Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

USB sterring wheel? Possible or not?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Bettox
pedestrian

USB sterring wheel? Possible or not?

Post by Bettox »

Hi,

I'm not going to ask the usual questions about getting the game working under XP :smile: Search was my friend.

I do have a question about steering wheels though. I played C2 to death over and over again back in the day and I recently felt like having another bash so reinstalled it.

I love playing driving games with wheel and pedals, it just doesn't feel the same with the keyboard, and originally I had a Thrustmaster force feedback wheel with a joystick connector connection. Well that's a no go any more for a number of reasons. Firstly I don't think it's possible to get a joystick connector interface any more. My mobo definitely doesn't have one and I can't find a stand alone one for sale anywhere.

Mind you I don't really know why I was looking because I don't have that wheel anymore. I replaced it with a Logitech FF Pro PS2/PC wheel which has a USB connection.

I got the game working fine but I can find no way of persuading the game to recognise the USB wheel.

Has anyone else had this problem? And hopefully solved it?
Econobrick
Stucco

Re: USB sterring wheel? Possible or not?

Post by Econobrick »

I'm not sure what to suggest, but if it's any consolation, I've played c2 via dualshock / psx-to-usb converter and not only did the feedback work, but the analog sticks too. So what I'm saying is I'm nearly positive it's workable.

Hopefully, C2scientist (who, as many know, uses a steering wheel for c2) or TTR can help you on this.
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

I believe I needed a patch for it. Probably the same one I needed to get it working for XP back when XP was a little bitch.
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
Bettox
pedestrian

Post by Bettox »

I'm not going to ask the usual questions about getting the game working under XP Search was my friend.
OK, I spoke too soon. I can't get it running no matter what I do.

I've tried all the compatibility stuff, replaced the carma2_hw.exe and all I get is "carma2_hw.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close"

This happens whether I use the Glide wrapper, Direct3d or software mode.

The funny thing is I've had it running before. It was some time ago and I've rebuilt and upgraded several times since then though.

Bettox
pedestrian

Post by Bettox »

Well that bit was easier than expected. The crash appears to have been caused by Quicktime. I uninstalled it and installed the latest version and now the game starts fine. I just need to get the menu working properly now. The cursor will only go in the top left hand quarter of the screen.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Upper left corner? Which version GlideWrapper?

Mine did that too until I got 082B version
Bettox
pedestrian

Post by Bettox »

Yay!!! All working including the menu and the steering wheel.

A bit of graphical corruption on the menu and the time to points thing at the end of the level is screwed up but meh. I can live with that.
Bettox
pedestrian

Post by Bettox »

A quick update in case anyone else is experiencing the same menu problem. It turned out that it was because the Glide wrapper was set to play the game at less than the desktop resolution. I set it to play at 1600x1200 and it's all fine now. There is some graphical corruption in the menus in that the vertical and horizontal lines coming from the cursor leave lines on the screen but out of the menus it's all fine.

Incidentally I'm using the DGVoodoo glide software which seems to be working fine.

Check who’s online