Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Running C1 on Windows 7?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
maxdamage
pedestrian

Running C1 on Windows 7?

Post by maxdamage »

Im trying to run Carma 1 on a Laptop that came with Windows 7. The setup.exe wouldn't even load. Tried with the compatibility mode, setting it for "Win98/XP" whatever compatibility, the same happens.

Carma95.exe with -hires works flawless on XP, so I tought about copying the whole folder into the Laptop and try, but I expect the Carma95.exe will not open within Windows 7, or it will just crash.

I don't like the Glider idea. It doesn't run smooth, and the sound is glitched. I get headaches by playing like that.

Whats left besides waiting for the XNA project to finish? I don't want to wait till 2012.
hazardic
motorised death

Re: Running C1 on Windows 7?

Post by hazardic »

lol - you can't launch c1 in dos mode on win7 and vista because of a lack of it. that's why you can't launch it in 3dfx glide mode (using CARMFX-S.exe for splat pack for example). the one exception is a dosbox with glide support - but all you could get is 640*480 window mode without bilinear filthering and 15 fps max in a normal game situations. this is a crap. that's why i have a second notebook with xp installed and beatiful dgVoodoo support with 4xx AA and with vdm sound. so forget about dos or hi-res & high-fps glide mode on win7 and vista in c1

but win95 mode with hires key is working without any bug and problem. so why u didn't try it?
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

It's not working for me in any way, the ones you specified included. :techsupport:
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

what - on xp c1 doesn't work too? well just ask me - i respond what to do=) maybe we could solve problem
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

No, i ment W7 too.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

u ment running c1 using dosbox with glide support on w7/vista? or running software carma95.exe? which one?
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

All of which you said like i said, all failed.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

well - here is dosbox with glide emulation - try it should work http://www.mediafire.com/?zn4nwkowtqm read importance note inside - i made it for myself to prevent my forgetfulness but it useful for anyone

unpack somewhere, make a shortcut for dosbox.exe and drag 3dfx executable to this shortcut. if u saw 3dfx spinning logo - you on your way. but u may see a poor fps. but dunno maybe only me got this.. anyway please report your results about it=)

glide compatibility maded by gulikoza http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/ some dosbox tweaks maded by me for myself so u could change it if you want to get the best result

here is glide support page if somebody interests http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/glide.html

as for software mode - mine works fine even without any compatibility mode with sound with hires key in shortcut

on xp this is all useless ofcourse :grin:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Not sure is Tosh's C1 Melt works in Win7. I'll have to try it in Virtual Box on my laptop.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

i dunno about Tosh's Melt but my carma meld based on splat pack and meld patch works
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

FATAL ERROR: Sorry, Carmageddon has run out of memory and in the background window calls: SB: 8bit irq pending

But i did see the 3DFX logo, after that the error.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

crap. ok here is the solution. run sndsetup.exe in carma folder by dragging it into dosbox shortcut. auto detect your audio card, irq and other. save changes and quit. then open S3.ini in carma folder and take a look what the numbers exactly there are. u need type, irq and dma. then open dosbox.conf by notepad in dosbox dir and change these values to your own. save it, then run carma.exe again

it seems this error happened because our irq and dma are different because we have different machines :grin:
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

SETUP.EXE (while i did ofcourse use the SNDSETUP.EXE) can't find SETUP.INI file

But it's there! in the folder where it should be! :crazy:
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

you could try my (attach) but it's not really necessary due to your problems with setup

you can try different values of irq or sb type in dosbox.conf manually bypassing procedure with setup. it's a minor problem it should be solved
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

How it's going? does anything works?
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

There's alot of combinations to try, so far nothing. Can't i acquire the SB and IRQ through something else? So that i have the exact one to put in the conf file..
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

well not so many combinations: port could be 220 or 240, dma could be 0, 1 or 3 irq could be 2, 5, 7 or 10

usually port 220, dma 3 and irq 3 or 7
Necro
pedestrian

Post by Necro »

TTR wrote:SETUP.EXE (while i did ofcourse use the SNDSETUP.EXE) can't find SETUP.INI file

But it's there! in the folder where it should be! :crazy:
Woot, necro thread! Sorry about that, but it doesn't look like the question was ever answered satisfactorily here or elsewhere, so: sndsetup will give this error even if setup.ini exists if you don't also have the test files specified within the [PROGRAM] section of the setup.ini file itself, namely: s3.ini, scream2.wav, carmid03.hmi, melodic.bnk and drum.bnk. Drop those files in and you should be golden.

Bye!

Check who’s online