Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Two Versions of Carmageddon???

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
crayzkirk
pedestrian

Two Versions of Carmageddon???

Post by crayzkirk »

I have two different versions of the MAX PACK. One has only the DOS Version and the other has a Carm95 directory on the Carmageddon Disc. This has a standard Win9x Setup program. One Splat Pack has only the DOS and 3DFX versions and the other disk has the Win9x executable and no Win9x Setup program.

I have installed them and the Win9x version plays fine and looks just like the 3DFX version. I'm doing a comparison of the discs and finding a lot of files that are different. There is also an ARTREG directory on the 'newer" Carmageddon Disc. I surmise that this contains extra REGistered items for BRender to load prior to startup. These do not seem to be copied to the REG directory during installation.

I am also messing around with the Meld Patch and have found several files that appear to be misplaced on the Carmageddon and Splat Pack discs which will cause errors when the Carmageddon directory is copied over the Splat Pack directory. Carmageddon contains a bad CITY.MAT and Splat Pack contains CITYBNW3.DAT, CITYBNW3.ACT and CITYB.DAT. CITY is a Splat Pack map and CITYB is a Carmageddon map. I renamed them prior to copying the patch. The single player map files could be changed to reflect the correct car.

Initially, I had thought that the game programs were unable to support the larger number of maps. My analysis of the program using IDA indicates space for 100 maps. The use of the JOYRIDER Network cheat to enable all cars seems to cause problems when using cars that do not have their own interior artwork defined.

This may seem odd however I like the older version of the game better. Carnage Accumulator mode of network play is our weekly LAN favorite and the Win9x version runs fine under XP with no changes.

CK

Check who’s online