Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Can't get Carm1 to run on WinXp

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
ScottGarthwaite
pedestrian

Can't get Carm1 to run on WinXp

Post by ScottGarthwaite »

I just bought a new copy of Carm1 off of Ebay and for some reason it will not work. I finally figured out which .exe file to use to copy the game to my harddrive but when I run the game it starts out fine acting like it will work going through the Interplay Screen but then the screen goes black after it say Carmaggedon High Octane and has a little silverish grey area in the bottom right corner and fails to work without giving any type of error. Does anyone know what I should do to get the game to work? I loved playing it on my friends old system a couple years ago and decided I wanted to start playing again. I don't know if I need to somehow get the highres going (didn't understand how to since when I went into Dos and tried to do what it said in manual, it didn't work) or if I need to download the 3DFX patch (I was worried an old patch might mess up my PC's graphix altogether). Any help would be appreciated, as I'm starting to wonder if I should have bought CarmTD2000 but none of them say that they are XP compatible anyway.

Thanks for any help!

Scott G.
ScottGarthwaite
pedestrian

Re: Can't get Carm1 to run on WinXp

Post by ScottGarthwaite »

I also wanted to state that I have a Dell Dimension 4600 Series with a NVidia Geforce FX 5200 128MB DDR Video card if that will help anyone figure out what I need to do to get the game to work. I have the feeling I may need to download the 3dfx patch and maybe a glider patch to get it to work but was concerned that an old graphics driver may mess up my system. If anyone can tell me if it is not to be worried about and where I could download the drivers I need I'd be most thankful!
Bill
hit n run

Post by Bill »

Carmageddon 2 and TDR 2000 both work on the XP,I'm not sure about Carmageddon 1 as it is a DOS game and you may need a DOS emulator,I have one called "DOSBOX" but I do not know how to use it.
Speed can come in a little packages too!
Trashcat
pedestrian

Post by Trashcat »

Both Carmageddon 1 And Carmageddon Splat Pack work on XP.

Mine are both installed on a Secondary Fat 32 Drive and I also Have Glide Wrapper Installed.

Both Glide and The Normal Version Work In The Splat Pack.

TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

I cant get C1 in glide going, or it going in over 320x240 res in software mode... You should put up your exe/bat files up, I think it may be a prob with ppl getting an old release with no 3dFX mode. I got the patch but it craps out on me, and even in force install it just wont. Assness.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

I've got an early release of C1 (US version) with no apparent 3dfx parts to it.

I hadda edit the carma.bat file to read:

@echo off

MAINPROG.EXE -runme -lomem -nocutscenes

before it'd even run. It plays, albeit a bit choppy. I'll eventually screw around with it some more and see if I can't get it to work better, but this way'll at least make it playable on any XP machine.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Alan
Honkey

Post by Alan »

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but without C2 all I have is C1. DB, I did your mod to the C1 BAT since thats the only way it would even work, but was wondering if you had ever found a way to get the game working any better?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Uh, nope, not yet....but I'll drag it out and screw around with it some more. I'll keep ya posted.
TheJkWhoSaysNi
mechanic

Post by TheJkWhoSaysNi »

Take a look at the Running C1 using a Glide Wrapper thread at the top of this forum. I even posted a working carmav.exe and instructions on how to get C1 working with a Glide Wrapper in XP.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

It runs in Low memory mode. Gameplay is a little weird.

You start at 1 minute, but after a certain amount of countdown, the timer starts running at, like 2 seconds down per actual second....weird. Sound is kinda choppy on account of C1 tries to directly access the sound hardware, prolly??

Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

c1 max pack works just fine on xp, c1 itself ive never had problems with either...
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

"Sound is kinda choppy on account of C1 tries to directly access the sound hardware, prolly??"

Have you tried to run it under VDMSound? It worked for me for a couple of other old games. Real old games, like Terminal Velocity, Commander Keen, etc. :lol:

Greetz, nWo4life
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

How'n th' heck didja get THAT to happen??

nWo: I tried VDMsound and I'm not sure I could get it to work. I ran it and it popped up a dos-like box for a split second and disappeared and didn't affect shit.

EDIT*

OK, I reconfigured the Soundblster part of VDMSound and it still doesn't gimme any kinda noise atall. I run it with the stock Carma.bat and:

Gameplay runs too fast-the timer goes two seconds per actual second and sound is choppy as well as video, but is still playable.

Check who’s online