Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Installing C1/2 on a mac

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Installing C1/2 on a mac

Post by Lumberjack »

Hi guys, its been such a long time since I played Carmageddon, that I'm not even in the windows environment anymore! I know there are a couple of mac users here, so perhaps one can enlighten me on the best way to play carma on mac.

I'm running on an intel chip so think its best to avoid Rosetta- although perhaps not?

My thought would be to try to install win95/98 in Parallels and go from there. Sound good?

Also I've lost my C1 disc, but I'm sure I still have the C2 disc.

Advice would be great.

On a side note, I'm guessing its safe to assume that CarEd, being a java program, should run on mac no problem. Oh but I think I'll need PlayThing2 at some point as well..
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Re: Installing C1/2 on a mac

Post by SoupaVedg »

Well, what's even BETTER than Parallel, is to make a dual boot with Bootcamp. Though, it can only run XP or Vista. But I'm sure that you can find a used version of XP from a friend who's now on Vista/7 if you don't have a Vista cd. Then, you only need the C2 Super patch and a glide wrapper and TADA! it work well on XP! Well, except for the peds animation, but Coffey told me it was because of today's faster CPUs.

And you WANT to print those Bootcamp instructions as they tell you, it help a LOT to have them around. That's what I just did on my iMac and it run perfectly well. Though, since it's Windows, it take a while to start up/close, unlike Leopard/SnowLeopard, since it's "heavier" than the Apple OS.

Besides, since Parallel is an emulator, there are things that will refuse to work correctly, or at all on it. For exemple, I couldn't get Grid to play, since parallel emulated a video card instead of "using" your actual one. Again, I had some graphics bugs in NFS: Underground 2, same reason. Since I made my dual boot, I can play Grid and the graphics bugs of UG2 are gone, as Bootcamp install apple drivers turned into Windows drivers for all the parts of your computer that are made by Apple and install drivers of the compagnies that make the rest of the parts (For exemple, Bootcamp installed Nvidia graphics drivers for my Nvidia graphic card, true they weren't up to date, but you go to the provider's site and you can update them).
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Thanks Soup, I used to run bootcamp but when I got parallels I just migrated to that, and to be honest I dont use windows for anything anymore. I'd rather not bootcamp if I can help it. I bought parallels for a reason.

I'm still thinking 95/98 is the way to go, as I want to run C1 as well. Does C1 run on XP then?

The other option offered to me was to run them both in classic, but its not supported in newer versions of MacOSX, and also I will need to do some modelling in windows anyway.

If C1 runs ok on XP then I could just use that. EDIT: there's a thread for that here so should be fine with XP by the looks of things.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Ta, yeah no worries then, sounds like a plan. Thanks guys.
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

No problems, LJ. Though I hope you understand that I replied that way, since I thought you were new with Macs.
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Yes of course, the only reason I'd go back to bootcamp now is if there are major problems with doing this in Parallels. Anyway we will see when I get to that point :smile:
maxdamage
pedestrian

Post by maxdamage »

Thats awesome, just what i needed :lol:

The only thing missing here is the special edition Eagle II with the funny x-mas furniture on it, so you can play Tinsel Town with it and revive the x-mas demo vibes :lol:

What I need to know now is.. Will the Carm95.exe crash with Windows 7?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

What I need to know now is.. Will the Carm95.exe crash with Windows 7?
If you're talking about Tosh's Melt, then I know it runs perfectly fine under XP and Wine (Ubuntu), I haven't tested it on Windows 7 but it should work with compatability mode.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

By the way guys I can confirm that this runs fine for me on XP via Parallels. Only thing is that Parallels won't show it fullscreen but that doesn't bother me much. I've just dug out my C2 disc so that's next up. CarEd is running fine in Parallels too, although surprisingly I had to resort to DB's method of installing, i.e. putting CarEd files in the java folder.. I don't remember having those problems before! Heh well its all fine. This XP is only for carma anyway.

Check who’s online