-albeit not yet with the proper file extension names that C1 can use.

My next question is-what do I do with those unneeded texture references in the .mat file and if I do need to get rid of them-what is the best way to do so (using my hex editor or otherwise?)
======================================================================
edit*:Nevermind. I'm an idiot. Apparently I answered my own question by reading MY OWN DAMN C2>C1 car conversion tute. I don't have to do *anything* with those entries as they're no longer referenced by the model. *HEADSMACK*
==========================================================
:lol: I don't so much mind getting old...I imagine the Alzheimer's will keep things interesting..
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote: :lol: I don't so much mind getting old...I imagine the Alzheimer's will keep things interesting..
It's like everything's a new experience!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hmmmm.... *smoke from ears*
What a hack-job this turned out to be! :lol:

Game crashes out trying to to load the sky texture...except it's calling it a model...Doesn't even like substituting sky textures...(I thought maybe lines were wrong in race.txt but everything looks right).

Methinks I need to go all the way back to the original base model and demolish/redo it in CarEd and start with .act/.dat/.mat. files that all match each other.
I just don't know enough about the structure yet.. But I'm learning stuff in a sideways, punchy kinda way.
I'm beginning to lose track of what I'm doing on account of the remnants left after I gutted this track and I keep getting whacked in the head by swinging components and tripping over loose ends..

Back to the drawing board. :grin:

I'm sure I'll get this eventually.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Could you rather upload what you got so far?
ACT/DAT/MAT/PIX/TXT files all zipped up?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup, I could. Nothing's even remotely done-just placeholders and hacked stuff (cause I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet)-but yer more than welcome to look at it.

Right now the race image (placeholder) loads and then the player stuff upgrade option screen and then it crashes after a couple seconds with an error message that says: "Couldn't load model file DEZSKY.PIX (or it's empty)."

Model file? Really?

*SMACKHEAD*

:lol:

Got a place I can mail it to? Zipfile's too big for here, apparently.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. I must say I have a better idea of exactly what the hell's happening when I do stuff now.
Thanks to Tosh, I learned more in one Faceybook chat session than I've been able to learn in all the years I've been making Carmageddon stuff.

Apparently I got lucky as hell when I figured out how to make C1 cars. I never had to use PT2 on any part of them and I was just bashing stuff together to see what happened and paying attention to the results without knowing how it was working.

Now I got a better idea of how it works.

My drawing board is thusly better equipped.

Thanks, Tosh for the education and Mastro for the point in the right direction with PT2. :grin:

Check who’s online