Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 2 on XP

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Ripture
pedestrian

Carmageddon 2 on XP

Post by Ripture »

I hate to post something that you guys have probably answered over and over again, but my efforts to find a solution and get it working have been fruitless. Obviously it works because otherwise, I'm sure this forum would have a sticky about it.

Anyway, this is what I've tried so far. I did a new install of C2. Obviously this didn't run. I got the C2 fixed CARMA_HW.exe, no dice. I tried all 4 compatibility modes on this exe. Nope. I replaced the fixed CARMA_HW.exe with the old one and patched to 1.2 using a patch I found somewhere (the one on this site doesn't work). Tried it again just plainly, of course it didn't work. Brought back the fixed .exe and tried it by itself, then each of the 4 compatibility modes. Errors ranged from screen going black and booting back to desktop, to an int divide by zero error, to carma_hw.exe just breaking, and telling me it wont run on windows NT.

And this whole time was using the wrapper, so I used the glide graphics mode. Did I miss something somewhere? I couldn't find clear-cut instructions on getting this to work anywhere but there must be a method. It'd be great if someone could give me a hand with this. Thanks.
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Carmageddon 2 on XP

Post by coffeycup »

There's some links to a tutorial and patch on this thread.

Personally, I didn't have a problem running it on XP, so I don't know what else to tell ya.

Ripture
pedestrian

Post by Ripture »

Thanks or the reply. I followed the link and it looks like in that thread, all there is is two links by dark angel and two links by you. the planetmaim links by the both don't work. Either the site is gone or it is down. The link by dark angel for the glidewrapper is the one I used when trying to make it work and I couldn't get it to. Finally, the other link posted by you to the Wasted site was also something I used but got nothing from. The file for the 1.2 patch that they have is broken and has been for a while. I vaguely remember the last time I tried to make this work, I used that site and the 1.2 exe was broken then. I had to do some digging with google to find some obscure ftp somewhere that happened to have a working 1.2 patch exe.

And like I said, I know that it works fine for most people for whatever reason, else I wouldn't have a problem finding the solution, I'm sure. Could you at least humor me, though, and tell me exactly what you do, from install to playing? Including anything you do with the wrapper (i.e. settings, options, etc.) and any compatibility modes on any .exes?
Jon606
hit n run

Post by Jon606 »

Did you press the icon of Max (the red guy)?

Note to MOD: if this comes out twice, delete this post
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Use the settings in the attached screen, launch game, use the 3dfx version and run over peds.
Ripture
pedestrian

Post by Ripture »

Do I need to patch to 1.2 and use the XP fix? I went ahead and assumed so and used the settings you posted and carma_hw.exe errored back to the desktop. What all did you do from install to playing? Did you set any compatibility modes?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Just standard install. May have set to win 98 compatability, don't remember.
Ripture
pedestrian

Post by Ripture »

I'm gonna assume you set compatibility on CARMA_HW.exe? I tried all 4 compat's and no dice. I guess it's just not gonna work for me anymore. For what it's worth, I have a GeForce 7950 GT so by all means, it could be just that the vid card is too new or something with the drivers.

Thanks anyway though.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

LOL

No.

(on both)

I got a 8800 GTX and i know Coffey has an 8 series too, it ain't that! It should work with the glidewrapper.
Ripture
pedestrian

Post by Ripture »

Wait, both what? Which exes do I need to set compatibility on? See that's something that's kind of important to know.
AcdTrip
hit n run

Post by AcdTrip »

The shortcut on the desktop?
Your Father Wanted To Use Computers To Free The Body From The Brain!!
- We like to use automobiles -

Check who’s online