Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

help get my c1 to work

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

help get my c1 to work

Post by kelctic_findings »

ok i just got my carmageddon 2 in the mail today, so i installed it to my comp and when i go to install that game it says FATAL ERROR: to run this .exe the keyboard.COK must be in the data folder. i have checked and the file is there in the data folder right where it belongs. so is it possible to get a defective keyboard.cok file. and if someone has this could you send it to me at [url=mailto:circa404@mailblocks.com">circa404@mailblocks.com[/url] and tell me you sent it so i dont delete it. :help:
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Re: help get my c1 to work

Post by TTR »

Dont run the exe from your cd?

Or maybe a file is set to run your cd instead of the hd drive one..(like a shortcut or som)
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Indeed! It's one of those two...i went to play c1 yesterday and i didn't notice i had the cd drive selected in explorer. so i clicked on the exe thinking it was the one on the hard drive and i got that very same error.
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

is keyboard.cok a system file? if so I cant imagine why it would be defective... :crazy: most files you might have on your system like the DLLs you can just download off the net and replace the faulty one.
Was Der So Alles Kann
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

No it isnt..

its beeing made after an install by carma itself

See attachment..put it under carma/data :smile:
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

ok, i have tryed your keyboard.cok and it still doesnt work. so whjat do you suggest me to do. and i have tryed the shortcut but that also does not work. `iand also i lookes where the folder that i downloaded should be but it is no where to be found but when i run the install it sais it workes succesfully. i am downloading this to c:\interplay\carma, could thisa be the reason it is not working?
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

ive got another qeustion also, i didnt want to make a whole new post so im just gonna put it her, ok so to take a picture of what is on your monitor at the time you press prnt scrn ok and then you go to paint and paste it, well what is the usaul size of the pics beacuse when i do it my pics are about 16,243,000 bytes. and that is a lot for me to upload on my peice of shit internet. so is this normal? and is there a way to make your pic without some many freakin bytes?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Holy shit!? I didn't know a keyboard HAD a .COK

My C1 doesn't wanna work under XP atall..

***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

my maxpack works fine on xp, you could try using the splatpack patch, its updated code and .exe might allow it to work propperly.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

hmmm... i will have to try that, when i get my splatpack back from my freakin friend!
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

you can find it here if you dont already have it :lol: http://www.carmageddon.co.uk/file_details.php?id=56
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hmm...That download isn't working for me..all it does iss direct me back to the download link.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

LoL most of the downloads do on PM
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

nobodys emailed me or bandit with any problems so i can only assume its something wrong with your computer. :tongue:
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

works fine for me :wink:
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Ok then, then i email bomb you :tongue:
NitroX
nymphetamine

Post by NitroX »

so once you play the game for the first time the file configures itself? yeah, that can be a bit of a problem, your only solution then would to copy it from another computer with the same specs as your own then :crazy:
Was Der So Alles Kann
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

ok i still havent figured this shit out so heres a pic for anyone that can help me.

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Are you running C1 from the 'mainprog.exe' or from Carma.bat or hires.bat?

You CAN run it from the mainprog.exe but you have to add the -nomovie (I think that's right) switch and get rid of all the %1 %2 and shit after the 'mainprog.exe' in the carma.bat file.

Still dunno what works in XP tho.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

im runnign this from the carma.bat file, buit it does the same thing when i do it from the mainprograsm.exe, and im reallt tired right now so i cant type very well, so please excuse the crappiness of my typing. and about the hires.bat, there is no hires.bat porgram in my carmageddon cd.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Just to make sure...are you using the carma.bat on the cd itself...or the one on the harddrive where the game was installed? Because it will not work from the cd's .bat file.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

so it wont work from the cd, thats where i was using it from. ok new story, i installed it, but when i go and look where i installed it, none of the files that should be there are ther. it should be in a interplay folder right, i already have an interplay folder and carma 2 is in it. so do i have to delte carma 2 to install carma 1.
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

you can install c1 to its own directory.
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

ok i went to ms-dos manually downloaded it from there to its own diretory (c:\interplay\carma) then pretty much forced it to go off of this directory that i down loaded it from, and it gives me an error. i forgot what it says so its no big deal to me now but when i becomes a big deal i will post it on here. so dont worry bout it for now. unless you know absolutely what is wrong.
Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

is there no install.bat or install.exe on your cd?
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

yes there is an install.exe, and there is also aa moreinstall.exe, and i have done bothe of em.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Gheezus...lol...i already asked lightyears ago if you ran it from your cd, you said no :tongue: ok...nother thing what is downloading? are you copying everything from your cd to your hd? if so then its no wonder it alo askes for a keyboard.cok, anyway, you got around it? humm..look for a carm95 on your folder and run the setup.exe or install.exe, easy :smile:

EDIT: Heh? but they worked, right? after done installing just run the shortcut in the start menu :smile:
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

theres no way i cant run this from my cd unless i go to ms-dos and then i get an error, but if i go to where i installed the game (its own directory) it is no where to be found, but the installer says that it was successful. and i am installing it with the INSTALL.EXE directly from the cd. and about the setup.exe, i dont have one all i have is SNDSETUP.EXE, but here are all the programs that are in it: BOOTME.EXE, CARM3DFX.BAT, CARMA.BAT, DOS4GW.EXE, INSTALL.EXE, MAINPROG.EXE, MOREINST.EXE, SNDSETUP.EXE, and START.EXE . these are all fo the programs that i have on the cd. i put them on so you know what i have, to see if i am missing any, and if there was something else i needed to use. i have had carmageddon 1 on this computer before and i have never experienced this problem until i bought a new one. (i lost my old so i bought a new)
suicide_jockey
turbo bastard

Post by suicide_jockey »

oh, i just noticed this now cause i was to angry to think when i posted this but the name to this post sounded a little like i was commanding you to help me (i used commanding cause i cant think of any toher words right) but sorry bout that.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

You run the install from the CD.

Then pick FULL INSTALL

Then think of a folder name that ya can REMEMBER

Install to there.

You sound like yer only doing a minimal install-in which case C1 only copies the important startup progs/files to your hard drive and leaves all the goodies on the CD.

If you do a FULL install-most all of the goodies copy to your folder (which hopefully you named a simple, oneor two syllable name. Guys don't liketa hafta look for stuff in the C:\Progra~1\Gobbledygook~1\whatthefuck~1\hellamorecrap~1\ygjhxrwsqnth129685\fuckitanyways~1 folder. Too much goddamned trouble.

LEAVE THE CD IN THE SAME DRIVE YOU INSTALLED IT FROM TO PLAY THE GAME!

There's a text file in the \carma\data folder called "Paths.txt" that tells C1 where everything came from and where everything else is.

You put the CD somewheres else and C1 gets all confused and tells you to bite it.

I seem to remember the paths in those days not going much over drive D:

If your CD-ROM drive is, like "W:\" or something-you'll want to edit the "Paths.txt" to reflect that-'cause C1 looks for the CD in the "installed from" drive-letter.

If the Paths.txt is encrypted-go to TSS and get Carmagedit-it will unencrypt the file so you can edit it if necessary. If you get your C1 to run (on XP), lemme know how ya did it.
suicide_jockey
turbo bastard

Post by suicide_jockey »

yay! it worked!!!!

take a gander at this

and about the if i get it to work on xp could you tell me how, i belive is what it said. sorry but i dont know anything about windows xp, im running windows me.

Dark Angel
angelus

Post by Dark Angel »

you might well be able to get it to look better than that, add '-hires' on the end of your carma shortcut and it magicaly makes it 'hires'.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Indeed! that, and hit "+" :grin:

HiRes actually runs sort of choppy on my comp ('cause it's a substandard piece of scummage) therefore i still use lowres usually...but i modified the eagle and hawk so that they use the high res textures even in lowres, which helps a little. :crazy:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh! SHITDAMMIT! I want my C1 back!!!! Fuckin' XP...Redneck Rampage no wory, C1 no worky...I'ma gonna reformat and put ma 98SE back if this keeps up.
suicide_jockey
turbo bastard

Post by suicide_jockey »

ummm...ok, about the game not having all the levels, i thought maybe avout 10 but its missing like fifty! so could so one send me the races.txt i think it is and same with the sound, it would be highly appreciated, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im sure you get the idea

Check who’s online