Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

New here and have some questions...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Shawdawg
pedestrian

New here and have some questions...

Post by Shawdawg »

Hello, all.

I'm new to this forum and modding my Carmageddon 2, but I've already installed the 2.0 patch, and the no cd patch to be able to play on XP and have that working right, but I do have a few questions though.

#1. Are there any vehicles that are known to cause problems with the game, like getting a black screen that freezes your computer? I also get black screen at times when I use the SMARTBASTARD code to skip the mission races.

#2. This might be a dumb question, but are the cars from Mac Apocalypse page only for Mac use, or are they for PC use?

#3. Everytime I run a race in Carmageddon 2, it usually works fine, then I decide to run another race, it skips back to the desktop and I have to reload the game. It's not a big problem, cause at least I can still restart the game (no black screen), but was wondering why that might be.

#4. And lastly, are there any mods for TDR2000 to make it ANYTHING like Carmageddon 2 (better time bonus for killing peds, easier to kill peds, ramming does more damage to other cars (rather than having to use slaughter mortars a lot to kill other cars)

I also don't use the glide wrapper, cause my game really seems to lag when I do that.

coffeycup
Genesis

Re: New here and have some questions...

Post by coffeycup »

Hi..welcome

#1 Some cars will crash the game when they try to split. But just a black screen? no.

#2 Yes! For PC too. (It'll say Mac-Only if it is)

#3 eh, my game does that too. Usually never get more than two races in a row.

#4 sorry..don't know about TDR
Shawdawg
pedestrian

Post by Shawdawg »

Thanks for the reply.

I've seen your site and love your cars (especially the Mad Max and Death Race 2000 cars (and yes, I've seen the movie and own the DVD. :smile: )

The black screen for me is very random. I'm starting to get it a lot during the middle of races, and I just hear the engine sound and my computer freezes, can't even use task manager to close, and it happens when I've run a few races and try using the SMARTBASTARD code to bypass the mission levels.

Also, when I edit the sound.txt file (copying and pasting) after getting a car with a special engine noise (Mach 5, GRX, Eagle), and then start the game, I don't get to hear the new car engine noise, just quiet when I choose to use the vehicle.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Just use a savegame? so you can select your own track? and skip any missions already? That's the only thing to avoid a black screen it seems.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

NO ENGINE SOUND - hmm, you didn't do something right then. Make sure the new WAV file made it into the SOUNDS dir.
Shawdawg
pedestrian

Post by Shawdawg »

I also got the black screen last night when I tried splitting the Eagle MK II against a checkpoint pole, and I removed a few custom cars yesterday that might have been causing problems.

The game worked fine till that point.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

C2 is a very unstable game, nothing can change it.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

#1 As far as I can tell, this is related to the exe itself and not cars / tracks etc. The game just likes to crash whenever you try to use a cheat that requires typing "S" in it while doing a mission. Not always, but more often than not. I'm not sure if that's the actual cause either, just in my own experience...but cheats like "lapmylovepump" seem to work without fail.

#3 I dunno how many add-on cars you have installed, but this quirk at least for me has always been related to the number of cars installed. On both of my pc's, I can do as many consecutive races as I want as long as there's less than 110 or so cars installed...one of the two has 99 and works without that problem.
Shawdawg
pedestrian

Post by Shawdawg »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Glad to feel welcome here.

I do have a lot of cars, that might be the problem there. I'll remove quite a bit using Carstockalypse and see what happens.

As for the engine sound problem, I have the wav files in the sound directory, and copy and paste the info in the sound.txt file, but still hear no added sounds.
humanodd
mechanic

Post by humanodd »

...copy and paste the info in the sound.txt file...

maybe u didnt paste it at the end of the sound.txt file
Shawdawg
pedestrian

Post by Shawdawg »

I did do that, but I was wondering, does capital or lowercase letters make a difference?

Cause sometimes what I paste doesn't have the same capitalization as the actual file.

I did get Glide to work using dgVoodoo, and now I see what I've been missing. :smile:
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

no, sound names are not case sensitive

attach your SOUND.TXT to your next post so we can look at it
Shawdawg
pedestrian

Post by Shawdawg »

Here is my sound.txt file...

Hope you guys can figure it out.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

There's nothing wrong with that SOUND.TXT.I don't know why it won't work.

If the .wav files weren't in the SOUND folder you'd get an error that it couldn't be found.

I tried your file on my game. At first it crashed because I didn't have some of the WAVs you added.

So I deleted the ones I didn't have and it worked fine. I had an engine sound on the Grungebuster
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

i'm new here, but i play carma2 mutch times and saw most causes of crashes.

<ul type="square"><li>Pressing T in mission or track without opponents mostly crashes a game.

<li>Broken cars may crash game, if it occurs try to remove it. (i use carstockalypse for that)

<li>Too many cars can slow down or even crash game.

<li>Broken peds also may crash it (it happened to me many times:))

</ul>

So backup every file before start modding.

Have clean installation archive if game becomes unplayable.
Сделано в СССР

Check who’s online