Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma1 & dgVoodoo

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
ChrisEvans
pedestrian

Carma1 & dgVoodoo

Post by ChrisEvans »

I havn't played Carmageddon 1 in years, it was once our favorite LAN game, I decided to investigate getting it work on my modern system:

winXP

AMD Althlon 64

nVidia GeForce 6600 GT

I tried various Glide wrappers and the only ones I have found so far that actually work with DOS applications is GliDos and dgVoodoo.

GliDos:

After paying $10 to remove the stupid spinning logo I learned that half the maps are unplayable because of a texture bug that causes the textures to flash psycadellic colours. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, does anyone have a solution?

dgVoodoo:

This wrapper fixes the texture bugs in GliDos and allows me to play the game in high resolutions (sweet), but it got a bug all of it's own. Whenever the car isn't driving on a flat surface, ie it's going up or down a hill or is in the middle of a jump, the car stutters and jerks really really badly, gives me a head ache after not long and tottally ruins the game. Has anyone else encountered this? Does anyone have a solution?

I`m really, really exited about playing Carmageddon at the LAN, it was such a brilliant fun driving game, in my opinion their hasn't been a better LAN racing game since. Has anyone ever got this game working well with a glide wrapper, if so, I would really like to hear about how you did it.

Chris

TheJkWhoSaysNi
mechanic

Re: Carma1 & dgVoodoo

Post by TheJkWhoSaysNi »

In dgVoodoo selecting timer boosting will help, but it will also speed up the game. Annoying I know. The best combonation of options is vsync @ 60hz and enable timer boosting. It lessens the jerkyness though it's still present.

Another alternative is to use dgVoodoo 1.31. Though carmageddon runs about 1/2 the frame under 1.31 than 1.4 which probably just means that the jerkyness ins't noticable.

Check who’s online