Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

No one has posted here in a while...

All things Carmageddon TDR2000 related - hey, it's got multiplayer.
The_Devils_Avocado
motorised death

Post by The_Devils_Avocado »

[post, now!] Need i say more...? [/post, now!]
Noodlez
road raged psycho

Re: No one has posted here in a while...

Post by Noodlez »

yes you need say more

I got snow yay, I got snow yay
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

pete kicks ass, for a gay guy that is
Defcon
hit n run

Post by Defcon »

what REALY good about tdr ???????????//

imo nothing that realy explain a relese of a new game.
The_Devils_Avocado
motorised death

Dont slag off TDR, you'll stir up a whole fucking bee colony, never mind just one hive.
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

People felt EXACTLY the same way when Carma2 was released.
The_Devils_Avocado
motorised death

Yeah exactly, except one or two people decided to give it a chance, make some effort and show some interest in editing. Now look where it is today!

The problem here IMO is the stubborness amongst the "vets" of C2 editing, not wanting to give TDR a chance. This then means only a small, different community can build up around TDR, because no one wants to leave C2. I just don't see why people can't accept TDR, even if they dont like it. Other people like it and its a shame to see only a select few trying to edit it. Not only does this mean its going to stay *crappy* for longer, but it also deprives TDR fans of reasons to stick with it. If C2 modelers/editors would only work on TDR, even at the same time as C2, it would become good. You don't have to leave C2 behind to work on TDR, be open minded for christ's sake and work on both. Ignoring a game which is much better (in terms of the engine it uses) because "you don't like it" (boo-hoo, poor you) is utterly futile and ridiculous! Get off your high horse and help make it better if its so rubbish! Jesus.

:mad:

Anyway thats my rant, i feel like Hellspawn. At least we share the same ideas.
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

You have many good points. I still believe the main reason so many people refuse to accept TDR is it's not the Carma2 expansion they originally expected. The game still has a huge following. Most of the people who play TDR regularly don't even know about this forum.

Anyway, Hellspawn's recent post at LOD is a good example of things to come. He was one of my favorite C2 car author dealies back in the day, and it's cool to see him getting more interested in TDR. Maybe more people will make the switch. It's also cool to see Beroc and some others looking back into the mystery of track editing. That's like a whole new world that hasn't been looked at in the Carmageddon community.
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

Since Hellspawn never replied to " Texture size limit" here we go with cut 'n paste of my opinion, which i think explains it crearly:

-----------------------------------------

nah... untill i see damage alike C2 in TDR i'll never play it again (tho, it's installed on all of my machines). I play Carmageddon not for atmoshpere, not for tracks, not for plot or anything else... cause i don't feel orgasmic or fun to drive over pedestrians or crash my opponents... i care only about the car i drive and its damage. I play C2 because it simulates somewhat _decent_ damage. For me TDR is only good as a game, but not something really interesting.

-TDR is a game with excellent graphics, but lacks good damage system.

-C2 is a game with excellent damage system, but lacks good graphics.

Damage is what makes Carmageddon for me, that's what got me in to this game, nothing else. Probably same goes for other people who don't want to call TDR the Carmageddon 3 because of this "damage" problem. Since everyone was waiting damage to be in first place as far as sequel goes, but it turned out other way.

aye?

-----------------------------------------

Yes, on another note you might say - "stick with TDR and try to fiddle with damage system yourself and set it up as you (i, boose) want." I don't think damage in TDR will ever be as cool as in C2.

ImageImage
Beer galore!
Hellspawn73
speed freak

Post by Hellspawn73 »

...yeah sorry 'bout that Boose...as you can relate that ranting really came from a drunken stupor after being with the family all day...but I'm glad i did it but it was more off the cuff and needed to let what i said really sink in and think about it. I jus replied to that post...we could jus use some help...only having a set of eyes or two looking at a game isn't that much in going towards understanding and hacking a game...that allows alot of room for concepts to be overlooked and solutions not found since there is such a limited perspective. I have relied on B to set up Cheetah and I did a Squadrod2 when the game first came out so I never really explored the possibilities...and that's where the problem lies...but I do promise that the more as I learn the more my focus will be on that since these are improvements I would care to see as well.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

The problem here IMO is the stubborness amongst the "vets" of C2 editing, not wanting to give TDR a chance. This then means only a small, different community can build up around TDR, because no one wants to leave C2. I just don't see why people can't accept TDR, even if they dont like it. Other people like it and its a shame to see only a select few trying to edit it. Not only does this mean its going to stay *crappy* for longer, but it also deprives TDR fans of reasons to stick with it. If C2 modelers/editors would only work on TDR, even at the same time as C2, it would become good. You don't have to leave C2 behind to work on TDR, be open minded for christ's sake and work on both. Ignoring a game which is much better (in terms of the engine it uses) because "you don't like it" (boo-hoo, poor you) is utterly futile and ridiculous! Get off your high horse and help make it better if its so rubbish! Jesus.
No.
random_monkey
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

by that logic:

stop playing TDR and START playing Double Dragon II! It doesn't matter if you like it or not, PLAY IT BECAUSE I SAY IT'S GOOD!! :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I gave tdr a chance and... i didn't like it. But that doesn't mean i think everyone who plays TDR should abandon it and play something else...do what ya like!
Boose
turbo bastard

Post by Boose »

Bwahehehehe!! Good idea! Fuck carmageddon, where's mah ROMs...?
ImageImage
Beer galore!
Danger from the core of hell
driver

Post by Danger from the core of hell »

i see nothing worng with the TDR damage system it has. in C2 the body work comes off in panles, which are big too. but yet not game has really captured parts ripping off and looking like the substance it made out of. also the gearing in the cars it way out and the the 0-60 speed it to fast.

well i see it as this. people rush the devlopment of there games and don't really capture the realism. like when some people skin, they haven't taken the time to make a good damaged skin or just leave it the same as normal skin. what are you rushing for - you only get out what you put it something and the more hard work you put in and better it's going to be

what i'd like see done is wind have an effect of the cars. when you get at high speed the car just starts striping down to the roll cage or the spolier cracks in half and start scarping of the ground and loses colour.

many things in this world have be half done and it would be nice to find a racing game that has everything we all want and need. :cool:

:grin: hopefully some really good programer reads some of the stuff us here discuse and do it and not just go 'yer yer, toss on' and keeps drinking there coke from the takeway on the conner
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

GTA Rulez!
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

The reason the games weren't made to what they should have been made like is because of sci - stainless got forced into finishing it before full completion, unsure about tdr. Personally I wouldn't have released it :wink:
random_monkey
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

"what i'd like see done is wind have an effect of the cars. when you get at high speed the car just starts striping down to the roll cage or the spolier cracks in half and start scarping of the ground and loses colour."

You saw Fast and the Furious one too many times. I've never seen wind tear a car to pieces unless it was in a tornado or something. Wind should have an effect on steering at high speeds, and nothing more. But, as far as I know, not a single racing game accomplished this. There's also the possibility if you make Carmageddon too realistic it loses its edge.
Danger from the core of hell
driver

Post by Danger from the core of hell »

I only know every line in F n F :lol:

i think GT 3 A-scep has slip streaming effects and alittle bit of wind/speed reduced but i only noticed on

the test cousre.

another thing i don't like about C2 is how the cars don't ride over bumps in the road properly and get to much air of the speeds there moving at. like jumpping the bump truck in Mr.Jolly Fun Park - looks cool but when you hit a little incline in the road and you go flying

oh well we cant have it all.C2 is still a great game and i still injoy playing it. It will be like that for a long time too :cool:
Beroc-Lord of Destruction
road raged psycho

Post by Beroc-Lord of Destruction »

heh... give it some time..... you let me figure out how to make a track in tdr, and I will show you how versitile the engine truely is, and how much tech from track making for higher end games like Need for Speed can be applied to it....

I can however give some clues about the damage system in tdr, though it probably wont have very good effects.... for anyone who wants to play with it..... all the damage is controlled by the main data collision mesh, and the car_deform_Bits.txt file... I would enjoy anyone elses findings on that subject....
CADster
turbo bastard

Post by CADster »

You saw Fast and the Furious one too many times. I've never seen wind tear a car to pieces unless it was in a tornado or something. Wind should have an effect on steering at high speeds, and nothing more. But, as far as I know, not a single racing game accomplished this. There's also the possibility if you make Carmageddon too realistic it loses its edge.
ive seen a video of a mustang hood getting ripped off. the car was doing something like 160 mph !!

amen B !!!!

Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

well, i doubt thats to difficoult if the hood is open....

wind just can catch the underside... and then the hood is gone....

also brick walls/mountains/walls and those kind of thingies can have a less than funn affect on yr car... only so ya know :grin:
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."
Savage-Elve
road raged psycho

Post by Savage-Elve »

The only single reason I still didn't switch to TDR is just simple; still can't get a copy of it.

My idea of the game, hearing things from here is that it's just different, and I will have lots of fun installing them both.

I think this isn't really adding something to this discussion.

Never mind.

Don't shoot me, i'm just the piano player.
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

I play TDR more. Why? Well...I don't have C2 anymore. :b

Stupid me, went and got rid of it. >.<

No but really, I like TDR. It's mostly because of the levels. Like the desert level, in C2 it's full of bumps and your car spends 90% of the time in the air. That isn't fun. I like speeding up my car to the max speed and play chicken with my opponents. (And I NEVER chicken!) Plus the city levels are much more fun, they're more post-apocalyptic. Filled with strip bars, bordellos and scum, it's fun to speed into a group of hookers and watch 'em fly!

Besides, I enjoy the whole series just because they're FUN. Too much realism isn't fun.
Mustang
Hot Sexy Man Beast

Post by Mustang »

Mabey is because we're scared of change and thats why alot of people haven't moved onto TDR

or

We still haven't reached the point were C2 couldn't get any better - yet

I like the handleing of the cars in TDR because when i play C2 im only tapping the gas trying to get control of the car but it still goes flying :eek: It would be cool if someone made enother T/C for C2 because Banger T/C is sweet :grin:

I've also got a question - Do you have to buy stuido max 3d or is it downloadable some were :confused:
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

or the fact that any dumbass could make shit and set it up for c2, not so with tdr
road raged psycho

heh... setups for tdr are actually easier then c2... with the right programming....

Modeling is also faster for tdr then c2, mapping is faster... shoot, most everthing is faster and easier to do in tdr then c2... I just think most of the guys who refuse to do anything for it are simply anal, about the small stuff or too lazy to do anything worth while with programming that can actually mean something....

After all, how many major gaming companies are requireing the use of CarEd?????
Buzz
road raged psycho

Post by Buzz »

how can it be easyer, all you do in c2 is change a few text files
road raged psycho

Oh yeah.... change a few text files and bam... new car...... change a few text files and bam new track.... I see how easy C2 is now... Forgive me for doubting you.....
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

LOL. by the way, sweet looking Aliens APC you have at LOD, Beroc :smile: Looks better than anything from the AvP games.
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

That Alien APC looks very very nice! http://www.lod3d.net
Kruszchev
Proffesional Maniac

Post by Kruszchev »

originaly posted by Buzz

how can it be easyer, all you do in c2 is change a few text files

what i think he means is that its easer to change the physiks on a car or a track than in tdr...

Modeling in TDR, i dont know anything about that... never tried that... never liked TDR, i think it didnt have the C1 or C2 feeling that i love (actualy thas the only reson that i stick to C2)
"One chicken in a thousand is hatched near a road. One in every ten thousand of those ever tries to cross it. Half of them are run over by cars."

Check who’s online