Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma 1 too fast and jerky

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Angyl
mechanic

Carma 1 too fast and jerky

Post by Angyl »

I've just installed Carmageddon 1. I'm not sure what to search for to try and solve the problems I'm having though I have had a read through some of the other C1 technical pages and ended up very confused. I'm not very savvy with computer gubbins, but I know someone who is so I'll liase with him and anyone that can help to (hopefully) solve the problems I've got.

I've had the following problems:

1) Timer running at double-time

2) Graphics look very coarse (I know it's an old game, but I'm sure I had it looking smoother than this last time I played).

3) Audio seems choppy (this may be how it's supposed to sound, I recall it being less-than-great when I played C1 new)

4) Gameplay is choppy. It doesn't stop-start, but it doesn't feel or look smooth.

I've not installed any patches or fiddled with any of the settings outside of the initial installation. I'm running the following on the computer:

Operating system - XP

Processor - AMD Sempron 3000

Audio - Realtek AC97

Video - ATI Radeon 9550

I'm told this is a reasonable set-up and it certainly does what I need it to. If I can run GTA San Andreas, I should be able to run Carmageddon 1. I do wonder if a lot of my problems are due to the game running too fast, but I don't know what would cause that.

Any and all help and advice greatly appreciated on this score. It's great to be able to play C1 again!
Beep! Beep! SPLAT
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Carma 1 too fast and jerky

Post by coffeycup »

Ths has been discussed before. There's even a thread with practically the same title

http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... o=&fpart=1

Basically its because today's computers are so much faster than they were in 1997.
Angyl
mechanic

Re: Carma 1 too fast and jerky

Post by Angyl »

Ta muchly, shall browse those links that you very kindly provided.
Beep! Beep! SPLAT

Check who’s online