Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Disable Images for mobile web Browsers setting

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

seems like coffeycup and at least and probably quite a few others would appreciate a way to switch on and off viewing images posted while browsing the forums so that a phone's internet doesn't get strangled quite as easy.

thanks.

[edit] grrr, i'm senile today, topic title fixed [/edit]
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I never asked to disable all images. Not sure how you it so 'wrongly'.. All I asked was for a little common sense when posting. Apparently that was an outlandish request on my part. What was I thinking, sorry. This is the Internet; common sense, respect for others has no place. Heh..
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I seem to be getting increasingly negative, It seems like everything is a porblem to me now. Images, the way people talk, the things they sugest,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjb7rC-RnVc

But back on topic Im not just here to cause a problem, But a sugestion from me,

Since we seem to have diffrent types of charactors, on this site, I mean Ive posted very large images at some points. but mostly when Im showcasing mods and such, But! My proposal! would be to have a setting of.. Hide images from: (insert name)

So. if we get one particular person who freequently posts lots of large images from goodle in cirten topics the images from just that person could be blocked, as not to disrupt too much of the site for the phone user,... Rember when you used to make calls on your phone!?.. I only have a land line.

Or..... We could jsut get some mods to tell people to stop over posting images, and making sugestions in the wrong treds, etc etc,

'It's too bad stupidity isn't painful'
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

nothing wrong with posting images, nothing wrong with posting tons of images, you may not have asked for it coffey and i'm sorry you think it was suggested only for your benefit, you're sorely mistaken, it's a bit of a staple on a lot of forums to be able to not view them and i'd be surprised to find others wouldn't appreciate it as well.

therefore, you had no need to ask, if i still owned a cell phone i'd personally probably want this as well, positive i'm not the only one either.

either way, the point i'm making is how is an improvement not simply because someone's ego gets in the way?

[edit] i kinda like maxine's idea too, honestly though maybe being able to disable images on a per thread as well as per username basis would be best though? [/edit]
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I think the most common fuckton of images prevention is the one where you can say.. Only post 10 or so images per post, GTA forum I used to be on did that, Sorry you have posted too many images, etc, tho.. this would screw up us comic makers too?

Whatever everything works for me,
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

hell even if images were initially hidden inside something that functions like

Spoiler:

hi

tags and has to be expanded/opened before the image was downloaded would be nice too.

[edit] spoiler tags broken? odd [/edit]

just to be clear.

except instead of containing text it would be meant to be nested inside of

Spoiler:

[img]images (pretend :P)[/img]

like so.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

You still download images even when they're hiding in a div so that does not help the 3G/landline people at all.

I just stop visiting threads that I know have too many useless images.
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Yep, looks like something broke spoiler tags - just looking into it now!
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
Ventrance
driver

Post by Ventrance »

Mad_Maxine wrote:We could jsut get some mods to tell people to stop over posting images, and making sugestions in the wrong treds, etc etc
Another theoretically possible option could be to, instead of asking users to not post or post less, to ask them for two pictures. One original size and one thumbnail of a certain size and to add a setting that, when enabled, only shows/loads the thumbnails.

Or am I being unrealistic now?
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

CoffeyCup wrote:You still download images even when they're hiding in a div so that does not help the 3G/landline people at all.

I just stop visiting threads that I know have too many useless images.

ah balls, it does still download the image if we do it that way, i wasn't quite sure and couldn't be bothered to find out for sure, don't have a cell anymore either so checking would be hard.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

To be honest it's extremely annoying when people post dozens of pointless images even when I view such threads on my cable connection. It's not the loading which is annoying, it's the fact you have to scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and, usually, miss out on actual relevant posts sandwiched between two Google Image enthusiasts because you've scrolled too much. Especially annoying on mobile devices where there isn't a scroll bar to quickly jump down the page.

I certainly agree that posts should be limited to 10 pictures, though I doubt that would stop people who spent that much time copy and pasting dozens of links in their post in the first place, they'd just split it across multiple posts. What baffles me is how they expect anyone to actually look through the many images they post? Pretty much everyone ends up just skimming through to the end, which makes the posts nothing but obstructions.
a.k.a. Brent
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Just a quick update (though off-topic from the OP) - spoiler tags are now back and working :)
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

nice to know shane.

and yeah i'll give you that much trent, it can be a bit much to slog through and asking people to put them images all in one gallery on a single site won't happen, maybe a threshold is the wrong way to approach it? just if the post has any images collapse them by default.

Check who’s online