Having trouble logging in? Password not accepted? Recently some bad apples caused a bit of a ruckus around here and a few accounts had to be reset.
Please, drop Toshiba, Errol or n3wton a line and they'll sort you right out! We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause :(

What's a good way to make standalone trees?
Deep_Blue created What's a good way to make standalone trees? on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:42 am
I'm working in sketchup finishing a map (terrain) I began working on a couple years ago before I got sick.
Anyway, I looked around the net some for simple treemaking methods and tried making one by pasting a tree texture on a flat plane and then copy/pasting and rotating each copy a few degrees on it's centerline. I wasn't really impressed with the results.

Attachment:
Ugtree3.jpg
Ugtree3.jpg [ 111.14 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

Attachment:
Ugtree2.jpg
Ugtree2.jpg [ 37.08 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

Attachment:
Ugtree1.jpg
Ugtree1.jpg [ 35.99 KiB | Viewed 1030 times ]

Then I tried push/pulling the leafy part of the tree into a 3D shape only to end up with a horrible boxy- looking tree.

I need some pointers. I got tree lines and rings down using Coffey's method of alpha treelines in front of non-alpha'd trees background to give the illusion of depth but I wanna make a halfway believeable standalone, fairly low poly tree.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Razor on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:21 am
The problem looks more to be with the texture than anything, the leaves get cut off by the edge of the face.

Also, using XP in 2016?
[ Razor @ Carmajunkies ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
For information about the progress of my TDR2000 to Carma2 mod visit my site @ http://r.carmajunkies.com
Toshiba-3 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:09 am
Realistic lowpoly trees really are a pain in the neck. I guess you could check C2S' Cruisemap to have some other ideas. I tend to rely on C1/C2 original trees as they fit right in the engine limitations. As for the trees you're working on I concur with Razor that avoiding cutting the edge of the texture would give a more natural look on them.

A simple advice: try to deform the cylinder that serves as trunk. (I mean something simple like this)
A problem that may arise if your foliage is made of too many tris is it turning into a blinking texture fest as per usual :/
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:14 pm
Razor: Yeah. I'm on an old netbook from '07. It's all I've got that I can play/mod on.

Ok Tosh. Yeah, the texture cutoff is shit. I was mainly concerned with the shape.
I forgot about the blinking texture fest....

Oh well. The model won't export to .3ds anyway since I started adding stuff.
Time to start removing stuff till I find the screwed up part.
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Pages: 1

Extra information
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:48 am,

Please Register a username.
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests