Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Dafuq?!? ***PROBLEM SOLVED***

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Dafuq?!? ***PROBLEM SOLVED***

Post by Deep_Blue »

C2 gameplay freezes when I hold down the accel, brake, handbrake, steering or any other key that requires being held down. Video and audio both quit for the duration until I release the key being held down. Makes for choppy gameplay.

Running in HW mode. Does the same thing in SW mode.

Far as I know nothing like sticky keys is running in the background...

WTF??
Last edited by Deep_Blue on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: Dafuq?!?

Post by Harmalarm »

Well that sounds like it is hardly a Carma related issue... Did it start doing this all of a sudden? Did Carma run fine before? Did you try a fresh install to check?

ftp://downloads.toshiba-3.com/kvefugrn/ ... c2_r1b.zip
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not Carma-related... Wonder if I sucked up a keylogger somewheres or summin.

Pfft. I dunno. Trouble is I can't re-install on my netbook as I don't have a CD drive. My usb CD drive has a bad cable (methinks) and netbook won't recognize the drive when plugged in.

>double whammy<
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK scratch that. It IS Carma 2 related as no other driving game (DOS or Windows, including Carma95) has that issue. Only C2.

If I hold down the 'accelerator' key or any other movement related key that requires it to be held down-the entire game (video) stops until I release the key and resumes after a slight lag requiring me to 'bump' the key constantly to keep moving. This is getting too much ike work, dammit.

Sucks when starting out and car accelerates to only 28mph and then freezes. I have been ass-ended so many times trying to start a race it ain't even funny.

StickyKeys is off, I'm not running Xfinity ConstantGuard (not even installed) which has known keyboard monitoring issues with games, and just for the helluvit, I turned off my wireless card and de-activated Norton Security Suite completely to ensure that wasn't the problem.

I also installed Zeckensack's Glide Wrapper-and it works, but now I have to search around for the menu 'mouse-in-a-box' issue cure.

C2 ran flawlessly before. Didn't play for awhile and now I got bugs.
WTF. Malware? Keylogger? I dunno .
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Is that file a fresh install? (not familiar with that file)

Only in C2 if I hold down ANY key for onger than 1/2 second-everything freezes until I let go.

*Finally found another track I LIKE and this shit happens....*

*EDIT:

I dl'ed the file (thank you BTW).
Copied everything over to C2 folder after deleting everything in my original game folder and ran it. Runs like before and still the same keyboard problem..... Crap.

Anybody got any ideas?
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

:o

It does sound like it has to do with Nglide, perhaps in combination with other software you recently installed? As you said Zeckenack's wrapper worked fine? Did you try to play other glide games with Nglide, to see whether the problem is still occurring?

If the problem then lies with Nglide, I suggest you point this out on their website, as you might not be the only one having this issue. If it is not... well, then I am quite out of ideas really...
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

The freezing with a key held down problem only happen with C2.
It happens whether I start C2 in DirectDraw mode, Glide mode, or D3D mode.

Same thing every time-countdown gets to "GO" and I push down the accel key-the car moves slightly, the tachometer goes up a couple bars and the whole game freezes for the duration tht the key is held down. Same with steering unless I've just accelerated and let go-then I can hold down a steering key and the game will continue to work and the car steers until it runs out of momentum.

So to drive the car, I have to 'bump' the accel key every second and let up. Usually same with steering-I have to bump the key to turn.

Holding down ANY key ingame will freeze it up. Doesn't matter which key. Even keys that have nothing to do with the game.
I notice that the sound gets kinda choppy between loops every so often when bumping the accel key..

No other game does this so far. Only C2.
Carma95 (C1) works smoothly as do all other driving games I play. (older games of the vintage of C2).

I'm friggin' stumped. *Going thru a list of installed proggys to see if any of them monitor/affect the keyboard*
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I've never heard of this problem before. :supercrazy:

All I can suggest is a fresh install or maybe grab Freddy's SoD banger mod at The Spray Shop it's a stand-alone version and a smaller file size (no peds) and see if that still has the problem?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I emptied out all the files in my C2 folder and copied the vanillaC2 files Harm gave me to my game folder thinking something had corrupted somehow. (I love how a C2 install seems to have a 'shelf-life!!!')

Same prob only w/ the keyboard and C2 only. Got C2 to run smoothly in all mode with a USB gamepad but what a hop in the balls! Still hafta use the keyboard for stuff like recover/wheelspin (freezes game).

So far can't configure gamepad buttons to perform keyboard functions-dunno if it's possible either.

Can't find any solutions online yet.

I say again...DafuQ?!?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hmm.. Still having the keyboard issue. Anybody? It always worked before and clean reinstall doesn't change anything. I'm thinking some keyboard monitoring aspect of my Norton antivirus may be causing the problem but I don't know where to start isolating it yet.

This sucks. Using a gamepad works, but I don't have the fine control I had with the keyboard anymore. That and the damn horn won't honk....
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Bump.

Dammit....This sucks. I miss my keyboard control. I have tried searching everywhere I can get even the slightest clue what causes this behavior ONLY in C2.

I've tried disabling Norton A/V altogether, I've tried turning off Windows event logging, Sticky keys/Filterkeys, or any other kinda goddamn keys is not enabled-in fact as far as I can tell, all 'accessibility' things are turned off and Malwarebytes is not finding any keyloggers anywhere...
Muck Fe.....I'm at a loss here..
If it helps-Usually when I hold down the left or right arrow (I'm using a kb configuration on my netbook that uses the comma and period keys for steering and the A and Z keys for accel/brake/reverse.)-The car will sometimes continue to steer in the appropriate direction without freezing the game-until I hit the accel key...Then the video hangs but the audio stays in sync until I let off the key.
Other times it doesn't matter which key I hold down-even the horn or a key that isn't even assigned-it hangs up until I let go the key.

NOBODY'S ever experienced this?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Not me. Tho my horn not working either..

You have a spare keyboard you can try?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nope. All I have is an Acer Aspire netbook-Can't swap keyboards unless I can find a USB one....(That's just ridiculous....LOL) C2 ran beautifully on it for years. Now it's knackered.
Gotta be a software issue somewhere as that's the only thing that has changed that I know of over time. Something seems to be polling my keyboard and it thinks anything that isn't a brief keystroke warrants investigation. Gonna give our local comp guru a call and see what he can advise... This is dang frustrating.
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Yeah sorry buddy but with this issue you are quite unique! I remember one of old pals having issues with his usb keyboard, causing audio and response lag. Trying a different keyboard would be my suggestion, like Coffey said.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Re: Dafuq?!? ***PROBLEM SOLVED***

Post by Deep_Blue »

GOT THE SUCKER!

My local PC repair buddy told me to dump the Norton BloatSuite antivirus I've been using (Norton Security Suite (v. 5.2.2.3) and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Much slimmer, non-annoying, non-bullshit animations proggy that works like a muhfuggah.

My faith has been restored in Microsoft (for the time being) and my keyboard controls are back and working perfectly.

Apparently NSS is incompatible with C2 in XP on my netbook.

Thanks for the help and the trimmed C2, fellas.

See ya's out on the road... :grin:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

That's great news. I got rid of my Norton and McAfee and got the MS stuff too 'cause of performance.
Constantly eating up all my CPU. But I didn't know it could affect keyboards too!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for sharing the tip D_B!

And yeah Security Essentials is surprisingly good. Like, efficient. I've been installing it on most of clients' comp and it's all good.
Wouldn't surprise me that MS kinda came up with that software because of these antivirus bloatwares generating more problems at some point than actual malwares etc.!
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yup. Norton was a serious resource hog. Had it's hooks into everything including monitoring keystrokes in the name of identity security.

I figured it was polling the keyboard and causing me grief.

Well no damn more. C2 is fun again!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Hey that's great! I'll definately take a look at MSE now!

Check who’s online