Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Add-on car making C2 use GIGs of page file memory...

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
crash
hit n run

Add-on car making C2 use GIGs of page file memory...

Post by crash »

I made a truck for C2, compiled it, and added it to my game, but when I try to use the car, it causes C2 to load forever. It isn't freezing because my hard drive light is blinking like crazy, and I caught a glimpse of the page file size that carma2_hw.exe was using and it was up in the gig range. Before I added the new truck I built the game ran fine... Anyone have a clue of what's happening? I can send it to someone to check it out on monday if possible.

BTW the truck is a bit poly heavy, at 7200+ triangles. I don't see that doing anything like this tho.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Re: Add-on car making C2 use GIGs of page file memory...

Post by random_monkey »

How big are the images you've used on the car?
random_monkey
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

It uses a total of 35 images equaling a total file size of 1.09 megs. About 6 of those are 256X256 res. The rest are smaller resolution.
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

Would someone be willing to load the car in their game and see if it's me or the car?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

yea sure, I can load it. Send it to me. (address in my profile)

You make this in CarEd? Include the .obj too
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Problem was you have too many parts grouped together in your Main group.

Don't put everything together. Make logical smaller groups, engine/tranny, suspension, interior, bed, etc.

Besides you want lots of seperate parts for detachables, like bumpers and light bars, spare tire

Check your e-mail :smile:
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

Thanks to coffey, it runs in the game now :grin:

There's a couple bugs tho, one being the steering wheel doesn't show when you use the cockpit cam...

And the other is this:

Shows up when the truck has no damage...

but disappears when any part of the truck is damaged until repair... :confused:

Other than those 2 points I'm happy with it.

Any ideas?

I'm working on a couple other things on it right now but this is what I found immediately after I ran it on my machine. I checked for duplicate parts, groups, points, etc. etc. in cared but found nothing... Also checked the wam file for duplicate entries. Nothing stuck out.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

It's weird its doing that. My conversion of the C1 APC did the same thing.

You can delete 'rockySHELL.dat' to get rid of those duplicate front wheels.

Cockpit cam: just move its position back a bit.

It's usually trial and error until you get it where you want it.
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

The shell.dat isnt important I take it? As far as the steering wheel goes, I don't even recall it showing up looking in from outside the truck either. Maybe getting rid of that dat file might help... I'll give it a shot and let you know what happens. Thanks :cool:

:edit:

I deleted that file and not only did it fix my phantom wheel, but it also fixed the invisible steering wheel :rockon:

An engine and a couple other parts and a better skin are in the works at the moment. Should be done in a week or so.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

I think the steering wheel problem is caused purely by cared.

When the car is undamaged ingame, "groove" / moving parts are displayed from the normal car model. but all other non-moving things are displayed from the shell file.

Once the car gets damaged, it displays everything from the normal model (unless you fully repair it again).

As I recall from when I made cars with it, if the steering wheel or any other part (besides the fl,fr,rl,rr wheels) has "wheel" in its name, cared will not include it in the shell when compiling. Or at least that's what remember happening if it was named "stwheel", for example.

If you were to name it like "steering" or "steer", it should show up fine, see what I'm saying?

Anyway, if cared makes that screw-up with the shell, stuff will be invisible until the car gets smashed. Unless, as yonder folks said, you delete the shell...which seems to cause no problems and forces the game to use the normal model at all times. Why the fuck did they bother with shells in the first place?! Outside of the "Steel Gonad of Death" powerup that the game doesn't even use unless hacked?! :B

Perhaps the opposite of the cared naming thingie was the cause of the extra front wheels?! Did they not have "wheel" in their name or something? (Just a hunch)
crash
hit n run

Post by crash »

Actually the wheels are made of several parts grouped into "flwheel", etc. etc. But I see what you're saying about the shell and steering wheel. And to me it makes no sense as well to have the shell but not need it. Said file was deleted and the phantom wheel disappeared and the invisible steering wheel appeared.

But I have another question for the masses now... What causes it to run out of memory for simply making one part detachable when it runs fine before that one part is made as such? I have 1024 megs dedicated for the swap file. Loads fine until I select my model. I'm doing a search now in the forums but I've had little luck... I found a thread that is similar in nature to my problem (but not exactly the same)

http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... #Post46864

I'll try removing some unecessary stuff from the wam file and see what happens. Till then I'm looking for input from anyone who might know.

Check who’s online