Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C1 has sounds hiccup.

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
SoupaVedg
motorised death

C1 has sounds hiccup.

Post by SoupaVedg »

Yeah, so, I installed C1 on my comp and the sounds + music have some kind of echo. For example, in the beginning vid, when the guy say "Start your engine", around the word "your", you hear again "start" and it keep on like that, even in game (Tire screeching, engine sound, peds sounds, etc).

I use WinXP Family Edition 2002 version, on an iMac with the following:

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.66GHz 2.65GHz,

2.72 GB of ram,

Realtek High Definition Audio

So, anybody can tell me what's the problem?

Thanks

SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
juozas
hit n run

Re: C1 has sounds hiccup.

Post by juozas »

Well dunno, but since I seen alot, xp might be problem tho. Also it's a problem of sound car xp builtin nt dos emulates. So you nead a dos box to eliminate that.

To get higher resolutions and quality you need glide. You can run dgVoodoo under xp but it wont eliminate sound problems and also it might crash and/or freeze some times as it does on mine.

If you're annoyed by crashes (almost xp-related) you could try a custom DosBox build (e.g. gulikoza's one) with glide wrapper support, and some modern glide wrapper like nGlide on host os. As it says on nGlide authors site it works with carma when using glide-enabled dos box.

The problem also might be the processor and/or graphics running too fast or similar like you nead to disable and/or slow down some part of it, where on my system this caused the game timer to run twice as fast so i needed to switch to glide, but it didn't solve all the problems i seen since it crashed alot. Then i tried glide enabled dos box with nGlide, it works on it ok seemly w/o crash so you may try that too.

On some games it solver by writing a little program called wrapper that does nothing but disables one of processor and calls main game executable, it disabling it while game's running don't help, but that doesn't seem to work on carma.

Good luck on hacking around it :lol:
Сделано в СССР
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

I forgot to mention that DosBox have the same problems.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Have you tried D3D Windower? I guess it should work even if your XP is within MacOS (or you're using bootcamp).

https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/index ... 1-on-Vista

Now that I think about it, the way you run XP might be important. Is it a progie like Parallels, VMWare? If so you might have a look at the sound setup in your OS profile.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

ehm, you could try to look into c1 sound configuration. ether under dosbox or on windows run sndsetup or whatever it named and choose a most applicable device or let it auto-detect. if dosbox emulates soundblaster choose soundblaster from list. Also check midi config too.

Don't forget to update drivers, directx to get latest games and/or directx applications such as glide wrappers to work. Check your hardware settings.

btw, what the model of a sound card you're running (realtek is just a driver) on your system and what is your display card model? It might help too :lol: Check device manager btw.
Сделано в СССР
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

What about directly playing in Mac OSX?

I just remembered I had posted this on devWAM some months ago:

http://forum.portingteam.com/viewtopic.php?f=235&t=5779
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

J'ai seulement la version Windows... --'

Only have the windows version... --'

J'vais essayer ton D3D Windower.

Gonna try the D3D Windower.

On verra ce que ça donne.

We'll see what it'll do.
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

... I meant the Dos version.

J'voulais dire que j'avais la version Dos... Mais, ça marche normalement sur windows, alors...
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

if you have a dos version, there should be a soundcard config program as i posted above.

did you check if you have it? (named sndsetup probably), did you run it?

If found it, run it under dosbox, choose sound blaster, save and then launch the game from it. post results.

Check the dosbox configuration.

use dosbox imgmount command to mount iso, if any into dosbox, search thy net howto,

to mount a cdrom or any other path use dosbox mount command, search for howto also.

Check http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT
Сделано в СССР
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

Yeah, I did the sound setup, it works only with Soundblaster, cuz if I try anything else, the setup freeze. Tired to make it work in Dosbox with D-Fend still the same sound problem. Tried Vdm Sound and then the sound just don't work.

Check who’s online