Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

C1 constant freezing

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Morrin
pedestrian

C1 constant freezing

Post by Morrin »

I have done everything step to step as was instructed to make carma1 work on XP with glide and VDMSound, but I still have the old problem that I have got eversince I have tried to manage the game work: it freezes. The game freezes at the first winterlevel every time. ctrl+alt+delete helps to quit it thought.

It seems that I can never make it work properly. Is there any hope, or is it the kind of situation with "1000 possible causes for this, impossible to solve".

It's a damn shame, because carmageddon is the favorite of the series for me, and now I cannot play it anymore without getting old computerer.
Morrin
pedestrian

Re: C1 constant freezing

Post by Morrin »

EDIT: Stupid me. By browsing the glide thread down a bit I found one possible way to solve this. I have to try it today.
Morrin
pedestrian

Post by Morrin »

First of all, sorry for triple posting, but I can't edit my previous posts since the time for them has expired. I tried to type the IWANTTOFIDDLE at car selection screen and various other screen lightning-fu*king-fast but it doesn't seem to work. Does it suppose to give a signal or something? What if I successfully enter it twice? It encrypts the files again?

I suppose I can skip the track, but it's still going to "haunt" me there at the levels list. Ohwell..
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Don't type it "lightning-fu*king-fast" type it slow, like one letter per second practically.

If you do it right you hear tire squeal sound. And yes, typing it a second time re-encrypts it.

You do not need to encrypt again.
Morrin
pedestrian

Post by Morrin »

I just can't get it work. I have tried for about last hour typing it in without any success. I have tried:

capslock on

capslock off

shift pressed

shift released

slowlier than seconds

about as fast as seconds

faster than seconds

at car selection menu

at race selection menu

at menu where you can select the race and car

at main menu

waiting for few secons before typing and waiting few seconds after typing

and all above mixed

Im starting to lose my sanity about now. I hoped that I could play it just for a while before I have to get on the road but seems like it has to be left for future.. if even there.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

type the line in on the menu where you see the buttons for select race, select car etc..try to keep 1 to 3 seconds in between and when youve typed it in wait a few moments to a minute.

Such a processing is done after youve typed it in the encrypting takes a while..
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I don't know why it doesn't work for you. It's the race/car selection screen.

Caps does not matter. I does take a few seconds before you hear the screech.

Do other cheats work like:

bigbottom

buyournextgame

chickenfodder

funnyjam

givemelard

goggleplex

hamstersex

igloofun

these cheats typed during gameplay but you type them at the same speed as iwanttofiddle.

Why do you want to un-encrypt the text files?

You can also use Carmagedit to edit encrypted files.

It should be available at The Spray Shop in the downloads/tools area

Morrin
pedestrian

Post by Morrin »

Nope. Still can't get it work. I try to do it with different paces and wait even more than minute but no result. The reason why I wan't to encrypt is to get the ICE.TXT open and edit it so, that it doesn't freeze the game. This problem is mentioned at pinned glide thread.

I guess I have to try the editor then. What a wast of fu*king time
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Very strange...it really should work :crazy:
TheJkWhoSaysNi
mechanic

Post by TheJkWhoSaysNi »

It took me a bunch of times too.

here, I have attached a modified ICE.TXT.. I've also done ICE2.TXT and ICE3.TXT.

One of the other Ice levels crashed, the other one didn't and I don't know which is which.

I've removed cone.txt references from the files so the posts become rock solid. Imho, it's better than losing all the peds.

I'm looking into a proper fix though but I don't really understand the Carma race file format well enough.

p.s. I'm working on a guide for playing Carma1 (And carma2) on Windows Vista. I have them both working really well :smile: I plan on providing all the necessary fixes and a pre-set up glide2x.dll for dgVoodoo.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Pheew! I already had Vista some months back but my hardware is so new they just today release beta drivers...and just for my Geforce 8800 GTX for christ sake! Still got to have the nForce 680i SLI drivers! So i cant still not go to Vista and i was really freightened it wouldnt work anymore..heh but this makes my mind rest a bit :wink:
Morrin
pedestrian

Post by Morrin »

Well, I got it working last night with the editor and it was pure bliss playing it! Thanks for all the replies and effort. Also, thanks for the attachments. Saves some time. :smile:
boglavius
pedestrian

Post by boglavius »

I got the same problem but unfortunately I am unable to solve it. Using the IWANTTOFIDDLE cheat code doesn't decrypt the reces .txt files, only the .txt files in the root of the DATA folder (like races.txt etc.).

I have used carmaedit v1.1 to modify the 3 ice.txt files but when I do, it messe them up (the time starts at 19.59 and crashes still occur).

Using the 3 files attached in this thread doesn't work (the game crashes with "cannot read races file").

I am preety shure I need to use the modified files, but encrypted. If somenoe has them, could you please attach them here?

Thank you!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Do you wait long enough so that it decrypts every file? You can hear that from the first tire squeal to the second, the second tells you it's finished.
boglavius
pedestrian

Post by boglavius »

Yup, well I got decryption fixed somehow..i copied the ice1,2,3.txt files in the data root and they got decrypted allright. I modified them (as the attached files were), re-encrypted them (would't work otherwise) but the bug is still there..the time on easy is 19:59 and on medium 49 seconds. I don't know what else gets messed up. Reading the files with the editor states the race times ok (it's in the first lines 180,..etc).

What else I don't get is why in the decrypted text there are a lot of EURO symbols (the E with 2 lines in the middle).

Guess it's the Max-pack fault since I get this error eitherway (carmagedit or cheat).

Just for kicks I encrypted the files attached by TheJkWhoSaysNi using the cheat and then run the game - same time problem. I guess there is no fix for this..other than trying another version of the game or playing the friggin levels in software mode (hires works fine with the w95 executable). If anybody else har tried this, please give me some feedback-am I doing smth. wrong?

boglavius
pedestrian

Post by boglavius »

Fixed it! I found an older version of carma and the cheat actually worked well on this one. Woopiee!
boglavius
pedestrian

Post by boglavius »

The red and white pole crash was not over..on the ice levels the came crashed if you hit one of the poles. But the crashes occured also on other levels, but in a different way. On one of the mine levels, hitting the poles didn't crash the game, but if one of the poles got torn and hit a ped, a crash would happen.

Fortunately, I found a (actually two) permanent solution for the crashes, and a lucky one too. I replaced the CONE.txt in the DATA\NONCAR folder with the CONE.txt from the same folder of the splat pack addon (see attachement). The result - you can now pass through the poles, as if they were ghosts (they remain visible though) and the game doesn't crash anymore.

There is also another solution. If you rename PHONE.txt into CONE.txt and replace it in the NONCAR folder all the cones become rock solid (as the first solution of editing the ICE.txt files). This is a bad solution IMO because in some levels (like the mines) AI cars get stuck and also some tunnels get permanently blocked this way.

Now back to the game!
dimzon
pedestrian

Post by dimzon »

unfortunally your first method is not working for me (i perform carma+splatpack combining)

When using cone.txt from splatpack or carma - ANY of them -> 3dfx version crashes

And more. Copyng ANY noncars file into CONE.TXT and changing second line to "44" -> 3dfx version crashes

Copyng ANY noncars file into CONE.TXT -> post's are solid :sad: :sad: :sad:

PS. Sorry for my poor English

Check who’s online