Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

How I played Carma 1, Spalat Pack and Carma 2 under XP

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
benkid77
pedestrian

How I played Carma 1, Spalat Pack and Carma 2 under XP

Post by benkid77 »

Hello,

Thanks to the guide at the top of this forum I have installed and completed Carma 2 again under XP - as always it was great fun.

But I used this glide wrapper instead - dgvoodoo at http://dege.freeweb.hu/ .

The advantage of this wrapper is that it also supports DOS glide, and so I completed both Carma 1 and Splat Pack both in 3DFX mode under XP aswell. Carma 1 worked perfectly with this wrapper, with all levels rendered correctly. Splat Pack had all levels rendered correctly except for two levels (both using the 2-island scenery) which had some strange graphics effects. Although this did not affect playability, and splat pack was also totally completable. Particularly the hell level at the end looked excellent in 3DFX mode.

I had tried using the Glidos demo wrapper before, but found that the same levels in splat pack were not playable at all due to serious graphics problems with that wrapper (Although that may be fixed now in newer versions of Glidos, dgVoodoo is freeware, Glidos $10 I think).

Also, Carma 2 was completely smooth, fast and playable on every single level using the same wrapper. I got around the notorious Carma 2 'mouse menu restricted movement' bug by setting the wrapper resolution to 1024x768 (under 640x480 the glitch still presists). Carma 2 looked excellent running at this res under a DirectX stretched blit, which smooths the graphics out a bit.

I just copied the dgvoodo wrapper files into C:\windows\system (first dir on the path) and ran the dgvoodoo config form there. I also had to remove old glide wrappers from my carma1 and splat pack dirs to avoid wrapper conflicts.

Also, I notice other people have experienced the same sound crackling problem as I always have with carma 2 under XP. The fix that has always worked for me is to run 'dxdiag' (Start -> Run -> type 'dxdiag') Click on the 'Sound' Tab in dxdiag, and turn the sound acceleration right down to the lowest notch. This has always cleared up the crackling for me, with no noticable performance loss, and also no missing carma 2 sounds. Of course don't forget to turn it back up again to the max setting before playing modern games.

Now I'm playing TDR 2000 with the -f option and all game options maxed out (excellent graphics)

I just can't wait for carma 4!
Kimble
hit n run

Re: How I played Carma 1, Spalat Pack and Carma 2 under XP

Post by Kimble »

Right On!

This is the best glide wrapper yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx
kelctic_findings
turbo bastard

Post by kelctic_findings »

cool
ChrisEvans
pedestrian

Post by ChrisEvans »

I use dgVoodoo aswell,

I have but one problem with it, the car seems to stutter and jerk on the screen, it`s really very distracting. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone know hoe to fix it?
benkid77
pedestrian

Post by benkid77 »

Hi Again,

I've had a few problems getting into the forum, using Internet Explorer. (Tried multiple PCs, at home and work), I just get "username/password not found for this account" when I try to view PMs, or make a post.

Finally, this morning, managed to get in, using Firefox. Don't know what the problem with my installs of Internet Explorer and this site is, maybe it is because I use anti-spyware tools or something to do with cookies I suspect.

Anyway, the story:-

When I made the original post above, back in 2004, I was using the then latest version of dgvoodoo, and a GeForce FX5600 card. Everything was working fine (except for just a couple of splat-pack levels, which were known to be problematic)

Otherwise, Carma 1 and Carma 2 worked just great - to completion.

January 2005, I upgraded to a new system, with an ATI X800 PCI-E card, then all I could get was a BSOD on attempting to use the dgvoodoo wrapper. I didn't attempt to play carma again last year due to that problem.

Feburary 2006, yet again I setup a new PC, different X800 card (higher end), different mobo, latest catalyst drivers and latest dgvoodoo (v1.40 plus). All is working again.

However, I am now getting the car-jerkiness experienced by ChrisEvans, above. Carma 2 seems playable enough, but in Carma 1 the problem is now quite bad.

This problem never seemed to be there, back in 2004, using the Geforce FX5600 card.

So, I have to put it down to one of the following:- faster system?, ATI graphics card?, catalyst drivers, or new dgvoodoo.

I will investigate further, and if I do happen to find anything useful out, I'll be sure to post it on here,

benkid77

Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

"maybe it is because I use anti-spyware tools or something to do with cookies I suspect."

Yup. If you've got Norton installed, there's some of the "extra" (Non virus-protection) features you've got to turn off so the board will work for you.

***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***

Check who’s online